Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Frekkie Melody posted:

I remember doing early exploring in this game with a truck. Until I realized that on foot and with a pocket full platforms would probably serve me better.

I had also just made blade runners before doing my exploration but before it I was trying to find out what was faster the truck or me on blade runners. I found the ms for blade runners and there are long stretches where a vehicle is the clear winner. I did have the truck with me for alittle while before I ditched it after I went across a chasm and then continued to run that direction for an hour.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Given that the resources involved in truck creation are pretty minor, I would just construct/deconstruct my truck as needed when on exploration journeys.

At least, until my inventory filled up and I needed the trunk.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tenzarin posted:

I had also just made blade runners before doing my exploration but before it I was trying to find out what was faster the truck or me on blade runners. I found the ms for blade runners and there are long stretches where a vehicle is the clear winner. I did have the truck with me for alittle while before I ditched it after I went across a chasm and then continued to run that direction for an hour.

The blade runners are faster than driving the tractor or the big 6-wheel truck, but slower than the explorer dune buggy. However, vehicles that are driving on autopilot get a noticeable speed boost over driving them yourself. So if your method of testing was to run a foot race against a autopilot tractor, you got fooled. :flashfact:

(I figured that stuff out because I was playing a lot of multiplayer at the start, so my first comparison of blade runners vs tractor was with my bud driving the tractor. Then later on I was running along the same path as one of our tractors was driving and it was way faster, which surprised me.)

But if you've got the explorer now keep using that, it's great!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Not yet, probably not ever if the current design philosophy holds. There's not much in the way of combat, any enemies are just a minor inconvenience so there isn't really any game beyond the act of building things. I guess they think that if you could just copy/paste entire node maximization arrays (for example a single copy/paste for all the smelters/splitters/mergers/belts/power connections needed for a caterium node putting out 780 ore/minute to turn it into ingots then another click for the constructors turning those to quickwire) there wouldn't be much left to the game besides laying out foundations to put them on. The meat of the game is taking huge amounts of time to hook all these things up individually and getting satisfaction from completing a major project, if you can't find a sort of zen in that then I can't see it being enjoyable.

Another thing I thought about with blueprints is that they inevitably lead to a lot of homogeneity of design in what people show off in screenshots and stuff. On the player side that doesn't matter, I can not use blueprints if I don't want my factory to look like the hundred other people using the same rubber stamp. But for the devs I can imagine that being kinda meh versus seeing everyone doing their own thing. So much of this game seems to be in response to Factorio, I can see their reluctance to implement blueprints being less design philosophy than seeing everyone in Factorio doing the same things. But if that's the case they can't really say it.

But the ideas for restricted blueprints that cover a limited number of buildings wouldn't have much impact on that. There's not much creativity in a smelter or constructor array, there's like 3 or 4 ways to lay those out intelligently and that's it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Spreading out to set up a new area to mine some crude oil, I made a gas station. As long as I go to it more than the concrete factory I made that I never go too, its worth it.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

I remember finding 2 coal nodes near water and turning it into an infinite coal power forever hub that powered my base for the rest of my run

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

totalnewbie posted:

Totally understandable. I'm not asking for or hoping for giant blueprints, just the ability to stick at least a few pieces together so I can iterate splitters, belts, etc a little more easily.
Even a blueprint of maximum five items would let me do a splitter->belt->constructor->belt->merger manifold and would significantly reduce the clicks/tedium in building a factory.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Computer/heatsink building complete. Construction process in this album: https://imgur.com/a/ShPscMN

Uses so much power that I accidentally blew the grid when I first turned it on and had to expand the turbofuel generators even more. All the belts and oil pipes are being fed in/out through the floor along with the hypertube system and elevated between floors internally.

Coming for that golden nut next. With the grid almost maxed out it might finally be time to start on nuclear energy even though I don't really like the idea of filling my world with nuclear waste that I can never get rid of. It's either that or go find a separate patch of oil nodes and set up another turbofuel facility but I kind of want to do something new. People speculate a lot that the next tier of buildings could have a use for nuclear waste so maybe by the time I'm done those will be out and I won't have to massively irradiate the edge of the map.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I built a refinery on top of what I thought was gonna be 4 oil nodes that would come out to just be 2 300m^3 pipes turned out to be enough to make 4 300m^3 pipe lines so I figured I need a huge manufacturing plant for parts to even attempt this but I am just exploring the map now for hard drives in hopes they give me plans to factor down everything so I don't to build so much poo poo.

