Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Nix Panicus posted:

How much human suffering is down to the basic inability to call someone in a position of authority a stupid fucker to their face?

The advent of hierarchies was a mistake from which humanity has never recovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Cost of Sustaining Lockheed’s F-35 Jet Now Forecast to Exceed $1.5 Trillion

Now that price is for operating and maintaining the F-35 through 2088, buuuuttttt its 44% higher than what the estimates were six years ago.

Amazing quote here from the Pentagon.

quote:

Pentagon officials told auditors that “significant F-35 program cost reductions will only come from flying the aircraft less or reducing the number of aircraft in the fleet.”

The readiness rate of the plane is also really bad. 52% for the USAF and 62% for the USN. They were targeting 80% and 75% respectively.

The whole article is just an example of the military-industrial complex wringing out as much money as it can.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nix Panicus posted:

How much human suffering is down to the basic inability to call someone in a position of authority a stupid fucker to their face?

All of our institutions depend on following orders from the higher-ups. Questioning them is only tolerated to a degree. Refusing them gets you fired, imprisoned, or shot.

The Cossacks work for the Tsar.

Iriscoral
Apr 9, 2023

为人民服务

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

American liberal elites like FDR and Keynes I think had a genuine belief that western would could peacefully transition from capitalist social democracy to communism and given how friendly FDR and Stalin were and how subordinated capital in the US was briefly to the war effort it was a totally reasonable and comforting/self-serving belief at that time.

nah, Keynes hated Communism, and believed the capitalist mode of production was the beall and end all of things. Keynes was fundamentally an intellectual working for capitalist coin and a lot of his writings in the tailend of the Great Depression was trying to get people not to kick out the economists that helped bring it forth.

quote:

And it’s just over 100 years since the great 20th century economist John Maynard Keynes wrote about Marx’s contribution. Keynes wrote then: “how can I accept the (Communist) doctrine which sets up as its bible above and beyond criticism, an obsolete textbook which I know not only to be scientifically erroneous but without interest or application to modern world.” [2] I think we can see that Keynes had a low opinion of Marx’s ideas.

And we can see why from the following comment of Keynes: “How can I adopt a creed which, preferring the mud to the fish, exalts the boorish proletariat above the bourgeoisie and the intelligentsia, who with all their faults, are the quality of life and surely carry the seeds of all human achievement?” [3]

https://redsails.org/marx-and-keynes-in-berlin/

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Owlbear Camus posted:

I think the framing was more "in the event that they lose an officer, the noble unterfeldwebel/staff sergeant has the initiative and know how to take over effective command of the platoon which makes them less tactically brittle, unlike dumb moron armies who just immediately tip over like star wars battle droids without a command ship" but your version is probably an easy sell for any infantryman who's had to do land nav with a freshly minted 2lt.

As a former NCO I endorse any framework that encourages violence toward officers (sorry to our Canadian friend)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

OhFunny posted:

Cost of Sustaining Lockheed’s F-35 Jet Now Forecast to Exceed $1.5 Trillion

Now that price is for operating and maintaining the F-35 through 2088, buuuuttttt its 44% higher than what the estimates were six years ago.

Amazing quote here from the Pentagon.

The readiness rate of the plane is also really bad. 52% for the USAF and 62% for the USN. They were targeting 80% and 75% respectively.

The whole article is just an example of the military-industrial complex wringing out as much money as it can.

I’d bet my life the disparity is because the Air Force is reporting more accurately than the navy

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, from the article those seem to be partial mission readiness, so they can't even use their full capabilities. I remember from GAO reports that the full mission capable rate was even lower, with the Navy and Marine Corps versions being absolutely abysmal.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Hey, is this relevant to the US ability to produce 155mm artillery shells?

https://twitter.com/MyLordBebo/stat...948%2Fpage-2105

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
God bless my state. :toot:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

a munitions factory? that's where you least want a fire

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

We destroyed half of China because they boarded and searched the Arrow and lowered the Red Ensign.

please, we're Americans, not monsters like the English

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
one day the great world war will come out of some damned foolish thing in the middle east

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

OhFunny posted:

operating and maintaining the F-35 through 2088

So good it'll last 75 years, just like the b-52 :patriot:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Owlbear Camus posted:

to be fair from everything we've seen there's a not insignificant chance that they've just been filling the shells with concrete or something

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
but to be less flippant a good high explosive doesn't actually go off when set on fire, you need a dedicated primer for it to detonate

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

please, we're Americans, not monsters like the English

As a successor state you keep the traits

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

frozenphil posted:

The Ft. Sill ammo facilities are gargantuan.

fwiw family that still live nearby say you basically never hear the guns fire there anymore. Whether that’s because they don’t have much ammo or it’s too uncool and boring to bother training on artillery anymore I dunno.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

As a former NCO I endorse any framework that encourages violence toward officers (sorry to our Canadian friend)

That's fine. Uneasily lie the shoulders that wear the pips and crowns.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
when do we expect to change the thread title to [REALTIME] The US Is Actively Losing WW3

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Cabbages and Kings posted:

when do we expect to change the thread title to [REALTIME] The US Is Actively Losing WW3

the first combat deaths they aren't able to explain away as a training accident or a seal slipping on a banana peel

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Open fire!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Sounds like it was pretty small and contained quickly.

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/l...dc-d13f7eca7e1f

quote:

SCRANTON, Pa. — Flames broke out at the Scranton Army Ammunition Plant Monday afternoon.
Fire crews responded to the heat treat building at the facility in downtown Scranton around 3:20 p.m.
Firefighters quickly knocked down the flames shortly after arriving.
Officials say no one was injured, and all personnel have been accounted for.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
It is not so much the damage to what I believe is America's only 155mm shell factory but what it says about the quality of said factory. Although the damage is nice too.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

mlmp08 posted:

Sounds like it was pretty small and contained quickly.

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/l...dc-d13f7eca7e1f

Cease fire!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hubbert posted:

Open fire!

Hubbert posted:

Cease fire!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Hubbert posted:

Cease fire!

We can only call for a temporary cease fire.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/SpyTalker/status/1780007047683010971

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I think we should save that milestone to whenever a navy ship gets severely damaged or a F35 gets shot down by Ansar Allah. Comically running your F35 into the sea doesn't count.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
how many shells does the US's biggest 155mm shell producer even make per month, is it as many as russia gets from NK per day yet?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Hahaha

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Pretty sure you're supposed to fire munitions

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

but to be less flippant a good high explosive doesn't actually go off when set on fire, you need a dedicated primer for it to detonate

like I know c4 wont explode if set on fire, but doesn't it burn easily and really hot?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Yes and the smoke is very toxic.

Foxrunsecurity
Aug 10, 2008
I suspect rather like ammonium nitrate if you have a gigantic amount of the stuff on fire it will eventually explode, people are just generally slightly less cavalier about it.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
i think c4 is a lot more stable than ammonium nitrate and i don't think they store it in giant piles like they did in beirut though

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Book learning? in my OSINT?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Flournival Dixon posted:

i think c4 is a lot more stable than ammonium nitrate and i don't think they store it in giant piles like they did in beirut though

Those are some big assumptions for the United States with 0 evidence to be that confident

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

actually fires at munitions factories are extremely normal and mild

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

actually fires at munitions factories are extremely normal and mild

With the fire, not OF the fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

you should do a controlled burn every couple weeks. it's good for the shell factory ecosystem