Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

So after all the peer pressure in the import cool stuff from japan thread I bought an Autozam az-1 meme car, and it has some issues.

to do list as of day 1:

rust :stare:
brakes
tires (because all 4 tires are a different brand)
fuel filter
new battery (as the one thats in the car is oem mazda and is dead) Got a duracel one meant for a snowmobile
clean the seats (still smells like old japanese farts)
clean the carpets ( still smells like old japanese farts)
hook up the front windshield sprayers
new trunk right arm (bent to poo poo)
new leather for shifter and e brake
new fluids
*brake fluid
*oil
*gear box
*radiator
*thermostat
new door dampers (driver side is complete and is using the super strong yaj damper, what a bitch to import)
move pedals up like 3-4 inches some how
have ac converted from r12 to r134a
all new belts
spark plugs
spark plug wires
air filter
new front hood stay up stick

wargames fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
This is the automotive equivalent of :kimchi:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Eyeballing it, that rust in the passenger floorpan doesn't look like it's penetrated. Try cleaning it up with some vinegar or Evaporust and a brush first.

The driver floorpan.. :stare:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Eyeballing it, that rust in the passenger floorpan doesn't look like it's penetrated. Try cleaning it up with some vinegar or Evaporust and a brush first.

The driver floorpan.. :stare:

I have this stuff https://www.amazon.com/Ospho-605-Metal-Treatment/dp/B000C02CDG/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_lp_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XBGEFV0N2TH5J4G73JM9

its phosphoric acid, you can learn about good rust killing methods and why i chose phosphoric acid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi-tK1jwO-k

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I like your floor mounted escape hatch. Have you had a chance to look at the suspension yet?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

I like your floor mounted escape hatch. Have you had a chance to look at the suspension yet?

Just tore out the seats and carpet after spending several hours getting more stuff like a welder. So no idea how the underside looks.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Here is a guide a guy put together in the AZ-1/Cara Facebook group that's really helpful: http://puu.sh/CXD8r/a0f4b4c0a1.pdf

The front floors have these support brackets that you can see that are separate from the actual floors, and you probably have some sort of leak in the front that allows water to drip in hence the sound deadening fabric stuff holding water and rusting the super-thin floor away. I had to use a torch to heat up the bolts and a vice-grip to get them out. POR-15'd them and got new bolts while POR-15'n the floor and using a bit of fiberglass to build the floor across the holes I had.

That driver's side rear seat bracket support thing is something else though goddamn. You can see how it's supposed to look from the passenger side, but that bar that's no longer there is what supports your weight, so that support will need to be rebuilt and welded in place. Should be straight forward, I don't remember and wiring or anything being back there but you'll see soon enough.

Oil filters can be had at any auto parts store, I believe OEM Miata filters from around 1997 are cross-compatible, so plenty of choice off the shelf. Fuel filter is the same, Fram G5237 or equivalent and it is right up top so no reason not to change it, especially if that is the original battery.

If you want OEM-style door struts you will have a kind of difficult time, there are ones you can get from Europe but you have to figure out how to mount them in the body of the car as the threads don't match. You can get OEM-style replacements from Japan but they are reportedly way too strong and will whip the doors open on you. If you don't mind them being weaker than OEM but much stronger than what they are now you can order 8 of these ball studs that thread directly into the current mounting points, then get 4 of these VW Phaeton trunk struts (yes really) and use them to attach to the now-installed studs, and have functional doors that nobody will be able to tell aren't OEM. It's a much easier and cheaper route then the other ways, plus there are no modifications and you can go right back to OEM if you'd like.

Note that if you convert the AC you are going to be putting a bunch more stress on the compressor, you're going to find whatever leaks that might be there much easier and it won't cool as much. There is no way around this as the molecular weight difference between R12 and R134 means this is an inevitability. I'd just get the AC system sealed and fill it with actual R12 and save a bunch of headache, you can still buy actual-real R12 off ebay for around 30-40 bucks a can. I find it personally worth it as it means the AC systems work exactly as designed and have refilled the AC systems on a few of my ~cool JDM rides~ including the AZ-1. This stuff is specifically what I've bought before

For the belts (including the timing) the official procedure is to drop the engine out. Since you seem to be a smaller dude (like me :c00l:) there is ways that people in Japan have changed the timing belt with the engine in the car. The other belts are easy enough to reach so no issues there.

Spark plugs are kind of a PITA and you'll be using that rear hatch in the firewall to order to access them.

Air filter, if you want to stay OEM, must be ordered from Japan. You could also stick on an aftermarket cone filter too, lots of AZs running around with that setup.

