Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The only content mod I use is the small storage one which gives you miniature containers with 8 slots, perfect for a small buffer or tapping off your production line to have components available for manual pickup.

Other than that I only use the must-have "Smart!" mod that lets you build almost anything in bulk and automatically places belts as appropriate when building splitters/mergers next to machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Satisfactory gets the best bugs when you use mods in multiplayer.

All praise our giant chainsaw sky god.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Belts are always the bottleneck early on. Doesn't matter how much you overclock your miners when your crappy belts can only move 120 ore/min anyway.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You still only have one output port from each miner.

It would be nice if you could put a splitter directly on a machine's output and it would feed it at unlimited speed. That would fix the problem of not being able to fully overclock Mk3 miners too. (Mk3 miners at 200%+ on a pure node mine faster than even Mk5 belts can handle)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

nielsm posted:

There is a way to belt feed biomass into power generation. It's called the alternate recipes for charcoal and biocoal, and then using coal generators.
The problem I feel is there's a pretty large gap in progression between biomass burners and coal power. If there was a belt-fed biomass burner or some other semi-automatable power source unlockable at Tier 2 it would help bridge that gap.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Watching Scalti's videos makes me appreciate Smart! so much.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Is he afraid of running out of space? :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

There's a guy on reddit that makes blueprints for 'stackable' factories (more factory = build another module on top). They're kinda interesting in a "weird design constraint" way, though I think they're kinda silly for how labor intense they'd be to build at scale... But they're exact blueprints if that's what you're looking for.
That's what I'm doing in my current save, making each component in a tower that can expand vertically as my capacity needs grow. :)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Anyone else playing multiplayer regularly run into the problem where the non-hosting player can't remove trees and foliage if they're too far away from the hosting player? My buddy went exploring eastern part of the map while I was building in the northern forest and said any tree he cut down would instantly come back, as if my hosting session didn't register his actions.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Can you build a normal support pole there?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

before i burn a not-insignificant amount of bandwidth re-downloading this and switching to experimental, does it seem reasonably stable or is it still in the early Here Be Dragons stage of updates?
I tried starting a new save in Experimental and the game would crash every 5-10 minutes, not for any specific reason. Some times it crashed when connecting a belt or a power line, some times when opening a machine UI, some times for no apparent reason at all.

Loading my previous U4 save hasn't crashed (yet), but I had a few modded buildings in that that I have to run around replacing.

e: Also holy poo poo the northern forest is gorgeous now.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 31, 2021

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Where you're at is still early game, you don't need to think about large-scale organization yet. Just run the output of what you're making now into the new machine. Don't worry too much about making a spaghetti mess, it's hard to stay organized when the unlocks are coming so fast.
Seconding this. Until you know where you're going, just plop down assemblers as you need them. I use satisfactorycalculator to figure out how many I can run from the resource nodes I have nearby, but I'm not overly concerned about making it 100% efficient until I've unlocked all the key techs.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Scalti says that all of his videos are now out of date because of the changes. Hundreds of hours of work. He's going to try to talk with Coffee Stain but he doesn't think that will help. At the end of the day folks, the game is in Early Access for a reason and you gotta be careful devoting too much energy to a certain style of play. OR you can be like me and consider it an opportunity to start fresh :)
I guess it's his sandwich layers that don't work any more? I honestly never really understood why he does those instead of just doing them a full wall height. I guess it looks better when you don't have the wall sitting on top of the foundation, but in Update 5 you have the 1m walls to cover that up. Most of his builds are still perfectly viable as long as you just do the sandwich layers a full wall height instead of 2/3 height.

Personally I think just having stuff floating in the air looks bad, so I'm very happy for the small pillars and other various support structures they've added.

Edit: Just tried it and I guess it wasn't that because I can still build sandwich layers the way he does.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 1, 2021

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And if your consumption isn't equal to your max consumption you should build some Awesome sinks and dump your excess into them so your lines don't sit idle.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That explains why I couldn't connect a lifter to a coal generator until I disassembled it and rebuilt it in the exact same location.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I wish the game would do selective snapping, so like you could do something like place a ghost of a pipe cross, then point at a pipe connection and the cross would align horizontally/vertically with it

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Probably because people have been asking for it since forever, and it's not a huge hassle to add if you already have a coordinate system in the game anyway.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There are a few collision box issues in the northern forest but nothing serious.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah the entire northern forest has been remade and there's no real way for the game to map what you've cut down to the new trees, so if you built in the northern forest your base will be nice and lush.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Roundboy posted:

Ok, truck routes seem to work, but JFC guys why did you make the default option when entering the 'V' menu to be 'start recording' ?

I JUST finished setting up a long route from my grassland start to my quartz node (and back!) and i had the truck sitting idle until i can refuel and set up future fuel. Quickly tapped V with the intent to start the autopilot, but i slipped and closed the menu, but it apparently started recording again.

I went in and cancelled, and tried to load the previous path, and its not there, nothing is saved. That menu should default to cancel as not to erase all the work i just did. I am a tad unhappy

EDIT : i see i need to explicitly save, whoops
I did the exact same thing yesterday and it annoyed me so much I quit the game. The radial menu is pretty bad, imo it should be a directional menu instead, with close/cancel as the default in the center.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The main gripes I have with the game at the moment is that piping and water extractors are still a pain in the butt, and trucks are as others pointed out somewhat awkward to use still. They're better than they were, but not being able to edit a track (beyond deleting individual nodes) without deleting and re-recording it is annoying.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A restart is a chance to rebuild better and not make the mistakes you did last time, a chance to make fresh and new mistakes instead.

