Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Bought this game yesterday after having it on my wishlist for a long time since it went on sale over the weekend. I've had it for one day and already put in 12 hours, staying up until 2 AM last night because I there's always just one more thing to do before going to bed. Wanted something kind of casual that would scratch the resource gathering and base building itch I got from Subnautica but found something that looks to absorb all my spare time instead.

Progression seems a bit weird considering I had a fully operational space elevator before developing coal power but that's the only thing that seems noticeably out of place so far. Would have thought it would be an endgame technology rather than something I build while I'm still running on the most basic materials and powering my buildings with flower petals but it gives another objective besides HUB upgrades I guess. Basically my entire factory is set up to produce smart plating and is slowly feeding it to the space elevator while I focus on other things, going to try and set up production for the second material tonight since I think I have enough steel working researched to make all the sub-components now.

Last thing I did was find a water source and get a single coal plant running. The biggest hassle so far has been periodically gathering up biomatter to keep feeding into about 15 generators manually, making some more coal plants and getting the power automated will be a major QOL advancement. Water sources seem kind of sparse, hopefully I can either fit another of those giant surface pumps on the tiny pond I located or split the water pipe to feed into multiple plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

LonsomeSon posted:

One pump provides 120 water/min, 3 coal generators running flat out consume 135/min, so generally one pump per three plants is fine. There should be a pipe junction piece in your fluid logistics menu area.

Also Ficsit provides you with an orbit-and-reentry-capable drone pod once you’ve completed your HUB, but insists on using easily-wrecked drop pods for Pioneers, to the point that the intro flavor narration informs you that you are the third one to make it alive to either this planet surface, or to a planetary surface in this system, but you find dozens and dozens of crashed pods just in the game area.

Haven't explored super far beyond the starting area yet but I've found at least two pods with some useful materials scattered around them. Kind of waiting for a better mode of transportation before heading out too far since the basic running speed isn't great for covering such a large map. Already died a few km out from the main base while looking for quartz deposits and trudging back to pick up my crate after dying is a bit tedious at the moment. I've researched basic vehicles but not built any and the ticket shop has some kind of factory golf cart thing, going to look into both after I have my coal factories set up and don't have to worry about manually powering everything constantly.

Also found a few early access-looking items with "WIP" in the title, are these actually used for anything or should I just toss them? The descriptor text says I won't get anything from analyzing them but I don't know if that means they're completely useless in this build of the game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

I have no need for this much power, but at least I can sleep now.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Han Nehi posted:

Shh nobody tell him :D

For right now, that is. I had everything hooked up to three overclocked coal plants next to my main base producing something like 375MW, with everything running at full capacity it was right at the limit and would overload the grid if I tried to power and feed stuff to the resource dump building. With this offsite power station I'm at around 1000MW without overclocking any of the new coal plants and should be able to build out further without having to worry about running out of juice for at least a day or two. Coal is getting sent by conveyor belt from a floating island way the hell away from this site but one Mk.2 driller seems to produce enough coal to run these nine plants without problem, can probably either relocate the three in my base or add another three once I build out the foundations a bit more.

Second round of space elevator parts finished while I was running around the map constructing it, can start focusing on the next tier of HUB upgrades again. I see people earlier in the thread complaining about the game feeling kind of pointless to play but going back and forth between focusing on HUB upgrades and space elevator deliveries is a satisfying enough loop at least for now. I don't know what the "endgame" is like but all they would need is a repeating space elevator quest requiring a bunch of the most complex materials and it would keep me having something to work towards.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

I definitely agree with the sentiment of getting smaller trains earlier. But I'm also fed up with trucks. For some reason sometimes they just stop picking stuff up and just drive until they run out a fuel. I have a truck on a short route bringing coal to my steel plant. And every couple hours I need to go find it because it has ran out of fuel at some point.

What's a truck?

Maybe this won't be ideal once I finish the third phase of space elevator deliveries, but I have everything coming in to this central storage location by a conveyor belt abomination that spreads out to every type of mineral deposit on the map. Not sure I recommend it, quartz and oil deposits were each about 2km away from this location and setting up multi-story conveyor belts to run that far is extremely tedious. I've researched trucks and trains but haven't actually used either yet, maybe once I move on to making a centralized production facility rather than the scattering of sites I've built next to each resource patch.