I really like the nomad style of gameplay, really fun. I also like how you reload the bombs in your hand before you throw them.

Getting to that far area seems pretty tricky.

I seem to only be going backwards from it.

These are the railing I built up these tiny pillars.

In the far distance, you can see my bomb factory.

Right after this I saw a purple slug down off a cliff, so I drove my car off a higher cliff hoping to get to it.

This is after the jump.

Car didn't make it. I jumped out during the death roll.

But I found a crash site.

And the slug.

Pretty sure its salvagable.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 2, 2020

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Klyith posted:

Another thing I thought about with blueprints is that they inevitably lead to a lot of homogeneity of design in what people show off in screenshots and stuff. On the player side that doesn't matter, I can not use blueprints if I don't want my factory to look like the hundred other people using the same rubber stamp. But for the devs I can imagine that being kinda meh versus seeing everyone doing their own thing. So much of this game seems to be in response to Factorio, I can see their reluctance to implement blueprints being less design philosophy than seeing everyone in Factorio doing the same things. But if that's the case they can't really say it.

But the ideas for restricted blueprints that cover a limited number of buildings wouldn't have much impact on that. There's not much creativity in a smelter or constructor array, there's like 3 or 4 ways to lay those out intelligently and that's it.

People itt talk about blueprints like you import someone else's design into your game. While that's possible with factorio blueprints it's not the primary use-case or what people are asking for. It's a tool to copy a unit you've designed yourself, like a copy paste function (that still uses resources to build).

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Computer/heatsink building complete. Construction process in this album: https://imgur.com/a/ShPscMN

Uses so much power that I accidentally blew the grid when I first turned it on and had to expand the turbofuel generators even more. All the belts and oil pipes are being fed in/out through the floor along with the hypertube system and elevated between floors internally.

Coming for that golden nut next. With the grid almost maxed out it might finally be time to start on nuclear energy even though I don't really like the idea of filling my world with nuclear waste that I can never get rid of. It's either that or go find a separate patch of oil nodes and set up another turbofuel facility but I kind of want to do something new. People speculate a lot that the next tier of buildings could have a use for nuclear waste so maybe by the time I'm done those will be out and I won't have to massively irradiate the edge of the map.

As someone who just started this game this is blowing my mind.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I have moved on from plain circles, and unlocked hexagon tech:

Still working on filling the inside with machines and stuff. The main floor has a lineup of 10 manufacturers, with space for up to 4 more depending on what's being made. And there's an internal train station in the large circular level where the rail goes in.

Once I get it running this base will produce adaptive control units -- the last thing I need for the space elevator -- and crystal oscillators. Eventually I'll shift it over to pure crystal oscillator production, but since I'm not producing turbomotors or nuke stuff yet I don't have much need for those in mass quantity.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
How Did you get the foundations to line up diagonally? Or Did you just make them slide inside each others space?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So I’m really enjoying this game but all this chat about factorio has my interest piqued.

What I like about satisfactory-
Ridiculous production chains
Writing down on my notebook what ore and production times will need to match up with how many machines etc to have the perfect production line
It’s chill

I don’t like-
Collecting biofuel to power my base but I do like the chainsaw?
Some of the finicky 3d stuff of things encroaching space etc
Liquids confuse me a bit

Is factorio good for this? Does it go on sale a lot? I prefer steam but honestly don’t care

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Valtonen posted:

How Did you get the foundations to line up diagonally? Or Did you just make them slide inside each others space?

There's clipping involved, walls can build crossing each other and foundations will clip in most occasions where they're on different angles.

