Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
so what are museum recommendations everyone has? the oakland museum has a nice permanent californian history section along with a rotating set of exhibitions. the deutsche historiches museum in berlin is very nice as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so what are museum recommendations everyone has? the oakland museum has a nice permanent californian history section along with a rotating set of exhibitions. the deutsche historiches museum in berlin is very nice as well

The Mütter Museum in Philadelphia is delightful though not necessarily for everyone as it's a collection of medical oddities and whatnot, and I'd be remiss not to mention the Fairbanks Museum in St. Johnsbury, VT (as I was a junior curator there when I was a kid).

I've heard good things about the Smithsonian's new African American History Museum, but haven't been to DC since it opened so I can't speak to it first hand.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ok I know this is a dumb question but- lincoln: lib, good, both , neither? Seems like he had a bunch of Problems but at least dicrced himself from the liberal consensus to do the right thing. I guess don't know where exactly American liberal dialogue was and where he was in relation to it

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

lincoln was racist to a degree but did genuinely want to end slavery, hence why he jumped on to the "colonize the slaves to africa" train until mid-1862. after the border states refused to considered compensated emancipation and african-american groups told him to gently caress off with the colonization schemes was when he embraced freeing all the slaves in the confederacy. and then after he had safely secured his second term he fully supported the 13th amendment.

lincoln's post-war plans for the confederacy were awful and p lib-ish. his proposal would have seen confederate states re-admitted to the union once 10% of the pre-war voting population had signed a loyalty oath which would have seen the south reclaimed by the redeemers even earlier

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

R. Mute posted:

actually all military history is bad

military history is cool because you learn important lessons like:
--never trust the english

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lincoln's post-war plans for the confederacy were awful and p lib-ish. his proposal would have seen confederate states re-admitted to the union once 10% of the pre-war voting population had signed a loyalty oath which would have seen the south reclaimed by the redeemers even earlier

One of Lincoln's major character flaws was his unreasonable optimism toward white southerners, first displayed in his expectations that enough would oppose secession to defeat it, then again in his naive expectation regarding southern unionists during the war's first two years, and finally in how he figured the postwar union could be easily put back together again and the defeated south would just accept the verdict of the battlefield and the reconstruction amendments/reality to follow it.

Not to be more acceptably vulgar, but one imagines the second-to-last thing to past through his mind was "oh gently caress, they weren't kidding after all."

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Peanut President posted:

military history is cool because you learn important lessons like:
--never trust the english

they are a cruel and brutish race, with a sort of low cunning given to deceit and betrayal

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Houston Museum of Art had a superb collection of mesoamerican art when i passed through several years ago

e:

R. Mute posted:

actually all military history is bad

you will take my doorstopper Theodore Ayrault Dodge tomes from my cold, dead hands

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

last history book I read was tresspassers on the roof of the world by Peter hopirk, it was pretty rad.

best part was where the Brits said "lmao we don't need our big boy artillery for these primitives" and left it behind only to immediately get stuck at a mountain doom fortress their light guns couldn't scratch

end result was an officer than turned out to be a famous mountain climber, a bunch of ghurkahs, and Sikhs from mountain provinces climbed up a 250ft cliff in the middle of the night then had a 12 hour running gunfight through the halls until they could reach a gate to open, which is probably one of the most metals things I've read in a history book. Shame about the imperialism.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

not exactly museums but Virginia has a bunch of good historical sites worth visiting. for my birthday awhile ago my friends and i went to Pope's Creek plantation, where George Washington was born (but didn't live, his family moved when he was three). I read a book about its institutional history in grad school in my public history seminar, and it was really interesting with a lot of detailed research, so I really wanted to see how it was today. its a little disappointing in winter but in spring/summer it has a semi-functional farm that, when we actually funded public historical sites, used to be fully functional with plowing oxen, costume reenactors, the whole nine yards. its still worth visiting though, because the curation is exceptionally good, like it has a bunch of paintings of Washington with little plaques that ask the viewer questions about the intention behind the representation, distorting figures for nation-building narratives, and hagiographies and was really exceptionally good despite being threadbare

also the museum of the American Indian (I think is what its called) in Washington DC is really good, it has some neat exhibits and the big room on depictions of native americans in popular culture is extremely well done with lots of interesting, well-contextualized artifacts. honestly the big museums in DC are all pretty good and the udvar-hazy center is supposed to be super cool, but I haven't been

