Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
What does "at once" mean? How quickly does it charge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Astroniomix posted:

It doesn't charge, it just draws 40mw of power constantly as long as it's connected until you open the door.

Oh, so the listed requirements are lying to you? Good to know, I guess.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Astroniomix posted:

It's not lying, unlike factorio buildings don't store electricity, in this game they just use their full listed amount any time they are operating.

What you just said was that a pod that says it requires 40MWh to open instead just needs a 40MW connection.

It's like saying you need to travel 100km but what actually fills the requirement is going 100 km/h for 1 second.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I mean, if you hooked exactly 40MW up to it and it opened in less than one hour, it didn't consume 40MWh of energy.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Wouldn't blueprints kind of trivialize things? Make one machine with inputs and output and splitters. Hold ctrl + paste and run in a cardinal direction. Then do it again for your row, then do it again for your floor.

It would remove the part where you do the same thing over and over again and let you focus on the part where you design novel things.

I don't think this is a game about dragging connections between arrays of splitters and mergers or clicking on power poles.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

nielsm posted:

I'm watching a speedrun and it's sad how hand crafting everything is the most speed efficient.

A speedrun to a later stage would ultimately build more automation. When you automate, you're paying a one time cost of resources (not only the cost of the items to build it, but also the time that goes into placing it) in order to get resources over time. The run needs to go long enough for building that building to pay for itself.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Estraysian posted:

The copper + iron into iron ingots recipe is basically magical.

That one plus the iron wire recipe is real magic.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ixjuvin posted:

When do radar and the map become things? I loaded up my old save (just pre-steel production) and couldn't find them anywhere. Do I need to start a new game or are they deeper in the tech tree?

They come with quartz, which you unlock by mining quartz.

You need to manually click on the quartz node to get it, even if you've already mined it before the patch.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
They can take an unlimited number of filter conditions. It's honestly not super useful for anything I've thought of.

Like, with your thing, where you'd have a belt of unsorted inputs and then want to filter out each kind of item and put it on its own belt, you'd only need one filter condition per splitter.

The thing I'd really want to make something like that is a priority merger. Let me greedily take from the sorter belt input to minimize the chance that things get backed up in the sorting system. Right now you can sort of emulate that by taking an arbitrary number of splitters/mergers in order to make it prefer one input over another, but that's big and bulky and requires a lot of clicks to place.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Launching off belts with a jetpack gets you around the world pretty quick.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

nielsm posted:

I can no longer use the alternate recipes in manual crafting benches. Is that intentional?

Yes, for some reason.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Glagha posted:

I think part of it is they want to discourage you from hand crafting because it's actually just faster to craft poo poo by hand in a lot of cases, so they limit what you can actually do by hand to force you to engage with factories. Not that I feel like people need an incentive to automate in the game about automation but there you go.

If they want to encourage automation, they should probably move coal power up in the tech tree. Early on, I'm thinking: I could automate this but then I'd have to collect more leaves and stuff more trash in these generators so I'll just lean on this button for a bit.

When I unlock an alt recipe, the last thing I'm thinking is "now I can more efficiently handcraft en masse" but I am inconvenienced by not being able to look at it in what is otherwise a master list of recipes, and now I need to make a bunch of dummy buildings just to be able to see the recipes to plan my factory.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Cojawfee posted:

They should definitely pause new features at some point and focus back on the early game because it's pretty frustrating. It's often easier to just manually create the things I need than figuring out how to set up constructors and assemblers and all the belts needed. Sure, I can build a factory set up, but I can't build the setup I want yet, because they gimped the features of something to have a later thing do it. So I can waste my time building an automated setup that I will have to tear down or abandon later, or I can just hold down the space bar while looking at my phone. They need to have an easier way to upgrade things. Right now, when you remove a building, you can't just replace it because it won't want to attach to the conveyors that were attached to the last building that was there.

That's certainly also a thing. The act of building isn't very fun and it seems like they're leaning against that when they give you things like the smelter mk2 which is the same recipe just faster and less energy efficient. The only reason you'd want to use it is because you have to click fewer times to make the same production capacity.

