Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The lookout towers or whatever they're called actually help a ton when building, particularly when building on a large foundation.

The very early game is a weak point, in my opinion, but I think the hand crafting system they have now beats the pants off the prior versions: 4 second craft times, then each click does one thwack of the hammer. The latter was a button mash fest. I came up with various ways to drum on my LMB while most people just used an autoclicker.

Given the way belts are point to point rather than having the ability to have inserts for picking stuff off, the logistics of splitting belts is also too deep. For quite a while (unless you already know what you're doing and rush it), you will have one miner feed one smelter feed one storage feed one constructor. Repeat for each early resource type. You can't automate both plates and rods until either logistics or if you have two iron nodes.

The power pole mini game is also a bit annoying, but once you get the hang of it it becomes a non issue (but still a little annoying).

Unfortunately, T4, which is not accessible for the weekenders, is when things start to really take off. That's when you get access to coal/coal power which is the first time you can stop caring about / having to manually feed your generators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Tamba posted:

Coal is Tier 3, it's in the alpha.

Oh, it is? I wonder if they moved it or I'm misremembering.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Picer posted:

Do i understand this correctly, that you're hosed and have to wait for the 19th if you didn't already sign up for the alpha?

I'm not sure I'd really describe it as "hosed", but yes, if you did not previously sign up for the alpha, early access starts on the 19th

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

FYI If you have a full alpha friend, they can load their T4+ saves in the weekend alpha client and you can join. Oops.

E: Unfortunately all my prior saves have overlapping coal power plants.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Have a tiered system of local poles (can feed 3 machines) and distribution poles (can feed 1-3 local poles depending on your grid)

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

ninjewtsu posted:

the power generaiton progression kinda irks me. like, i get why they don't give you coal sooner, they want to force you to go our and explore and their primary mechanism for that in the early game is making you gather leaves and wood. by t2 or so though, they should really give you a biomass generator that has an input, having to refill each generator by hand is tedious and really, really limits the amount of automation you can do. it's really weird how long the "hand feed the generators" stage lasts! (it's basically the entire alpha)

I'd probably consider T3 to be the end of "early game". I do agree that a lot of the early game is not conducive to automation and hand crafting being so much faster than early automation confuses the subject further. Once you unlock coal and mk2 belts, that's when you really enter what feels like "mid game" where you will probably build a whole new factory area with your newfound power capacity and belts that are fast enough to actually assemble things that require screws as an input.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Phobeste posted:

After exploring early on I found a hard drive and ran into the thing where after you research it if you try to claim its reward you just CTD so that kinda got the research table stuck for me.

Im also a bit unsure what to do with interior spaces, buildings are like three wall segments tall and conveyors don't rise too fast so it's hard to get vertical as much as things like the walkways and jump pads kind of make me think I should be. Also give me a perpendicular conveyor wall with brackets for two conveyors tia

stackable conveyor poles and spirals are great for going between floors.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If you already have 15 different launchers/storefronts installed, is one more really a problem? It seems like you've already gotten over having to have multiple launchers, so I guess I don't get why this is the straw that breaks your camel's back.

E: Particularly when Epic is trying to shift more money towards the developers rather than keeping a massive chunk of revenue.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

RVWinkle posted:

The real question is how much concrete you need to produce in order to pave the entire map.

If it is indeed 5,400m x 5,400m, then you need 2,733,750 concrete.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

parabolic posted:

I like this game, but
  • personally I've had way more break-in attempts and ridiculous numbers of emails about account security - vs none for Steam, uPlay, or Origin
  • can't play your games in offline mode
  • no community reviews (which I know can be manipulated, but also give at least some sense of the current quality of the game, especially with early access titles)
  • poor social features, especially compared to Steam
  • very buggy download management
  • no achievements, if you were one to care about that
  • Epic's account and fraud management is seriously flawed - multiple reports of people's accounts getting hacked and used to purchase currency, with no reply from customer service and a complete account ban on chargeback
  • may or may not be feeding your data to massive investor Tencent

I can see where Coffee Stain is coming from, and I still might buy the game, but it's not like Epic is really offering anything on par with the other major launchers.

