Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

PLAY GAMES
https://itch.io/jam/hanks-jam/entries

Hey it's us, the people who run the game jams.

Between March 15th and April 1st we're running Hanks Jam. A game jam where you make a game about Tom Hanks, America's favorite actor.

All the info you need is on the Itch page.

https://itch.io/jam/hanks-jam

There's a prize for Best Game with a nice physical box of goodies from FanGamer.

[Note: This doesn't reflect the prize pack you get, and if you don't like Undertale we won't send you a box full of Undertale.]

What are some of your Hanks flavored ideas? We're hankering to hear what ideas you've got.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
When I first glanced at the thread title, I thought it said Tony Hawk. Though, Im sure Mr. Hanks is also pretty good on the skateboard.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

ththanks

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Sorry, OP, but as a Canadian I celebrated Hanksgiving a month ago

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I fully intend to make a Tom Hanks themed game for the Tom Hanks themed game jam.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
I just hope to god someone makes Tom Hank's pro skater 2019.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

TomR posted:

I fully intend to make a Tom Hanks themed game for the Tom Hanks themed game jam.

Mods please change this posters name to TomH thanks.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Actually upon further thought, I want to see someone make a game similar to Barkley shut up and jam, but all the characters are Tom Hanks characters from different movies.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Hanks: Into the Hanksverse

edit: It would have to include a scene where they all pee at the same time

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 12, 2019

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

sssssssssssss

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Giant piano rhythm game / SHMUP

Cast Away Xtreme Beach Volleyball

Healslutting Private Ryan

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 12, 2019

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been wanting World of Hanks for, like, a decade now.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Spend hours coding in Hanks++, then they'll send you a box of trash. A worthwhile endeavor.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

The Burbs RPG

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I’m in! And this time I actually have time to work on it, unlike the last jam (though I made a game for it after the deadline anyway that literally one person played). I haven’t seen anywhere near as many Tom Hanks movies as I should have but I’ll make it work!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

So if someone was a complete moron and wanted to put out some trash for such a competition, where would be the best place to look to start these days?

Back in the day I could knock out some acceptable flash games, but that was a long loving time ago... I totally have a bad idea that would be fun to do, but I just get lost :(

Thermal Anomaly
Jul 1, 2017

by Cyrano4747

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

So if someone was a complete moron and wanted to put out some trash for such a competition, where would be the best place to look to start these days?

Back in the day I could knock out some acceptable flash games, but that was a long loving time ago... I totally have a bad idea that would be fun to do, but I just get lost :(

Are you asking for recommendations on tools/engines to use? If you liked using Flash and need something with a gentle learning curve, check out Love2D. It's pretty easy to learn and good for making simple 2D games quickly

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Thermal Anomaly posted:

Are you asking for recommendations on tools/engines to use? If you liked using Flash and need something with a gentle learning curve, check out Love2D. It's pretty easy to learn and good for making simple 2D games quickly

Yea, looking on figuring out the easiest tools / engines to use.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Unity3D (it does 2D stuff too) has a free version that is fully capable. If you aren't trying to use this to learn an engine to make something you actually want you might want to go with someone else.

It's reasonably easy to learn to get stuff working. There's a ton of public scripts you can just slap in tweek some variables and be off. Someone already made the code to rotate a tire, so just stick that script onto your wheels and be done!

It's object based so you make something then attach scripts to it, you can use Java or C#, if you want to get serious C# is the way to go.

You can release to just about anything (WebGL for browser, PC, Linux, Android, iOS, PS4, Nintendo Switch, XBONE)

There's a lot of bad games made with Unity, because it's easy to use Unity. There's also some really great games made with Unity (Hearth Stone is done in Unity)

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

pixaal posted:

Java or C#

Unity has C# and an ECMAScript variant (like Javascript) available. Not actual Java.

You can use Microsoft Visual Studio as the editor for C# scripts, and it's a good idea to do so since then you can also use the inbuilt VS debugger with Unity.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
https://youtu.be/m_8lxXe48v4

Edit:

TomR fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 15, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

StoryTime posted:

Unity has C# and an ECMAScript variant (like Javascript) available. Not actual Java.

You can use Microsoft Visual Studio as the editor for C# scripts, and it's a good idea to do so since then you can also use the inbuilt VS debugger with Unity.

Java from javascript is very different thanks for the correction. I knew it was javascript the time change has been messing with me all week.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
day 1:
https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/1106684808921600004

I'm really really tired :v:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
There's a Snake in my Bot!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CefDiWou0Hg

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'm having a lot of fun with animations this Jam.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I don't understand why you give hanks instead of giving T.Hanks

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

What are the rules regarding using opengameart for some assets here?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

What are the rules regarding using opengameart for some assets here?
You can use anything that gives you permission to, just credit appropriately.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Please forgive me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqmxkv6pjyM

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/GayAnimeDad/status/1107676077097271296

Tom Hanks Nightmare Simulator will be a bonus mode in...

Kingdom Hanks 420/3.14 ECHOES: Rebirth by Dreams

...Unless my artist isn't able to contribute, in which case I'll have to make a full game out of it.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 20, 2019

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

If anyone's shooting for the best looking game award, I've got some bad news for you:

Myron fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 21, 2019

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Instead of posting too much stuff in the Discord I'll start posting too much in the thread!

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

I have no idea what I'm looking at, but it looks really cool!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Giggs posted:

Instead of posting too much stuff in the Discord I'll start posting too much in the thread!

How did you do that dithering effect transition? and the thunderbolts?

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Odddzy posted:

How did you do that dithering effect transition? and the thunderbolts?

The transition is just a sprite, each frame being a progressively lighter/darker dither pattern.

The lightning is based on a script I found here which just draws lines with random sublines between two points that I edited pretty heavily.
I also found another script someone wrote which draws "pixellated" lines rather than the interpolated ones GM:S is able to do. Because the game is scaled up to 1280x720 from 320x180 when GM:S draws lines they don't fit the pixel size nor colour palette, so I needed a way to ensure it's "true" to the scale or whatever.

Turns out I'm not going to use the lightning unless I have some inspiration for some new purpose.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Not sure at this point if I'm going to actually make a game or just watch Bosom Buddies.

(Kind of surprised that Bosom Buddies is not terrible; it's maybe even better than I remember it.)

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Made a quick and terrible video of the 2 pickups in a 2d platformer attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVui8vLjaP4

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Things have not went to plan this past week and I've barely got a start. Hoping I can have something in the coming week. I'm at least doing it in a team this time and one of our members got a head start for us, so that's a positive.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Giggs posted:

Please feel free to post as much progress updates as you want in the Discord. It gives everyone else motivation.

Goes for everyone else too.

(If anyone reading this isn’t in the Discord, you should join :allears: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Getting there.