No idea about the pedals though.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 10, 2019

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Here is a guide a guy put together in the AZ-1/Cara Facebook group that's really helpful: http://puu.sh/CXD8r/a0f4b4c0a1.pdf

The front floors have these support brackets that you can see that are separate from the actual floors, and you probably have some sort of leak in the front that allows water to drip in hence the sound deadening fabric stuff holding water and rusting the super-thin floor away. I had to use a torch to heat up the bolts and a vice-grip to get them out. POR-15'd them and got new bolts while POR-15'n the floor and using a bit of fiberglass to build the floor across the holes I had.

That driver's side rear seat bracket support thing is something else though goddamn. You can see how it's supposed to look from the passenger side, but that bar that's no longer there is what supports your weight, so that support will need to be rebuilt and welded in place. Should be straight forward, I don't remember and wiring or anything being back there but you'll see soon enough.

Oil filters can be had at any auto parts store, I believe OEM Miata filters from around 1997 are cross-compatible, so plenty of choice off the shelf. Fuel filter is the same, Fram G5237 or equivalent and it is right up top so no reason not to change it, especially if that is the original battery.

If you want OEM-style door struts you will have a kind of difficult time, there are ones you can get from Europe but you have to figure out how to mount them in the body of the car as the threads don't match. You can get OEM-style replacements from Japan but they are reportedly way too strong and will whip the doors open on you. If you don't mind them being weaker than OEM but much stronger than what they are now you can order 8 of these ball studs that thread directly into the current mounting points, then get 4 of these VW Phaeton trunk struts (yes really) and use them to attach to the now-installed studs, and have functional doors that nobody will be able to tell aren't OEM. It's a much easier and cheaper route then the other ways, plus there are no modifications and you can go right back to OEM if you'd like.

Note that if you convert the AC you are going to be putting a bunch more stress on the compressor, you're going to find whatever leaks that might be there much easier and it won't cool as much. There is no way around this as the molecular weight difference between R12 and R134 means this is an inevitability. I'd just get the AC system sealed and fill it with actual R12 and save a bunch of headache, you can still buy actual-real R12 off ebay for around 30-40 bucks a can. I find it personally worth it as it means the AC systems work exactly as designed and have refilled the AC systems on a few of my ~cool JDM rides~ including the AZ-1.

For the belts (including the timing) the official procedure is to drop the engine out. Since you seem to be a smaller dude (like me :c00l:) there is ways that people in Japan have changed the timing belt with the engine in the car. The other belts are easy enough to reach so no issues there.

Spark plugs are kind of a PITA and you'll be using that rear hatch in the firewall to order to access them.

Air filter, if you want to stay OEM, must be ordered from Japan. You could also stick on an aftermarket cone filter too, lots of AZs running around with that setup.

No idea about the pedals though.

Stuff i acquire before getting the az-1

Fuel filter (the fram one because i been in the az-1 facespace group)
brake pads from mu
monster performance rubber bushings for the suspension.

I may stay with r12 depending on if the ac works no idea as i running off the jump pack to get onto the trailer and just pushed it into its new home for the next however many weeks it takes me to learn welding.

belts i may have some else deal with because i would be way more comfortable with the az-1 being on a lift for that.

door dampers the single strip ones are fairly common here but there seems to be third non-oem type
https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search/search?auccat=26318&tab_ex=commerce&ei=utf-8&aq=-1&oq=&sc_i=&exflg=1&p=P100-58-720A&x=0&y=0&fixed=0

here
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j555216504

The pedals are going to be fun to figure out.

QUESTION
what type and gauge of steel sheet should i buy for this horrible attempt at welding?

wargames fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 10, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Is there a makerspace or a DIY auto shop in your area?

The shop I use rents out 2 post lifts for $25/hr on weekdays, including air and hand tools (and plenty of specialty tools in the office that you can sign out). It makes life so much easier vs ramps or jackstands.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

STR posted:

Is there a makerspace or a DIY auto shop in your area?

The shop I use rents out 2 post lifts for $25/hr on weekdays, including air and hand tools (and plenty of specialty tools in the office that you can sign out). It makes life so much easier vs ramps or jackstands.

There are no makerspaces in my town that i know about or can see on the googles, also only see one article about rental lifts from 2011.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Go for 1.2mm sheet for rust repairs. Makes it a bit easier to weld to thin steel (you “arc” against the thick stuff and and blend the weld pool into the thin sheet so it doesn’t cop as much heat)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Could look at using R152 canned air to charge the system.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Day 2 of the recovery program but with more acid!

Applied metal brush then shopvac

Apply acid

wait some time

wait with cat

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

Day 2 of the recovery program but with more acid!

