Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How "complete" is this so far by Early Access standards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I finally started sinking my teeth into this two days ago. While my factory is very obviously in extremely early stages, and probably fraught with inefficiencies and wasteful design, I feel it has already served its true purpose in granting me this beautiful, stupid golf cart

https://i.imgur.com/GgzLYZY.gifv

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just got tractors and steel unlocked. Are tractors reliable for transporting ore, or should I hang tight for trains?

oh god i do not have enough coal and the amount of iron ore I need now is loving astonishing

Other news, I was trying to make jump pad networks earlier but part of me just wants to rely on the golfcart until I get to hypertubes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

Tractors are perfectly good for hauling ore at the volumes and distances you need in tier 3. Once you've managed to record the full circuit they're perfectly reliable, as they are abstracted out when they're not near you.

Oh good, I'd wondered how their pathing was handled. Part of me worried about them hitting a random fuckin tree or firespitter or something and getting completely derailed forever.

I just need to decide how to organize my buildings now - where to put smelting vs manufacturing, whether to continue with the Main Bus thing I've got going borrowed from Factorio, that sort of thing.

I assume I get an in-game map at some point? I have no idea how big this world is (trying to see how far I can get without wiki'ing everything)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I chose to bus because it meant I don't have to be so precise with input/output ratios. Without the bus, any left-over iron ore (or whatever input) just sits there backed up on its conveyor with nowhere to go. With it, the ratios problem goes away and becomes an Add More problem instead.

not enough reinforced plates? just Add More depots to construct screws and assemble plates. Now I don't have enough iron plates but I can Add More constructors, etc. all the way back to the ore mines.

(Point taken about item density re: transportation, though. That's a solid counter-argument.)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 1, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ok as pretty as the result is I've decided I hate trying to expand this stupid bus anymore :mad:

Working on my steel foundry; I found another site of coal, iron and limestone to build it on. Foundries are tapped out at making 240 steel ingots a minute. I know I need a shitload of bars for mk3 logistics; how much of the steel pipes and encased bars am I gonna need: few enough to just make a few alongside the steel bars, or enough that I want separate sites?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lots and lots of stators coming my way soon, got it. I should probably bumrush the rest of the elevator parts to unlock tiers 5 and 6, while I'm at it; I have no more milestones to get at the HUB and I'm still dinking around with steel foundries

I want to run three tractors between my steel foundry and my main line; if they're all on the same route will they destroy each other eventually or does the game take care of that somehow?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Generally when I unlock a new tier I do the bare minimum to get the new outputs up and running, shunt them into a container, and then go out looking for hard drives to get recipes applicable to the new production. Building up large without alt recipes is rarely worth it.

Also another tip: if you're exploring for a bunch of drives at once don't forget to drop a mam and kick off research while away from the base.

I'll be honest I've barely explored at all. Only found one hard drive and got the screws-from-ingots recipe which I haven't even implemented yet :eng99:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Naylenas posted:

Pave the route and stack multiple tracks, with an origin and destination depot for each level

Now we're on to a project I can sink my teeth into! Too bad you can't make curved roads with foundations except on a grand scale :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So are trains in this going to infuriate for me if I actually (gasp!) understand how signaling in Factorio worked, then? :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

part of me is happy about that; another part is sad about no spectacular cargo train collisions. something something contrasts etc

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Ok, then I guess you have to make each floor taller than 4 meters.

Every building floor I've made has had to be three walls (12m) high anyways. drat constructors are way bigger than they look :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Trying to get tractors or trucks autopiloting 2.5km from my hub area to my oil refinery and back with plastic & rubber is proving to be a fool's errand. even out of sight these things get stuck so easily, and I'm not even counting running out of fuel due to power losses here

automating circuit boards etc is gonna be a loving nightmare until I can get trains, huh :cripes:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glagha posted:

I had a truck run out of fuel when I wasn't around in multiplayer and when I refueled it, it promptly drove forward, took a hard right, and threw itself off the bridge I built for it.

When I went to go check on it and fix the issue the truck was just at the next stop like nothing had ever happened. Trucks are magical, just set them up and they work.

It's the running out of fuel part that chaps my arse, personally - first time because I wasn't sinking excess side-outputs and production stopped do the truck station ran dry; second time because i ran out of power and same thing while I spent 20 minutes expanding capacity

Except for short routes just on the edge of bothering with a belt, I'm gonna give up on vehicle logistics until I get trains unlocked because a) I can produce rubber products on-site with nearish coal and iron nodes; and b) because I finished researching jetpacks so I could

LifeSunDeath posted:

seriously do the hyper tube rail gun to travel back and forth, it's worth it.

This is 100% correct, holy crap :stare: no other mode of travel is remotely worth the time anymore. Just yeet myself within 45 degrees of my destination and my magical air control powers plus jetpack gets me anywhere in a blink while I sip my coffee. I love this drat game :allears:

And bonus, now I know how to use tubes as scaffolding while building tall! :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

HAH! I really hope they don't take it out of the game, it's just enough of a pain in the rear end to set up and requires enough power that you should be rewarded for doing it. Now I'm looking forward to being able to free rotate objects on foundations so I can aim the thing better.

Entirely agreed. That truck fuel problem from power loss I alluded to above? Guess why I lost power :v: Pretty clear sign from above what I should be doing, that sort of thing

And yeah being limited to 90 degree snap is limiting sometimes - it should be the default for sure, but toggleable 45 degree (30?15?10?) snap would be great. (As would roads better than Foundations. Tractors crossing the landscape with goods is cool, they're just a pain in the rear end, and they deserve proper roads dammit)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 9, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

Oh drat imagine rad freeways with train lines running in the middle and on/off ramps!

:circlefap:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I like Bentham (MangledPork Gaming on youtube) as far as semiserious content goes - his latest content is all multiplayer streams with the expected banter, though, and hasn't had one for Satisfactory in a month anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcsLb6F8NL4

There's also Let's Game It Out on Youtube, but idk if I'd say he's good per se... top comment stating "I've never seen someone so dedicated to do something so wrong" says it all, more or less

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2X3wlvoShg

(This video is pro-click zone btw because the Yeet Cannon/Hypertube Railgun/whatever you want to call it is a fantastically useful mode of travel once you can survive it)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I finally got heavy modular frames and computers automated just enough to get fuel generators unlocked and one built. Free, free from the tyranny of coalgens and their liquid+solid input :allears:

That said I'm sort of tempted to start over now; I know I could just deke everything and move but I kind of want to see how much better things go with everything I've learned over the past oh my god 100 hours.

That and the south grasslands start sucks butt for getting to oil and quartz, I literally still cannot build even crystal oscillators :negative:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hipster Occultist posted:

Personally, I wouldn't start over. You're going to be throwing out 100 hours of progress, and you'll likely hit a point down the road wherein your factory becomes inefficient/unwieldy yet again. Just embrace the chaos, you can always tear down parts of your factory without having to wipe everything.

Long conveyor belt lines/pipes solve the rest of your issues. You should see the length of some of my secondary crude oil pipe.

Yeah I'm over it now; blame brainworm-y perfectionist urges. :v:

Chaos aside though aaaa belts longer than about 500m are so ugly but trucks suck so much, trains pls come soon :cry:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Chev posted:

I dunno, that sounds like the perfect channel gimmick right there.

add a Kermit face-rig camera and it's even good for streaming

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Drake_263 posted:

:frogc00l: "Okay boys, so if you get interdicted, just remember the Second Tao of Kermit: First, you check your pockets to see if you have any fucks in them. If you do.. make sure to not give them any."

:) "What's the first tao of Kermit?"

:getin: "gently caress it, dumbfires EVERYWHERE."

"Fire more dumbfires? Seems to me we have enough dumbfires around here already! OHHH HO HO HO" :stat: :wal: (apologies to Literally Kermit for banging on about this. But imagine those two curmudgeons as Elite pilots :allears:)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh right this is a satisfactory thread isn't it, here have a gif of me yeeting myself to pick up crystal oscillators instead of conveyoring them

https://i.imgur.com/JyiOvPN.mp4

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I wanted to make nice buildings at first, but I didn't know the game contents (parts, recipes, etc) well enough yet to know in advance what buildings or complexes would look like

I know that better now but I still have no real ideas on the aesthetic front anyways, so Chaos Reigns :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Naylenas posted:

Experimental just added hotbar pages, and it's great

How are they controlled/can you scroll through them? The scrollwheel being on equipment instead of the hotbar annoys the hell out of me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Beats having nothing at all, for sure, but scrolling intra-hotbar would still be nice IMO. Hope the devs expose that keybind

I'm just about done with elevator P3 but I find I'm not too keen on what's currently available after that - looks like just MK5 logistics (I've yet to max a MK4), mk3 miners (see previous), and nukes - and I don't care for solving the Storage Problem. Maybe it's time for that fresh start - or perhaps instead of a new file, I take some supplies on my current file and yeet myself to the opposite end of the map, and start afresh. Maybe with a train connection in case I need to cheat...

