Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Here's my wall of text review of my alpha weekend experience. After playing this game all weekend, I am optimistic about the potential with some reservations. There much to like here but it definitely has room for improvement.

On Friday, I was pretty hyped only to end up somewhat underwhelmed. I got stuck in geometry on several occasions forcing me to kill myself and I encountered a hard crash when trying to manually feed a factory. I also noticed several typos and missing icons. I get that they say it's alpha but it's going on sale in a week and I doubt everything will be fixed in time. It will be early access of course but I feel that they probably need a few more months to flesh things out.

The view distance is pretty poor which is a real shame when the environments are so beautiful. I have a fairly beefy machine (9700k, 1080, 32gigs) with the settings maxed. When you climb up really high and try to get a view of your entire factory, you end up with a culled mess of low res textures and items jumping around on belts at an extremely low framerate. Panoramic views of the wilderness tend to be obscured by fog which looks nice but is only there to reduce detail.

One thing that really got me is that it's clear that you rely heavily on hand crafting to progress. There appears to be items that simply cannot be built in automated factories, like mining drills. It then gets convoluted when structures are assembled automatically from materials in you inventory but other items need to be built at a work bench. It's quite different from Factorio where 'everything' can be automated and you have factories constructing other factories.

I forgot all of these criticisms by Saturday when I constructed a glorious 3 story building with belts wrapping around the outside and inside walls to deposit finished components in the first floor warehouse. There's some issues with belts wrapping around outside corners but they allow you to cheat by constructing temporary platforms that can be deleted later for aesthetics. The game does a really good job of making base construction fun and we're going to see tons of screenshots of crazy structures.

Exploration is a joy and it helps break up the tedium of crafting. It's great that you can climb almost anywhere and you can build your own bridges and ramps to even more distant locales. There's all kinds of strange collectables and beautiful scenery to find. The hand crafted environment is a real joy to behold.

Overall, the game is good as long as you don't compare the automation to Factorio and I doubt they'll ever approach the same level of complex production pipelines. I don't like the pacing for setting up automation but base construction in 3d is satisfying. Exploration is fun, rewarding, and does a good job of alleviating the crafting shortcomings.

ninjewtsu posted:

i had to build a stupid amount of power generation to automate filling up the space elevator with its cargo. it's really dumb that i'm having to handfeed 12 power generators, that seems like the task that should be your introduction to heavy automation, but the way pre-coal power works heavy automation is heavily punished (either you spend your entire time filling up your power plants until the task is complete, or your entire base shuts off!), and filling up the space elevator's cargo is what unlocks automated power!

I automated t3 as well but I only needed 5 generators. The game does quite a bit to alleviate the manual aspect of feeding your generators but it's still a manual process in a game about automation. It feels backwards when you compare it to Factorio where automating power generations is always the first thing you do.

Carecat posted:

It's one map, 30 km2 (or 5.4 km x 5.4 km).

The real question is how much concrete you need to produce in order to pave the entire map.

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Drone_Fragger posted:

Honestly I don't know why biomass doesn't let you feed it from a chest or something, having to do that by hand is obnoxious. On the other hand, it does get obsoleted almost entirely and instantly by coal once coal becomes available so uh. Not sure.

We need to come up with a strategy to rush to tier 3 and coal automation. You can probably get away with just using the power generators in the hub and 3 factories. You need a ton of copper wire, iron plates, and iron rods. From there you just need to hand craft a bunch of screws, rotors, and reinforced plates.

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 10, 2019

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slickdrac posted:

Shift click works. Ctrl Click does nothing.

It's Ctrl click and drag. You drag one stack to the desired container and it moves all stacks of the same type.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

totalnewbie posted:

It wouldn't be as bad with blueprints. I would love something like what cities skylines had, where you could package pre-built packages of stuff into one item and plop it down AND share it on the mod workshop.

Many people play Factorio that way where they just stamp down a bunch of blueprints and they don't really play the game. I think I would rather see personal blueprints where you design something modular and then just copy it a dozen times.