You are really going to want to remove those inner support portions bolted down on the inside of the footwells, they are not welded to the actual floor (as evidenced by them going over the weird circle punches that are gooped into the floor) and will be harboring more rust on both the floor it's covering and the underside of the supports themselves. The floors don't actually look bad though, on mine they had rusted completely through on the driver's side.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

You are really going to want to remove those inner support portions bolted down on the inside of the footwells, they are not welded to the actual floor (as evidenced by them going over the weird circle punches that are gooped into the floor) and will be harboring more rust on both the floor it's covering and the underside of the supports themselves. The floors don't actually look bad though, on mine they had rusted completely through on the driver's side.

rust did go through the passanger side but not nearly as bad.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Looks a lot better. I don’t envy you the patch job on that driver side support but that’s why this thread is already awesome.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Toms turbo garage has some good videos where he pulled the engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhnLbyibi8o

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

Toms turbo garage has some good videos where he pulled the engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhnLbyibi8o

That series is great.
Not much progress will happen on the weekdays but did pick up some 11ga hot rolled steel for $0.99 a pound at this metal place like 10 minutes from work.

got visted by patches the not mine but totally likes to hang out in my yard outside kitty

and samson loves the the japanese farts seats

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

warrrgghhh, life has been busy and hectic and i suck at welding. So before i damaged the car anymore then i did I reached out to local people and had them fix the rust while i worked back to back weekends. Then i proceeded to fail to document the following changes, brakes pads replaced, new tires put on, new fuel filter, new oil filter, new oil, new battery meant for a snow mobile (arctic cat t660 uses the k6a engine ie the more advance verison of the engine in the z1 ),tighten the gently caress out the alternator belt (learned it was loose when the brand new fully charged battery died on me).

So alright everything is working i everything is fine, i drive to work with it, and on the way home, maybe 0.5 away from home the alternator i tighten down eats itself and have to drive home with the alternator dead.

however fun times i got home and i have new door dampers. the yahoo auction ones that are suppose to be too strong. however i only installed one on the driver side door and that appears to have fixed the droopy door on my dead az1. New belts are incoming.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Happy to see an update on this thread! How often have you been hit up to have someone try to buy it from you?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Happy to see an update on this thread! How often have you been hit up to have someone try to buy it from you?

since i have literally only driven it 3 days because the car is filled with gremlins only once so far.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
So the alternator ate itself or the belt did?

Wanna see you welded up floor too

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
AUTOZAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

So the alternator ate itself or the belt did?

Wanna see you welded up floor too

the belt died, the alternator still spins, and next time i get a chance to remove all the carpet and seat will take photos, and will get some underside shots when i take it up the shop.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

I lied i do have some pictures

with the magic of editing

fixed the door struts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56DjLKZzsks

wargames fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 12, 2019

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

gently caress yeah

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Any updates?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

sharkytm posted:

Any updates?

Tons actually!

been super busy with work and did the not Ai thing and dropped the az1 off at a shop so they can work on it while temps were in the 100+ range. they replaced the clutch, o2 sensor, thermostat, transmission oil, ignition wires, timing belt, water pump, map sensor, water temp gauge, all the suspension bushings, and converted the ac to r134. Also got the windows tinted.

now comes the bad.

the AC compressor was dying before the conversion and the clutch bearing gave up ghost 2 days ago. I am having fun sourcing a replacement. The other bad thing is the car currently like to come out of alignment, i do not know if that is the car settling into the new bushings or something is super loose in the suspension. The fun thing is the car so narrow 98% of the alignment racks in town can't align the car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

wargames posted:

they replaced the clutch, o2 sensor, thermostat, transmission oil, ignition wires, timing belt, water pump, map sensor, water temp gauge, all the suspension bushings, and converted the ac to r134.

Are they a specialty shop? Do they have a factory service manual for the harder stuff to be able to give you book quotes?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Are they a specialty shop? Do they have a factory service manual for the harder stuff to be able to give you book quotes?

They have the factory service manual in japanese because i gave it to them, and no they aren't a specialty shop. Also note this was past tense and has already occurred. I am going to try and take apart the dash today and replace the instrument cluster bulbs as the cluster is prett dark at night.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Don't have any befores but the instrument cluster was super dark at night and persumed (rightfully so) that some of the bulbs were dead. So the quest starts!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I love the racing look of the gauges, then realizing that the speedo stops at 140... kph. That's 85mph, :lol:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The 85 mph speedometer was a law in the US from 79 to 81, but it stuck around much longer due to inertia and production. I wonder if that's an artifact of it.

They thought people psychologically would keep the needle in the center of the speedometer and drive closer to 55 for max fuel economy but nobody did.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

That does have a speed limiter of 84 MPH.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Small update. When I was putting the dash back together I plugged the emergency indicator button back in and the housing just crumbled.

But parts aren't too hard to come by

And the dash is also super brittle plastic but nothing a little super glue can't fix!

cat tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Super glue (cyanoacrylate) can typically turn brittle with time. Best using an epoxy in cases like that. Laying a little fiberglass will hold it in place too.