First you make a circle. Each click of rotation is 10°, so you can make any shape that uses even tens for angles. The center angles of a hexagon are 60° apart, thus foundations every 6 spaces around the circle make the sides of a hexagon. But before you do any of that, you load up a program where you can draw squares (libreoffice draw works) and find patterns where the corners *almost* meet. Or patterns where you can cheat -- those 3 wide "supporting" structures hide the fact that if the sides of my hexagon were complete, the corners would have either a gap or an ugly bit of clipping where two walls were crossing in an X.

And optionally, you can use micromanage to fix any of the spots that aren't idea or where you see cracks of sky through spots where stuff meets. But you want it to mostly work without that, because micromanage is a lot slower and more fiddly than just building stuff. I only used micromanage to touch up like 6 or 8 walls of that whole construction.

The hexagon that is 19 foundations across (ie 9 foundations out from the center 1) is actually perfect with no cheating, the corners overlap exactly with zero micromanage needed. But that's quite large, too big for the rest of the structure I've got. But if anyone wants to make a huge hexagon building that's a great one.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

teacup posted:

So I’m really enjoying this game but all this chat about factorio has my interest piqued.

What I like about satisfactory-
Ridiculous production chains
Writing down on my notebook what ore and production times will need to match up with how many machines etc to have the perfect production line
It’s chill

I don’t like-
Collecting biofuel to power my base but I do like the chainsaw?
Some of the finicky 3d stuff of things encroaching space etc
Liquids confuse me a bit

Is factorio good for this? Does it go on sale a lot? I prefer steam but honestly don’t care

Factorio plays better with a big unified bus or pool of resources than working out individual production chains, but you'll probably still find the production satisfying. Production chains generally aren't as long, but since Factorio requires you to make buildings as items before constructing them you'll be producing more end products.
It's a bit less chill, as the wildlife will go out of its way to attack your factory and you need to build and supply defenses too.

It has less of the things you don't like; automated power comes much earlier and there are obviously no 3D issues.

Definitely worth a go. Don't wait for it to go on sale, they make a point of not doing that.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

teacup posted:

Is factorio good for this?

It's a very good game with some similarities to Satisfactory but a somewhat different focus. I think most notably, it's 2D, resources aren't infinite, the map is random and the wildlife will aggressively attack your base once it's big enough and gently caress it up if you don't have enough defenses.

It does have some pretty complex production chains, though I've never felt the need to break out the notebook. Mainly because throughput is not the primary limiting factor in factorio due to the non-infinite resources. Also building enormous factories is much less labour-intensive in factorio. In the mid- to late-game, once you're used to the UI and have some resources you can poo poo out enormous factories in literal seconds.

No chainsaw, but a variety of guns, turrets, etc. which as mentioned, you will need to use unless you turn off the wildlife.

I don't know how often it goes on sale, but it's well worth the relatively cheap price. They seem to have a demo on Steam so give that a go?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Factorio never goes on sale, per the developers' policy

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

teacup posted:

IIRC the factorio guy has said that factorio will never go on sale ever, because he thinks steam sales are bad for devs. (This is a valid perspective, but one that's much easier to stick to when your game is successful.)

Besides what other people have said, the biggest difference in "feel" for Factorio is that the inner loop is much shorter. Build, fight, fix, explore are not multiple hours each. Things will interrupt you more, and you need to pay attention to more things to keep your factory going. IMO that make Factorio a less "chill" game than Satisfactory -- but Satisfactory is so laid back it's on ketamine.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
That's also why the price is exactly $30, and not $29.99, as the devs feel this is semi-predatory pricing practice.

The demo is a very good way to get a feel if Factorio is right for you at all though. While both games are about building factories, they scratch different core game play loop itches.

I think it was said in either this thread or the Factorio thread: these games are an 8/10 and a 10/10. Which game is which depends on the person.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Klyith posted:

IIRC the factorio guy has said that factorio will never go on sale ever, because he thinks steam sales are bad for devs. (This is a valid perspective, but one that's much easier to stick to when your game is successful.)

Besides what other people have said, the biggest difference in "feel" for Factorio is that the inner loop is much shorter. Build, fight, fix, explore are not multiple hours each. Things will interrupt you more, and you need to pay attention to more things to keep your factory going. IMO that make Factorio a less "chill" game than Satisfactory -- but Satisfactory is so laid back it's on ketamine.