Those are good reasons. It being the 9th storefront/launcher on your computer isn't a particularly good one, though.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Carecat posted:

Two things not on that list, no cloud saves and without the Steamworks networking features this game is very fussy about NATs for multiplayer. I don't think their 4 player Steam game Deep Rock Galactic uses dedicated servers but it works without issue, this is a real bitch.

Unfortunately it's the only place to get it for a year, same for Hades.

DRG is published by CS, but a different developer.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

ninjewtsu posted:

I got pretty annoyed that I can't have a belt traverse the space above a splitter/merger

You can, but you need to go either two or three clicks up with the conveyor poles and have one placed on each side so that it's level over the top of it. They really need something to show you collision boxes for placement.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Magus42 posted:

I don't. I will ignore most games if they require something other than Steam.

Okay, this post was not directed at you, then. It was directed at the guy that listed off about 6 (non-exaggerated) different launchers/storefronts, and complained that installing Epic was just Too Many.

Magus42 posted:

I would pay more to have the game on Steam. Instead I have to wait a year :(

And that's fine. I'm pretty sure many more people would be up in arms if it was $30 on Epic and $45 on Steam, and so it doesn't really change the situation much. I'm sure there are a lot of people in your shoes, though.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The contractual exclusivity will end whenever, but that doesn't mean they will bring it to Steam. They were granted funding in exchange for the exclusivity, but they also get the larger share of sales. They have been explicitly non-committal about it returning to Steam after the exclusive period.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

ninjewtsu posted:

Well, your save at least transfers, I believe

They transferred between the two alpha versions, so I'm sure they will

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Speedball posted:

The game definitely needs a sorter of some kind, yeah, so I can just dump all my poo poo into one container, have it spread throughout the facility and get processed.

This exists.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

JuffoWup posted:

Where? Tier 6? Or are the splitters self aware of item needs per split belt?

I'm not sure what the trigger was, I was at work while my friends played, but in our shared game there is a smart splitter already unlocked and buildable, and we can research in tier 6 a programmable splitter.

E: I think they came from researching supercomputers?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Eiba posted:

Researching what now? I've reached every base technology, I thought. Was the tech unlocked by scanning something?

Like I said, I'm not sure what the trigger for unlocking it was. I think someone said they scanned a supercomputer in the MAM.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I tried a tower approach earlier in the alpha when the top tier was steel. I had a 1x2-1x4 (can't remember exactly) section of floor missing and had a spiral of belts (either 2 sets of 3 or 2 sets of 4, also can't remember) that went between floors. This was a terrible idea as it made a central mess where everything was trying to go in and out from. Also, at the time there was a bug that only allowed placing walls in one specific cardinal direction on the foundation.

If I did it again, I could make it better, but there were definitely flaws in the plan. I think multiple smaller vertical runs of belts would be better. With parallel and perpendicular conveyor mounts for walls now, there are probably some sweet designs where the conveyor inclines are on the outside of the building or in a separate access space and they enter/exit through conveyor windows.

E: By top tier as steel, I mean that you'd unlock steel and that was basically the end of it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

conveyor elevators are on the roadmap

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Speedball posted:

Yup, supposedly later this very month. Not sure how they'll be implemented but I am looking forward to it.

I'm hoping it's implemented as a height adjustable or stackable structure that has a vertical loop, with an input and output on the top and bottom so that you can build it and use it to both convey items up and down simultaneously.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

A rooftop solar farm would be pretty rad.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The game doesn't do enough to encourage early automation. There's the biomass burners that you can't automate. Logistics comes way too late (it works in Factorio because you can insert/extract from a belt with inserters to service multiple machines). Your belts are a bottleneck for a while on some products (screws, pure nodes). If you do automate and scale beyond simple setups, you will be constantly feeding your bank of 5 biomass burners.

I don't think it's actively discouraging early automation, but Fuzzy Mammal is right that if you setup basic crafting then just hand crafting most of the products is super easy (if not boring).

Basically, the automation game doesn't start until coal, and that is a bit silly.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

bbcisdabomb posted:

The whole biomass burner problem could be alleviated by moving coal to Tier 2. Tier 3 seems pretty far along for something so essential as automatable power when T2 has jump pads.

I would be happy with them just having an input. leaves to mass to fuel can be automated, though not the collection. having auto fueled generators goes a long way. once you get the chainsaw biomass collection is a non-issue

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Dr. Stab posted:

They can take an unlimited number of filter conditions. It's honestly not super useful for anything I've thought of.

Like, with your thing, where you'd have a belt of unsorted inputs and then want to filter out each kind of item and put it on its own belt, you'd only need one filter condition per splitter.

The thing I'd really want to make something like that is a priority merger. Let me greedily take from the sorter belt input to minimize the chance that things get backed up in the sorting system. Right now you can sort of emulate that by taking an arbitrary number of splitters/mergers in order to make it prefer one input over another, but that's big and bulky and requires a lot of clicks to place.

If you have N item types on a belt to sort, you can use the smart splitter to pick off 2 at each splitter. With a programmable splitter you can sort hierarchically rather than serially. Ores to the left, Ingots to the right, secondary sorts on each of those, plus everything further down the main sorting trunk.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Cojawfee posted:

I got excited about smart splitters because I figured I'd be able to use them to feed a bunch of constructors and whatever. Turns out it will only output a filtered item out of one output, even if two of them are set to output it. And if that output gets blocked, it just shuts down instead of sending the extras out the "any" output. That's not very smart and it makes the smart splitter almost useless. Also, the rifle kind of sucks. The ammo is expensive in terms of effort of creating it, and it seems like it's worse than the rebar gun.

Sounds like you need a Programmable Splitter.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The lack of dedicated servers is killing this for me.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Dedicated servers or bust. I can get by without mods, but having to wait for a friend to log on and be bound by his schedule to play a shared world is bogus.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Update 3 is great but I need a dedicated server. Maybe that will show up with steam in March.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

It's not out til the 11th. I mean "update 3 coming out is great". I thought they separated dedicated servers from the update.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Also, they should fix priority splitting. That being broken with the addition of the coupon machine is miserable.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

My weapon of choice is the nobelisk detonator.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah I was all excited to try out the rifle once I unlocked it and for all those reasons it's really crappy. To boot there's not much feedback to even tell if my hits are landing and it takes tonnes of shots to kill things. I mean, having it be good would really unbalance the game but it's a looot of effort for a very meh outcome.

Given there's a beacon in them, you'd think they'd be tracker rounds or something.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The only modding that would be needed would be Thanos.exe, which wipes out half of everything. The rest you described would be user enforced I would imagine. It seems like it could be good for some laughs.

E: this is a hypothetical Thanos.exe

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, science happened, and lessons have been learned. We had previously discovered the factory cart does not inflict fall damage (except in some cases where it ejects you from the cart). This can be used to navigate very large drops. We further discovered tonight that a nobelisk placed on the back of the cart will propel the cart if detonated while airborne. This led to an escalating series of experiments involving larger and larger numbers of nobelisks. We stopped at 20 because it got late.

When used in conjunction with a quarter pipe foundation for optimal alignment, hilarity ensues. The initial attempt that launched the pilot over a river due south and into the side of a cliff (survived). The second attempt launched the pilot substantially east of the previous landing, about twice the distance (survived). The third attempt was a near vertical launch, causing the pilot to proclaim "I can see the whole island from here!". This attempt further doubled the distance in a due east direction (pilot deceased). The final attempt launched the pilot due north, with the cart arcing backwards from the launch ramp. About 75% the distance of the third attempt, with a splashdown far off the north coast of the island.

Highlighted point is launch site, with the various landing points around it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Joda posted:

You can change directions in the tube, so it'll work for round 1, not round 2

Not if you are a guest in multiplayer.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

KillHour posted:

That's the weirdest goddamn limitation.

You also can't drive a train if the host isn't nearby.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Bring beacons when you explore. If you can't open a wreck, place a beacon and name it with the required materials so you can take a trip to collect a bunch of drives later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Bedurndurn posted:

How's multiplayer working for you guys?

I've got it on Epic, my friend bought it on steam and was hosting the game. We're only ever in sync as players for maybe the first minute or so; beyond that and we'll see each other run off, never to return. Wildlife is fine for him as the host, but is either invisible and able to murder me or will stand in place and let me zap it to death with my stick.

Building stuff seems to work out okay thankfully. Other than a weird bug where I can't build stackable conveyor poles on top of each other nine times out of ten, buildings and even construction ghosts work for both of us.

They're working on a big multiplayer overhaul as a part of dedicated servers because of all these problems. Those aren't really crossplay issues, just normal multiplayer glitching.