Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Picked this up over the weekend after hemming and hawing over the EGS for a while, the Giant Bomb content is what tipped me over. I played quite a bit and just got to Coal power but haven't done anything with it yet. I'm liking it a lot but coming from Factorio it is a lot harder to set up compact factories because the assemblers are just so goddamn huge. I did realize I can make basically an infinite stretching platform of foundations in the sky so I'm moving my factory to a giant manmade plateau with the resources being mined/smelted underneath and feeding up to the top. It seems a bit cheap to do it this way but meh it works :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm still probably mid game right now, just got coal fully up and running, working on getting started with Steel production, and I agree with pretty much everything in this big list of :words:

The game is a lot of fun and I'm definitely still hooked atm but the automation stuff is incredibly slow in some cases compared to just manually making a bunch of stuff. Adding more buildings in to crank out more items is a good way around this but with how much space everything takes up it just gets incredibly overwhelming, and making a tower to look down at from above isn't a great solution as it makes it pretty tough to line poo poo up that's not directly below you anyway (plus I fall off the ladder every goddamn time)

I haven't messed with the trucks yet but the idea of that sounds cool, however the drones in Factorio really do give you that level of "Holy poo poo, I've made it" when you walk into your base and you get swarmed with bots taking junk from you and bringing you materials that you need. It's just so cool. And it doesn't sound like there's anything like that planned for this game. It's still early access, and it definitely took Factorio a very very long time to get to the game it is today so I've not totally lost hope however the tail on this game seems a lot shorter than Factorio from what I can tell.

Edit: That said, I haven't really done any exploration in the world at all at this point so I'm sure there's some cool stuff out there for me to see, but I was never really one who cared about stuff not related to my base in Factorio and I kind of feel the same way here. I am perfectly happy staying in my area getting an efficient base up and running and don't have much interest in exploring outward unless it's for a distant resource I need.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 10, 2019

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat, I feel like there was a tipping point while trying to keep 100% production on my Frames factory where I wasn't paying enough attention and my iron production grinded to a halt. My conveyors went totally dry, I'm pretty sure I put a few too many factories on the line without expanding my smelting capabilities. I'm basically trying to squeeze in an extra smelter or two where there used to be only one originally, as well as boosting production with slugs now that I have free time while this stuff assembles.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I loaded up my factory from a few versions ago to check out the changes and really like the new stuff. The elevators make a majority of my tangled web of conveyor belts completely unnecessary. I think the alternate blueprints is a neat way to get around some bottlenecks later on but it's tough to re-work an existing factory to fit the changes that have been made since. I think at this point it's probably best for me to just start a new factory, but I might just wait until this thing actually launches before trying it again.

Is there a way to start an elevator at a raised belt without having to build a platform up to support it? I was having issues moving a belt down to a lower level since the elevator has to start at the input point, unless there's a way to reverse the direction?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I dunno if it's just because of the new desert map I'm playing on but man I'm having some nasty LOD problems with this experimental version. My buildings are turning into Lego from a few hundred yards away and I have everything maxed out. I tried setting everything to Medium to see if the ultra settings were just bugged but it doesn't seem to change. Anyone have any ideas or seeing the same thing?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a trick to reverse the direction of a conveyor lift? I'm building a 2nd floor on my factory and feeding stuff down but it's a shitton harder to figure out a way to start the conveyor and build down instead of start on the bottom and build up in a lot of cases.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Domattee posted:

If you build the belts leading away at the bottom first you can build from bottom to top with the lifts delivering top to bottom.

The way lift placement works is that the entry is placed first and the exit second, but this is overriden if the first point already has a direction set by an outgoing belt.

Oh awesome, thank you!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm actually burning out on this pretty early on because of the rebalanced recipes. Everything just takes so drat long to craft now that I'm doubling up on assemblers which means I need to supply more materials and I end up stopping my sessions frustrated at something.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

euphronius posted:

The alternate screw recipe helps

The cart and tubes also help. You spend so much less time running

I haven't gotten the tubes yet but those do sound extremely helpful for getting around. Also I have the cart available but not enough coupons for it so I should probably get on that sooner than later.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mayveena posted:

Satisfactory update (still on experimental branch)
Splitters and Mergers now snap onto Conveyor end points and directly onto Conveyor Poles as well

:bisonyes:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bobulus posted:

I'm blanking on what this means:

