Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

That Spooky Witch posted:

i didn't realize pitbull was into the underage

Should have been obvious when the CIA got him on on their latest anti-cuba scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Wheeee posted:

we live in an era of unprecedented peace only in that most people don't comprehend the breadth of what constitutes violence

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I love this is what we have instead of healthcare, school textbooks, the ability to feed school kids, just a properly functioning society.

Just how much money wasted for this impractical as gently caress thing

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

those are Royal Marines lol

Oh lol never mind

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

It really makes me wonder how the US would have performed in NATO vs Warsaw Pact war (before it went nuclear and ended everything) like on the one hand that's the war they were training for and building all their equipment to fight. But on the other the assumption that the Soviets would only come through the Fulda Gap, the noisy obvious and expected place for them to storm through seems like we might have been in for a rude awakening (of course till the nukes fly)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

It would have probably still been a grisly fight, at that point NATO still had enough numbers to seriously disrupt any offensive. However, pretty much all Soviet planning was reactive in anticipation of a NATO first strike.

Maybe the Warsaw Pact could have pushed through sheer weight if of numbers but with heavy causalities.

To build off your point about the Gulf War, I remember how many friendly fire incidents there was of the A-10 just demolishing American forces, and can only imagine how much of a mess that would be over Germany. The US keeps getting these hints at how dysfunctional the military is and just keeps ignoring it, Vietnam, the Gulf War, the Bosnian wars, and The War on Terror (let alone how bad NATO performed in the Balkans and how Libya showed that the US is NATO cause Europe couldn't fight a war for two weeks. Of course assuming that wasn't the UK & France being full of poo poo to give the US an excuse to enter the war), which good let the rot of the empire destroy it.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Fulda Gap was the right place to anticipate confrontation with the Warsaw Pact for all sorts of geographical reasons. There's no way for instance that anybody was going to be doing amphibious exercises in the Arctic or the Pacific, without even knowing who could win the naval war. Central Asia was a non-starter because the terrain is too difficult for large scale operations. The rest of the "Iron curtain" in Europe wouldn't work for the same reasons. The relatively flat terrain of Northern Germany was the only way to go for a big conventional war.

It just smacks of this is the most obvious place for the Soviets to attack so it must be there, kind I'd like all the Nazis thinking oh no the Allied invasion has to come around Calais in France and oh Normandy must be a distraction, well into June 1944. The North German Plain is yeah the only way Soviet and NVA forces were going to cross into West Germany to fight the Brits, but America focusing exclusively on the Fulda gap in the South seems like maybe they picked the spot they wanted the Soviets to actually invade from and built every assumption around that without ever thinking that the a Soviets might not want to do what was so obviously expected of them. I'm sure NATO being loaded with the losers who got their poo poo wrecked by the Soviets didn't play into that at all

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Anywhere else the Soviets could've attacked would've been across mountains, and that's not happening. It's not like an Ardennes situation where the French thought it was literally impossible to drive tanks through the forest, it's that mountainous terrain is too defensible, and there's not enough room for maneuvering.

That's a fair point, going to be pretty tough to get a tank division over a mountain

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I'm pretty sure that was literally the plan for everyone NATO Solider in West Berlin, fight to the death for nothing

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, that might be a bit of an issue if you are fighting a power with an actual Air Force. (SHORAD is AA)

I guess they're going all in that the Airforce will be able to wipeout out the PLAAF

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, that if a bit of an issue considering the PLAAF is rapidly mirroring the capabilities of the USAF and at very least would deny the US air superiority (which would in turn neuter the US army’s offensive capabilities since they don’t really have any where the dedicated AA capabilities they need.)

Exactly, we're so convinced we'll always have sit superiority that we don't think that will ever not be the case, even though we saw in Afghanistan plenty of tomrs where air support just wasn't available. Which I guess good, it's no skin off my back that we're only capable of fighting wars if colonial expansion and not one against a peer. Which is funny because they keep saying we can't win these colonial wars because we've got an army for peer warfare

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Loins Led By Donkeys did an episode about it and how Army procurement practically sabotaged the M-16 in Vietnam because it didn't have wood furniture and wasn't the M-14, on top of all of the obvious corruption

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Loins Led by Donkeys would be a very different, way more offensive podcast.

Ha, probably less asinine stupid takes as well

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

they should just make a missile that shits out a huge rear end cloud of radar visible crap over miles and miles and have some normal rear end jets fly through it so the anti air cant target them

by they i mean the level designers at bandai namco project aces cause that would be a fun ac level.

Isn't that just dumping chaff? That's a World War Two guys dumping aluminium strips by hand out the side of the plane level of technology

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Even the USAF themselves expected their A-10 force to be attrited to nothing within a couple weeks should the Soviets have come through the Fulda Gap. Especially since the Soviets/Russia invested heavily in anti-air platforms.

