Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'm really looking forward to the time when Chinese sanctions mean vastly more than American ones. 20 years or so I reckon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Doesn't America do two types of sanctions, one where anything to do with a country is sanctioned and another where they target specific people or companies? If China refuses to do business with narrowly targeted groups and their associates I can see it working. Whether they continue their general policy of preferring the carrot to the stick when they are top dog remains to be seen.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Hacking chat has me wondering how vulnerable things like the Chinese power grid are. I'm willing to bet much less than the American one.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'm thinking between the liberals and the neo-cons America might be able to swing a draft. It'd probably work if they barely enforced it like with Vietnam.

They drafted 2.2 million dudes during Vietnam and

"during the Vietnam era, approximately 570,000 young men were classified as draft offenders,[3] and approximately 210,000 were formally accused of draft violations;[6][3] however, only 8,750 were convicted and only 3,250 were jailed."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_evasion_in_the_Vietnam_War

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, I don’t see a lot of enthusiasm coming from the population even if they are being blasted by propaganda. Living standards and life expectancy are already rapidly declining and cutting off trade with most of Asia isn’t going to help things. I could see regular units being held in reserve to back the NG domestically.

That said, I don’t want to go as far as say true US is toothless. The USN even if it is aging and overstretched can still inflict damage and the show isn’t over until the USD collapses. Also, if anyone has been paying attention, it is clear that the US has been conducting a gladio 2.0 in the EU.

Hmmm maybe. Americans seem pretty stupid though.
Let's examine some potential propaganda.
Covid is China's fault.
So is the fall in living standards.
Remember the massive prosperity after WW2?
Gulf of Tonkin crossed with Pearl Harbor aka 9.11 v2.

It's that last one that I think would really galvanize popular opinion.

That said I don't think the ruling class actually wants this war but what do I know?

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

indigi posted:

and even Iraq 2 went so poorly it led to ISIS

Which destabilized Syria so working as intended imo.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
To me, a dumb foreigner, the US military seems like it has pretty distinct political tendencies. How many service members reject both major political parties? Seems to me 99% of troops are wholehearted supporters of Americanism.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Active duty personnel are just as likely to support Ron Paul or Bernie Sanders as much as any explicitly belligerent imperialist - in much greater proportions than the general public. Even if it's only because they don't want to die themselves, they're a lot more anti-war than the average American. Military members having their own personal politics doesn't equate to the military itself having a politics. It's structured to be an instrument of the American government and nothing more.

Yeah my point is that the American government is pretty unidirectional. It's pure neoliberalism and even those two outliers you mentioned if you dial down on their policies in practice are neoliberals.

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

There is a feedback loop between the MIC (military industrial complex)and hollywood that has made “operator worship” a thing.

1. With the end of the draft and the fact that the US hasn’t fought a conventional force since Korea, the Us has needed to switch away from relying on grunts to relying on special forces, who are willing to do the random violence and torture needed to suppress an insurgent population.

Offhand, the NVA, Iraq times two, the Balkans intervention.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Imagine naming anything after Gerald Ford.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Does China really need carriers anyway? Can't they just use land based aircraft?

E: seems to me China's biggest weakness is oil imports. Here's the top source countries for oil imports in 2020.

Saudi Arabia: US$28.1 billion (15.9% of China’s crude oil imports)
Russia: $27.3 billion (15.5%)
Iraq: $19.2 billion (10.9%)
Angola: $13.91 billion (7.9%)
Brazil: $13.9 billion (7.9%)
Oman: $12.8 billion (7.3%)
United Arab Emirates: $9.7 billion (5.5%)
Kuwait: $9 billion (5.1%)
United States: $6.3 billion (3.6%)
Norway: $4.3 billion (2.4%)
Malaysia: $3.7 billion (2.1%)
Colombia: $3.5 billion (2%)
Congo: $3 billion (1.7%)
United Kingdom: $2.2 billion (1.2%)
Gabon: $2.1 billion (1.2%)

Weka has issued a correction as of 02:20 on Jan 21, 2022

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Chinese nuclear submarines are useful for atleast a couple reasons. There's ballistic missile subs which are a pretty poo poo hot nuclear deterrent. And long range subs are good for commerce raiding and making your enemies spend more on convoy etc protection than you're spending on loving with them.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I thought Crimea had been having water shortages and securing a land route would help there. Not that I'm suggesting it will happen.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

HonorableTB posted:

There is no diplomacy that can reach a dead end because there has been no good faith diplomatic effort by putin, only issuing impossible demands while an army is on the border ready to invade. That's not diplomacy. That's armed extortion on a nation-state scale.

American style diplomacy.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Finally my catapult based transportation network can shine.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Lol that looks like a really fun way to play that game.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

i say swears online posted:

not joining NATO is an impossible demand

Ukraine is never getting into NATO.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
If nato lets Ukraine in, they have to go to war with Russia because Russia is occupying parts of de jure Ukraine.

Edit: /\ if unanimously voted for by member states.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Tankbuster posted:

Burgers had to fund those cattle ranchers goatherds with billions in equipment and with the active collusion of every neighbouring state (Including the PRC lol). The US lost to them for FREE.

gently caress, I found out cattle just means cows.

Politifact rated this: pants on fire
The Taliban was funded by outside players to the tune of almost a quarter billion a year, OVER half a percent of the aid to the mujahideen during the Soviet invasion.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Say what you will about the British empire, atleast they knew you invaded places for the food.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

that’s the amazing thing to me.

anyone with a naval architecture or marine engineering background would be screaming about this. so the navy had to have forced it over loud complaints.