I restart each time but I cheat in a handful of hard drive recipes because trusting RNG to give you the casted screws alt recipe is the least fun part of the early game.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I had two of the rhino mobs spawn inside each other and neither was able to move, letting me kill them easily.

The new bug spawners are pretty easy to deal with, just ignore the bugs and kill the spawner. You'll take a bit of damage but even with the xeno basher you'll kill the spawner before it can poop out a second bunch of bugs.

This time I didn't wait until tier 4 until I went looking for hard drives so I was able to get Cast Screws right away. :toot:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

They'll be compatible but if you've built along the north east coast you may come back to find part of your factory underground.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The optimization is in the oil/aluminium phases where you need to use the side products or face your production line locking up.

The easy way is to just dump the excess into the Awesome Sink, but if you want to challenge yourself try to balance production and consumption.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Apparently if you put a pipe intersection on a pipe that is too short (say, stretching between two floor holes 5m apart) it will work for a while, then randomly stop working. Or it will work fine for the rest of your play session, then not work the next time you load the save. :argh:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I play this game slowly. Today I spent 2 hours just making my coal power setup pretty, untangling the unholy mess of piping I had originally put down and generally tidying the place up. I didn't advance any goals by even one item.

fake edit: And now I see I forgot to finish one of the walkways.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

does this setup need pumps? I've always tried to build the flattest possible coal setups to avoid flow or pumping issues cause I hate the idea of losing power to pumping when I can avoid it. (Also, I think I thought pumps took more power then what I just saw when I looked it up.)
Yeah there are pumps on the four pipes that lead to the upper floor. The lower floor doesn't need them. I'm doing 1 extractor underclocked to 75% per 2 generators because it makes for an easier ratio.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mailer posted:

While I'm asking all the newbie questions, I'm still trying to figure this one out:

I was sitting there sorting my inventory to reinvest in a glorious coal future when the grid tripped. I powered it back on and everything is fine. Following bad youtube advice (instead of reading the numbers) led to some... inefficiencies in supply to the current adhoc coal setup, which I guess is why power production wobbles like that.

Did I just finally hit the inevitable coincidence when all the assemblers fired at once during a dip in coal-produced power?
Nah, it wasn't a spike in demand, but your capacity (grey line) dipped below consumption. Most likely something choked up in your water supply and several generators stopped at the same time.

As mentioned earlier, if you use floor holes for piping that can some times restrict flow for no apparent reason, so it's often better to just clip the pipes through the floors and add the floor holes afterwards if you want the look of floor holes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Smiling Demon posted:

To be fair, building inline on pipes and belts is relatively new.

I tend not to do so out of habit. I'd previously developed preferred techniques for building pipe/belt systems and inline construction doesn't really fit into that.

If you fully embrace spaghetti though it would definitely make building easier. Apart from spaghetti inherently not making things easier.
Same. When laying out the logistics floor of my factories it's typically: Place down splitters/mergers as needed, connect lifts, then connect everything with belts.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A thing I'm doing with sandwich factories is making floor slightly offset to accomodate smokestacks on the buildings that have them like refineries and coal generators. Looks pretty neat if you ask me. In this case each level is offset by half a foundation (using walkways to adjust the offset when building)

e: Vanity shot of my Computer factory. Never going to make another one that's completely enclosed in glass like this though, it absolutely murders the framerate on my 1060 :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

They've said clearly that they'll never implement machines breaking because they want the game to be a casual building experience rather than a constant pain in the rear end. Good design choice imo.
Agreed. They also said they'll never have the fauna attack your factory, for the same reason.

I still wish Trucks were easier to use. They're better than they were, but ideally you'd be able to just tell a truck to go from one station to another and it would find its own way there, with the option of manually placing down waypoints for finer control.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I wish the splitter/merger was a bit smaller, just so you could see a bit more of connecting belts.

At least they fixed the merger being slightly offset in height from the splitter in U5, that was driving me mad before.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ben Nerevarine posted:

As somebody who slide jumps everywhere out of habit I agree, I think if it gave a slightly greater benefit and also if sliding in general conserved momentum, they could squeeze quite a bit more fun out of basic movement
Let us ski on downslopes like in Tribes.

Also add an lower tech off-road exploration vehicle just for personal mobility, like an ATV.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Isn't that what the Explorer is?
The Explorer requires Heavy Modular Frames which are unlocked at Tier 4 so I wouldn't call it early game.

I guess the blade runners are meant as the early game mobility option.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

priznat posted:

Also: each screw in a bin lovingly individually rendered
Each screw is a separate object with collision physics.

The first time you produce a bin of screws your CPU explodes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I wish they'd fix trucks bouncing when you drive on foundations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I like the small storage containers for tapping off a bit of resources before you have smart splitters.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 25, 2022

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah the biggest QoL change your can do for yourself is rebind the Paste Settings to something you can hit without taking your hand off WASD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I wanted to test the personal teleporter mod, but half of the mod's description is the author begging for crypto donations. :negative: