Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
They've said from the beginning the map(s) will not be procedural. Unlikely that a mod could add that in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Joda posted:

All I ever really want in these types of games is programmable logic and communication for logistics parts, so I can make my fully automated bus that just has to carry what is needed for production at any given moment and optimise the poo poo out of my compartmentalised factory. Don't see it on the road map, so I guess if it comes it'll be long after I burnt myself out on this game like with Factorio :(.

Yeah I want this for trucks. If the dumping station is full don't keep looking and wasting fuel!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Not like fuel is a limited resource but still.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I love that the sugar cube can destroy small trees but a truck gets stopped in its tracks by them.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Taffer posted:

Speaking of calculators, I found this one and it is awesome and by far the best that I've seen:

https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/satisfactory-calculator/calc.html

Shows everything in a very visible flow graph and lets you put in any alternate recipes really simply. Shows the number of assemblers etc every step will need, even how many conveyor belts of your selected tier will be needed at every step. Also includes overclocks and power usage.

I was hoping he'd modify his factorio calculator for this. Glad he did! The green.dev one has gotten better but I'm not a huge fan of the UX on it.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

Alternatively, make most veins average with a few rich ones, and let them drop in quality over time until all tapped deposits are poor. This encourages constant exploration and exploitation to maintain throughput and increases the value of efficiency upgrades in the late game.

I like the idea of fewer pure nodes. Have those never degrade but normal and impure degrade at different rates.

And then sandbox mode with no degrading.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

this is true in factorio too, yet for some reason it's still way smarter to use trains in that game. i'd love to know how the differences in game design have made trains the obvious long distance transport option in that game, yet trucks are something that satisfactory players don't see the need for.

For one thing the distances in factorio can be much greater. And then resources are also not infinite, smacking down rail lines is significantly faster and cheaper than blue belt lines would be.

Neither of those problems with belts exist in satisfactory.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Evilreaver posted:

Hunting hard drives sucks if you're seeking a particular recipe since you cant ping for them or use the sensor thingie. Exploring organically is decent fun, especially if you got exolegs, but hunting is a chore, and route-finding for trucks sucks too since there are cliffs and walls everywhere. There are quite a few pathes/nodes that require ugly ramps be built to access (bridges can be made pretty decent looking at least)

You can save scum the hdds, the result of the analysis picks the recipe at random when you open it.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
You're (probably) in luck since mods are on the roadmap.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

nielsm posted:

I'm guessing build concrete blocks over it.

It frustrates me that vehicles bounce around when crossing over foundation borders. I hope they either fix that or add proper paving that doesn't have the issue.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I have them bounce around when passing over the edges between two foundations all the time while driving on them. I make any roads at least two wide because of it.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Jawnycat posted:

I like to make my bridges/roads just one foundation wide, but use catwalks as extensions and guard railings on either side. Makes it look all nice n pretty, which is the most important thing.

Oh, that's a good idea. I need to use catwalks more, I always forget they are there.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Cobbsprite posted:

You can solve that problem by building ramps on the edges that go underground, so it's always a gentle transition.

Not the transition on or off, just driving over a row of foundations.

I fried my PC so I can't take a quick video to show what I mean.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Astroniomix posted:

From what I can tell foundations don't join together perfectly which is why the game sometimes throws a fit about you trying to build on the spot 2 of them meet, and also pairs nicely with the truck's tendency to fire itself into space if it hits a piece of geometry wrong.

Yeah, I'm hoping they smooth out that geometry. It's absurd that I can't place conveyors in between two foundations, but I can put a pole and then attach the conveyor to that.

I just found out I did not fry my gaming rig, which is very exciting. I just have to reapply thermal paste and I can finally get back into my game :toot:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

quote:

Fixed that trying to place a Conveyor Belt with a Pole on the seam between two foundations caused a “Floor is too steep” warning (bye bye, sweet meme)

Best part of the release.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
No it's only or hand slot items. Food, blades, and the chain saw.

The mid slot is still just one item.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
No, it's a quick switch on the main hand. Scroll wheel to change items from the filled slots

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
The new elevators are nice, but they are too wide to use with the 3-conveyor walls. Fortunately they go really high, and you can now easily run up two belts in a single foundation space.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

They come with quartz, which you unlock by mining quartz.

You need to manually click on the quartz node to get it, even if you've already mined it before the patch.

Yup, the map comes for free after you put quartz in the MAM. The radar is a little further past that, but in the same Quartz "tree".