Finished this 12x3 coal generator plant last night and now I should have plenty of capacity for when I unlock the final production tiers. There's probably a way of optimizing the coal feeding/water piping more than this but it's still a lot neater than the first plant I made.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Finally managed to complete the last space elevator delivery the other night, turns out making aluminum is a whole lot more complicated than I was expecting. Is the common thing to take the excess water from the aluminum scrap refineries and loop it back into the water intake for the initial bauxite solution refineries or should I route it elsewhere for residual plastic production or something else? It seems like looping should work as long as the game knows to prioritize water intake from the excess pipes instead of drawing more from the pumps. If it doesn't I'm worried the whole system will get backed up with excess water that can't go anywhere and grind everything to a halt. I assume you can't just dump the excess water back into the ocean.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Leal posted:

Whats this concept of "organized base" :confused:

Dunno, but I've been watching the "Let's Game it Out" videos for Satisfactory on Youtube and I'm learning a lot about optimization.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Alclad plating/circuit board facility is finally done. Thanks to Unponderable for the unpowered directional pump trick, the whole array doesn't really work without it. Only 3/4 of the oil wells are running but adding more to this doesn't seem necessary at the moment. Close to my ~6 GW grid capacity so I think the next thing to work towards will be a train system between the major areas and a turbo fuel facility.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 10, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

bony tony posted:

I'd like to see some biomass automation. Maybe you could make a hydroponic garden, powered by electricity and water, and get biomass out of it. It'd be impractical, because there are trees and twigs everywhere, but it's also important to be able to automate and such.

Yeah, it's weird that there are so many alternate recipes surrounding biomass when it's a resource you only use at the beginning of the game and abandon as soon as you can transfer to coal power. Having completed my 10GW turbo fuel power plant over the weekend they could also stand to make geothermal generators much more useful or give them some kind of secondary functionality. For something that comes all the way at the end of its respective research tree and which costs a bunch of endgame materials to construct, 200MW added to the grid is barely noticeable.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

66 generators and it's still not burning all the turbofuel I'm creating. Already highly excessive for what I'm consuming at the moment but at least I won't have to worry about power while I finally build a giant manufacturer plant to craft all the late game items.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Joda posted:

So... is that all for this update? Fluid stuff, ladders and floor/ceiling power stuff? I might sit this one out.

From what I've seen so far:

Ladders
Floor/ceiling power nodes
New building for packaging liquid
Mk.2 pipes/pumps
Jump pads will now show where you'll land

Good quality of life improvements but I haven't seen anything that will drastically change the game. My current infrastructure never really requires me to package liquids except for jetpack fuel so I don't think I'll get much if any use out of the new building unless it does other stuff we haven't seen. There are already fluid containers for trains if you need to transport a large volume of fluid long distances for whatever reason. At least it's a move in the right direction by taking some functions away from refineries, I'd say they're required for too many processes at the moment.

I kind of burned out after playing the game an obscene amount over the course of two weeks or so, I'll probably wait until whichever update introduces ways to manufacture quantum computers and the other items that you can see as requirements for a few of the hard drives but can't be obtained in the current build. I'm guessing those will be the things that require SAM ore, still not sure what they have planned for the alien collectibles scattered around everywhere.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

TK-42-1 posted:

When the core loop of the game is building and linking up machines to perform a task subverting that element of the game is self defeating. It’s not just “reasons” it’s because they have the requirement of manually setting things up as the core of the game and built around that. It’d be like making mario auto jump to the next platform because constantly jumping is tedious to some players.

A lot of the tedium could be relieved by adding in an option for larger foundations since that's probably the most boring part of setting up a big project. Let us enter the dimensions of how big we want it to be and place a single giant slab in the game world instead of having to lay out each square individually. If someone thinks that actually placing the buildings and linking all the necessary belts/pipes/power lines is boring then I'm not sure why they would be playing the game in the first place.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Bussamove posted:

You can but it’s fiddly in whether or not it’ll take or just sit there and clog up the line so you have to tear it down and redo the belt.

Mostly seems to be an issue with the game prioritizing building a splitter/merger on the ground over snapping it on an existing belt. A lot of the time it will look like you've done it right until you look a bit harder and see that it's not actually connecting to anything. I never have a problem with it when the belt has any sort of elevation.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

The spaghetti factory is finally complete. All the late game stuff up to turbo motors is being automated and stored, I have no idea how efficiently. Mostly just wanted to get to this point so I can make mk.3 extractors easily for whichever future update includes the new tier of items. Going to leave all this behind and make a more sensible mega factory somewhere else with locally sourced resources, probably out in the desert.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

LonsomeSon posted:

Fortunately the space chainsaw works much like a terrestrial chainsaw: rev it for a few seconds and then all of the sticks and leaves within a few meters will rush into your pockets

Also any destructible rocks, though you can't target them with the chainsaw directly. Shame, it would be nice to be able to chainsaw them away instead of having to use explosives.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Saturday gone, not going to have to worry about rotors/stators/motors for a long time.

