Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
It reminds me of that old EVE saying , I think from Goonswarm " My ships cost less than your bullets".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

Was it the inane Daily Show book that had a joke panel about the US streamlining the defence budget by just throwing money in a volcano?

The MIC has made defence worse even though it costs more money. I don't know how better to convey that to normal people. People on C-SPAM get it without a second thought, so idk what it is that makes it hard for regular degular office workers.

You could be thinking of this Onion sketch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnX-D4kkPOQ. Or maybe lots of people did sketchs about the US throwing money down the drain.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

TeenageArchipelago posted:

e: at what point does this become a world war?

I think it's gonna take a carrier getting done in for the newspapers to call it. Future historians would probably say that it either started with Russia's invasion of Ukraine, or October 7th tho

Scallop Eyes has issued a correction as of 05:01 on Jan 16, 2024

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

stephenthinkpad posted:

Has anyone made a study on the phenomenon of using cheap civilian graded weapons to suck up the expensive and limited ammo of air defense system?

We have the homebrew hamas unguided rockets that can use up the 10x more expensive Iron Dome defense. And then Ansar Allah uses their anti ship missiles to suck up the missiles defense rocket on the navy ships. Ansar Allah probably doesn't even need to use real missiles, they can just strap a dji control module on the largest model plane they can find in the hobbyist shop, program a roundtrip course and send it out on the red sea, the US aegis ship will shoot it down with its precious surface-to-air missile. Surely they will use up the defensive missile in a matter of weeks? What's this tactic called?

The Goonswarm special

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

FirstnameLastname posted:

i made that model lol it was mostly just collectivism for goons
afaik every major group still does it with their whateversite majority bc can't compete otherwise
before that the powergroup was elite rentseeking fasc organized connected nobility-superwarriors and pay-mercenary armies with lots of expensive stuff that wasn't economical in a free market economy, hmm, lot of parallels, almost as if under similar enough material and economic conditions even digital imaginary ones with human actors this outcome might be inevitable

EVE online was already a very good case study for how economies work, big lmao if it also becomes one for wars/militaries

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

It's a good thing history began yesterday, or I'd be extremely loving embarrassed

Quoting for the future, those books seem pretty interesting.

The Voice of Labor posted:

so after the suez canal and crimea are expropriated, what's going to be the next shipping route conflict, south africa or greenland after the icecaps melt?

Realistically, it would be South Africa as retaliation for the ICJ case against Israel, however considering everything going on, I'm going for the longshot on Panama because it would be the worst for the US.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
How long until that bridge is replaced/fixed (if it is at all, lol)

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
FF's gonna have an aneurysm reading that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Proust Malone posted:

The other larger issue in land war is to take and hold things. Looking at the war from a resource perspective, it was fought by the Axis who had very little oil, against the Allies who had shitloads of it. The Pacific war against the US was precipitated by the US embargoing oil, and the first thing they did after Pearl was make a beeline to the DEI and the oil there.

Same deal on the Eastern Front. When the initial drive to Moscow stalled and it looked like the USSR wasn't going to totter and fall apart, the second year goal was Baku and oil. Once Baku was defended, the war was decided.

In Wages of Destruction, Adam Tooze hammers again and again how starved for oil,coal,food and steel Germany was, and how that determined their strategic moves in the war. Saying that land battles were fought over places of no great strategic importance is insane when food rations were getting cut and the whole Werhmacht was infighting over who gets the bigger steel rations.