alternately, many historical sites that are owned and maintained by private entities are fuckin terrible, like monticello, where Jefferson's descendants have a major interest in the day-to-day of the place (or at least did until recently). it does a lot to paper over slavery and really tries to obfuscate the dreadful feelings inherent to a charnel house thousands and thousands of enslaved people passed through over the decades by talking about the habits of the white aristocracy. its really, really bad and you could come away from it genuinely believing that many of Jefferson's actions were motivated by genuine affection for his enslaved children born from the repeated rapes he committed because he did things like let them live the last half of their lives in town "free" while refusing to formally manumit them. the tour guide also spent awhile specifically trying to make it seem like the slaves had the agency to "better themselves" by spending their theoretical days of rest laboring for a pittance in the dangerous metal shops and stuff. it was really naseauting

anyway, if you ever have time and you're around Virginia / DC, there's a ton of good stuff worth visiting

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

StashAugustine posted:

ok I know this is a dumb question but- lincoln: lib, good, both , neither? Seems like he had a bunch of Problems but at least dicrced himself from the liberal consensus to do the right thing. I guess don't know where exactly American liberal dialogue was and where he was in relation to it

antebellum U.S. politics and the various left-right groupings and positions were so radically different compared to our modern context and expectations that its more helpful to just learn the various permutations of Whig and Democrat thought than try to fit them into a modern "liberal" framework and judge based on that. the good news is that whigs and democrats were really interesting in their own right

e: check out The Political Culture of the American Whigs by Daniel Walker Howe, Affairs of Party by Jean Baker, and Northern Men with Southern Loyalties by Michael Todd Landis. also What Hath God Wrought by Howe is a great intro to the period

tatankatonk has issued a correction as of 17:39 on Mar 22, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

tatankatonk posted:

antebellum U.S. politics and the various left-right groupings and positions were so radically different compared to our modern context and expectations that its more helpful to just learn the various permutations of Whig and Democrat thought than try to fit them into a modern "liberal" framework and judge based on that. the good news is that whigs and democrats were really interesting in their own right

e: check out The Political Culture of the American Whigs by Daniel Walker Howe, Affairs of Party by Jean Baker, and Northern Men with Southern Loyalties by Michael Todd Landis. also What Hath God Wrought by Howe is a great intro to the period

Thanks. I'm kinda dimly aware of this which is why I asked. I'd just finished Liberalism: a Counter History which argues that theres been an ugly (and frequently dominant) strain of liberalism for white rich people which was where the slavers drew their arguments from. Lincoln seems to generally strike me as more on the radical side of the liberal spectrum, but I dont know where he fits in the discourse of politics at the time

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

One thing to add to the Lincoln chat, is that despite his (many) shortcomings, his position during the war was sufficient for Karl Marx to write to him in 1864 on behalf of the International Workingmen's Association

quote:

Sir:

We congratulate the American people upon your re-election by a large majority. If resistance to the Slave Power was the reserved watchword of your first election, the triumphant war cry of your re-election is Death to Slavery.

From the commencement of the titanic American strife the workingmen of Europe felt instinctively that the star-spangled banner carried the destiny of their class. The contest for the territories which opened the dire epopee, was it not to decide whether the virgin soil of immense tracts should be wedded to the labor of the emigrant or prostituted by the tramp of the slave driver?

When an oligarchy of 300,000 slaveholders dared to inscribe, for the first time in the annals of the world, "slavery" on the banner of Armed Revolt, when on the very spots where hardly a century ago the idea of one great Democratic Republic had first sprung up, whence the first Declaration of the Rights of Man was issued, and the first impulse given to the European revolution of the eighteenth century; when on those very spots counterrevolution, with systematic thoroughness, gloried in rescinding "the ideas entertained at the time of the formation of the old constitution", and maintained slavery to be "a beneficent institution", indeed, the old solution of the great problem of "the relation of capital to labor", and cynically proclaimed property in man "the cornerstone of the new edifice" — then the working classes of Europe understood at once, even before the fanatic partisanship of the upper classes for the Confederate gentry had given its dismal warning, that the slaveholders' rebellion was to sound the tocsin for a general holy crusade of property against labor, and that for the men of labor, with their hopes for the future, even their past conquests were at stake in that tremendous conflict on the other side of the Atlantic. Everywhere they bore therefore patiently the hardships imposed upon them by the cotton crisis, opposed enthusiastically the proslavery intervention of their betters — and, from most parts of Europe, contributed their quota of blood to the good cause.

