Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

YoursTruly posted:

What exactly was Einstein imagining there? Just a big cargo ship with the bomb in it sailing right up to a major port? Prior to figuring out how to transport bombs by air, was there significant R&D done towards sea transport? I feel like the modern Poseidon torpedo is basically the culmination of this idea, but what were policy makers (be they Allied or Axis) thinking of as a delivery mechanism at the time? Were we ever "close" to seeing the first atom bomb used in warfare being detonated on a ship in port?

Sailing a ship into a port and blowing it up wasn't an unheard of tactic in those times, e.g. the raid on St Nazaire during WW2.

Einstein wasn't a military man though, so I imagine he was just using the first example that came to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think the US ever seriously considered using anything else besides dropping a nuclear device as a bomb. The B-29 was practically* purpose-built for it. I say this with an asterisk because the US already wanted an intercontinental bomber even with just a conventional payload, but since that project and the Manhattan Project were concurrent, they also planned ahead enough that they knew they were going to use the two together.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kublai Khan was a goon

-Eventually died due to sedentary lifestyle and overeating
-Meltdown over how trips to Japan to experience authentic Japanese culture led to rejection

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The B‐29 was chosen to deliver the bombs before the bombs had been designed.

Silverplate, the plan the use the B‐29, begins in June of 1943. The USAAF takes delivery of the first planes in July. Oppenheimer gets security clearance later than month. Construction is underway at Los Alamos all that year.

The B‐29 ended up having a maximum capacity of a little under twice the weight of Fat Man or Little Boy. It couldn’t have made the trip from Tinian carrying that much weight, but no one knew what range would be necessary at the time.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Cerebral Bore posted:

Sailing a ship into a port and blowing it up wasn't an unheard of tactic in those times, e.g. the raid on St Nazaire during WW2.

Einstein wasn't a military man though, so I imagine he was just using the first example that came to mind.

Einstein would not have known how big or small the bomb would be, the information to make such calculations simply did not exist prior to Manhattan, they just knew enough to be sure that such a weapon could be built. Also he would not have known about the B-29.

Ultimately Einstein never worked on Manhattan; he was considered a security risk and was not given the clearance needed to work on the project, though it's likely he would have been consulted at some point.

Richard Fenyman who did work on Manhattan was not considered a security risk despite breaking into as many safes as he could at Los Alamos.

etalian posted:

Another fun fact that despite the Manhattan Project being a really expensive project, the B-29 bomber project ended up being more expensive for a overall project cost (2 billion vs 3 billion USD)

I'd like to know if that includes the cost of developing the B-32, which was developed in parallel as a backup in case the B-29 was drastically held up. In the end the B-29 program was delayed - but the B-32 program suffered more delays and became superfluous as the B-29 became a success.

The scale and speed of development and production in the US during WW2 was just, um, insanely insane.

also lol @ the Silverplate cover story:

wikipedia posted:

A cover story was devised that Silverplate was about modifying a Pullman car for use by President Franklin Roosevelt (Thin Man) and United Kingdom Prime Minister Winston Churchill (Fat Man) on a secret tour of the United States.

The Thin Man device was found to be impractical and was superseded by the Little Boy design.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

The Sausages posted:

I know the german scientist thing is from like 5 pages ago but that was fascinating thanks for sharing it. Their presumptions vs. what I know of the Manhattan project are pretty amusing, but among other things this bit had be going WTF:

It's left me wondering a couple of things, 1- could this be linked to push to bomb Dresden? and 2- How the hell would America threaten Germany in the middle of a shooting war? For that matter, how does credible communication between hostile states at war actually take place, and are communications of that nature ever available to public researchers?

The nuclear secrecy blogger did some research on this and he thinks that Graves (the guy in charge of the Manhattan project) sent the message secretly through the embassy in neutral Portugal in some weird and unauthorized attempt to gauge the German reaction.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
That's an interesting theory and makes a lot of sense too, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/cjane87/status/1305580503479787521/photo/1

digging how in our current political environment its impossible to tell whether tilden is supposed to represent trump or biden