Maximizing multiple nodes with mk.3 drillers and 3 power cells takes a long time apparently. Hoping for mk.6 belts some time soon just so I don't need so many to transport screws.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Does "Coming 10/27/20 EXPERIMENTAL" at the end of the latest trailer mean we're actually going to see the new patch coming tomorrow? Not sure if the "experimental" is referring to a beta branch of the game or some sort of developer-only build. The main thing I need at the moment is more heatsinks but I want to hold off on dealing with anything related to oil/aluminum until the new pipes come out.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Some pictures of my base

This is much too organized for a first base. You should be placing your buildings directly on the ground without foundation and linking them all together with disordered conveyor belts to form a hideous mess that only you can understand.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 29, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Came back to the coal plant I built much earlier in the game and set up a crystal oscillator factory on the waterfall.

Other angles and inside shots:

https://imgur.com/a/qO6BhZf

Think I'll start running the conveyor lifts internally on the next building since they look kind of janky doing it this way on an otherwise clean design. At least now I can finally go back to my turbofuel/aluminum refinery and start making use of the new fluid features from the patch. Been needing more rubber and heatsinks for a long time and got a bit carried away building this while waiting for it to be released.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 30, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

Does satisfactory have blueprints yet? (I haven't played since it was first "released")

I don't think I could stand scaling things up the way you all have doing everything by hand. That is not the fun part to me :/

Not yet, probably not ever if the current design philosophy holds. There's not much in the way of combat, any enemies are just a minor inconvenience so there isn't really any game beyond the act of building things. I guess they think that if you could just copy/paste entire node maximization arrays (for example a single copy/paste for all the smelters/splitters/mergers/belts/power connections needed for a caterium node putting out 780 ore/minute to turn it into ingots then another click for the constructors turning those to quickwire) there wouldn't be much left to the game besides laying out foundations to put them on. The meat of the game is taking huge amounts of time to hook all these things up individually and getting satisfaction from completing a major project, if you can't find a sort of zen in that then I can't see it being enjoyable. Even if they decided to focus more heavily on combat and put bosses in certain areas of the world I can't imagine any of it actually being fun with this game engine.

A more pressing issue for me specifically is that computers are complicated to make and I need more drat rubber. Something seems to be kind of weird with the mk.2 pipes or just fluid in general, there are two pure oil nodes being split up and then merged back together to supply 600 oil/minute to the large building under construction while supplying the remaining 600 to the refineries around it. Even with the valves set to split the flows to 300 exactly in both ways placed right after the extractors and plenty of headlift it doesn't seem to supply a consistent 600 to the building, more like ~550 with it fluctuating somewhat. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned something about rounding errors, maybe that's happening with this many connected parts. Maybe there's an issue trying to connect 10 refineries to one pipe supplying 300 oil/minute since it has to keep splitting the flow. Or maybe it's just an issue of one node being too far away and I need another pump for the sake of horizontal distance, I seem to recall that being a thing at least in earlier builds. Not sure but it's running well enough for now anyway. Finally have all four oil nodes on the islands utilized at least in theory and two full mk.5 conveyors of bauxite being brought in for aluminum production, once all the windows are on the building and the heat sinks/computers are routed to the train station I'll probably be done with this location.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 1, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

Totally understandable. I'm not asking for or hoping for giant blueprints, just the ability to stick at least a few pieces together so I can iterate splitters, belts, etc a little more easily.

All they would really need to do is repurpose the mass deconstruct feature to let you save a limited selection of items within a 3d space and assign that to a hotbar. The act of building is fundamental to the gameplay, but after 200 hours I think it would be easy enough to allow a limited blueprint of something like 10 items without losing much sense of player agency. Just a basic (splitter > belt > smelter > belt > merger) would cut down on a lot of the drudgery and you would still have to create those blueprints yourself to begin with. Maybe even put some +5 blueprint capacity upgrades in the M.A.M. or hard drives so it can scale as you progress.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Computer/heatsink building complete. Construction process in this album: https://imgur.com/a/ShPscMN

Uses so much power that I accidentally blew the grid when I first turned it on and had to expand the turbofuel generators even more. All the belts and oil pipes are being fed in/out through the floor along with the hypertube system and elevated between floors internally.

