Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think the wiki has hinted that faster smelters might be planned, but I doubt they will appear anyway. The alternate recipes for use in the Foundry and Refinery fulfill that function instead. There's various "alloy" recipes you can find for the Foundry, that combine two different ores (or an ore and an ingot) to make ingots more efficiently or faster, and there's also various "pure ingot" recipes you can find for the Refinery that typically combine ores with water to make much more ingots for the ore. The cost of using those recipes is more complexity in production lines, and more power use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
While you can build over existing miners to upgrade, the game is stupid as gently caress about it.

A mark 2 miner costs 2 remote miner tools. A mark 1 only costs 1. But to upgrade, you need to have 2 in hand as it doesn't recognize the old initial one in the mark 1. So, I don't know which function is exactly the case, but it either consumes both of the ones in your inventory and refunds the one from the old miner, or it uses the one from the old miner and one from your inventory and leaves the extra.

Either way you end up with an extra, useless remote miner in your inventory unless you deconstruct the miner first, which defeats the point.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Honestly I was expecting it to be a case where it deleted the extra miner :v:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Started from scratch with update 3, have been going very slowly because I'm trying to get a friend to join in, and haven't had much luck getting him to play more than a half-hour a week.

This is basically my base with just the tier 1-4 stuff. I've got the space elevator loaded to unlock tiers 5 and 6, but am waiting for my friend to hit the button.

You know what purely cosmetic thing I'd love for them to implement? We've got walls with snap-points for conveyors. How about floors with snap-points for conveyor lifts?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

LifeSunDeath posted:

That's a really nice looking building. I never enclosed any of my factory, it just felt unsatisfying. They should give you some kind of production bonus, or weather considerations that gamify making buildings, i think that would keep me more engaged in the cosmetic aspects of the game.

Thanks, friend. So far the only bonus you'll get is performance, and since my computer is pretty beefy, I mostly do it because I like making stuff look good. I think I'm gonna keep all my refinery and oil stuff outside though, because that's the aesthetic that fits there.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Am I trying too hard to relive the magic of Titan Fall 2 or does wearing runner boots and sprinting, jumping and crouch sliding faster then vehicle transportation?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Leal posted:

Am I trying too hard to relive the magic of Titan Fall 2 or does wearing runner boots and sprinting, jumping and crouch sliding faster then vehicle transportation?

I really wish it worked like Tribes though, until then, yeet cannons all day.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is the only way to get the beter walls through the extra crap shop?

If I get one of those special walls and place it badly.. and I dismantle it.. I get the wall back right?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

tater_salad posted:

If I get one of those special walls and place it badly.. and I dismantle it.. I get the wall back right?

You’ll get the blue print not an actual wall

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

tater_salad posted:

Yeah, everything in the game has a 100% refund, but just to be clear: you buy a blueprint for the wall, not just one unit of wall.

e:f;b

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Gocha.. wasn't sure and didn't want my overflow storage to have gone to waste.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
drat getting rid of screws is a game changer, isn't it?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Nine out of twenty eight machines in my HMF factory are for screws. Now that I have the jetpack, I'm not stopping until I'm screwless.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm working on building a massive vertical sushi bus and eurgh, having it up and running is going to be great but the actual process of building it kind of sucks

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm working on building a massive vertical sushi bus and eurgh, having it up and running is going to be great but the actual process of building it kind of sucks

:same: I settled in the dune desert region of the map after starting in the first area. I'm currently almost done pulling every resource node in the region into my base, but it's so tedious, but when I'm done I'll have more resources than god till I don't, and need to expand outward. The shittiest thing about it is I only have up to tier 3 belts so far, so I know I'm running more lines than i need to but I've been procrastinating on setting up oil because :effort: and there's none in the region, but I'm going to have to once I get the last branch of belts into my base because if not, what else is there to do?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's oil south/south-west of the dune desert. I like going that way as opposed to going straight west for it. Because right below that is Aluminum and Uranium.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
In playing Satisfactory with my spaghetti factory (haven't gotten to Let's Game It Out level yet, it makes me wish that there was a real 'factory' just like mine at a place like Disneyland when I was a kid. I could wander around, trying to trace exactly where everything went and what everything was for. And then wandering away from the main part and discovering coal factories and oil refineries and whatever else is in my base's future. I'd have been in seventh heaven. They could have dropped me off in that exhibit and left me there all day.

I could see myself, holding my dad's hand (my dad was a physicist who also did engineering) and having him explain everything and the ratios and why this equaled that. Would have been way cool.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Leal posted:

drat getting rid of screws is a game changer, isn't it?

Screws and wire are both annoying cuz anything that needs em needs a bunch so it is easy to run out of belt capacity parallelizing production. Alt recipes to get around or even simplify em (hello making wire & screws directly from iron ingots!) are nice indeed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's what I hate about wire as well. It stacks in 500s so the recipe calls for 30 of them, but there's no way to balance that on a mixed belt.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I wish there was some kind of intermediate on-track transport between belts and trains that let me shuttle resources from medium distance sites without spanning long, ugly belts across the landscape, or building trucks prone to getting stuck or running out of fuel for no reason. Transport pods on overhead tracks or cargo hyper-tubes or something. Setting up a dedicated train line for one node is just a little bit too much.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

I wish there was some kind of intermediate on-track transport between belts and trains that let me shuttle resources from medium distance sites without spanning long, ugly belts across the landscape, or building trucks prone to getting stuck or running out of fuel for no reason. Transport pods on overhead tracks or cargo hyper-tubes or something. Setting up a dedicated train line for one node is just a little bit too much.

