Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
My god, this game is addictive. I have not been this "zoned in" to a game since I played Minecraft back in Alpha. I missed out on Factorio somehow so I also picked it up for when I've just got my laptop and it scratches that exact same itch.

There's just something incredibly satisfying about setting up a complex production line and watching it work, and then being able to walk up to each machine to check its production stats.

On that note, I am having load balancing issues coming out of production lines. I have never seen a better metaphor for network bandwidth management before the days of fast connections than trying to balance the production of screws when the source is not a saturated Industrial Storage unit. For some reason the storage unit does not work like a splitter when empty and will instead saturate one of its outbound nodes before alternating to the second.

I have been trying to break up my production so that I pool identical resources into Industrial Storage. From there my intention was to have a buffer in case the previous line fails to saturate current demand. My trouble comes from the fact that splitters end up ruining things downline. From my storage, the first few machines get saturated, but the 3rd and 4th barely make Just In Time demand.

Any advice here, or do I really have to set up my lines such that each machine needs a direct feed from the prior resource?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

this a really good tool. Granted it suffers from being a pain in the dick to use sometimes.

Thanks so much for this! It’s exactly what I was looking for RE output dispersion.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

KillHour posted:

I keep foundations to a minimum because they're ugly and I like the challenge of making things fit the environment. :colbert:

Do you build multi floor structures, or just spread? I just left my first game at the beginning plastic stage because, though my plant was impressive, my plan to build foundries on the first floor, and build up from there quickly turned into a spaghetti mess that I could barely navigate, let along optimize without stripping out the full floors.

I started Game 2 last night and this time and am going to build in the central valley of the first map, with minimal vertical leveling. Hopefully by the time I get to the 3rd game I'll be better prepared to organize a plant.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

porksmash posted:

Why the hell does the chainsaw only accept Biofuel

When was the last time you shoved leaves into a fuel take and it started working? I'll buy that the biomass burners will consume anything, but consume fuels more efficiently.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

In the late game, is there a piece that lets you output select item types? For example a belt with a splitter that would loop, and only output a specified resource out a specified outlet.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

necrotic posted:

Smart splitters?

Just looked it up and that's exactly it.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Man, redoing a factory for the 5th time is starting to get a little tedious. My problem is that I have been fully automating all Tier Goal production, even though the quantities needed are really pretty low.

I think for future games I'll run ad-hoc production lines instead of trying to plan for factory expansion and the MK5 belts. The lengths you have to go through to ensure solid throughput on earlier belts are both fun to figure out and tedious to rip out and replace.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

It's not that I didn't know there were apps out there to simulate mouse input(Christ, I use Thurstmaster TARGET to launch Elite Dangerous), but something about leaning your phone against the keyboard makes "automating" the early stuff extra easy.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

The only time you really need to pause / exit is in the first hours of the game. Once you get a stable fuel source idling only benefits you, since you should be filling up resource buffers.

I’ve barely explored in my game, just the minimum needed to create an oil pipeline from the east of the first map, and I’ve yet to see a mob around my base aside from the few that spawn around you.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Jamsque posted:

The game engine is structured so even singleplayer is client-server structured.

It's why (somewhat annoylingly, early on,) the game prevents you from pausing so you can prevent your biomass genies from going dry.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

I think the 8x8x1's also cost 6 concrete? I don't care about enforcing gravity. I build supports and walls and pave the world in layers because I like it aesthetically and I don't care if other people play "wrong" by minecraft easymode rules.

All platforms have the same cost, which is a little silly, but I also build "structural supports" via walls and walled staircases. To support elevation structures I have out in the world, I also use the 6x6x6 blocks. Its super cheap to build a tower of them.

Another thing I like to do, that bends the rules a bit, is ceiling mount my mergers and splitters by building a tower of them and only keeping the topmost layers. My standard floor is 3 wall tiles high, and using this technique you can save a lot of floor spaghetti.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I recently did a restart to try a different map, and it probably took me 2.5 hours to reach coal, if that. Your early factory is so useless later in the game, that its not worth planning out anything more than a level plain of decent size to get you to coal power.

Also, don't be afraid to use the "phone on spacebar" crafting technique. There will be plenty of time to build out ridiculous contraptions later, and without fast belts it's just not worth it.

Also, that said, I automated every aspect of my second game and had no regrets. Manual crafting in a game like this does feel like "cheating".

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Freaksaus posted:

The choice you get at the start is not for a different map, it's just the the starting location. There is only 1 map (It's pretty huge though).

I'm astounded that I missed this. I've started over 3 times!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

If I start a game in Experimental will I be able to transfer it to Mainline once this update is officially released?