While the workingmen, the true political powers of the North, allowed slavery to defile their own republic, while before the Negro, mastered and sold without his concurrence, they boasted it the highest prerogative of the white-skinned laborer to sell himself and choose his own master, they were unable to attain the true freedom of labor, or to support their European brethren in their struggle for emancipation; but this barrier to progress has been swept off by the red sea of civil war.

The workingmen of Europe feel sure that, as the American War of Independence initiated a new era of ascendancy for the middle class, so the American Antislavery War will do for the working classes. They consider it an earnest of the epoch to come that it fell to the lot of Abraham Lincoln, the single-minded son of the working class, to lead his country through the matchless struggle for the rescue of an enchained race and the reconstruction of a social world. [B]

Signed on behalf of the International Workingmen's Association, the Central Council:

Longmaid, Worley, Whitlock, Fox, Blackmore, Hartwell, Pidgeon, Lucraft, Weston, Dell, Nieass, Shaw, Lake, Buckley, Osbourne, Howell, Carter, Wheeler, Stainsby, Morgan, Grossmith, Dick, Denoual, Jourdain, Morrissot, Leroux, Bordage, Bocquet, Talandier, Dupont, L.Wolff, Aldovrandi, Lama, Solustri, Nusperli, Eccarius, Wolff, Lessner, Pfander, Lochner, Kaub, Bolleter, Rybczinski, Hansen, Schantzenbach, Smales, Cornelius, Petersen, Otto, Bagnagatti, Setacci;

George Odger, President of the Council; P.V. Lubez, Corresponding Secretary for France; Karl Marx, Corresponding Secretary for Germany; G.P. Fontana, Corresponding Secretary for Italy; J.E. Holtorp, Corresponding Secretary for Poland; H.F. Jung, Corresponding Secretary for Switzerland; William R. Cremer, Honorary General Secretary.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

since it came up in the discord i'm just going to post my favorite civil war related death:

quote:

On June 14, 1864, Polk was scouting enemy positions near Marietta, Georgia, with his staff when he was killed in action by a Federal 3-inch (76 mm) shell at Pine Mountain.[26] The artillery fire was initiated when Sherman spotted a cluster of Confederate generals — Polk, William J. Hardee, and Johnston, with their staffs — in an exposed area. He pointed them out to Maj. Gen. Oliver Otis Howard, commander of the IV Corps, and ordered him to fire upon them. Battery I of the 1st Ohio Light Artillery, commanded by Capt. Hubert Dilger, obeyed the order within minutes. The first round from the battery came close and a second came even closer, causing the men to disperse. The third shell struck Polk's left arm, went through his chest, and exited hitting his right arm, then exploded against a tree; it nearly cut Polk in two.[27]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonidas_Polk#Atlanta_Campaign_and_death

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
why is this thread not just repostings of kitty history?

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Lvv1f5Qu4

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
my favorite civil war general is ambrose burnside

dude was thoroughly mediocre and borderline incompetent, like most civil war generals. but unlike most of the rest, he knew it

every time someone else was in charge of him, they managed to be an even bigger fuckup than he was. and then they'd inevitably get sacked and the leadership would repeatedly try to promote him until he reluctantly accepted. he'd then immediately lead the army on some colossal fuckup, get demoted, try to resign, and be told by Lincoln that he shouldn't quit. rinse and repeat until the war was over

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Main Paineframe posted:

my favorite civil war general is ambrose burnside

dude was thoroughly mediocre and borderline incompetent, like most civil war generals. but unlike most of the rest, he knew it

every time someone else was in charge of him, they managed to be an even bigger fuckup than he was. and then they'd inevitably get sacked and the leadership would repeatedly try to promote him until he reluctantly accepted. he'd then immediately lead the army on some colossal fuckup, get demoted, try to resign, and be told by Lincoln that he shouldn't quit. rinse and repeat until the war was over

the goon general

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

also burnside's plan for fredericksburg was sound. the war department just completely hosed him over and didn't get him the pontoon bridges he needed until after Lee had nearly a fortnight to fortify the area

granted he was still stupid af for ordering the attack after the bridges arrived. but had they been there his attack probably would have been a success

