Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tankbuster posted:

Like whats gonna happen when all those F-35s crash due to inclement weather or the newly upgraded fighting falcons get zapped by russian air defenses?

we pay 500 billion for new ones deliverable in 2054

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the lcs was so reactive with sea water it dissolved itself

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they should just make a missile that shits out a huge rear end cloud of radar visible crap over miles and miles and have some normal rear end jets fly through it so the anti air cant target them

by they i mean the level designers at bandai namco project aces cause that would be a fun ac level.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Centrist Committee posted:

yeah I’m sure they’ve been meticulously maintained for the past half a century

things got really bad and they said they cleaned house and modernized but whos to say

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they forgot how to make all these special foams and other stuff for the warheads too

quote:

In 2007, as the government began overhauling the nation’s stockpile of W76 warheads—the variety often carried by Ohio-class submarines—officials at the National Nuclear Security Administration realized they couldn’t produce an essential material known as “Fogbank.” What purpose this substance actually serves is classified, but outside experts have suggested that it’s a sort of exploding foam that sits between the fission and fusion portions of hydrogen bombs. The Government Accountability Office reported in March that NNSA’s effort to recover its Fogbank-making ability had resulted in a yearlong, $69 million delay in the refurbishment project. And a government official with knowledge of the situation tells Mother Jones that further Fogbank-related delays are imminent.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rutibex posted:

how much you want to bet someone skimped on the fogbank or whatever, knowing it could not legally be tested by international law

some retiree passes off his wifes lemon bar recipe to uncle sam and collects the bounty

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hmm what will we use to catch the ions coming off the steel once this goes into a medium??
oh! how about the very hull itself!
genius!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

wolfs posted:

why, because they have impeccably vetted security clearances? where do nuclear missile skills transfer

rocket science is the thing people compare to the hardest thing you can do

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it was americans little brother holding the controller that time. now hes really playing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

empire is about stealing and killing to steal more. the rest is just what they tell the rubes to carry out the mission

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nix Panicus posted:

Imperial Rome had a massive industrial waterfront for bringing in all the raw goods the city needed to survive.

they had one at ostia for loading goods from ships on to barges and then another upriver for unloading the barges

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

america doesnt need any weapons for a real war because we will abandon our allies immediately and pretend its not happening

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

imperial life was a great read

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ww3 is going to be a collapsing america invading and enslaving western europe to work in the McNugget mines since they have all the bases and troops already there.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Retromancer posted:

How dare you question the brave Ukranians when they say they've killed 3x the population of Russia in defense of their homeland.

begun the clone wars have

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bar Ran Dun posted:

you’re not making the point you think you are.

I have things sent back from both Iraq and Afghanistan from friends and family and sent things to them. like you know functional mail system.

I’m not sure are they even going to set up bases? did they plan to?

why would russia occupy ukraine? i dont think they give a poo poo about that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

This is kind of related to chat in the Ukraine thread arguing if Russian fuckups in Ukraine are particularly incompetent or just the result of a modern war against a military that doesn't immediately fold: I was kinda under the impression that US planners thought the Gulf War was gonna be way worse than it was, was that the case? And apart from that, what made the US so decisively win that war- fatigue from the Iran war, poor Iraqi morale, technology, etc?

we told iraq they could invade kuwait after decades of helping them fight iran and then annihilated their whole army immediately cause it was all in the open going to kuwait and we knew everything about it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the littoral combat ship is an epic boondoggle they made them out of an alloy that dissolves in water and didnt use the right corrosion control measures

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they also cant stop crashing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

stealth became a thing because you can always make a missile that can fly higher, and fly faster, than any plane

at some point you have to do something to make the plane too difficult to shoot at, at least for long enough that you can close in and shoot something yourself

just fly waves of cheaper planes to exhaust their missiles first.

balsa wood replica drones with lawnmower engines

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the fighterjet of the future is a truck full of missile

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i say swears online posted:

if i was in cornwall i would have simply not let the late bronze collapse happen

big tin conglomerate hiring pinkertons to kill sea people and precocious iron workers

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the secret plot to use mommy influencers to spread fears about super tetanus

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Endman posted:

The F-22’s major problem was its colossal expense in not just initial purchase but ongoing maintenance.

Turns out trying to make a cheaper F-22 doesn’t work.

It’s also not cheaper lmao

but they called it the raptor when jurrassic park was cool so im good. dont even miss health care or roads

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why did america allow a hypersonic missile gap

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

also losing one just means we get to pay for even bigger shittier ones

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i believe in a world where rogue terrorists have anti ship missiles.

thank you ukraine war zone

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why isnt the crew assigned to other stuff?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why are they living on it tho?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

are they installing the digital launch system? im against it. "give me the goddamn steam!" a handsome man once said

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KomradeX posted:

Wait this isn't the LCS that also rots in seawater?

this is the plan b to that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i can only guess but steam probably is 100% fine but oops the f35 has terrible launches with it or something and we can't have that. railgun plane launchers at any cost please.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

Is the broken carrier also the one with the high death count? Just a matter of time until a F-35 catches fire or a LCS is cut in half.

yes it has a high body count because its in dock for repair and is in an uninhabitable/unsanitary state during repairs while sailors are still compelled to live on it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fish of hemp posted:

Do you really think that other countries MIC isn't full of grifters and weasels? Have you looked Russian performance in Ukraine?

at least the bad russian gear was sitting around for 50 years and not brand new

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dont subs need to go under the ice caps? probably cold there

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

Just thinking back to Cold War US sub accidents and I’m going to firmly side with “steel quality matters”. USS Scorpion might have been structural failure, right?

i read a book 10 years ago claiming theres acoustic evidence for macho bullshit cold wars bumper cars that we know took place between russian/american subs on the day the scorpion was lost

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cerebral Bore posted:

probably not that cold, actually. seawater reaches its maximum density at about 0°C, so in polar waters the water is actually at its coldest at the surface and the deeper you go the closer it gets to zero

right like it might be 50 below one day if they need to come up through an ice sheet to launch the missiles

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Trump is a baby who sees things with innocent eyes so he's like "can you believe the korean war never ended? We should end it!" which is correct but he literally didn't know that until someone told him. That can be a good thing but also a very bad thing when he tries to nuke China

but hes donald the dove.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the trees turned red at a time of year. thats how they saw them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Filthy Hans posted:

I've never heard of ammo casing that has steel, copper and aluminum parts together before

sounds like it'd be insanely expensive to produce

will those metals react and rust if the ammo gets wet in the field?