They need to allow for jump pad box throws.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

God drat I am bottlenecked hard by Heavy Modular Frames and all the good poo poo needs a ton of it.

I'm actually stalling all my plans to go make an outpost dedicated to the bastards just so I can make as many trains as I want.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Black Griffon posted:

I haven't started playing around with trucks yet, but according to Kibitz they only actually 'drive' (and can get stuck) if they're within a certain distance of you. Beyond that, they just teleport from navigation node to navigation node and run fine. It might be useful to just set up the truck stop far enough away to get that behavior and run belts in from there?

EDIT: Admittedly this may just be the worst of both worlds.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I avoid trying to build things like that simply because buildings are so drat huge in this game. The only way to build anything is to just build 4x4 foundations straight up and then build out from there just to have enough room to place things.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Ignoranus posted:

I haven't started playing around with trucks yet, but according to Kibitz they only actually 'drive' (and can get stuck) if they're within a certain distance of you. Beyond that, they just teleport from navigation node to navigation node and run fine. It might be useful to just set up the truck stop far enough away to get that behavior and run belts in from there?

EDIT: Admittedly this may just be the worst of both worlds.

Yeah I've noticed the pathing behavior and trucks certainly work fine enough, but I just don't find them... elegant enough.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Black Griffon posted:

Jesus loving christ in heaven this took a lot of time. Holy gently caress. At least now I get 2.81 heavy modular frames per minute.

This factory looks amazing and is what I aspire to build once I unlock enough stuff to start taking down the "temporary" starting base I've built up

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Uhh I forget who asked about 'better smelters"...

While you don't get better smelters in themselves, you do get a few superior alternate crafting recipes for refining ore using water and ore in a chemical plant. That is really handy for throughput.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Given how much more power you'd need, though, it might be easier / more energy efficient to have a train running to a second resource node, rather than converting all your smelters to alt recipes.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I don't know why I waited till tier 5 to start putting mats into the Awesome Sink but I've finally got all of the extra construction bits. I feel like I can really start building semi-permanent structures now.

Everything I've set up so far is offensive to look at.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm fond of building platforms out in the mountains to move stuff around easier (and to get my trains around) so that Awesome Shop thing that lets you build cosmetic columns was welcome. Yes, I can violate physics with no gameplay repercussions but it makes my brain hurt to see platforms jutting out of rock walls with no support.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Speedball posted:

I'm fond of building platforms out in the mountains to move stuff around easier (and to get my trains around) so that Awesome Shop thing that lets you build cosmetic columns was welcome. Yes, I can violate physics with no gameplay repercussions but it makes my brain hurt to see platforms jutting out of rock walls with no support.

:same: and those concrete support pillars look great on bridges.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

I've set up a warehouse for basic materials, ingots, plastics and so on. The idea is the train loops around all the different resource nodes that process the ores/oil into these materials and picks it all up, then brings it here for processing. Then trucks are used to bring these materials to different factories that make other stuff.

Well its been a few days but

I got truck stops lined up with belts feeding the fuel and material to export out to factories. I figure one dedicated truck per factory to bring materials to the factory, a series of smart splitters to separate out everything and an extra truck stop with overflow materials that get shipped back when the truck returns will get things going.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is the alternate recipe for steel (iron bars + coal) better? Or is it just good if you want to centralize iron ore -> iron bar?

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Oxyclean posted:

Is the alternate recipe for steel (iron bars + coal) better? Or is it just good if you want to centralize iron ore -> iron bar?

I've only been playing for a few days, but there is a nice alt recipe for iron bars (iron ore + water), so that combined with the alt recipe for steel could be pretty great.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Oxyclean posted:

It's 50% more steel per iron/coal, it's amazing.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

https://satisfactory.gamepedia.com/Hard_Drive#Useful_recipes

list of useful alt recipes and not so useful ones.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SynthesisAlpha posted:

It's 50% more steel per iron/coal, it's amazing.

I probably should have realized that by comparing numbers. :doh: I was wondering if maybe I was just confusing myself somewhere along the way.

I spent a good hour setting up 2 normal iron deposits with a rich coal deposit which eventually fed 6 foundries thanks to the recipe and was nearly saturating a t3 belt. Felt good, until I plunked down some beam and pipe makers and realized just how quickly I used up my production.

I found a bunch of power shards so I think I have an option to scale it up. Just kinda wish I planned ahead a bit better since I don't know if I have the space or not.

When they say "oil is limited resource" can nodes literally run out? Or is it just that there's not really enough nodes to waste on other things?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 18, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Just launched the final tier of the space needle :woop:

Ada didn't say anything. And tier 8 doesn't exist.

I don't know how I feel about this.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It will whenever they add whatever is next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

When they say "oil is limited resource" can nodes literally run out? Or is it just that there's not really enough nodes to waste on other things?

I think they mean, the nodes are few and far between, but no it doesn't run out that I know of.