Factorio chills me out through fixing the problems, but then rips me out of that chill into utter panic every time I have to significantly expand some production line, because the problems that creates are vast.

Satisfactory doesn't' care about efficiency, and the faster you realize that the faster you can just sit back and ride that flying manta ray.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Satisfactory seems more spaghetti friendly to me than Factorio, which is why I prefer it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Built a factory so I could get some basic materials far from my starting area and included creation of modular frames and rotors to sent to another steel mill I need to build next.

Steel mill should cover heavy modular frames, motors, computers, computer cards, bomb, and rifle ammo if I'm lucky. I also need to build a road to the future steel mill also.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
When I play Factorio, I use a mod for infinite resource nodes and disable the alien enemies. I like a really chill factory experience.

Just putting that out there to let people know it's an option.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Mr Scumbag posted:

When I play Factorio, I use a mod for infinite resource nodes and disable the alien enemies. I like a really chill factory experience.

I played factorio a lot in early access when the aliens were required to get the final tier of research, and it was pretty fun putting powerlines down and planting turrets right in their hives to eradicate them. But since they're not necessary for research now I just put them on passive mode. Also I generate my map with lots of rich resources so it's not infinite but pretty easy.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mr Scumbag posted:

If you like infinite resources and no aliens you can also try shapez.io

It's bascially Factorio, but a puzzle game.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

bbcisdabomb posted:

If you like infinite resources and no aliens you can also try shapez.io

It's bascially Factorio, but a puzzle game.

Oh poo poo this is rad!

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

One part I liked about factory was purging the land of all life as I drained the resources into an ever accelerating machine for draining more resources.

Nodes that early on would last for days would be drained and stockpiled in hours.

Satisfactory on the other hand is too environmentally friendly. No weapons of mass destruction. Natural resource nodes last forever etc.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There are bombs, you can set up enough bombs that would make that scene from The Expendables 1 where they set up bombs for 10 minutes blush.

The start of my shinra HQ to rape this planet of its resources.

I heard rumors of too large a place will start lagging so I intend to find it. I placed this on land next to 12 pure nodes and a high number of other nodes.

I really need to try out that area action mod because placing the level flooring for each 22x22 square takes loving forever.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 4, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Frekkie Melody posted:

Satisfactory on the other hand is too environmentally friendly. No weapons of mass destruction. Natural resource nodes last forever etc.

Heh, it is rather silly that their lore for Ficsit is like "exploit all the planets!" and that environmental damage is 100% acceptable. But in game actually making the world bare and ugly is something you have to do intentionally.

OTOH part of the reason I like the game so much is because you are colonizing a Yes album cover. So it would be a shame if destroying it was something you had to do. Some people pave the world for convenience, but I don't want to.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
As a Factorio player starting Satisfactory, I'm trying to figure out how to best set up production lines. Should each product line be self-contained after (including?) the smelter, or should I be going more for a main bus idea creating component assembly areas and shipping the components to another area for final assembly?

Let's look at something fairly complex like smart plating. Do I set up a single line, using proper ratios, that directly feeds iron ingots into the subcomponents and finally smart plates, or do I create separate areas which creates and stores rods, plates, and screws, then bring those to another area which creates and stores reinforced plates and rotors, then finally bring those to a final location for assembly?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That question gets asked every week. There are some commodities in Satisfactory which it only ever makes sense to produce locally just before consumption, in particular screws and wire. You need massive quantities of those, more than you can realistically move between production lines.

My suggestion is to choose an end product and a quantity of that end product, set up the machines to make that end product, then build backwards from those until you reach raw materials.

It can make sense to have a central production of raw material, like ingots and oil products, typically near the source. Don't move ore or crude oil to a central factory, always process it at site and move the ingots, plastic or rubber. Also, make power plants by the source of the coal or oil so you don't have to move that around, it's easier to pull power lines all over the world.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Canuckistan posted:

As a Factorio player starting Satisfactory, I'm trying to figure out how to best set up production lines. Should each product line be self-contained after (including?) the smelter, or should I be going more for a main bus idea creating component assembly areas and shipping the components to another area for final assembly?

