Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Palladium posted:

lmao $200M each for 110m ferries, when 400m 23000 TEU cargo ships built in east asia are only ~$153M each in 2018

Don't worry, that same company's new Navy ship only holds 1 tank. lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

…. this is the wooden mock-up right

right??

It is the prototype, but even their badass renders look silly with their artisanal craft delivery.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Wait did they surrender to him while on a whoring excursion or did he go on a whoring excursion while theoretically guarding a regiment of POW's?

Based on FF's citations of British homosex I'm going to guess the regiment were the whores.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

My hometown is next to one of the few (or maybe only) still working US artillery schools

I did not realize people born in Lawton ever learned how to read. Congrats!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

DancingShade posted:

Let's outsource the nuclear deterrent next.

"With my patented Nukes as a Service..."
Cloud based nukes that do not violate international treaties!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

a lotta yall still dont get it

shell holders can use multiple slurp juices on a single shell

so if you have 1 HE shell and 3 slurp juices you can create 3 new shells

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

dta

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

big dong wanter posted:

Agreed, death to automatics
;-*

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Has anyone ever seen Anne Applebaum and Anne Widdecombe in the same place at the same time?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I really like reading Ian Welsh's stuff. I hope he's not a pedo or something.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

A fitting patch. As the saying goes, "The horse they never rode and the line they never crossed because they were yellow."

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/ed_fin/status/1741885452859187497

i can see the impending psychic damage from the grounding of the us airline industry here

What is pc in this context? Piece doesn't make sense and it seems unlikely to be percent.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Thanks! Weird that I've never seen it written that way in all these years.
Also, America will lose WW3 because no one living in America gives a poo poo about America past making a buck. I'm incredibly impressed with what I see China doing and I wish them all the best as there is no chance America or Americans will ever be part of the solution.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

That Politico article links to an NBC News article that says he was in the ICU those 4 days.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

lol at having your aides say you're working from home while you're unconscious in the ICU. double lol that he apparently approved a missile strike during that time.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

this thread is fun because all CSPAM threads are eventually relevant here

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Jel Shaker posted:

that thing is practically turning right angles, is that even possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCC_b5WHLX0

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

thank you neoliberals for ensuring tha tthe us will lose ww3

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Weka posted:

I think I've figure out what sort of rocks they're talking about

Oh yeah? What about the mighty nation of GRENADA!!!

Hey why not? There's certainly no instances in our history of human intervention preventing nuclear war over something dumb like a flock of geese being miss-identified as a nuclear attack.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

The US will lose WW3 because our CGI sucks now.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

The prequels are just better movies than the later films in general

I'm sorry to hear about your terrible opinion.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

SixteenShells posted:

Am I right in assuming nothing about the whole "we gave just about everything in our stockpile to Ukraine and Israel" situation has changed in the last few months? What the gently caress would the USA even wage a ware against Iran with, rocks and sticks?

I was in the army 20 years go, but we were using shells with 1940's lot numbers then. The US didn't give Ukraine everything it had or even close to it. Emptying stockpiles is for the dumber European countries.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

BearsBearsBears posted:

The US gave Ukraine just about its entire stock of HE shells.

I would be astonished if they did. Even the tiny base in Fairbanks I was stationed at had hundreds of thousands of HE shells. There was a huge issue with figuring out where to send all of our 105mm shells after we switched to 155mm with the Stryker Brigade conversion.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Hundreds of thousands of shells is like a couple weeks of fighting during this conflict.

Wikipedia says over 2m 155mm rounds from the US, that's a few bases worth. Granted, again, my info is from 20 years ago regarding the stockpile at a single small base in Alaska, but I would be astonished if the US was anywhere close to "out" of artillery rounds. The Ft. Sill ammo facilities are gargantuan.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Nix Panicus posted:

10,000 shells a day, 300,000 shells a month, 3.6 million shells a year

I think maybe you're not grasping the scale of industrial warfare, which, to be fair, is a problem most of the western world is having so you aren't alone

I completely understand that, but the US did not provide all of that, and they certainly did not provide all of the HE they had.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The larger point is that it doesn't matter if they provided literally all of it, they have the same problem of replacing any amount they gave away.

e: jfc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6hClRAOnzc

I guess my point is that the idea the US gave Ukraine all of our ammo is dumb, but I agree that we have no capacity to replace what has been given.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

I remember when I went home on leave and stopped in the dissembling recruiter's office to fax something he had lost a stripe lol.

The US military has a program called "recruiter assistance" where they take people fresh out of basic and send them back to their home town to help pitch the military with personal testimonials.

Even as a kid this always seemed sleazy, of course the guy who just did the 12 week indoctrination is gonna give a glowing review; let me hear from the salty nco missing both legs and an arm.

The army calls it "hometown recruiter". Ostensibly you work with the recruiters for 1 week going to local schools and telling the students how awesome the army is and then get 3 weeks of free vacation before heading to your first duty station. What happened to myself and everyone else I know is when you go to your first duty station after doing hometown recruiter they demand your original paperwork, immediately lose your paperwork, and then stick you in the hole for 3 weeks of vacation which takes a year to earn back. Welcome to the army, kid, Enjoy not taking any time off for over a year.
I was told to wear my uniform during hometown recruiter when we went to high schools, but got yelled at for wearing it when we went to the local community colleges. As if my street clothes would fool the students to our purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

the only wars the us has really won are against war ravaged euros or its own dumbest population