Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I'm trying to get to t3. Is there any way to move materials into an Assembler faster than the belts I currently have, or do I have to wait for 24 goddamn screws to march their way in there for every reinforced plate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
About 8 hours of gameplay in, I think it's about time for me to shelve the game until 1.0. It's real good, but I think I'd burn out trying to keep up with everything.

Highlights for me included:
  • Finding something to do while waiting for my reinforced plates to autocraft, so I built a jump pad relay out to my far outpost!
  • Immediately afterward, realizing that I had spent all the reinforced plates I had autocrafted so far on jump pads.
  • Not finding enough alien carapaces to do the 10 research until I had finished literally everything else in the alpha
  • Realizing I could run more than one coal power plant off a coal miner
  • Finally turning off all my biofuel generators because my coal is fully automated
  • That space elevator build animation. That was wonderful
  • Turning the plateau above my base into Bell Hell Central. It is truly a sight to behold and a nightmare to navigate.

Is there currently any way to make a rebreather or a gas mask to deal with the poison gas? That's the main thing that usually got me to abandon an area.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

CuddleCryptid posted:

PSA, don't be a dumbshit like me and spend hours running back and forth to the hub. Just build a crafting bench next to your storage units like God intended.

Related to this: Don't be a dumbshit like me and immediately diassemble crafting benches when you make your ten cables or whatever. Just leave them dotting the landscape or next to your outbuildings so you can stop rebuilding them!

totalnewbie posted:

I would really like a global grid I can snap to to fulfill my sperg needs.

Build everything on grass, embrace the wonky gridless lifestyle

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Cobbsprite posted:

I actually found that I exclusively use conveyor belts and don't use trucks for shiiiiit. I built one (1) truck and used it one (1) time to carry construction materials and as a portable workbench, but haven't done dick with it past that. Conveyors are so much more convenient, and also double as fast travel infrastructure. What's the benefit to vehicles?

I've been using a truck as mobile storage for sizeable builds because I find I just can't carry enough materials to finish a construction project on my own. I was just setting up steel production last night and I would have had to make multiple kilometer+ treks back to base for more supplies if I didn't have a trunk full of iron plates and advanced plates. Even with a trunk full of supplies, I still ran out of cable and iron plates while running power and a belt back to base.

Other than just as storage, trucks don't seem fast enough to be worth it, plus they destroy all the sweet sweet biomass it touches, and I can't stand wasting resources.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Evilreaver posted:

Not only that, it can remove rocks and boulders in that area effect, and can 'target' small plants (to help catch the rocks)

Is that how I get rid of boluders? I've been waiting to get dynamite or something to use this coal node I found with a giant rock on top.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Demiurge4 posted:

Power transmission poles should also have some loss so you don’t just keep one giant power grid.

Having to balance a power grid was the worst part of modded Minecraft and would be just as bad in Satisfactory. I just want to build cool factories, not fiddle with wiring so I make sure to step up/step down power for long distance travel or whatnot.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The whole biomass burner problem could be alleviated by moving coal to Tier 2. Tier 3 seems pretty far along for something so essential as automatable power when T2 has jump pads.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Jamsque posted:

I'm fairly sure that neither you nor anyone else in this thread knows anything of significance about their engine,

It's using UE4, which anyone can download and play with. I think a lot of people know something about the engine.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

VegasGoat posted:

Is it just me or is the rebar gun worthless?

I can't hit anything with the rebar gun. It feels like the projectile hitbox is a few feet to the left of where the projectile model or something.

Plus I need those two inventory spaces for construction materials.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

LonsomeSon posted:

Factorio has a fixed perspective and no z-axis for buildings, some of the buildings in Satisfactory are so large that if you're standing on the same surface as them when placing them, their edges are WELL out of frame.

I professionally work with a lot of automated manufacturing machines and I appreciate that the scale of these sophisticated and modular devices relative to how large the player character feels in the game space feels viscerally correct, but once you are slamming down rows of T3 manufacturers and especially oil refineries it leads to this scale dissociation which would be appropriate if the scale of the game zoomed out at a certain point and you either weren't a body climbing around equipment to make connections, or were controlling one more like a platformer and less like an FPS.