Coming for that golden nut next. With the grid almost maxed out it might finally be time to start on nuclear energy even though I don't really like the idea of filling my world with nuclear waste that I can never get rid of. It's either that or go find a separate patch of oil nodes and set up another turbofuel facility but I kind of want to do something new. People speculate a lot that the next tier of buildings could have a use for nuclear waste so maybe by the time I'm done those will be out and I won't have to massively irradiate the edge of the map.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

That's a flying manta ray in this picture knowing to fly below my tower.

The biggest mistake I've made so far in my save is constructing a large building in the path of the manta so now it clips through it on its route. Didn't realize it was in the path when I was building and it would be a significant hassle to tear things down and relocate just for that.

quote:

There is one huge problem with this and it is that trying to make too many things in one location is a bad idea. And the need to have base building materials somehow accessible without having to drive everywhere when I'm missing parts, is a must. I have 3 locations in the game where I build the basics for myself and that is most likely too many spots. So the only solution I can think of is creating a magical sky train that holds all my building materials for me.

I've started producing concrete on-site for my major projects since limestone deposits are relatively plentiful and it saves a lot of time going back and forth between the build site and my central storage location. For more complicated building materials like the computers you need for fuel generators it's easy enough to lay down a few squares of foundation and set up a hypertube launcher pointing you wherever you store everything. Beats the hell out of setting up long supply lines which might become irrelevant once construction is done.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Is it a fixed flightpath? Sounds like a challenge to have a tunnel that it can fly through and windows on the inside for you to watch.

Yeah, it loops the same path indefinitely and ignores all collision with buildings even though you can land on it and ride it around. Saw this on the reddit a while back:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGame/comments/i2vvre/leaked_video_respecting_manta_fly_path_probably/

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Step one of my plan to turn the entire oil coast into a gigantic turbofuel generator. All nodes fitted with triple overclocked oil extractors hooked up to mk.2 pipes to produce 3450 oil/minute (600/min for 5 pipes then 450/min on the last one) then routed to this building with 115 refineries on the first floor. Going to use that convoluted-rear end routine where you use the alternate recipe to make a bunch of oil residue and polymer resin then mix the residue with bottled water to make diluted fuel and unbottle it afterwards to turn to turbofuel. It's going to be an unbelievable pain in the rear end but I think I'll end up producing over 100GW with this setup and can make a bunch of plastic out of the relatively small amounts of polymer resin it produces incidentally.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

The project to turn the entire oil coast into turbo fuel continues.

100 water pumps creating 12000 water:

Routing the pipes to the second floor:

9600 of that water being bottled and sent to the third floor by 160 packagers:

Third floor will be taking that bottled water and mixing it with oil residue being made on the first floor to make bottled fuel to be routed to the fourth floor. Fourth floor I'll have to basically do this entire second floor setup again for unbottling that fuel, those bottles will be routed back down to the second floor and looped for more water bottling and fuel will be routed to the fifth floor for mixing with compacted coal to finally make the turbo fuel. No idea how many generators I'm going to need to burn all this eventually and I still need to fit in residual rubber production somewhere out of the remaining four water pipes and 2300 resin being produced on the first floor.

Absolute goddamn nightmare setting all this up and I'll have to turn things on gradually once it's done to avoid exploding my power grid, but once it's all running I don't think I'll have to worry about power ever again. They better not release some kind of update that changes the packager model or anything like that.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 8, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

So how many oil nodes is this? The wiki says you can make 149 turbo fuel generators per node. Its gonna be monster in size.

7 impure, 4 normal, 2 pure all 3x overclocked for 3450 oil total. 115 refineries on the first floor turn that into 4600 oil residue and 2300 polymer resin.

Klyith posted:

Converting all of it into turbofuel power is actually kinda self-defeating: that's a significant fraction of the max power demand from all possible production in the game (which the wiki says is ~0.5 TW with all resource nodes used). But if you've used up an entire oil field on power, that would be a major cut to maximum possible production. Oil products are the limiting resource, or at least it was before mk2 pipes.