Also, in factorio, making a compact layout is fun and rewarding. In this game, hitting the limits of what a belt can do is frustrating. Players can't reliably predict what is and isn't a valid belt placement. Once you've completed a chunk of work fidding with belts, you just have to do the exact same thing for the next machine.

Like, in factorio if I do a bunch of work to make a given part of my factory be 10% smaller or require 10% fewer materials to build, that's great because I did a fixed amount of work and then can tile that work to reap multiplicative gains. In satisfactory, I can design a cool thing but then I have to spend an amount of extra time per factory built to tile it and I would have been better off with whatever plan had the fewest clicks to build.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

nielsm posted:

I think the biggest simple QoL improvement for me might be a hotkey to build whatever I last built, or whatever I last tore down. For example if I build a constructor the wrong way around, tear it down, hit the "rebuild" key, and be ready to build another one right away.

Or just steal q from factorio.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I just delete items from my inventory.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

thark posted:

Well, I got nuclear power running, so that's a thing.

My own amusing train anecdote is that the locomotive and the freight cars seem to be living separate lives. A locomotive by its lonesome pulls into the station, invisible ghost wagons get loaded and unloaded with as far as I can tell the proper contents. Meanwhile I see the freight cars going around the track with nothing pulling them.

Also my amazing spaghetti mess is now chugging along at like 10fps. I could swear that it wasn't this slow before (it would stagger a little if I went high to overlook the entire factory but not a constant low). Granting that there's been a lot of production added but also most of that isn't running anyways due to backed up storages.

Gods what a horrible broken mess.
(The cave train line looks really dumb on a map without context.)

There's some sort of resource leak associated with trains. As long as you have trains running, your game will run slower and slower.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

thark posted:

I frankly find it a bit annoying (even though in practice it's probably benificial) how all machine have a full stack of buffer on all inputs and outputs. Makes it harder to figure out where bottlenecks are (and they propagate very slowly if something's previously been backed up).

In factorio, the machines have an input buffer of one craft's worth, and I like that a lot better.

The full stack of buffer increases the latency between doing something and seeing the result of it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

When was the last time you shoved leaves into a fuel take and it started working? I'll buy that the biomass burners will consume anything, but consume fuels more efficiently.

I don’t know about you but I expect my chainsaws to take gasoline.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Yeah. They added a new rule that's "everything else" and the old rule functions the same as if you had put every item in the game on the list individually.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
That doesn't invalidate the bus concept. You don't have to put every single intermediate on the bus. Consider the screw producers and screw consumers as a single construction unit and build them next to each other.

Also, if you need more than one belt to handle a material, build more than one belt. The concept doesn't restrict the number of belts you can build.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

totalnewbie posted:

It's been a while since I've visited the game - are there blueprints, yet?

There's mass deconstruct.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

LonsomeSon posted:

Factorio has a fixed perspective and no z-axis for buildings, some of the buildings in Satisfactory are so large that if you're standing on the same surface as them when placing them, their edges are WELL out of frame.

I professionally work with a lot of automated manufacturing machines and I appreciate that the scale of these sophisticated and modular devices relative to how large the player character feels in the game space feels viscerally correct, but once you are slamming down rows of T3 manufacturers and especially oil refineries it leads to this scale dissociation which would be appropriate if the scale of the game zoomed out at a certain point and you either weren't a body climbing around equipment to make connections, or were controlling one more like a platformer and less like an FPS.

I really thought that's what the jetpack would be before I unlocked it. A way to fly around and hover in place to build things from a top down view. It seemed to make so sense that the game would transition into tools to allow you to do large things in parallel. but, those tools never appeared. Your large scale construction is still limited by your ability to click every little connection over and over. Once that becomes your bottleneck, scaling up doesn't seem nearly as fun.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Any part of the exploration or combat that can be circumvented with a jetpack can also be circumvented by building platforms.

It seems silly to restrict the fun of the building tools because of parts of the game that already are defeated by applying building tools to them.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I thought it was said that it was a one year exclusive. So, probably expect it in march.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Wrr posted:

I'm down for doing some co-op once the new update hits. How does it handle the shared factory game? Does the factory just live on the hosts computer and the partners join in?

