Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Rutibex posted:

if there are people on it anyway why not use a steering wheel.

I'm never riding a remote controlled vehicle that's terrifying and pointless

Because it was doing sea trials and they were probably there in case something went wrong. I assume they wouldn't be there when it's actually operational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Delta-Wye posted:

215 new missiles sounds like a lot to an idiot who can't count, and raytheon is happy to sell absolutely abysmal numbers of arms for all our budget

It’s probably the minimum number required to keep the production line open for another year and that’s the only purpose of the contract.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Relevant Tangent posted:

covid was a generational crisis

*is

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Why does New Zealand have a space chief.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

indigi posted:

part of the problem is they don't really believe they will die in a nuclear war because super missile shield -> first strike will overwhelm them anyway -> their missiles aren't reliable anyway -> I don't live in military target anyway -> I'll just go to the basement/subway anyway

I dunno, do you remember on 9/11 when every single person was convinced that their town was next to get hit? If they had a base it was because of that. If they didn't have a base it was because of some company in town being important for reasons. If they didn't have that it was because of being at an important crossroads or some poo poo. And it kept going down the list. I feel like that same energy would exist if the missiles started flying.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Flag creep is a very real problem in the military, there are always more flag officers than the organizational structure actually needs.

Tommy Tuberville is on the case.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

stephenthinkpad posted:

Iran recently traded a bunch of Shahed drones for Russian Migs (35?) I think they are finally ready to move on and shut down any potential Topgun 3 story ideas.

Well duh we started a war with Iran at the end of Top Gun 2 so Top Gun 3 is going to have to be about Maverick volunteering for the Ukraine and shooting down a bunch of Russians that are attacking Snake Island.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Delta-Wye posted:

they're... they're going to burn the whole thing down on their way out, aren't they??

Only if they have enough agency to do so. Biden, Pelosi, McConnell, and most of the others still do for now but they are all gonna hold on until they’re Feinstein and don’t even remember that there is a big red button they could order someone to push.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BearsBearsBears posted:

Is there a term for that kind of sociopolitical wrangling? Where you make a lovely version of what people are clamoring for in order to suck the air out of a social or political movement. I think Obamacare would be another example, the democrats passed a health insurance reform law in order to quiet the calls for actual health care reform.

Sheepdogging.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

wasn't there an entire island in the UK that they turned into a completely uninhabitable wasteland from bombing it with chemical weapons as a test?

A little place called Great Britain.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Justin Tyme posted:

Not only will gps be jammed, the satellites will straight up be shot down. China's developing essentially TELs that can launch satellites, all they have to do is destroy Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg and we'd be absolutely hosed

If China destroyed launch sites on both coasts we’ve probably already gone nuclear anyway.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

16 year olds. Legendary for thier ability to make good decisions and resist honeypots.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Please do not doxx me like that.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

poisonpill posted:

Why is every branch so reticent to move to unmanned stuff? Like drones, robots, etc.? It seems like trying to make it so that it could either have a crew or be empty will get you the worst of both worlds and please don’t just say grift

I don’t think they are, there seems to be a huge amount of unmanned stuff already deployed and probably a bunch in development that we don’t know about yet. It just hasn’t started showing up in action movies much yet so it isn’t in the public consciousness for the most part.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Cerebral Bore posted:

the reasoning is most likely that if you just protect your own poo poo then ansar allah is content to leave you alone, but if you go along with an overt us operation then your poo poo is also fair game

Yeah as far as I am aware they are only targeting shipping either owned by Israelis or headed to an Israeli port and that’s only a fraction of the shipping that goes through that area. So everybody is telling the US to gently caress off and deal with thier own shipping (and that of the state that they are a vassal of) rather than get drawn in to it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Frosted Flake posted:

Yes, but not with your wife.

Glad to see that the old ‘put your hands behind you biceps and push them out so you look more jacked’ trick that high school athletes use is a 250 year old tradition.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I’m struggling to understand why he didn’t just delegate authority to a deputy like every normal person would do in that situation, even the kind of psycho that rises high enough in politics or the corporate ladder to be at his level.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Seems like overkill to send B-1s to anywhere other than Iran so lol if we’re gonna bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bar Crow posted:

24 Crashworthy Troop Seats

I was trying to come up with a good joke about that but nothing that comes to mind has been funnier than the plain text.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Prior to joining the DOD, he served as head of machine learning for the ride sharing platform Lyft.  

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Trapped in the building? No, non essential personnel sheltering on site.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
commanding officer of an aircraft carrier is high enough up the chain that it’s largely a political appointment, just Navy politics vs national politics. How is someone that cringe able to play internal politics well enough for that?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Promoting a cringe non threatening loser is a good way to make fighting for more senior appointments or winning policy arguments easier, since rather than the position being filled by a partisan of one camp or another, it’s filled with a zero. Or, they’re a gormless idiot that owes their position to you so you can count on their backing.

The Kamela Harris strategy.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
jet packs own who cares if they actually are worth anything to the military. If they are gonna waste a bunch of money of stupid poo poo give me jet packs and flying cars and poo poo instead of murder robots.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The only bunkers we hear about are the bunkers of people stupid enough to talk about having a bunker and anybody smart enough to have created a sustainable bunker probably is also smart enough not to talk to the press about it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Please do not doxx me like that. Thank you.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

so hows everyone doing to- :kstare:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The internet was a mistake.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

StashAugustine posted:

Lmao at paying worse than McDonalds and being harder work than Amazon

Also there's 100% chance those jobs require a security clearance as well so the pool of workers is limited and if you aren't paying people well why would they want to deal with that part of it when they could just work at McDonalds?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
There's a huge industry for adult learning MS and PhD options that are an outgrowth of what was put in place for MBAs the last few decades.

I'm getting an MS in Data Analytics right now from a Big Ten school because work will pay for it and the class content is mostly reasonable but the grading scale might as well not even exist. As long as you make an attempt and turn things in it's almost impossible to even get a B, much less anything lower.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Best Friends posted:

imagine working on a government wage for a solid 40 a week to produce a narrative about americas inevitable triumph and your boss is like no thanks I’ll just grab that narrative for free

Naw the whole point of open source intelligence is to launder that narrative that you spent 40 hours on through totally not CIA twitter accounts and poo poo and then your boss can produce reports that refer to the laundered narrative as if it wasn’t his own team that produced them.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

How the gently caress is Argentina eligible for NATO

NATO basically just means you're being folded in to the official American empire periphery rather than just being purely a resource colony at this point, I guess. Though that doesn't really work since Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and South Korea are all in that club and aren't in NATO.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Even if they demanded to have a space force they should been a sub-branch of the Navy like the marines are. Space ships are basically submarines, not airplanes.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Cerebral Bore posted:

we literally had a global pandemic that ended up killing millions not five years ago and the collective response from the western ruling class was to lie their asses off to justify doing nothing until reality forced them to halfass a response that was then rolled back as soon as possible

The fact that you are referring to it in the past tense is a large part of why the US will lose world war 3.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

atelier morgan posted:

it was a pandemic: an emergency situation that implies we should stop something that could destroy and kill an unfathomable amount of people

now it's just cancer 2: a routine danger that destroys and kills unfathomable amounts of people

We crossed a million deaths over two years ago and just stopped counting so it’s gonna be a million deaths forever. Because material reality doesn’t matter at the end of history.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

atelier morgan posted:

always got to account for relative water content gaming the price per unit weight on anything but the driest goods

The Zumwalt class is 35% water by weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Using PIZZA as my secret code word for meeting at the pizza place. Am I a CIA agent or a three year old?