Edit: Nevermind. It looks like both use the same directory.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 14, 2020

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I’m just getting back into the game after update 3. The new space elevator upgrade items are really interesting. I like that you're not just sending up items that you’ve already made in bulk. It at least requires a temp supply chain.

When did they introduce middle click to copy in build mode? Also, once you’ve multi-selected items for deconstruction is there a way to remove a single item(think ctrl click in excel)?

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 16, 2020

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Bobulus posted:

Urgh. My factory went over the energy cap with this update (probably everything turning back on because of the increased stack sizes), and I had absolutely no luck getting it started again. Didn't help that my last save was half-a-map away from any of my nuclear power setup.

I'm going to have to go back to Early Access and cut the majority of my power lines or something.

Maybe I should just start from scratch...

I think there are issues with this build. I popped my power once as well after the update and had no luck getting it to restart with any load. If I isolate the generators I can get it started, but the second I cut back on 300 MW from a 1500MW pool it just cuts off again.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Wonder if charging a battery or two off grid and then connecting it might get you through whatever is busting the breaker.

I added a series of 8, though I didn't let them charge for long. Still, demand never exceeded 300 out of 1500 according to the graph.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I think there are issues with this build. I popped my power once as well after the update and had no luck getting it to restart with any load. If I isolate the generators I can get it started, but the second I cut back on 300 MW from a 1500MW pool it just cuts off again.

Just a heads up, they seem to have fixed this. I loaded up the same factory as yesterday, cut the power, then re-added it and everything fired up as expected.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Has Coffee Stain commented on if conveyer belts clipping through each other at 90 degrees is intended behaviour? I'm getting to a larger sized factory and the idea of routing a 4 belt by 4 belt passthrough when I can just clip is a nighmare.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 26, 2021

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Have they said any changes are coming before release to the main branch? Getting antsy about playing with lights!

They just did a rebalance of aluminium last week. I think that they are targeting the 16th for release so there shouldn't be anything significant.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

e:nm

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Well poo poo, I just watched one of the latest dev videos, and the area where I built my base, along the north central coast, is due for a massive revamp before 1.0. I had planned to use this build to complete the game, but now I’m thinking it’s time for a fresh start.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I snipped out the planned map changes from one of the recent Update 5 videos.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

chestnut santabag posted:

They've mentioned that they're looking into DLSS but it isn't a priority and may just not be implemented at all as the CPU is the main constraint for this game and DLSS doesn't really help with that.

Jace mentioned on one of the recent videos that the new version of UE supports it, but they don’t have a test lab, presumably with RTX cards. He also mentioned that most people with a system that supports RTX are already CPU bound, so it may never be turned on for the public.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

They’re also changing the truck stop building so you’ll have at least partially re-work it in a month anyway.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

That collision at the end was completely unexpected! I thought it would just deadlock

I’m officially hyped

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Disappointing Pie posted:

https://youtu.be/kq_IklMd0Mc

The first 90 seconds of this video is me every time.

Am I the only one that just builds out capacity, assuming you will backfill? When I'm in the unlock portion of the game, efficiency just seems like a way to make sure that you will have to refactor multiple times as new stuff unlocks.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Satisfactory Map was has been a godsend this save. For the first time, I had a loot crate spawn below the map geometry after a fall death. Normally it would have been nothing to just let it go, but I was on the way to deliver the last 200 Smart Plating for T3/T4 unlock.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

is it possible to use the save file editor to unlock coal power before doing anything?

Yes, you have all sorts of options! you can also go the other direction if you want to replay some parts.

Edit: that's not what I did though. I just bumped the loot crate up a few meters.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 9, 2021

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

New Update 5 Video!

Fine rotation on foundations!
Snap to inputs!
Walkways snap to platforms on production buildings!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Wyld Karde posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rumqu_lyapg

Update 5 launch stream is live. No sign of golf yet.

It's just about 3 hours from the time of this post till release.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Have they fixed the alignment bug yet? I want to dive in, but I’m not abou to start the update all about clean builds only to place a bunch of stuff slightly off.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I was thrilled to see that. So many times I've got 30+ items to be culled and then tag a needed manufacturer by accident.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

priznat posted:

Also on my energy graph the blue line is what is required if everything powers up right? Better add some capacity!!

You've got it! The blue line is the max consumption for that power network.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Satisfactory just went live on YouTube with a stream titled "The Satisfactory Roadmap to 1.0"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTxziQw8fJQ&t=52s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

It didn't sound that way based on what I heard. He specficially mentiones that they had hoped to patch more, but it would have to wait.