Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This game is head and shoulders above everything else in its department for sheer QUALITY CONTROL, if nothing else. Everything is so well animated and so smooth. The animation of the Space Elevator assembling itself, the Portable Miner positioning itself before becoming a drill, and so on.

Got a feeling I'm going to love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Impermanent posted:

well, good news: the first unlock in t3 is coal and coal plants, which can be automated.

Coal, coal plants, and also trucks and truck stations. You feed a coal mine into a coal plant and you have self-generating power forever. I fed the rest of that via a splitter into a truck station, one going to the loading bay the other going to the "fuel" bay. Then I automated a truck to go between that and my main base and unload the coal there into more generators. It was surprisingly easy, and fun. After that the trick was just upping my production of rarer items, same as in Factorio.

Sadly I think I've reached the limits of what this weekend alpha can show off but god drat it was so worth it. This game will be an easy sell for me.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

automating what you give to the space elevator is not strictly necessary for Tier 3 unlock from what I can tell, though I do note that it has belt ports for you to eventually do so, so maybe there's something out there later on you want to mass-produce.

I do like that unlike Factorio, you can smelt iron bars by hand at the crafting table. Sure, it takes time, but it gives you a little more leeway.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Boogalo posted:

I keep having to remind myself that I can climb cliffs and cross gaps as the player by just making a conveyor, then deconstructing it.

Yeah, you could theoretically make ramps too but conveyors are probably a fast-and-dirty way of doing it.

Interesting that this game's equivalent to Factorio's production-enhancing chips are slugs you have to find out in the wild, usually protected by poison plants or hostile animals or just up on a ledge. That's one way to encourage exploration.

Found mushrooms in a deep cave that can be turned into fabric and a healing inhaler that heals you fully in one shot. Neat.

I really wish the full game has some way of switching equipped items. The hotbar for constructing I get, but there needs to be one for weapons too (or a way to put weapons on the same hotbar)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Something that definitely needs to be removed in the future is if you fall off a cliff into a bottomless pit, it should stop having your death marker point there because there's no coffin to retrieve!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

And that's free alpha weekend over. Definitely worth it. See you all next week I guess?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Actually, ARE there attacks later on in the game, or do the walls just help with belt-walls and organization?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah I don't think this game will *replace* Factorio but be a good companion to it. You can't do stuff like put two different items on one belt with inserters, but you can do stuff like stack conveyors five high on top of each other to create a thick vertical highway and mitigate horizontal clutter.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Holey moley, the improved xeno-zapper is a taser sword. And...rebar gun? Nice. Oh, there's a LOT more now than when I played the free weekend.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, wow, it is imperative you go exploring and find those hard drives in wrecked explorer pods. The alternative recipes they give out are way more efficient than the standard ones, I am having much more throughput with what was my worst bottleneck, reinforced iron plates.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So this game gets a lot more complicated once oil becomes a factor. You don't have to crack it into three different fluids like in Factorio, but in the plains map, oil spawns VERY far from you, you couldn't realistically build a conveyor to pull it all the way over to your main base, so you HAVE to learn how to use trucks. It does issue forth a whole lot of other more complicated parts to make, too, but dammit, I'm so close to figuring out enough automation to be able to make a fueling station that powers itself and keeps my truck truckin' back and forth between waypoints.

Except I hit a bug, I suddenly cannot open up the little record path menu on my truck anymore. Not sure what caused that. Annoying. But it was a good game day.

I cannot imagine how much more complicated this loving game is going to get with the tiers that have not yet been revealed, but drat. Time to watch other people's videos on how they're doing now.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

PSA, don't be a dumbshit like me and spend hours running back and forth to the hub. Just build a crafting bench next to your storage units like God intended.

This is why the truck is so awesome, it has a crafting bench built in so you can craft on the go.

EDIT: I've decided I need to make a truck that has four stops for now until I get my research up to the next tier. First stop: load up on coal. Second stop: deliver coal at my oil well so its coal generator keeps the oil flowing. third stop: pick UP the crude oil (since pickup and dropoff stations have to be different) and fourth stop: deliver crude back to my main base.

This is going to be a logistical nightmare but I'll find a way for it to work. I wish you could put input/output filters on the truck stops so I could make sure it only unloaded coal, hmmm.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 20, 2019

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I found a broken pod that required quickwire to access. How many levels deep is the tech for that?