Its really funny how flattening Iraq in '91 and then spending the next 30 yeara fighting wars against poor insurgencies just completely deluded us. Hell remember when the Serbians managed to shoot down a sealth bomber and our only excuse was, well we were dumb and lazy, it's not the planes fault. I imagine the second we go up against enemy with mid-90s Serbian competency in air defense we'll be screwed

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Danann posted:

crossposting from eurasia thread:

being good at fighting insurgencies means being bad at conventional fighting rip

We keep losing to those insurgencies.

I get the feeling that even if by some insane feat, we were able to reform the ground forces to fight a peer or near peer enemy. Capital has caused so much rot that you'll sell end up with useless poo poo not working that can't be fixed cause everything was privatized.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Palladium posted:

And that was 2011

looking good for the troops and their wet dreams of owning russia

Lol

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Funny you should mention that, x-posting myself from the Eurasia thread about that broke-brained thinking:

The real hilarious poo poo is proposals like using Iron Dome and CRAM so that enemy artillery can just be ignored. This came about because at a certain point they gave up on trying to find Taliban mortars so, much like covid, they looked for ways To Live With The Shelling. I read a bunch of Max Boot rear end papers about how because the CRAM radar can track and engage x shells a minute, as long as we had enough we’d be invincible. Even more after the hype for Iron Dome. Okay, so ignore for a minute it’s not 100% reliable or effective, then scale up for all the troops you’d need to protect in a conventional heavy NATO formation, scale up again for the size of the threat and the “plan” would cost…

Keep in mind Russian 122mm and 152mm shells cost between $200-400 CAD. I think a 122mm Grad rocket is fairly cheap but rockets aren’t my thing. I used to have exact prices of shells from their export catalogues but that I probably can’t shitpost.

So, we thumb through Publicly available NATO articles on contemporary Russian artillery doctrine, and we see the problem - that’s a lot of shells and rockets!

Unit cost for the land based Phalanx is ~$7M CAD, Iron Dome costs ~$63M CAD for a battery, per-interception cost is ~$190K per interception. Iron Dome needs to be reloaded after every 20 shots, which apparently takes a long time and is a source of embarrassment for the Israelis in the same way the Gulf War revealed Patriots take forever and a day to reload.

Without trying to crunch the numbers on the rate of fire of a gun artillery battery, a single Grad launcher has 40 tubes, so a battery of equivalent strength can quite literally just overwhelm any single Iron Dome Battery or CRAM, both would be dry while more than half the rounds were still in the air. That’s ignoring modernized launchers with more tubes, that some batteries have 6 launchers, and the Russians often fire by Battalion.

That’s not even getting into the Iron Dome or CRAM radars being able to track and engage that many targets, which I doubt and has never been established to match Israeli claims, and the rate of fire for the Grad being several times higher than Iron Done. Iron Dome would cost $3.8M CAD per 20 rockets fired at it.

Do you see what I mean? NATO has leaned so heavily on throwing money and technology at problems that we have papers being put out that propose spending millions of dollars to still get shelled, while claiming that constitutes invulnerability to the point where enemy shelling no longer has to be planned around. Just sign the country over to Rafael if that’s what you’re proposing because I gave up on trying to calculate costs for this post.

How did we get here? Because CRAM worked successfully on an extremely limited scale in Iraq and Afghanistan, and Iron Dome has also partially worked on an even more limited scale in Israel. Because people are unable to differentiate in their approach to Russia from that, it creates this broken thinking. It’s a sickness, really. Russia is just the GWOT but bigger, so we don’t need to change anything, just do more. This is weird Natsec Atlantic Council thinking because it doesn’t account for any military reality, only a change in setting.

It’s like - and I don’t know how to communicate this - these NATO hawks, at least the ones writing papers - literally can’t conceive of NATO troops being shelled. They know “NATO Must Confront Russia” but when they envision it, it’s no different from “ISAF Must Confront The Taliban” so they just transpose all of it.

They write papers on the Russian military, but none of their proposals suggest we change anything in response to that, if that makes sense. Like when Brown Moses counts Russian tanks in a Motor Rifle Regiment, I genuinely don’t think he sees them as something that threatens NATO. He sees targets for NATO airstrikes in the same way he counted tanks in Syria. It just means more sorties for F-35’s ,to fly unopposed, just like a massive Russian artillery park just means we “simply” need more Iron Domes.

So yeah, that’s a lot of words to say I’ve had to keep up with some of this stuff, and there’s this… gap? Maybe? Between evaluation and response, and I can see how it shapes the conversation, but I have no idea what the gently caress is going on in there. The Doctrine Papers don’t make sense, the Policy Papers don’t make sense, and whatever is causing that disconnect, where the first half is a reasonable evaluation of the situation and the second half is fantasyland poo poo, that is going to be a big problem because it shows that there’s this thing getting in the way of decision making.

