Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ninjewtsu posted:

trucks are worse than conveyer belts in satisfactory the same way trains are worse than belts in factorio. yes, you can technically achieve more throughput by running 12 belts in parallel across miles of map, but why would you want to? just set up a route and put that time and those resources to better use somewhere else

I don't quite get this, I mean the material can only exit the production facility/enter the truck station as fast as a belt can take it so how is a truck faster then a belt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Phobeste posted:

What he’s saying is belts can be faster because they’re parallelizable so in theory they’re always better but with trucks or trains or whatever the benefit is you don’t have to do insane parallel belting for literal kilometers.

One thing that factorio does for trains that hopefully satisfactory also does is parallel load/unload which in fact does make them more efficient than belts, period

So you what stack multiple truck stations where does the inputs on those come from? Like I belt my oil back to my base, it produces 240 minute out of the machine the belt can handle 450 minute how would a truck get that back to my base faster then the belt does?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I like my 2km tier 4 belts just because they serve as easy fast travel so if I'm out exploring I can bounce to my oil field and ride the belt back.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I uh have a confession to make, I am on the max tier of the current beta and built a super factory for super computers. I just learned that you can combine power plants to make a combined power grid, at some point early on I thought you couldn't so I've been calculating exactly like 150mw per fuel power plant for each of my power grids.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bondematt posted:

He probably did, and then the power went out.

Yeah I think early on I built too much and combined the two power plants on the hub and guess that caused it. Overall it's not been so bad except for that while on coal power where some buildings needed 55mw I have had to overclock the power plant. I started combining my power plants now but it's been so long and the factories so big it's hard to even figure out how to hook then together. I guess geothermal plants make more sense now too.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mr. Powers posted:

If you have N item types on a belt to sort, you can use the smart splitter to pick off 2 at each splitter. With a programmable splitter you can sort hierarchically rather than serially. Ores to the left, Ingots to the right, secondary sorts on each of those, plus everything further down the main sorting trunk.

I have never ended up with more then one thing on a belt in this game due to space not being any sort of issue and all machines directly outputting to a belt.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

LonsomeSon posted:

The first hotfix update last month deleted all the coal from every inventory slot in my save, including my own, vehicle cargo bays, and vehicle fuel slots.

I actually decided to re-embark rather than try to fix all of that, since it was my first start. In hindsight it wouldn't have been that big a deal I guess.

In other news, I started for a third time on since I didn't even check for saved games after installing the separate experimental client. I found one chunk of quartz but it only yielded 20 raw and I have yet to find another, though I've got a stack and a half of Bauxite, three stacks of SAM Ore, and enough sulfur from chunks that I was able to unlock and build demolitions, the rifle, and 30ish cartridges before going out to set up a sulfur outpost.

Would anyone in this thread be willing to give me the location of a quartz chunk relative to the sunken lake near the plains starting area, the one with four coal veins on the north shore, plus a Normal copper and a Pure iron about 250m west? I did quite a bit of perambulating to gather all the above poo poo and I really just want to play with the other new toys.

https://www.satisfactorymap.com

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Crazyeyes24 posted:

So this game is looking drat good and would scratch one hell of an itch. After being burned on almost every single early access title I've bought into, and not wanting to touch anything Epic with a 10ft pole, I have to ask: Is it worth it?

It's good but not great so far, don't go in expecting Factorio or anything. The lack of biters/the 3dness of it removes much/all of the challenge and the lack of blueprints makes the scale to which you need to build poo poo very tedious. It has potential though and if you are after a more sandbox experience it's decent but I'd give it another year or so.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Biosmass doesn't encourage exploration either, there's tons of it right near where you start in most places, it's just pointless busywork moreso then the rest of the game is.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'll consider it ready for release once it has a blueprint or copy paste built in. Too much time is spent repeating the same few clicks for any sort of mass production.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The combat is my least favorite thing about this game, I even liked Factorio's biters. I feel like this game should borrow a page from Fortresscraft where waves based on your pollution would spawn and attack only your HQ. If they destroyed it your factory would reset for a while but not need to be rebuilt, they already have a central target with the space elevator.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fangz posted:

Satisfactory is designed to produce expansive factories. Rebalancing the game to make factories smaller just so completely misses the point.

Satisfying tier requirements is also meant to take some time, time the player is supposed to spend exploring and connecting up new resources. Really what is missing is more stuff to make exploring more rewarding, not new methods to make it quicker to burn through all the content and unlock everything. (Well, maybe a turbo production game mode might work)

Placing 100x duplicate machines and power connections and conveyor belts with dozens of clicks per unit is not content it is busywork.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fangz posted:

A fuel efficient hover mode for the jetpack would be nice for building stuff, yeah.

You really don't need 100x duplicate machines.

Then why does it matter if we get a blueprint system to make mass production easier? Why is it so important that they manually place each piece for however many copies they need?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fangz posted:

Let me explain again, what you are supposed to do is *not* hit the next tier as soon as possible. You are not suppose to scale up for mass production by clicking a thousand times or whatever until you can produce what you need in two minutes.

You are supposed to get your factory to the state where it will eventually produce what you require in an hour or so, and then spend that time exploring the map while the factory chugs away in the background. That's the loop. It means you intersperse building with other stuff so it doesn't get stale.

This is why blueprints are problematic, because you cut out half the game. What's the point in going hours across the map hunting recipes to speed up your factory, and going through the whole process of changing production lines, when you can copy paste and double your manufacture in a click? And then quadruple it. Octuple it? What's the point of power slugs for a power expensive +50% manufacture speed when you can just make two factories?

That's the content I mean. Not the content of a thousand clicks, the content of meaningful exploration and meeting the games challenges. If you can hurry the game up and just do more of the same thing and unlock everything without engaging in half the game, for me at least, it weakens things.

If the only point of exploration is to reduce tedium then that's not a good game. Alternative recipes aren't just about speed but using the right resources. Also your examples somehow imply that resource nodes are not somehow bottlenecks.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'd be fine with simple copy/pasting not even importing blueprints.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I haven't played this in years. Glad to see Blueprints in but the size is very restrictive, I can't even figure out how to get a 2 row setup of smelters to fit in this square.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CainFortea posted:

Embrace

V
E
R
T
I
C
A
L
I
T
Y

I refuse Factorio was too good for a Z-axis so I'm gonna pretend this is too!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Just learned the hard time consuming way that blueprints do not connect rails despite visually looking like they do. Also if you have two tails too close the signals mix, they need some QoL on all this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I use a mod for earlier trains and just set up train lines going everywhere, easy enough to ride the rails to get to parts of the base at that point.