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 19, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

Do at least build the aluminium line and get Turbo Motors produced. Even if you don't need them for anything, they're kind of the most complex production challenge at the moment.

Now that you say that I bet turbo motors are great items for the AWESOME sink. I still have blueprints unbought, and of course there's statues and the Golden Nut

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Those gas rocks are a buzz-killing gently caress and should be removable with upgraded explosives

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

zedprime posted:

I wouldn't mind if there were specific slots for the gas mask and radiation suit so you only needed to feed them filters. Take your pick of bladerunners or jetpack, fine, I can most deal with that and there's reasons and tradeoffs for both. Putting on a gas mask is just such pointless busywork I just ignore gassy areas.

saaame. the worst part is when you put on the gas mask, do your thing, head home - say, by yeet cannon - and oh forgot to re-equip my jetpack time to redo the last five minutes :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Playing again and I'm a long way from transit tubes, so: the devs didn't fix the physics and break the Yeet Cannon, did they? :ohdear:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm finding the zipline tool kind of a disappointment, save for helping reduce Foundation Spam for climbing hills early-game :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I rebuilt parts of my initial factories in the sky over other bits for no other reason than to Be More Vertical (i'll make them look physically possible another day :v:)

Purposeless, but it's made the ziphook more useful - and it IS fun, so I'm gonna keep messing with this at least until I get tubes

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 26, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I have just learned that you can turn pipe junctions vertical and i'm screaming

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Shredder posted:

You can also hit R to change the layout of the pipe, makes those vertical runs much cleaner

yeah i'd figured that out beforehand :D my coal plants look sooo much nicer now

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm ad-hoc'ing my way to a hub-and-spoke factory design, with each spoke being a producer of a single item, and the hub being one massive building of storage and distribution logistics. I can't make up my mind about Screws, though, 'cos there's so many of them for every input and they're so widely used.

Specifically I don't know whether I want to produce those from ingredients at each spoke that needs them, or produce them all at one spoke - or if the difference even matters from an efficiency perspective. Any advice?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks y'all

Synastren posted:

I mean, even if you're bussing around iron ingots (or even rods!) it'll be more logistically efficient than screws!
I haven't really settled on my logic for what items to bus (I guess that's effectively what the hub-and-spoke from earlier is, when you get down to it) and what to repeatedly produce on-site, so I just defaulted to "everything from ingots down". Now it seems like "everything from ingots down except anything that's decompressed, like screws & wire", which does make sense.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

extra credit for mixed belts :kheldragar:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

before i burn a not-insignificant amount of bandwidth re-downloading this and switching to experimental, does it seem reasonably stable or is it still in the early Here Be Dragons stage of updates?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Klyith posted:

Single player has been stable, for me at least. Though there were a couple crash bugs they've fixed in patches, I luckily didn't encounter them. MP reportedly is a bit unstable.

However there are lots of pretty annoying bugs at the moment, some of which make factory-building kinda lovely. So I would say you should only update if you have other things to occupy yourself in an existing save. For example, putting signals & fixing collision on a rail network, or re-decorating all your old bases with the new cosmetics.

You should *not* switch to experimental if you plan to start a new world. There's nothing new for the early game. In fact I would say if you plan to start a new world for U5, start it in U4 now and do the first 2 tiers, so you can build cheaper foundations and walls.

seems reasonable. man i'd like that zoop building though

think i might do a desert start, i've never tried that before

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

actually what i really want is the thru-foundation belts n stuff, is that available in mod form? i've never messed with mods in this game (thanks for mentioning SMART, i'll look into it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i feel like i'm more confused trying to read satisfactory-calculator than i should be

how do I use it to say "I've got 120 iron/min right now, how do i max that out making reinforced iron plates"? (i know the answer to that now but it was through stumbling thru maths and eventually finding a cheatsheet)