It was this post, from that thread that got me thinking the rot has gone too deep. Especially since they're able to see the problems but come out with delusional solutions. Though I wonder also how much being this far down fascist hole the US & Israel being where their only solution is just one more Wünderwaffe

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

The Georgian Army getting rolled up somehow doesn’t reflect their US support, training and equipment. The Iraqi army losing Abrams outside Mosul is already forgotten. If the Ukrainians get trashed and US equipment underperforms, for whatever intervening reason, it won’t be absorbed even after it’s observed.

That's the power of ideology I guess. Americans have been fed these lines about invincibility and our pop culture and media is focused on reinforcing that both for foreign and domestic purposes. They'll show you every video of a T-72 getting it's top popped off, but not do everything they can to not show knocked out M1's outside of Mosul, or tanks flipped by an IED in Afghanistan.

Hell even our crushing technological superiority in the Gulf War was mostly a stage show, thing was a complete poo poo show and maybe more a testament to how badly Iraq had been drained by the Iran-Iraq war, but that has to be ignored to create the narrative of having the best equipment and besr trained troops ever.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Isn't the Bradley replacement even bigger than the Bradley. It sounds like they literarily did Pentagon Wars with that one

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

From what i can find there isn’t one anymore. Just cancellation after cancellation until they threw up their hands and said ‘uh we’ll replace everything including the m1 in 2035’

I must have missed that, they mentioned it on an episode of Well There's Your Problem last year. I didn't realize it had been cancelled

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Going to cross post this from the Ukraine War thread

I get the distinct feeling that the US is unprepared for an enemy that can actually shoot back, and bring the same level of firepower we do.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

holy hell that guy is a hawk. Jesus Christ looking back through his published articles.

Yeah that guy's a loving a psycho, as if he could be anything else besides when he's the war correspondent for a racist coffee company

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Fish of hemp posted:

Yes, that's Eurofighter.

Making modern fighter jet is hard.

Sure is when the main goal is grifting as much government money as possible and not building an effective plane

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, it’s come up before but the Independence class was suppose to get the “good one” that was suppose to stay since the Freedom class was simultaneously being built and then decommissioned.

Wait this isn't the LCS that also rots in seawater?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

this is the plan b to that

Breakfast All Day posted:

this one rots in seawater too. you might be confusing the new independence-class, which rots, and the new freedom-class, which rots, with the new zumwalt-class

which also rots

maybe you were thinking of the new ford-class

who only has problems with its elevators, electronics, piping, and mechanical systems rotting. the hull seems to be doing ok

Oh that's too funny words

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So the 4th Psyops group put an ad out for itself

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VA4e0NqyYMw&feature=youtu.be

I thought this poo poo was going to be a movie ad or something. loving insane

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Has anyone tried these digital ammo counter like in the rifles in Aliens? Right down to it being placed in a useless position?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Tanker brain rules

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Rutibex posted:

wow globalism is a bitch eh. I guess you can't actually blockade half a continent

Turns out sanctions are only useful against nations on the periphery, almost like its a colonial tool of punishment

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I remember that one Iraqi guy who shot down an Apache with an AK when the invasion was going on

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Filthy Hans posted:

don't forget the time an Iraqi in a Mig-25 Foxbat shot down an F/A-18 during the first gulf war, that was pretty lit

That I don't think I'd ever heard before

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Shows how thorough the propaganda was during my childhood that I haff never heard of this happening before.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pryor on Fire posted:

Let’s be real here, the Abrams is a super heavy tank and cannot cross any bridge in the USA without it collapsing.

Thats probably more an effect of how they're not maintained more than the weight of the Abrams

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pentagon Wars sequel lookin' good

Isn't this going on with the Bradley replacement right now anyway?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Big 1910- June 1914 vibes off that

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

A bunch of them swamped in Normandy.

Wasn't that cause the Sherman DD had that big canvas skirt up around it so it would just catch and fill with sea water?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Yes, and the weather on the American beaches was worse than expected, coupled with someone - it’s unclear who - ordering them to launch prematurely while too far off the beach. I forget if the landing craft were USN, USCG or RN, and it may have been an Army commander who told them to go early.

I remember American landing craft were piloted by the Coast Guard

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Will these too dissolve in sea water?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

That would be just one of what I seem to remember were several incidents of German passenger cars getting run over in II Corps.

I don’t know how Korea and Okinawa put up with it for so long.

Massive State repression of anyone that doesn't like being at the whims of an 18 year old US marine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

how does Top Medic work

Ukrainian Top Medic is about how best to cover up your tattoos in a Russian POW camp