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

also burnside's plan for fredericksburg was sound. the war department just completely hosed him over and didn't get him the pontoon bridges he needed until after Lee had nearly a fortnight to fortify the area

granted he was still stupid af for ordering the attack after the bridges arrived. but had they been there his attack probably would have been a success

Similarly, his plan at Petersburg wasn't that bad of an idea, it was just the execution was horribly botched by subordinates, the most important of whom was blackout drunk at the time the crater mine was detonated.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

ambrose burnside: the "oh come the gently caress on" of generalship

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
idk if this is the correct thread but like why is contemporary russia so racist and homophobic. were things equally lovely under the ussr

also how are there literal russian and ukrainan neo-Nazis? I understand hardcore nationalists but werent russians and other slavs selected for extermination and slavery under generalplan ost

cargo cult has issued a correction as of 02:29 on Apr 1, 2019

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

they pretend the slavic parts of hitler's geneocides never happened

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

cargo cult posted:

idk if this is the correct thread but like why is contemporary russia so racist and homophobic. were things equally lovely under the ussr

also how are there literal russian and ukrainan neo-Nazis? I understand hardcore nationalists but werent russians and other slavs selected for extermination and slavery under generalplan ost

I think something about the Russian landscape just darkens their hearts. They've been like that for two centuries

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Raskolnikov38 posted:

ambrose burnside: the "oh come the gently caress on" of generalship

to be fair, that was exactly what lincoln wanted, he was sick of mcclellan dithering and finding excuses not to fight, lincoln figured that bloodbaths would hurt the Confederates more than his own troops

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Similarly, his plan at Petersburg wasn't that bad of an idea, it was just the execution was horribly botched by subordinates, the most important of whom was blackout drunk at the time the crater mine was detonated.

that's the part that makes me laugh

he knew he sucked and honestly tried to make up for that, and every single time someone else would completely gently caress up whatever he tried

don't forget that he spent a ton of time meticulously training a specific division to fight that battle and then Meade and Grant told him a few hours before the battle he couldn't use that division because it had black troops

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

they pretend the slavic parts of hitler's geneocides never happened

Had it not, there's a pretty good chance much, perhaps most, of Ukraine would have rallied to the Axis cause.

Main Paineframe posted:

that's the part that makes me laugh

he knew he sucked and honestly tried to make up for that, and every single time someone else would completely gently caress up whatever he tried

don't forget that he spent a ton of time meticulously training a specific division to fight that battle and then Meade and Grant told him a few hours before the battle he couldn't use that division because it had black troops

Grant, in his memoirs, says of Burnside:

quote:

General Burnside was an officer who was generally liked and respected. He was not, however, fitted to command an army. No one knew this better than himself. He always admitted his blunders, and extenuated officers under him beyond what they were entitled to. It was hardly his fault that he was ever assigned to a separate command.

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 03:44 on Apr 1, 2019

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Israel has neo-nazis too. It doesn't matter how unlikely, some people will always find a reason to pick up the swastika.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Israel has neo-nazis too. It doesn't matter how unlikely, some people will always find a reason to pick up the swastika.

From Dorothy Thompson's 1941 essay, Who Goes Nazi?

Dorothy Thompson posted:

It is preposterous to think that they are divided by any racial characteristics. Germans may be more susceptible to Nazism than most people, but I doubt it. Jews are barred out, but it is an arbitrary ruling. I know lots of Jews who are born Nazis and many others who would heil Hitler tomorrow morning if given a chance. There are Jews who have repudiated their own ancestors in order to become “Honorary Aryans and Nazis”; there are full-blooded Jews who have enthusiastically entered Hitler’s secret service. Nazism has nothing to do with race and nationality. It appeals to a certain type of mind.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I love that Lost Cause authors poo poo all over Gen. James Longstreet and place the blame pretty much entirely on him for Gettysburg. Naturally, this animus is pretty rooted in that after the war he actually tried to make amends and wound up leading an African-American militia against the anti-Reconstruction White League at the Battle of Liberty Place in 1874.

