Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The download gates are open.

E: 11.6 GB download, 18.7 GB installed.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I have taken a bunch of screenshots with the P "photo" key, but where does it save those to?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Xerophyte posted:

Mine ended up in C:\Users\[me]\Documents\My Games\FactoryGame\Screenshots.

Ty.

Here's my humble factory so far. Only just unlocked Steel, haven't built any yet. I want to organize my assembly line better first, make some real buildings, etc.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

I would really like a global grid I can snap to to fulfill my sperg needs.

What? Just pave the world.

Popete posted:

What are the objectives in this game? Like are you earning money to buy upgrades arbitrarily or do you have specific goals like "build X number of Y"?

The setting feels like you're a minion of some evil space civ that travels to resource rich planets, mines them to the last speck of dust, and leaves again when there's nothing left but an abandoned factory floor.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Doesn’t it flat out tell you you’re an employee of FICSIT and you’re on the planet to supply some construction project with materials?

You don't quite get the big picture, but yeah it is pretty explicit.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Speedball posted:

Oh, wow, it is imperative you go exploring and find those hard drives in wrecked explorer pods. The alternative recipes they give out are way more efficient than the standard ones, I am having much more throughput with what was my worst bottleneck, reinforced iron plates.

The alternate recipe for Encased Industrial Beam doesn't seem very useful, at least it uses more raw materials. The original recipe calls for 4 Steel Beam and 5 Concrete. The alternate calls for 18 Steel Pipe and 10 Concrete. Each Steel Beam costs 3 ingots, and each Steel Pipe costs 1 ingot. So the alternate recipe takes 33% more steel and 100% more concrete.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Once you pick an alternate recipe after decoding a hard drive in the mam, how do you actually set that recipe in a machine? All I ever see are the originals.

You also need to unlock it in the HUB as a milestone.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Atoramos posted:

I can't confirm but in these cases it usually produces more product for slightly more input

Re-checked, and yeah it actually produces 3 output for those inputs I listed, so for 1.5x steel and 2x concrete you get 3x output.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Progress!

How much coal does a power plant actually consume?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The very non-random nature of the starts might make the game interesting for the speedrunning community, not really a bad thing.

I think I might some kind of sorting machine, e.g. one input, three outputs, puts items of one chosen type on first output, second chosen type on second output, and all other types on third output. It could make it viable to use trucks to transport a variety of items over long distances.
Also a customizable ratio splitter, so you don't have to make crazy chains of splits-merges (or wait until one belt backs up) to get a non-equal distribution.

Finally, I just discovered you can upgrade belts in place. Just select a different belt type and point to the existing.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Finally exploring far away, looking for oil. Driving around a big lake, and there's more and more of these creatures that shoot magic missiles. Any tips for dealing with them? They take more rebar gun shots than I can hit before dying to them, and fighting them with the sword isn't very successful either.
Edit: They seem to ignore me while I'm in the tractor, but attack as soon as I step off.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 22, 2019

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

pokie posted:

Hi folks, how do you swim up and down? Also is anyone playing multiplayer? I want to try that with fellow goons.

I'd be up for trying out multiplayer.

Eiba posted:

Researching what now? I've reached every base technology, I thought. Was the tech unlocked by scanning something?

Have you found Caterium ore? I think it might be the basis for an additional "secret" tech tree. Just finished researching the first stage myself.

Slickdrac posted:

Best way I've found is to jump over them repeatedly and stab em in the back as you sail over. They're still going to get some good shots, but losing 4 health is better than 12. If there's several, you could ragdoll one of them with the tractor away from the other, then fight it.

I managed to kill one, with the sword. They seem to be excessively good at dodging the rebar gun, jumping away as soon as you fire, before the dart hits.
I haven't checked, but are there any differences between their colors? I've seen green, yellow, and red ones, and think the yellow and red might be more difficult than the green ones.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I unlocked the smart splitter by researching a stack of Quickwire in the MAM, then unlocking the new milestone in HUB.

Spoiler for location of Caterium near the grassy plains: Follow this belt from the three iron nodes by a cliff - Cross a patch of sand and ascend onto a cliff overlooking a very deep valley - Caterium node is blocked by two large boulders you can't remove (in EA), but can still place portable miners on it

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What is everyone doing for remembering long routes for trucks? I'm basically building a power line the entire way from my main base to satellite bases, both to supply power, and to act as way markers.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

That's funny, with the iron ingot from copper ore, and the copper wire from iron ingots alternate recipes, I just bring my copper ores to my iron smelting and remove copper from my supply chain completely. It simplifies logistics quite a bit.