Probably, I'm kind of trying to do a playthrough where I just ignore nuclear power since I don't want to produce any nuclear waste. Maybe that will change if a future update provides some way to destroy it, but for now this should solve my power troubles for the foreseeable future without requiring me to irradiate a large section of the map. I've already utilized the oil islands on the west side of the map completely, the oil coast will be once this is done, and I already have kind of a janky setup I built early on in the southeast of the map which I could stand to tear down and rebuild entirely. A large part of oil being limited before was that you couldn't actually utilize pure nodes fully since you couldn't make use of more than 300/m in a mk.1 pipe, now that you can get the full 600 I'm not as worried about it. Not sure I'll play the game long enough that I need to worry about optimal production for every single resource node on the map anyway.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

My build has hit the critical point:

Floors 1-5 are fully set up and just have to be turned on. With everything running and assuming I didn't mess something up, that will end up producing 9,200 fuel sent to floor six. At this point I can either:

1. Burn it all as fuel directly, which will require setting up 614 generators to turn into ~92,000 MW
2. Go around the map sucking up all the sulfur that exists in the entire world as well as a good chunk of the coal nodes to make a separate offsite facility producing ~6,150 compacted coal, route that to the main building then construct another 4 or 5 floors to house ~410 refineries to mix compacted coal with fuel to produce ~7,690 turbo fuel. I would then have to construct ~1,700 generators to turn it into ~250,000 MW

Option 2 sounds loving insane and this thing has already taken like 40 hours to construct without even getting into the generators yet. Don't think I have it in me to set up an all-encompassing sulfur route around the entire map and I might want to actually mess around with nuclear power at some point. Kind of thought sulfur was a lot more common when I started this thing and seeing how limited it is (especially when the belts don't exist to fully exploit a pure node) I think it's going to have to be option 1. No idea where the hell I would put 1,700 generators anyway, ~600 is already going to be a major hassle to set up.

92,000 MW of steady power should be enough I think. If I ever somehow get to the point that I need more it will serve as a good base before nuclear energy kicks in.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Ok, I think that's enough fuel generators.

All burning fuel from the production building which turns 3450 oil on floor 1 into 9200 fuel on floor 5. Just need to put windows on it and I'll finally be done after ~60 hours spent on this project:

Power grid capacity was hovering around 25 GW before turning the whole thing on, it's at around 90GW currently. I think it should be possible to get more out of it if I saturate it further with empty containers, they still take a while to circulate as is. Either that or load balancing the output pipes to burn everything off more equally.

Also used up all the heavy modular frames I'd accumulated over the entire game about 2/3 of the way through building the generators so I had to make a separate building for production:

Making roughly 20 heavy frames a minute out of 1380 limestone, 1560 coal, 2340 iron as input. I have facilities dedicated to most of the high level components besides high speed connectors now, I guess that's next on the list.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 15, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Fuel plant fully complete.

Won't have to worry about power for a long, long time.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

dogstile posted:

I'm thinking about setting up coal power tonight. I've found a small bit of water next to my base which i've chucked 5 extractors on, which seems like plenty for now. However the only mine for coal I can see is pretty far away so i'm thinking about tractoring it (also because it seems like it'd be fun). Question is how do I initially get them set up? Do I just grab a stack of coal and chuck it into the truck when doing the route? Is a single tractor's route regular enough for this to even be feasible or should I just belt the drat thing over here?

Hard to say without looking at your location on the map, but it's probably easier to just dismantle the water pumps and build them closer to the coal rather than setting up long supply lines. If you started in the grass area and it's the coal nodes I'm thinking of, there should be a big lake directly next to them.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

I'm ready.

https://twitter.com/SatisfactoryAF/status/1329008907122040832

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

LonsomeSon posted:

Now that the bottler is a thing, could probably just patch a water bottler into the water supply line and let it fill up one stack, so you can open-palm-slam that stack into an unbottler which is also patched into the standby grid.

I will be SO JAZZED when a mod comes out adding mkII biofuel generators with a solid input for biofuel logs ~

I checked the mod manager again after I typed that out, and there's a mod called Refined Power which seems to have buildable burners for every type of fuel, boilers, generators, and chimneys which can be combined in a modular fashion; it doesn't specify whether the biofuel burner is manually loaded or not so I guess I'm going to try to spin up my current-endgame save with this enabled and see if it turbofucks anything!

e: not only did it work fine, but also the mod's wiki is not very recent because there's literally just "what if biomass generator but with Added Conveyor Hole (tm)" in Tier 2, 10/10 would recommend

Does it add anything to make biofuel more viable past the beginning stages of the game? If I was starting a new save, the first thing I would do is race to coal as fast as possible so I would have a consistent source of power that didn't require work on my part to run around gathering leaves and flowers every 30 minutes or so. Unless there was some method of automating the biofuel collection itself like farming trucks or whatever, I would still just completely abandon biofuel and dismantle all the generators after reaching coal.