Who, the shipbuilders that will now be paid more money to fix the problem?

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

THE BAR posted:

I assume they've had shipwrights in Bayern for a while, since Bavaria Yachtbau is still a thing.

Founded in 1978 and they seem to make the sort of yachts you can make in your backyard.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'm glad Canada is bad at military procurement because I welcome America and all it's running lapdogs losing WW3.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Frosted Flake posted:

It’s more that we are uniquely susceptible to diplomatic pressure

Doesn't the Canadian government keep getting sued by arms manufacturers to redo arms selection procedures? In a properly functioning state the government just buys whatever arms it chooses.

In other news, the USN wants to scrap it's Ticonderoga class cruisers and use Arleigh Burkes in their role. The former can reach Taiwan from Hawaii without refueling while the later cannot. Just completely psychologically unprepared for a war with anything approaching a peer because they've never fought one.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/navy-plans-to-rid-itself-of-cruisers-in-just-five-years

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
See my comment about facing a peer in a war. Heck even counting on Hawaii as a refueling station seems doubtful.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Maybe 100 years ago, grandpa.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

all those PREPOs can unrep. the range thing isn’t as bad as it seems.

Seems like the ability to do that might get pretty quickly degraded in a shooting war.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Battleships are tanks, missile destroyers are tank destroyers.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

what nations navy is going to do that in the middle of the pacific?

edit to be more clear I really don’t disagree that this is not a problem actually. it’s just everybody else’s lack of bluewater capability

China has 58 attack submarines. The export version of the diesel electric type 039a has a range of 8000 nautical miles.

E: 3 type 039c subs supposed to hit the slips this year. Apparently
"The U.S. DoD projects a total of 42 Yuans by 2025, excluding export models. If so, around 20-25 may be the new version."
http://www.hisutton.com/Chinese-Type-039C-Yuan-Class-Submarine.html

That's a lot of capacity to churn out a type of submarine America doesn't seem to have an answer for.

Weka has issued a correction as of 08:02 on Apr 28, 2022

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
That remains to be seen. Air launched missiles are a thing and if you can sit your carrier way back and fly a relatively cheap plane forward to launch your missile then I can see them being useful as a stand off tool.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Or a drone.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'd say it's more a failure to invest in domestic semiconductor production.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I bet you could put quite a lot of missiles on a 100 ton trimaran.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

100 tons would be either GT or NT there a volume not carrying capacity or displacement.

According to global times it's a 200 ton displacement but I'm sceptical.
https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202206/1267719.shtml

The Sea Hunter, the American ship it's a copy of, has a loaded displacement of 145 tons. For comparison, a type 22 missile boat has a loaded displacement of 220 tons and carries 8 anti ship missiles.

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, an 4000-5000 ton arsenal ship that is pretty much just radar/aa/VLS cells would be a pretty mean prospect.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_054A_frigate

1 × 32-cell VLS
-HQ-16 SAM
-Yu-8 anti submarine rocket launcher
2 × 4 YJ-83 anti-ship missiles
1 × PJ26 76 mm dual purpose gun
2 × Type 730 7-barrel 30 mm CIWS guns or Type 1130
2 × 3 324mm Yu-7 ASW torpedo launchers
2 × 6 Type 87 240mm anti-submarine rocket launcher (36 rockets carried)
2 × Type 726-4 18-tube decoy rocket launchers

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Retromancer posted:

Fighter pilots have a lot of old school romanticism surrounding them. They're basically the closest thing to a Medieval knight that still exists in the modern day, even if actual dogfighting hasn't really been a thing for like 60 years. The idea of it is so seductive that we have to reach for reasons why we would still need these guys instead of just putting a robot in the air or flying them with xbox controllers.

I'm expecting China to just hack every drone in sight if it does come to WW3 so I guess atleast if the plane has a pilot all they can do is make it order spare parts.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Danann posted:

https://www.defensenews.com/land/2022/06/28/us-army-unveils-contract-to-build-new-light-tank-for-infantry-forces/

i think this is the 120mm version that's going to be built either way there's a new light tank for the usa war thunder tech tree now

Conveniently sized for Soviet bridges.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Let’s be real here, the Abrams is a super heavy tank and cannot cross any bridge in the USA without it collapsing.

Fat American hamburger tank

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The army is lowering recruitment standards. When Russia did this recently it meant they were in deep trouble.

https://www.military.com/daily-news...GqEcWb2PBo59yyw

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

cat botherer posted:

China has had an operational hypersonic weapon in that same class since 2019. But we still have better technology right guys?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DF-ZF

America had the hypersonic Pershing II in the eighties. America is worse at making weapons than it was 40 years ago.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Ardennes posted:

Yeah it is unclear how this thing is supposed to work out. I don’t know how light tanks are suppose to work with US doctrine since these things are going to be too heavy to airdrop, too lightly armored for a peer conflict, and too much for low intensity.

(Any relatively modern ATGM can take it out, there is no way to properly armor it considering its size/weight.)

I think airdrops are not so popular doctrinally in the USA army and you can still fit two in a globemaster. Isn't the main defense against modern ATGMs reactive armour? And moving forward stuff like the Israeli trophy?

Anyway, they are probably buying these under pressure from the medical industry which stands to lose a lot of money from these new rifles with suppressors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Iirc the dingo dickers are planning on doing atleast some of the construction of the later subs.