Now that I have oil coming in I can make computers and will see if a truck really can supply a full mk3 belt worth of materials. Does it unload instantly and then buffer an wagonload in the depot or something?

It takes a while to load and unload trucks, I think it does two stacks per second or there about. The truck carries 40 stacks, same as the truck station's capacity.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Xerophyte posted:

We're trying to start a small goon game so I started a very basic goon discord server at

Invite expired

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I kind of want a combine harvester vehicle. Mow through foliage and convert it to biomass, clear out those pesky forests.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

So chaotic...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I found a Geyser!

Unfortunately did not prepare the 8 supercomputers required to build a geothermal plant on it.
...and forgot to put down a beacon as well.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

This game badly needs blueprints. It's fine for now but if it's not in the final game..

Do you mean copy-paste of entire machine parks?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jamsque posted:

My two biggest desires for this game right now are for iron screws to be re-named to either iron bolts or iron rivets, and for resource requirements for the space elevator shipments to be increased by a factor of ten so that it is actually worth automating their production and using the belt inputs on the elevator.

The space elevator def. needs higher input requirements. I hand crafted all the final products for all the currently available tiers, only the intermediates being automated. I want the next stage to be something like 5000 computers and 10,000 heavy modular frames.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you want a truck route to out-transport belts in average throughput, you'd need multiple truck stations on each end, since you can't fill/empty a truck station faster than a single belt anyway.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I guess the question is, how much material does it take to build 2-3 km of level 4 belt? And would you rather build that belt than setting up one or a few trucks?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

DaveKap posted:

Wait... this game has terraforming? Or do you just mean you deforested?

I'm guessing build concrete blocks over it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I haven't had any particular issues with vehicle physics as long as I build ramps to foundations, or at least make sure there aren't sharp edges.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm watching a speedrun and it's sad how hand crafting everything is the most speed efficient.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I tried shooting the spitters once, and it seemed to me it kept dodging my shots. I've had much better luck with the sword, especially combined with the blade runners.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you're building for trucks then yeah, ramps are annoying. For walking, build one foundation and then walkways, since those connect directly.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

njsykora posted:

I think I'm done playing until the next content update, I wanted to start playing about with Caterium after finding a small deposit of it while looking for more oil but the only nearby vein of it has those giant rocks on it we probably need explosives to deal with so hopefully that stuff comes in with the next update.

Build portable miners on the exposed part of the node and manually empty the miners into a storage container once in a while. It's not continuous flow but still lets you get decent amounts.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

quote:

Added a second input and output to the Industrial Storage Container (previously Storage Container Mk.2)
This sounds nice too. Not just higher capacity but also higher throughput.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

So you can wield a chainsaw and a sword at the same time? But not wear a gas mask together with blade runners? How are multiple hand slots supposed to work?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

From the changelog it sounds like they depend on the Quartz tech tree which is probably level 7 or 8.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

How "complete" is this so far by Early Access standards?

My impression is they have a very clear vision/roadmap and are pretty much just filling in content.
There's at least 20 hours of play at the current level (to unlock everything), and probably another 3-6 hours with the update released as experimental right now.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I can no longer use the alternate recipes in manual crafting benches. Is that intentional?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nessin posted:

And some sort of filter (unless that comes later, I've only reached T3/4 in my game) option so you can pick which items to go to which belt.

That does exist, you need to discover and research Caterium to get those. (I think tier 5?)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

I'm so triggered right now.

What's the point of a mixed belt anyway?

Trucking a mix of items from one base to another.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think the biggest simple QoL improvement for me might be a hotkey to build whatever I last built, or whatever I last tore down. For example if I build a constructor the wrong way around, tear it down, hit the "rebuild" key, and be ready to build another one right away.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah there's many areas of the map that just aren't finished at all. I try to make a habit of using the "Send feedback" function in the main menu every time I find a buggy area of the map.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The only use I can think of is as a way to convert two belts of uneven rate to two belts of equal rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You should really just be setting up a production line making a few of the high-tier products feeding into a ton of containers, and then go exploring. When you get back you'll have plenty of everything to unlock stuff.

Re. nuclear power, the reactor generates 2500 MW and has a 300 s burn time per fuel unit. One fuel unit takes 45 uranium ore, some AI Limiters, stators, and encased beams. The fuel units have a 150 s production time, so one nuclear fuel production line can support two reactors.
I think there's 4 uranium nodes on the map, all normal quality, so if you put Mk3 miners on them all and overclock all 250%, by my calculations you can run around 106-107 nuclear reactors for a total of 265 GW power output.