Would still be good for them to add a conveyor belt input though as part of the base game. The constant topping off you have to do in the beginning would be a lot less tedious if you could just dump a bunch of wood in a (storage container > belt > generator) assembly rather than feeding them all single stacks of fuel individually.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Hmm I feel like I'm hitting a bit of a snag.

The base nuclear reactor is way too small to give the look I want, so I'm obviously gonna have to go with multiples, but mechanically, I'm not sure how that all plays out. If I decide to go with a 3x2 'base' arrangement on all 8 points, and then maybe have an extra four or five stacked on top, is it possible to sustain up to 90 reactors without massively loving something up? Or am I gonna have to run something else.

Going by the wiki, assuming you mined all the uranium on the map and had the right alternate recipes you could supply ~470 reactors. It's more a matter of making them fit in whatever you have planned for that structure, making things neat in a circular building is inherently going to be a pain.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Closing in on the Golden Nut, this should get me there and I'm guessing it will take about 100 hours to set up and drive me insane in the process. All the basic resources and water are being fed into the building, floor 1 has 60 out of the 200 refineries I need just for copper ingot production. Fitting enough extractors to generate 9300 water was kind of tough since there are rocks and shallow areas everywhere in the lake and the moth swoops down through the west section which makes it off limits. Floor 2 is already twice the space as floor 1, floors are going to get increasingly bigger as I build up and can expand towards the cliff. The added space per floor should help to make this a bit less maddening.

Once this is done I think I'll be genuinely finished with the game until 1.0 arrives. Would rather wait until that point before starting massive projects like this but nothing else really scratches the same itch as Satisfactory.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

thark posted:

A ... simple ... 20 turbo motor / min setup? Isn't that, like, hundreds of buildings?

Going by Satisfactory Tools, this is the most efficient way to make 20 turbo motors per minute.

Seems like beginner stuff to me, not sure what you're taking about.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Klyith posted:

Uhhhh, that's not what it does. It's a flowchart of nothing but the resource flows. If you look closely those boxes say stuff like 16x manucafturer, because you need 16 manufacturers to output 40 computers per minute.

Sourcing the raw materials and figuring out the physical layout is up to you.

Well the first step is "7680 crude oil" so I would start by making a giant structure in the center of the map and piping 3/4 of the oil in the entire game to that.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Klyith posted:

I'd start by picking up some hard drives :smug:

Didn't realize I'd forgotten to turn on alt recipes for the original graph, let's run it again.

There we go, now that's a genuine nightmare. Uses barely any oil though, so I guess that's a bonus? If you maximize the recipe instead of setting it to output 20/min it looks like the real limiters are bauxite and raw quartz, if you used up the entire map supply of both you could end up producing 156 turbo motors/min. Would also still end up using about half the caterium, 3/4 of the oil, and you would need to feed the whole thing ~32,000 water/min.

You'd get an extra .02 aluminum ingots/min out of it though, so that's a nice bonus.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Cobbsprite posted:

I started a base in the new desert location to go FICSMAS from the ground up with a friend. The holiday cart is hilarious.

Does it have super-sloppy handling everywhere, or is it just in the sand that it can't even go in a straight line without spinning out?

Even if you're driving in a straight line on foundations you're probably going to end up spinning out and tipping over. It doesn't use any fuel though and has a single inventory space, so you can use them to set up an automated delivery route of low-yield items like turbo motors or whatever. Way better than just using a belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

T8 is coming in Update 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH5SkE4nzhg
Still feb/march, but they're stating already it'll break your saves since they're reworking T7.

Hoping it doesn't mess things up too much, I can't imagine trying to rework the larger projects I've done to suit whatever changes are introduced. If it completely breaks them I'll probably just start a new save once the patch drops. Still a few months away, should be able to complete my 48 supercomputer/min plant and get the Golden Nut before then, which I've long considered the standard for "beating the game" anyway.

Curious about the new building, looks like it has 2 belt input ports on the front and maybe some kind of fluid tank on top? Possibly a late-game manufacturer type building that lets you input fluid directly.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 4, 2020