I've unlocked the last tiers accessible in Early Access so far and that item is not in any of those yet. Something to look for in the future updates I suppose.

Some of the broken pods are really easy to open, one just needed screws.

EDIT: oh, huh, looking at the wiki you need to find "caterium" ore and research it in the MAM to unlock this? Huh.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 20, 2019

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Atoramos posted:

I can't confirm but in these cases it usually produces more product for slightly more input

That is correct, the output is usually much higher, like three reinforced steel plates instead of one for just two more iron plate inputs and the same amount of screws. This changed one of my big bottlenecks into a surplus.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't think berries and nuts regrow, though, do they?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Phobeste posted:

Yeah my buddy and I started a game in the desert and all our ore nodes are pure and the t1 miners produce 120/min :stare:

I started a desert game just to see how different it was and man, all these plateaus and cliffs in the way make it a way different experience than the plains. I found a lake and started building a huge platform over it just to have a place to put the space elevator, and the nearest coal is way far the hell away and is straight up a cliff (there's a path there you could take by foot or driving, but it's guarded by all those poison gas plants) so I either need to use trucks to ship coal to my main base or start a fresh base up there. And possibly build a giant ramp or stairs leading up there.

All these mesas and plateaus did encourage me to try building more jump pads and gel landing pads to get around though, and those are fun as hell.

The desert description says there's less biomass, but there's still plenty to be found. I think the shrubs that grow there are just worth less leaves and wood than the junk in the plains.

And supposedly these three starting positions are all on the same map, so god drat how huge is this world? Didn't someone say like 30 x 30 kilometers? That's big. I don't care if the game isn't randomized, there's enough poo poo to get lost in you could easily have a ton of different games with the same start.

Ixjuvin posted:

On a related note, does fauna respawn? Is there any reason not to render my carapaces down into biomass (post nailgun research)?

I don't...think so? Most of the fauna seems to be guarding unique loot like slugs or resource nodes (or paths) and maybe they thought it would be a hassle to re-fight them.

Whatever "alien organs" are used for doesn't seem to be implemented yet. Hopefully either a lot of biomass or a way to get health back.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 21, 2019

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

nielsm posted:

I think I might some kind of sorting machine, e.g. one input, three outputs, puts items of one chosen type on first output, second chosen type on second output, and all other types on third output. It could make it viable to use trucks to transport a variety of items over long distances.
Also a customizable ratio splitter, so you don't have to make crazy chains of splits-merges (or wait until one belt backs up) to get a non-equal distribution.

The game definitely needs a sorter of some kind, yeah, so I can just dump all my poo poo into one container, have it spread throughout the facility and get processed.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, you need to find a stack of Caterium ore and plug it into the MAM before you can even make stuff with it, it's the source of the "quickwire" that someone else was wondering how the hell you make. I haven't seen any big deposits of it, just yellow-ribboned rocks, so keep your eyes out.

Bauxite and sulfer rocks are also around but I don't think they do anything yet.

EDIT: I appreciate that copper ore is green, as in real life.

Ambaire posted:

Edit: Also, I am abusing the gently caress out of the foundations since they aren't affected by gravity or anything. Built a hover platform over the valley next to my base area and put the space elevator there. I still need to do a fuckton of rebuilding and fixing this production line.. recently tore up everything to automate reinforced plates at 30/min thanks to a 10 plate + 24 screw = 3 plate special recipe that happens to use exactly 60 screws per minute.

Hahahah, that is exactly what I am doing right now, maybe in the exact same spot. The jungle map is rich with resources but it's super-cramped, so I'm making my own space by building a giant platform. All these resource nodes right next to a cliff is basically asking for it.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 22, 2019

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, wow, the "blade runners" you get from Caterium research are pretty great. Faster running speed, higher jumps, less fall damage threshold. The power poles that have six openings are a nice second.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I hope an object scanner can be built for scanning for pod wrecks. Finding them is a little tricky.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

How long can the truck routes be? I found the double oil site and it's 2.5k from my base. Seems a stretch, but belting it seems pretty crazy too idk.

Also has anyone found a way to blow up the large round rocks? I've found some intriguing pathways blocked off by them, and also my craterium deposit.

The large round rocks are probably only going to be blow-uppable when Sulfur research is made public, which their roadmap says should be sometime late next month.