Personally, I've always been rather fond of Gen. Henry Thomas for making the decision to support the Union and causing his family to disown him completely, with his sisters even rejecting monetary aid after the war because they refused to acknowledge his existence. He also completely called out the Lost Cause bullshit only a few years after the war:

"The greatest efforts made by the defeated insurgents since the close of the war have been to promulgate the idea that the cause of liberty, justice, humanity, equality, and all the calendar of the virtues of freedom, suffered violence and wrong when the effort for southern independence failed. This is, of course, intended as a species of political cant, whereby the crime of treason might be covered with a counterfeit varnish of patriotism, so that the precipitators of the rebellion might go down in history hand in hand with the defenders of the government, thus wiping out with their own hands their own stains; a species of self-forgiveness amazing in its effrontery, when it is considered that life and property—justly forfeited by the laws of the country, of war, and of nations, through the magnanimity of the government and people—was not exacted from them."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Grammarchist posted:

I love that Lost Cause authors poo poo all over Gen. James Longstreet and place the blame pretty much entirely on him for Gettysburg. Naturally, this animus is pretty rooted in that after the war he actually tried to make amends and wound up leading an African-American militia against the anti-Reconstruction White League at the Battle of Liberty Place in 1874.

Personally, I've always been rather fond of Gen. Henry Thomas for making the decision to support the Union and causing his family to disown him completely, with his sisters even rejecting monetary aid after the war because they refused to acknowledge his existence. He also completely called out the Lost Cause bullshit only a few years after the war:

"The greatest efforts made by the defeated insurgents since the close of the war have been to promulgate the idea that the cause of liberty, justice, humanity, equality, and all the calendar of the virtues of freedom, suffered violence and wrong when the effort for southern independence failed. This is, of course, intended as a species of political cant, whereby the crime of treason might be covered with a counterfeit varnish of patriotism, so that the precipitators of the rebellion might go down in history hand in hand with the defenders of the government, thus wiping out with their own hands their own stains; a species of self-forgiveness amazing in its effrontery, when it is considered that life and property—justly forfeited by the laws of the country, of war, and of nations, through the magnanimity of the government and people—was not exacted from them."

The other former Confederate who usually ends up being mentioned alongside Longstreet is John Mosby, who was so gifted a cavalry raider that he earned the nickname "The Grey Ghost." After the war, like Longstreet, he committed the twin cardinal sins of acknowledging the war had been about slavery the whole time ("I've always understood that we went to war on account of the thing we quarreled with the North about. I've never heard of any other cause than slavery"), and joining the Republican party explicitly to support Grant.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
this whole interview ftw

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/201...ity-part-1.html

i really wish there were more good historians writing about debt, power relations and blasting apart the myth of "free" (to turn everyone else into debt slaves) republics written by oligarchs

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Grammarchist posted:

Longstreet actually had some really bad ideas at Gettysburg, namely putting the ANV between the Army of Potomac and Washington DC and he isn't the super god-like defensive master that some post-Killer Angel/Gettysburg movie people made him out to be

that being said though lee vetoed his ideas and Lee was basically 95% responsible for Gettysburg

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Also as a kid, I loved the 6 hour long battle scenes in Gettysburg on history channel

I watched Pickett's charge scene like 5 times or something

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've always wanted a big sprawling book about the war after the war: how all the Civil War generals and their partisans fought for decades over who gets the credit/blame for what. How wartime rear end-covering and finger-pointing transitions to mudslinging, memoir-writing, and politicking. The war itself was only a few years prelude to something like six decades of steadily aging white men either making GBS threads on each other or praising each other for often the same actions in the same battles. Reputations rose and fell. It's way more epic than bang boom walk across the field whoops we're all dead.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've always wanted a big sprawling book about the war after the war: how all the Civil War generals and their partisans fought for decades over who gets the credit/blame for what. How wartime rear end-covering and finger-pointing transitions to mudslinging, memoir-writing, and politicking. The war itself was only a few years prelude to something like six decades of steadily aging white men either making GBS threads on each other or praising each other for often the same actions in the same battles. Reputations rose and fell. It's way more epic than bang boom walk across the field whoops we're all dead.

just read Battles & Leaders of the Civil War, it's basically acw generals shitposting at each other

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

john gibbon's memoirs are a really funny example of this, there's a huge postscript where he's just corresponding with various corps commanders arguing over gettysburg thirty years later

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
what they needed is twitter so they can shitpost at each other and the shitposting will remain for all of history

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telegram_style

People at the time basically communicated "no u" when they weren't writing long letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Grant has a good breakdown of his opinion of the major commanders and a surprising number of their subordinates in the last chapters of his memoir, and was remarkably even-handed for a dying man who'd been steadily defamed by not a small number of them.