Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
what's funny to me is how despite outgunning ukraine 10:1, russia has barely even used their airforce in this conflict, because even at that disparity, SAM launchers will immediately gently caress your day up

but now people want ukraine to fly f16s over the same front lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Danann posted:

not a sub guy but i don't think they're supposed to have rust on them

outer hull being a bit rusty is mostly a non-issue but it does both paint a funny picture about the "richest country in the world" and have the crew wonder what shape the pressure hull is in i bet :v:

Truga has issued a correction as of 20:44 on Jul 26, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Delta-Wye posted:

carrier strike groups are a loving scam

there were stupidly good in the short time between planes outranging the biggest battleships and cruise missiles appearing, but usa has yet to go against a state with the latter so they'll keep using them until they run out of paint money

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The Oldest Man posted:

Sure. Against low earth orbit targets, like ~800-100 miles altitude. Geosynchronous orbit is at 22,236 miles. Could you design a weapon to hit a satellite at that altitude? Sure. Is the US going to do that successfully in the next couple of years? Press X to doubt.

if they can launch geosync satellites, they can also destroy them by launching an iron ball collider into the same orbit to intercept it, shooting down satellites isn't an issue of capability, but an issue of space trash. you *really* don't want tons and tons of random debris in the geosync orbit, and any satellite kills are going to provoke a response

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The Oldest Man posted:

This requires giving Lockheed Martin or someone money though and then hoping you get a functional weapons system out of the other end before the war is over so good luck with that

there's no need for a weapon system, you launch the same rocket with the same payload as every time you're launching a satellite, but instead of the "satellite" having a bunch of sollar arrays and antennae it's just the rocket bit (said ball of iron) that collides with the target, destroying it e: hell in a pinch you can just launch one of the normal satellites being scheduled for launch, it's gonna collide all the same

america has had this capability for like 60 years, but if they tried using it, so has russia, china, india, etc, and as soon the first satellite is destroyed, all the others will be too in short order, which creates the problem of all the interesting orbits being full of untrackable loose nuts and bolts flying around at stupid speeds forevermore. it's not going to be used outside like last ditch attempts, but at that point nukes are also in the game so who cares

Truga has issued a correction as of 18:10 on Aug 24, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

Which is also juxtaposed to the US where we lost and decided our military was perfect, no notes.
look, the other side cheated, they didn't follow the rules based international combat order

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Free! being an actual field owns, ngl

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
semi-submersible is short for a semi-automatic submersible

it works on the same principle as the semi-automatic pickaxe

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Every ship is submersible

Once

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
IMO it's been at least 150 years since english (simplified) could have manifested itself, but the aristocracy has never been overthrown in the anglo world, and aristocracy holds onto power exclusively through tradition so they cling to anything and everything traditional

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
my language has 2-5 plural forms, depending on definition, it owns

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
english is a language you can pick up over a couple months of listening to poo poo with subtitles

english spellan on the other hand, is a loving nightmare. not as nightmare as traditional chinese characters, but it's up there

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dawncloack posted:

Have you guys read that quote about the English language chasing other languages down a dark alley to beat them and raffle their pockets for words? It's true.
not that english is the only language that does this, but yeah i'd not be at all surprised if you told me half the words in the english language are "imported" :v:

on your point about having a ton of different words for the "same" thing like abortion vs miscarriage.... that's a little more complicated and usually goes both ways, it just depends on the languages you're talking about

a thing i'm pretty sure english doesn't do is, my first language has completely separate words for picking fruit depending on if the tree is yours or not lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

As you burn the last copy and slump down in the shattered ruins of a dead city inhabited only by ghosts for your final rest at long last you hear a single pair of boots crunch gravel and broken glass as they get closer. Looking up you see a man in an immaculate 3 piece double breasted suit and a bowler hat. In his hand he brandishes a copy of "how language works" by David Crystal, published by penguin books. Your arms are too weak to raise your shotgun loaded with nails and ball bearings. As your vision fades for the last time the stranger's final words haunt you. "Let's talk about sentence construction."

lmfao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

bedpan posted:

"do you play war thunder" is going to be an automatic disqualifier for security clearances

would probably make the playerbase way less toxic!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean it couldn't have made it far, an F-35 has, what, 15 minutes of fuel?

unironically just about the only good thing they managed to do with f-35 is that it has some supercruise capability, once it gets to mach 1.2 it can turn off the afterburner and will stay at 1.2 for a long time

not as impressive as a concorde, but still a pretty good achievement for post-2000s lockheed i bet

so really, it could be loving anywhere lmfao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX posted:

Toyota is the only effective and efficient arms manufacturer in the West

japan is pretty far east tho

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

As the globe is round I think you'll find Japan is actually to the West in this case.