It's like an eyedropper tool, so whatever you look at and hit MMB it'll bring up a construction overlay for that item. Which is loving incredible because I always wanted this feature :woop:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got back into this with the new update and finally seeing some of the late game tech from even prior updates for the first time like trains and I'm all the way back in. I'm gradually working on T7/8 for the first time so I can't wait to see what bullshit comes next :shepface:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat there's a rifle? I didn't even know there was a map. I should probably get back on that MAM now that I have T7/8 in the works.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there an easy way to determine where I should be placing pumps along a line? I try staggering them but no matter what I do I seem to have issues getting fluids to do my bidding in this game. Should I be using pumps right out of the extractors? Placing them every couple of meters? Are they always necessary or only when trying to pump up?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Perfect, thank you! I noticed the blue headlift indicator but wasn't sure if that's what it was or if it was purely for showing flow direction.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just unlocked the buggy and man this thing is a lot more fun to drive around than the tractor. Also got some geothermal plants up just as my fuel shortage looms which has given me a lot more time to figure out that whole situation. Batteries make dealing with power issues so much more forgiving now, holy poo poo.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Maybe a dumb question but when it comes to figuring out ratios like in that image, how are you all figuring out what you want your output to be? Is it just eyeballing a number you think you can achieve with your input or are you specifically factoring in a product you're trying to make with (in this example) those screws that makes you land on shooting for 120 screws/m? What do you do when you need to expand in that case? I've always played this game by trying to flood the conveyors with enough products so I don't have to worry about ratios but I'm beginning to understand why you can't always do that and am trying to go back and repair some jank parts of my factory that I made before I understood this concept.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tenebrais posted:

Personally, I tend to plan my factories "vertically" - that is, I target a particular output, then work backwards from that to figure out what I need to put in and work out all the intermediate processing. I built a spreadsheet to help with all the calculations, but there are online tools too.

When I want to expand, I do it again, building a separate facility to make this new batch of versatile frameworks or what have you. Depending on the complexity of the product and the available resources this can either be a whole new factory in a new part of the map, or just paving over an existing one and building up on the next floor.

Satisfactory doesn't get on too well with trying to do a bus-like system like Factorio; the belts don't have enough throughput for it. The highest tier belts in Satisfactory have the same throughput as the basic tier-1 belts in Factorio. It doesn't take a lot of factories to consume more iron plates than your current highest tier of belt can supply.

Got it, thank you for this. I've kind of been doing it this way, I have a few separate facilities now and either belt them in or bring them in via train then find *somewhere* up stream that I can plug it into with a merger to fill it up. Definitely going to have to do this with screws for my next project. I think if I started from scratch knowing what I know now I could do things differently so probably most of my frustrations are coming from trying to work with what I've got, which is why I've given up and started making offshoot factories anyway.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think a lot of times my issue is I'm setting up factories for an intermediary product like steel pipes without necessarily intending on using them to supply another chain, but then I realize later I need a factory making X so I plug into the steel pipes factory. I guess at that point I should be looking to see what product X needs so I can add to the steel pipes if needed.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat, pro loving tip right there.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah those stackable designs rule, tyvm for posting them.

Also I'm a loving idiot and just realized I built my only two oil platforms I have right now on two impure nodes. That would probably explain my crude oil shortage. :cripes:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I unlocked aluminum processing and definitely had a "I think I'm done for tonight...." moment with this last night lol. I really want to start working my way towards drones so I need to buckle down and get to it but I gotta spin up a whole new factory again. The cosmic ballet goes on.. :negative:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

In Factorio I only really used the blueprints for the tedious stuff like building walls and defensive structures once I had more materials than god himself. These are handy diagrams for me to look at and get ideas, not necessarily something I plan on stamping out in a factory. People can play how they want to though so whatever, I just won't use them. I can imagine at a certain point though if you have enough of everything that you're just ramping up production to see what is the upper limit then stamping out factories like ploppables in sim city could be appealing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tamba posted:

They really should at least include something like the SMART! mod, where making one building and making a dozen of the same building in a row takes roughly the same effort.