Not sure how long a truck route can be but I bet there's not much of a limit.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oho, I was wondering where to find a source of mycinia and it turns out if you chainsaw those coral things in the coral desert region, they're full of it.

I think I've exhausted the tech tree in my jungle-start game. Wound up building a huge cliffside base with some walkways going across the chasm to the oil deposits across the way. The jetpack does get you some ups, but I really prefer the blade runners overall; no fuel and you jump like a madman.

We've got three to four weeks before new techs come out based on sulfer and quartz and I am seriously going to have to not play until then because I wanna feel like I'm learning the game all over again.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 25, 2019

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, that would be it, the spidery monsters are turned into gifs of cats in "arachnophobia" mode.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

pokie posted:

I would like an eventual chill farm DLC so you cold grow the various plants in greenhouses and whatnot.

Good way to get healing items at the very least. Maybe also grow tamed versions of the alien monsters so you can get carapaces and whatnot.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mr. Powers posted:

conveyor elevators are on the roadmap

Yup, supposedly later this very month. Not sure how they'll be implemented but I am looking forward to it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

when mercer spheres actually do something, I hope it's incredible.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ambaire posted:

multiple equip slots for jetpack+bladerunners+mask at the same time,

Yeah that's the big one for me. I can put on a gas mask or rollerskates but not both at once? Come on.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mark 4 belts are ridiculously fast, if you try using them as an expressway, if you jump you go FLYING.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Supposedly real guns will show up later but it's clear that the rebar gun is just what the company figured they could give you with as few resources as possible.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

kloa posted:

Beacons are cool until your hud is full of incomprehensible text.

Yeah, being able to toggle them off in a menu like Subnautica would be nice. Of course, Subnautica itself didn't have this figured out...at first, beacon frequencies were actual inventory items you had to plug into your head...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Webguy20 posted:

I just got the alternative recipe for screws and gently caress yes ingots straight to screws. Simplification of the production line!

There's more than one alternate recipe for screws but that is one of my favorites. I'm also a big fan of the alternative for reinforced iron plates that skips screws and just uses copper.

I really hope they give you an option to home in on crashed ships eventually with that scanner...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oooh, nice, radar.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

In the experimental save, two quartz veins appeared like right beneath my base and I don't remember those being there before, haha. Convenient.

Not *quite* as much new stuff as I had wanted but more than I had hoped for, honestly. I like how if you ping resources, then open your map, the ping will show them on the map to help you figure it out more precicely.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

necrotic posted:

Northern-middle part of the map, just east of the desert? I don't remember seeing those before, either, but they were convenient pure nodes!

Yup. I built my base on a huge foundation out over the canyon so I'd have plenty of space and even conveniently there was one oil field across the canyon so my bridge-base was closer to good stuff than I thought.

Now I'll have to plan out the whole base all over again. Might start from scratch just to get a better feel for things.

You can blow up the weaker poison-gas plants (the ones that "stand up" before they start emitting) but not the other type. Hmm...

One thing I hope they address in the future is you taking fall damage when in a vehicle. That makes hopping over cliffs and ramps in the rover problematic....

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ooof, anyone else getting these really bad bugs in the experimental branch? I've noticed two that are just horrible and repeatable (but hopefully fixable). One is if I have a portable miner in my hand slot and other stuff in other hand slots, plopping down one portable miner has another appear in my hands but the other items in my hand slots disappearing. Lost my first xeno-zapper that way.

The other bug is even worse. If I have a stack of power shards, dragging them over to a building to power it up cause all the extra shards to vanish as if they were deleted. Yikes.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Looks like they already detected and fixed both of those bugs in a patch but then had to roll back that patch because it somehow unintentionally deleted everyone's conveyor belts. Whoops. But at least they're working on it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

hrrrm, not sure how to help you with that, I've been doing all my exploration in a totally different area.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Blade runners are arguably the better exploration device since they let you sprint like crazy for days. The Jetpack is just for getting over mountains.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Balancing out the late-game production of items still takes a while, I should probably remedy that by going out into the world and building lots more factories around lots more resource nodes to just pump more everything into the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cobbsprite posted:

Is it just me, or is the new vertical conveyor only capable of moving materials upwards and not downwards?

What Necrotic said, you have to click on something hanging off a cliff and drag down to make a conveyor lift that goes down.