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Freaksaus posted:

Speaking of programmable splitters, has anyone tried them yet? I saw that they now only require motors and not turbomotors, but I haven't had a chance to try them yet, how are they different from smart splitters?

You can apply multiple filters to each output. That's the only difference, I think.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I like having a single spot I can dump inventory trash and have it sorted into storage. That's the only use case I've found for smart splitters.

I have seen them used to make more compact factories, but it's not always easy to do.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Speedball posted:

In the experimental save, two quartz veins appeared like right beneath my base and I don't remember those being there before, haha. Convenient.

Northern-middle part of the map, just east of the desert? I don't remember seeing those before, either, but they were convenient pure nodes!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Atoramos posted:

Two pure nodes in a sort of cave? Those have been around, they're the nodes I beelined for after updating.

I'm enjoying the patch but man it seems to have stability issues. Lots of hitching and my friend keeps crashing.

Nope, the new ones are not in a cave. They are across the river over there, raised up a bit.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
The first piece placed is always the input, so to go down you have to start at the top.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Literally Kermit posted:

Actually now they snap to conveyor walls! You can run em up on the outside and save the floor space. And you can fit three lifts side by side on the three holed walls, making those walls slightly more usable when you lead stacked conveyor belts to and from them

So glad they fixed this.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
No

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
There is a belt stacking structure in logistics. Literally for what you're doing.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Or build ramps up the cliff face directly next to the coal.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

do trains still cause a resource leak?

They fixed a leak with particles related to trains. I haven't noticed any slow down from my (small) train network, but I have nothing to compare it to having not used trains before that fix went in.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Smart splitters?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
They added grouping and a "show only what I can make" to the crafting window as well.

Also a pop-up telling you to take a break after some amount of time in game, heh.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I watched his train video, that was fun. His base is definitely a feat of engineering.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Bug Squash posted:

Well fine, but still... why? I don't like to leave things running while I'm away, and it's so pointless not to have it.

It's an always online game for whatever reason. I tried loading my game when I didn't have an internet connection and ended up as a new player with no items. Joined once I got connection back and I was back where I should have been.

Just save and quit if you want to pause, but it doesn't really matter in the end.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I place a flat foundation, then ramp on that, then a flat attached to that, then a ramp on that, repeat. I usually just leave the flats in, takes too long to go remove them from anything big.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Lexorin posted:

Is this just stacking them or something else?

The most recent experimental patch:

quote:

Splitters and Mergers now snap onto Conveyor end points and directly onto Conveyor Poles as well

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

bbcisdabomb posted:

I hate how hard it is to get tracks to go straight in a direction. My tracks sort of meander around in a shallow s-bend everywhere and while it doesn't seem to be causing any problems it's still annoying.

Pave the world and build on that, tracks snap to foundations.

I've never gotten a straight rail segment otherwise.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I think with update three it would easily be faster to make the factory larger. Hand crafting is quite a bit slower and you need an assembler to craft the tier bits now.

Take the wait tine to go hunt hard drives, them you'll have better recipes and the tier will be done.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

skeleton warrior posted:

Like I said, it was a while ago, way early access, and I remember having to get a bunch of different items for labs to run which meant putting conveyors to circle them so that when they were ready to take something off of a conveyor it was there was an item available, and it might be one of a couple of different items, so you had to have both of them available.

I could have had the game explained to me badly, though, this was before there was any effective tutorial. Or my friends who insisted I play co-op with them just made me skip it; like I said, it was years ago.

edit: I just checked and it was whatever build was out in January of '18

edit2: Thanks for the replies - it definitely sounds like this is worth trying out. Also, that I should re-check out Factorio as either I learned it very badly or they've made huge strides in making it easier

A single belt for labs like this is possible with circuitry, it's called a sushi belt. Just feeding items at will onto a belt generally won't work out if your mixing in many items.

There are other approaches, with undergrounds and long inserters, that don't require the sushi approach and are much easier to figure out.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

I noticed that the various machines have little extendable footles that let them deal with a surprising amount of variation in terrain height within their footprint. I would absolutely love some sort of "building alignment framework" that behaves like a foundation in terms of lining up your buildings, but is actually invisible (or just a very visually unobtrusive framework of some kind) and just lets the footles extend a bit more so the buildings are sitting directly on the ground, but level as if they were all on the same foundation.

There is one of these frameworks! I forget how it works, so if someone else doesn't chime in I'll install it and figure it out again.

But from what I recall the alignment indicators that show up when placing aligned on platforms also works without the platforms, and there's a way to lock it into the alignment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I find the building part to be very zen. A real sense of accomplishment after I get something built.