Does this mod let me lay down entire factory floors at once because if yes I want that

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tamba posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7jHpKhhqaY

e: and the more recent versions can also mass connect belts and splitters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmkfqByx0i0

Dear god.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

These last few posts have made me feel a lot better about plugging poo poo in until it (mostly) works.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Looks incredible. I saw someone on a stream doing that thing where the tiny belt pokes out to show which items are inside and that pretty much blew my goddamn mind. I'm not really in a position that I can easily set up a "mall" anymore so I just hop around to all the various crates I have set up as overflows and man that has made it so much easier to find what I need.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Klyith posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: Smart has been updated! :siren: :siren: :siren:

Thank you for your service

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got my aluminum plant going last night and was able to get the Hover Pack upgrade and holy poo poo this thing is incredible :stare:

I wish there was a way to "charge" it so I could use it off the grid but my god not having to build platforms any time I want to build to the front of something but can't reach it is worth it alone. Also good for sitting back and :okpos: while you marvel at your creation

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hang on a sec, you can intersect train lines? I tried this and thought it didn't work but maybe I was doing it wrong. Can they transfer rails?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy poo poo, I thought each train needed its own dedicated track but it sounds way better than that. Thank you, I'll have to mess around with it more tonight.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I never bothered using trucks except for an early form of transportation, I always heard the AI was so finnicky that it wasn't worth the trouble. Trains I guess are better because they can haul a ton and have to stay on the track? :shrug:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there any way to combat lag/hitching late game or is it just kind of a thing you have to deal with?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Is there a way to get your crate if you fall into the void?

I've never tried it but can't you edit your game using the satisfactory map tool save editor? Maybe check to see if it shows up on the map and move it by right clicking it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just got my first Drone station set up, is there an easy way to automate battery delivery from a central battery factory? It looks like it's just point a - point b stuff so I am thinking no but it would be nice to have a drones automatically supply batteries to other drone stations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a way to specify a drone trip as pick up/drop off only? I wish the drone system was a tad more fleshed out. I don't necessarily need automated delivery like Factorio but I would like to be able to specify what I want the drone to do on each leg of the trip. I think I'm trying to overcomplicate things by using the same drone port for a few different things and it's really not working out.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This battery distribution with the drones is frustrating the hell out of me, I really just want an easy way to distribute them with drones so I'm not running out constantly but it's just been a huge pain in the rear end. I think I've expanded too much too fast with them too because these things use up a lot of them.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nukelear v.2 posted:

The easiest configuration for drones I've found is a hub and spoke model. Set your hub of drone stations up at your primary base and from there you can send/receive items to your spoke/satellite bases.
Since batteries are a weird pita to make, I had to build them at my aluminum satellite base and use a single drone to bring them back to my hub where they get distributed to all the hub drone stations. Since you only need batteries on one end of the journey, the satellite stations therefore don't need batteries.

But if you're just running out of batteries, make more? I use drones pretty sparingly due to their high fuel and power costs.

Yeah I need to just ramp up battery production for sure, I have one mixer making them and it's nowhere near enough to cover all of the bases I'm setting up with Drones. Like you said having a central battery production factory with the spokes delivering batteries out to a second drone port for every drone port that is dedicated to receiving batteries, then belting them out to the main drone port doing the resource carrying.

I think my frustration was I had set up a system for drones to bring in oil residue to supply the refineries I was using for fuel but batteries keep running out and I'm already running on a power deficit. I unlocked the geyser resource extractors last night though so I set up a massive coal plant in the desert to cover the difference and give me some breathing room so now I get to think about how I'm going to ramp up battery production :sigh:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Klyith posted:

Oh yeah, I'd agree that you've over-expanded with the drones and probably need to start backfilling with better infrastructure, not just make more batteries. That's a very silly job for multiple drones, which would be super simple for one train. (And for which the train is much more reliable, important when it's your power production).

Batteries use a lot of sulfur, so using drones for stuff like that is just not viable at scale. Whether you do trains for bulk transport or not is an option -- long-range pipes & conveyors also work -- but at 5 batteries to move a couple stacks, it's definitely not drones.

Thanks for the words, I think you're absolutely right and it's making me realize I could just shift the refinement process to where the friggin oil is in the first place and simplify the hell out of this procedure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Okay I moved my fuel power center straight to the nodes I was moving packaged oil residue from and doing all the refinement on site and yeah this is working so much better. I will say the SMART! mod makes setting up these side pop-up factories so much less of a hassle because I can throw down a huge platform real easily. I still haven't figured out how to do the auto-connecting splitters/mergers though but I don't really need that part of the mod tbh.