I'd be happy with a camera drone that could be deployed for an aerial view. Just let me pull it down and reuse it. It would make another good use for biofuel.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Dr. Stab posted:

Yeah. You can also pass the save file around and it will keep proper track of who's who. I did that with my friends because being the host is a better experience and it's good to spread that around.

I have the worst internet of my friends and the only computer that can run the server. I pity my friends.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Last night I was getting frustrated at the power supply issues I was having in my factory. I'd put up a new bank of coal plants only for the power to trip ten minutes later, leading to me making more fuel plants, and I was pretty sure I wasn't supposed to be running out of power that fast.

Then I noticed that the two ends of my factory had two different numbers for power capacity :shobon:

Long story short, a ~1m wire connection took me from constant power outages to ~2k MWH power surplus. Be careful how you pull out your biomass generators, kids!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

LonsomeSon posted:

Also, completed my very first train loop in Satisfactory last night. Hoooly gently caress how are conveyors so straightforward, but rails so finicky?!

:yeah: At least riding the trains is a lot of fun! And the animations look really good!

I'm not looking forward to hooking up the second/third/fourth train loops I'm going to need to get the rest of my products back to my mall, but I'm gonna do it! It's either that or go find that my buddy is belting 480 bauxite/sec back 1.5km back to base on level 1 belts. Again.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I hate how hard it is to get tracks to go straight in a direction. My tracks sort of meander around in a shallow s-bend everywhere and while it doesn't seem to be causing any problems it's still annoying.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Dr. Stab posted:

There's more alt recipes than drives. The game used to have an issue where it would crash after researching a drive with no recipes left to find.

Also, the rule for despawning enemies is different in update 3. It used to be that if you built anything in their radius, they would never respawn. Now, you need some number of running factory buildings within a radius.

Hopefully we can just buy extra drives from the coupon store. Make them expensive and equal to the number of extra recipes, that would be a real simple way to fix it.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Cojawfee posted:

I haven't even bothered with guns in this new playthrough. I remember the rebar gun sucking and the rifle being worse. I just sprint with my giant sword and leap over them as they charge me. And just stock up on berries for the spitting ones.

I'm the only one in my 3-player game that uses the rifle because it honestly kinda sucks. It would be fine if ammo stacked up better and it didn't take so many goddamn resources for ammo, but here we are. Why does ammunition take a shitload of steel? Why do I need to use a quarter of a beacon for four measly bullets? Why can I only carry 50 caseless rounds in the same amount of space that I can carry 500 spools of wire the size of my torso?!

I know the answer to all of those,* I just don't like it.

*FICSIT, Inc® reserves the right to deny packages, support, or resources to any property found using non-FICSIT, Inc® construction methods on FICSIT, Inc® property.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Put in Thermal Dynamics' Tesseracts imo.

Also hire KingLemming, he knows what he's doing in regards to 3d automation games.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Wrr posted:

Let me tame the birds and then set up transit networks with the birds running and flapping back and forth and they can carry one stack at a time.

No to logistics bots, yes to logistics birds. I like the way you think.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

chairface posted:

The rifle absolutely should be better, available earlier, and have cheaper ammo.

The rebar gun is available much earlier but I agree the rifle should do probably 5-10x as much damage with lower ammo cost. I fought 2 of the big blue spitters above the pink forest and it took me 60 bullets. Something's not right there.

Maybe have it do the same amount of damage but stack ammo to 1000, and make 10 bullets with 1 steel pipe and 1 black powder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mr Scumbag posted:

When I play Factorio, I use a mod for infinite resource nodes and disable the alien enemies. I like a really chill factory experience.

Just putting that out there to let people know it's an option.

If you like infinite resources and no aliens you can also try shapez.io

It's bascially Factorio, but a puzzle game.