Yeah. You can also pass the save file around and it will keep proper track of who's who. I did that with my friends because being the host is a better experience and it's good to spread that around.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Just started fresh in experimental in the forest. The starting biomass energy grind seems much better this time. Not sure if it's just the solid biomass or maybe chainsaw is earlier.

When do you unlock the walls with conveyor pass-through? Did they get rid of them or is it above tier 4?

They're in the ticket store. Tier 2.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Domattee posted:

The mergers feed forward into more mergers and then storage and output. The splitters send half of their input to the next splitter and half back to the mergers. If the output isn't backed up 1/128 of the input is sent to the muncher.

I did a similar thing, but put lifts on both sides. 2^7 = 128, but 3^7 = 2187.

e: actually, after seeing the other shot, I did something different. Here's mine

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 16, 2020

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Domattee posted:

I thought about doing something like that, but I have three products filtering at once, rubber, plastic and petroleum coke, and that setup was too bulky for me. Is the middle row of mergers just decorative?

The middle row could be deleted. You have to build the splitters and mergers separated to get the spacing right.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

euphronius posted:

How do you get tube entrances pointing up? (Or down)

When placing the pole, you click once to choose the base position, and them while you can adjust the height, the mouse wheel rotates the exit.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

euphronius posted:

That doesn’t work for me for the powered opening sections

Place the pole first. The entrance snaps to the pole.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

socialsecurity posted:

I'll consider it ready for release once it has a blueprint or copy paste built in. Too much time is spent repeating the same few clicks for any sort of mass production.

The mod "area actions" has this.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Tenebrais posted:

No, though I'm not sure when you'd want a stackable pole without caring enough about where it is to place it first?

I do wish stackable poles would snap to regular poles though. Also that stackable conveyor poles and stackable pipe supports could be mixed, they have the same dimensions...

If I wsnt to make a run of conveyor belts across the landscape, I have to start placing a conveyor belt, see where the max length is, then stop placing the belt, then place a stackable pole in approximately the right spot, then snipe the distant pole and drag a belt to the new one.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

LonsomeSon posted:

Just got a five-slot Expanded Pocket Dimension option from scanning a hard drive, didn't know that could actually happen.

There're a finite number of hard drives on the map, though, and I guess I always assumed based on no evidence that there would be fewer drives than alt recipes. If that is the case, doesn't seem like a great pick.

There's more alt recipes than drives. The game used to have an issue where it would crash after researching a drive with no recipes left to find.

Also, the rule for despawning enemies is different in update 3. It used to be that if you built anything in their radius, they would never respawn. Now, you need some number of running factory buildings within a radius.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Sorry, I mispoke earlier. There's 89 hard drives and 69 recipes.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
A car has 8 engines and you can't convince me otherwise.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Evilreaver posted:

Actually the devs are the bitter ones, if you suggest something like "why not do __________ like this, factorio did it and it works great" they get all salty and say "no!! This isn't factorio it is its own game!!"

Very similar to Anthem vs Destiny

When they talked about making pipes, they said they started from a baseline of copying factorio excpet it had to be different because of 3d.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Power generators only generate as much power as they need. If you're running at 50% of your power capacity, then the generators will run at half speed. It's not sufficient to see that the generators are filled and running.

I just build coal generators over the ocean with 2 generators per extractor, because then they line up nicely. I very much recommend downclocking things to make the ratios work for you.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Cojawfee posted:

Is this a known thing? I was out and about at my oil facility and needed to run some pipe to a second fuel generator, but had no copper plating. I found a copper node nearby and started mining it manually. I needed to do something in another window, so I pressed tab to get a mouse cursor. Then my dude kept mining on his own. As long as I had the inventory open, it would mine automatically once I had started. Was nice to grab enough ore to make the pipes while looking at my phone.

Also, is there no way to find crash sites with the scanner anymore?

It's a MAM research. Quartz, I think.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I cover spikes by building more generators than I can fuel. That's effectively a battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's not just about what program triggers the exe to launch. It's an entirely different framework for user data and cloud saves and friends list and all that stuff. Plus it needs to be fully compatible with the epic client and allow people on different launchers to talk to each other and play the game. And, all of this needs to be done in the right way so that they're not creating a bunch of extra work every time they want to deploy a new version.