All depends on the spin, which is also round.

you can't just cross datelines like that, your f35 will crash into the ocean

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Bates posted:

hm I wonder who produces most of the world's steel now

it's nbd, we got this

the covid pandemic blurb is very funny

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FirstnameLastname posted:

microsoft still backs tons of stuff up on tape

I'm pretty sure a lot of big companies still do bc it's stable

everyone uses tape for backups because it's cheap, reliable, effectively infinitely overwritable, and doesn't literally rot from inside out like optical media

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

I'm loving this new angle of propaganda war that says one party in a war just isn't permitted attack the other. Like with Russia insisting Ukraine isn't allowed do attacks inside Russia because that's against the da roolz. Are you at war or are you not?
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're refering to as War, is in fact, a SMO, or as I've recently taken to calling it, a Special Military Operation.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
so are bananas

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
men will literally start a circus troupe instead of going to dancing lessons

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

The Crimson Permanent Assurance.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
pairing my powerpoint clicker with the laptop and it explodes the room because i forgot to unpair the howitzer

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
multiverse brain: coronavirus started in italy and it wasn't discovered until it got to wuhan

:v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

when he's right he's right

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol
one of the uprising day ceremonies i attended, likely in 2005 (60 years since the war, so it was the last big event with many of the survivors still present), this ancient ex-partisan was talking about how we must take care that the MIC doesn't take control over our lives and country because in this new liberal world order only money talks and the industrial waging of genocidal wars is insanely profitable

i was fresh outta high school so i didn't get some of the things he was saying yet, but it still left a strong impression on me because even in high school i could see through the bullshit that was the response to 9/11 and also the then brand new right wing govt which immediately started doing arms deals

these days i remember that guy sometimes, and wonder what he'd have to say if he lived to see the absolute loving state of post-2020 military boondoggle industrial complex. monstrous and insane in its goals, but at the same time increasingly self-sabotaging lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
a few good guns

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I like the incredibly optimistic fire water bucket

tbf, if something starts burning and you aren't able to put it out with that bucket, it's probably beyond the point of no return :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
what i love most about all this is that these people *know* the material reality of.. well, reality. they see the reports, they know the numbers because their ~bottom line~ depends on them

but they can't imagine a world where the answer is not just "more neoliberalism will fix this"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pistol_Pete posted:

Just read an article where the guy KIND of gets it in that he's realised that faffing around trying to create hi-tech wonder weapons is an expensive distraction that doesn't actually win wars. But he doesn't then go on to argue for the West building up its productive military manufacturing capacity like Russia has; he suggests that the solution is to buy large amounts of standard equipment 'off the shelf' and ship it to Ukraine. He seems to think that arms manufacturers just have thousands of tanks and jets and artillery pieces sat round in warehouses, waiting for someone to come along and buy them.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/12/09/putin-russia-war-economy-an-existential-threat-to-europe/

amazing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
tbf, german military machine being a funny joke is probably the best news a europe can hope for. hopefully all the other military machines of the world soon follow it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
on one hand, space flight is really loving hard and finnicky so it's not surprising when missions fail

on the other hand, nasa put a man on the moon 55 years ago and only killed 3 astronauts in the process

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

same voice actor as Dyson Sphere Program

holy poo poo lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, conventional AAA got retired, replaced by bespoke SAM launchers that have 4 missiles ready to launch on a good day, because modern air threat is supposed to be $billion dollar stealth jets and $million dollar reaper drones or patriot missiles

except oops, people are now building rockets out of kitchen supplies and you can get long range drones in bulk from alibaba. lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i dunno as much about other stuff but i read a ton about airplanes and it's quite stark how much of a break in doctrine post-korea wars are

late-war ww1 airplanes cost 100-300k, and could be built in a shed, resulting in thousands upon thousands of planes joining the war effort, despite there not even being an air force when the whole thing started just 4 years earlier

then ww2 happened and the stakes got real high, but even as the best late war planes like a mustang or spitfire were being procured at 400-800k, they were still producing several thousand per year.

then cold war happened and MIC took control of the wheel and poo poo went off the rails. by the time vietnam war was on, the stupidity was already showing. the great new imperialist toy was the F-4, which cost $20+ million. despite this, it lacked a basic gun, leading to decreased combat efficiency. it was added at the insistence of pilots, but newer models would take over a year to start appearing on the battlefield iirc

in contrast, it's not known exactly how much a 60s mig-21 cost because communist mode of production and all that, but were said to be cheaper to crank out than BMP-1. a brand new 1980s J-7 (chinese mig-21 variant) apparently went for 4-6million, still 4-5 times cheaper than a 1960s F-4, lmao

all the numbers above are in 2024 dollars

these days, everyone with big money seems to be masturbating about expensive ~stealth~ boondoggles like su-57 and f-35, while the likely winners of future wars are cranking out millions of cheap missiles and other drones. because at the end of the day, with satellites taking over the high altitude recon role and drones taking over the low alt one, an air force is really just a very long range direct fire artillery branch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

They should invent a plane that can take off vertically