Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

i say swears online posted:

wonder what happens in ten years when a swarm of drones the size of a cup of coffee can take out an entire bio-identified officer crew

my fave bit of cyberpunk world building is that shipping on oceans is impossible because there are swarms of rouge hunter killer submarines leftover from a previous war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Welcum back buddy

Pistol_Pete posted:

The UK regularly talks as though it's still the same country that ruled a mighty empire, or even the country that could successfully send a strike force across the world to retake the Falklands.

Its so loving cringeworthy seeing some junior defense minister putting their name to newspaper articles with headlines like: "When the British lion roars, Putin trembles."

US posters take note of your future

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

FrancisFukyomama posted:

in the first one there’s a mission where xcom kidnaps an anti xcom politician and is implied to disappear him to a black site or something while in xcom 2 xcom basically uses IRA type tactics but there’s zero follow up on either, not even safe “wow violence is bad” liberal stuff

like there’s just zero mention of it at all bc firaxis can’t do any kind of world building or writing

here's one reason why- Sid is a huge christian guy and surrounds himself with similar people. We got in big arguments with them during the xcom reboot because they wouldn't even let cursing into the game. aliens are literally invading earth and it was uphill to make somebody say something besides 'oh my gosh'

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
congrats on the P vs I thread crossover events, time to get this regional conflict rolling

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You hear that guys, this could be our Falklands!

Frosted Flake posted:

I was just reading the damage reports from the Falklands and I don't know how the American public will handle a conflict where the enemy shoots back.

I'm not saying the Yemenis will be able to hit anything, only if they do, statistically it will not be a feelgood story for the MSNBC crowd.

50% mortality rates, even with immediate intensive medical care.

Hmmm yes dying instantaneously from smoke inhalation and asphyxiation

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Stairmaster posted:

my man does not know how the word or works

taking a bong hit so huge you instantly die and don't realize it

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I feel that is an accurate assessment, but the US brought all its dogs with it. They might just force another country to get into some ground stuff.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Its more likely the US lost the hegemony. If there was war on domestic territory it would be a totally different situation, but that probably will never happen. The old empire will stew in its corner of the world. As some person joked recently the soft landing is that we become like the UK. Hence the joke about the Falklands. They 'won' that war, but it was clear from how it went down that its power had waned so much it was no longer a serious global player.

BULBASAUR has issued a correction as of 07:28 on Jan 12, 2024

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
what kind of defense can you even have against a drone swarm besides your own drown swarm

future ships just gonna be covered in drone ports to maintain their swarms at sea, like a momma spider covered in lil crawlers

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, look at the British Empire: there was no single dramatic moment when everything collapsed at once; it happened very gradually, over decades. And just like you rarely notice yourself aging, there's a lot of (especially older) Brits who've never properly internalised the fact that Britain is no longer a great power. If you looked at our British media for example, you could be forgiven for thinking that Britannia still rules the waves and that we're decisively intervening around the world.

I can easily imagine eg the US armed forces still maintaining their global regional combat commands, long after they've lost any ability to project force in many of them.

To quote another poster, our soft landing is becoming the aging UK

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Terper posted:

We've just had elections here in Finland and the candidates are all varying shades of the same exact loving "nato good, china bad because they're quiet on ukraine and we should trade less with them, anyway let's be quiet on gaza and strengthen ties with the us"

gah

I was thinking about it recently. Fins, most of Scandinavia, and much of Eastern Europe have more in common and more shared interests with Russia than far away America. Even culturally there is a lot of common blood. Why the obsession with a decaying empire a world away that has almost nothing in common with you.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
When I have this sort of discussion with my Scandinavian extended family (and allude to what exactly they lose by trading one master for another) it often comes down to the same buzzwords you get in the states: something something authoritarianism. Pragmatically speaking nothing would really change of course. In fact, their material conditions might even improve.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

bedpan posted:

Usage: dormitories, temporary offices, workshop, school, hospital, toilet

warhammer dungeon

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Terper posted:

Except we're all on board with bringing in US weapons and building US bases and playing by US rules and saying poo poo like "oh it doesn't really matter to us if Trump becomes the next president, the US knows we're an important ally and they wouldn't do anything to endanger that :)"

Us finns are in fact desperate for big dicked american overlords to save us from scary evil Russia

yeah even this is a bit astounding, given the long list of 'great things America has done to its allies'

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
the english sinking the french fleet is exactly what sort of allyship you can expect out of uncle sam

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
given how hollowed out most institutions have become, hard to imagine its any different at the letter agencies

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
War on Drugs

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Justin Tyme posted:

You can go look at some Chinese city you've never even heard of in Google maps and it looks more impressive than any city in the US, it's insane to think the US is better than China at anything and if we are they're only 5-10 years behind catching up.

they already surpassed us, this is just the decade we realize its happened

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Speleothing posted:

Except in marijuana, it's still super duper illegal there instead of quasi - legal

so its still cool in China? seems like a plus ngl

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Griz posted:

if the feds ever actually legalize it they'll probably tack on another 30% tax which will drive everyone back to black market

they'll legalize at the fed level when we're spiraling hard bad they need the extra tax revenue

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Imo best western bullet hell flying game: raptor

Best Japanese: Raiden 2

Bear in mind Verhoeven had a vision of trying to show fascism that actually worked, unlike real life. It was a propaganda movie and in propaganda movies you have to show the system working like people imagine it to. Kinda like cop shows work irl.

raptor was my first vidya and started my decent into madness, A++ game

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Cadpat is pretty great. In lush green vegetation like the PNW or I assume most of habitable Canada.

It won't work in the desert

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
developed by the cia, manufactured in china

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Megamissen posted:

why did rum become the alcholic drink all the navies used?

lotta answers, but I'll add one more: rum is sweet and easy to drink, which is why you generally find sweet drinks as traditional ship hooches

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

what if you gave the Osprey another two engines on each wing to serve as a backup for the first pair

its time to make battletech vehicles a reality

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

quote:

Eight world records for altitude and speed were set by the Ka-22 in its class, none of which have since been broken.
:eyepop:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
staff secretly grateful he didn't get a pitbull

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

FuzzySlippers posted:

We're working on a big multi generational project in Seattle where we hope to be able to one day connect the city to its suburbs by train. We know we'll never live to see it but perhaps our children or, failing that, our children's children will be able to take a half hour train ride across the metro area :patriot: I had thought we were going to beat the project to connect LA to LV by passenger train that had been taking decades despite the fact that the cities are already connected by commercial trains, but someone told me they've finally started making progress and it might get done by 2030. What a scifi future of twenty thirty where you can take trains from one crappy hot rear end city to another.

Let's not forget about the lane expansion from JBLM to Tacoma WA, which took something like three decades

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I don't even know what to say, you know?

Been laughing at your reaction all evening

Gang, the news literally made not-ff speechless

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
"theories of victory"

the jokes make themselves

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

dk2m posted:

so I dunno if this is the right place to ask this or not, but I’m looking for some analysis of post-occupation Iraq and what happened from the stated neoliberal goals - all i know is the common retelling of the occupational government loving up and creating an insurgency, but what about its markets, government services, oil infrastructure, etc? how much penetration did American institutions have, and to what extent is Iraq today either a satellite or sovereign? maybe some smart people here can point me in the right direction

From family there, the ruling party and many of the institutions are considered to be in bed with Iran. I'm not sure of the politics of how this happened, but Iran has a much stronger influence there than the Americans.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hubbert posted:

and for everyone taking notes at home, the past two pages are why the us will lose ww3

this eventually connects to a prince of Rus listening to a witch, who tells him to create a land called Ukraine

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

this might be my fave post in a while

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sad I missed drilldogenes

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

It kills me that this is the narrative people have latched onto.

Can a T-62 not kill you just as dead?

I imagine this is some sort of commodity fetishism or something? Newer, more expensive, higher technology military equipment is imbued with a sort of virtue?

This, once again, makes me think about Podsmith and his setting, which for many of the silly things, was also forward looking: military fashion, corporate royalty, style over substance. If you go to war in 2024, do you want to be caught dead in last years tank model? Hell no. That's why we gotta demand early shipments of the Abrams Extreme FROZR VIX.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Chonchon posted:

is this an accurate portrait of the american liberal in yool 2024

how can someone be so belligerently stupid and okay with it

there isn't an outlet anymore if you're a lib in 2024 except to attack that which you don't agree with

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sound like we could find out relatively soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

lol I am terrified that covid 100% broke people's brains, especially people in charge, in how they think about these risks.

you think the people in charge have brains?