The only thing that doesn't makes sense is the full Factorio straight-line main bus for everything everywhere. There's the screws and wire that as nielsm says are just too high volume to bus. And there's also stuff you will discover in the future that goes backwards on the bus, which Factorio never does.

There's no universal best answer here, only what works and feels right to you. Personally even within my own game I don't have universal answers from one factory to the next. "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

Canuckistan posted:

Let's look at something fairly complex like smart plating.

:laugh: We have such sights to show you!

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
If you start at the grass fields, you have enough nearby resources to have one main root line for everything before oil, after that you have to start spreading out. I have oil getting refined onsite at the eastern crater and a single tractor shipping plastic and rubber to my main base which assembles everything up to computers in a very small rate (1-2 end result producing plants for higher tier stuff) and organizes it into a massive storage wall that has a container per block with smart splitters SINKing all the excess. I plan on using that as a resource base to build future specialized centers for the more advanced stuff wherever the resources are abundant.

Then again, I never played factorio, So no idea how useful my setup is. At highest my main conveyor libe is 10 lines stacked, with two going ”backwards” to assemblers in different end of the resource line.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Every single time I think to myself "I'm going to map everything out like a real project. Scope, critical path, the works"

Every single time it ends up looking like a can of gently caress exploded.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Vasudus posted:

Every single time I think to myself "I'm going to map everything out like a real project. Scope, critical path, the works"

Same but with my real projects

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Vasudus posted:

-- real world project managers

Valtonen posted:

Then again, I never played factorio, So no idea how useful my setup is.

The thing about the main bus designs that have been perfected in Factorio is that they don't just conveyor stuff, they also have had a lot of thought put into load balancing. In factorio resources run out, so your production line needs to deal with inconsistent inputs. Gluts when you tap a new area, starvation when something has run dry. The load balancing systems are needed to deal with that, so like when your iron plates are resource starved they don't all get used by the first machines on the belt.

This is not a problem that Satisfactory needs to deal with. The small differences between the two make for very different results.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like belt limits and satisfactory's ratios make main bus concepts kinda harder to manage?

Or at least last time I remember trying to figure out how to manage an absurd amount of screws I hurt my head trying to figure out how to balance the output.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Phobeste posted:

Same but with my real projects

Klyith posted:

-- real world project managers

But doctor, I am a project manager.

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like belt limits and satisfactory's ratios make main bus concepts kinda harder to manage?

Or at least last time I remember trying to figure out how to manage an absurd amount of screws I hurt my head trying to figure out how to balance the output.

Making a bus in Satisfactory is annoying compared to Factorio because you're fighting the terrain - there's no cliff explosives or water filling options so if you want a lot of space you either go up high (which looks like garbage, imo) or find one of the few places large enough to support it. I still do it, but I only do it for finished products that are used in other more advanced products - i.e. I'll (locally) mine and smelt copper/iron and put their end result on the bus.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Feels like an oversight that you can't feed packaged water into Foundries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Shinra HQ was going mostly to plan.

I added over 10 floors and now it is a giant.

This picture shows off two concrete factories I made and then learned that their production speed is so slow that its hardly enough to keep up with building supplies and supply constructors for encased steel pipes.

That's a flying manta ray in this picture knowing to fly below my tower.

Power is becoming an issue, I had to turn off the plastic and rubber refineries as I didn't need much plastic or rubber and I have plenty of it.

There is one huge problem with this and it is that trying to make too many things in one location is a bad idea. And the need to have base building materials somehow accessible without having to drive everywhere when I'm missing parts, is a must. I have 3 locations in the game where I build the basics for myself and that is most likely too many spots. So the only solution I can think of is creating a magical sky train that holds all my building materials for me.

The sky train would need to be super duper long and I would need a container for every base material and I would have to set up the tower to reload the train for now until I can make other spots to do it. I could then slowly build a magical sky train network outward for expansion which would have to be to set up fuel refineries first which is gently caress far away.

Also I did my first biome crossing conveyor line, and I hate it and I hate the way it looks.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 5, 2020