Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

lol I skipped like 2000 posts to post this.

fresh out of college my first job was at Boeing, in their BDS division, before I became completely disillusioned that America had any capacity to do anything but spread ruin and misery through the world and quit. Every project I worked on was over budget and behind schedule. they were all fat cost-plus contracts run so poorly it shocked even my fresh-out-of-school self.

beyond the graft and incompetence and complete incentive misalignment that is obvious in contracts that are effectively blank checks, there was this pervasive institutional rot throughout. back in the day, Boeing actually built poo poo, at least according to the old timers I worked with. but then they had the bright idea that they’d be “integrators” instead: be the head contractor, then split the contract up into tons of subcontracts, farm the work out, and put all the pieces together. so they bled themselves of talent and institutional knowledge. and now apparently they’re so loving stupid and withered that their c-suite thinks it’s a good idea to straight up admit that they’re incapable of delivering anything to the contractual timeline and budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

This also reminded me; I briefly worked for their commercial aircraft division. A lot of people had stickers on their backpacks and flight bags with the old “If it’s not Boeing, I’m not going!” slogan.

Nowadays when I travel I always make sure to check that I’m not gonna be on a 737-Max lol

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

sorry I didn’t mean to derail the tread with that anecdote, just provide a bit of personal flavor on how absolutely hollowed out Boeing is

Anyway, I’m sure the CEO’s faux pas in admitting the only way they’ve made money in their defense contracts was by low-balling the bids and then making bank on cost and schedule overruns will spark swift investigation into defense contractors’ governance and accountability lmao

dads friend steve has issued a correction as of 17:01 on Oct 26, 2023

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolynschwaar/2022/02/27/us-military-to-3d-print-its-way-out-of-supply-chain-woes/?sh=27e832c7275d

quote:

U.S. Military To 3D Print Its Way Out Of Supply Chain Woes

Keeping mission-critical supply chains running is nothing new to military operations. But when contracted manufacturing partners struggle to overcome pandemic-induced backlogs, raw materials are stuck in ports, and chip shortages halt production lines, the U.S. military turns to 3D printing to get essential parts and components.

Recently, the U.S. Navy released a plan to pair suppliers who cannot meet growing demand for submarine parts with 3D printing companies that can print the metal parts around the clock to boost supply.

According to Matt Sermon, executive director of Program Executive Office Strategic Submarines, this plan will help Navy contractors – many of whom are the sole sources of components to the Navy – by removing pressure as they struggle to keep up with the current workload.

Last week, the Department of Defense released its assessment of defense critical supply chains in response to President Biden’s 2021 Executive Order on America’s Supply Chains. The report recommends the military expand its use of 3D printing (also called “additive manufacturing”) as a key focus area and strategic enabler required for mission success.

3D printing spare parts is actually nothing new to the U.S. military. 3D printed parts are currently in critical aircraft engines, on tanks and submarines, and on the soldiers themselves.

In fact, the use of 3D printing in the U.S. military is now so widespread, the Department of Defense established an additive manufacturing strategy last year that outlines the technologies and applications it intends to fund and employ within all the branches. Its detailed 3D printing strategy calls for the military to use 3D printing to rapidly prototype and produce spare parts, and for use in the battlefield to produce "innovative solutions."

“Additive manufacturing offers DoD unprecedented supply chain agility while enabling our developers to sustain technological dominance for our Warfighters,” said Robert Gold, director of engineering enterprise at the Department of Defense.

Additive manufacturing enables the military to produce new products quickly and cost-effectively, on-demand and at the point of need, either at base, at sea, or on the frontlines. It bolsters the lifespan of legacy systems and vehicles that might otherwise be retired.

A few years back, Wichita State University in Kansas working with the U.S. Army took apart a Black Hawk helicopter piece by piece to 3D scan each component. The detailed 3D digital models now can be instantly and securely sent to any military 3D printer anywhere for 3D printing spare parts at a moment's notice.

The U.S. Military already, widely uses – or is experimenting with – 3D printing for everything from spare parts for fighter jets to concrete barracks for remote outposts.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is an avid user of 3D printing technology. Its VHA 3D Printing Network is responsible for coordinating the 3D printing initiatives in more than 33 VA facilities nationwide, producing pandemic PPE, custom prothesis, dental tools, and medical models.

The U.S. Marine Corps’ Advanced Manufacturing Operations Cell (AMOC) fulfills orders for additively manufactured parts from throughout the Marine Corps and develops 3D printable solutions that can then be sent to 3D printers in the field. Marines also learned how to 3D print a concrete bunker in just 36 hours that’s big enough to hide a truck-mounted multiple rocket launcher system.

The U.S. Army’s Rock Island Arsenal Additive Manufacturing Center of Excellence is just one of the locations housing the military's collection of 3D printing technology. A new additive manufacturing lab for metal parts is set to open at Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma City later this year. Rock Island recently announced it’s getting a second metal 3D printer from Australian manufacturer WarpSPEE3D, which uses a high-speed metal fabrication technology that can print tools and spare parts in a matter of hours. The 3D printing unit can be deployed to frontlines in a small container.

The ability to bring manufacturing to the frontlines significantly reduces the costs and time of shipping replacement parts from machine tooling hubs overseas. The DoD contracted with metal 3D printer manufacturer ExOne to develop a 40-ft long portable additive manufacturing unit to be deployed on land and sea.

The Army Research Laboratory is currently working on a way forward-deployed units can reduce supply chain dependence by using available plastic packaging materials as a feedstock for 3D printers that can then churn out a wide range of parts, tools, and supplies.

There’s no shortage of parts and products the U.S. Military needs to ensure are available when and where they’re needed. From 3D-printed spare Humvee door handles to 3D-printed submarine parts, the uses of 3D printing within the military are vast and growing, and perhaps a universal roadmap for building supply chain resilience.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

US Armory Department of Strategic Maker Spaces

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

love 2 spend 8 hours waiting for my widget to be 3D printed, then another 5 hours deburring and sanding it because the surface finish is dogshit.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Bar Crow posted:

Maybe efficiency can be improved with an app to sell 3D printer time on the open market.

With AWS Elastic Maker Family, you can take advantage of flexible pay-as-you-go pricing to reduce time-to-realization (TTR) while paying for only the material and machine time that you actually use. For predictable workloads, you can take advantage of Reserved Spaces. By pre-paying for your Elastic Maker Family shop time in 1-, 3-, and 5-year contract periods, you can realize up to 65% cost savings. And for jobs that can tolerate interruptions and be manufactured on a variety of machines, we also support Spot pricing. Now generally available in all regions and in AWS GovCloud.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Danann posted:

conclusion: slava taiwan chinese navy is destroyed and the invaders will become prisoners of war

very weird hobby to have

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

lodging all my hussies in poona ftw

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

boat looks like poo poo

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Scarabrae posted:

they let people in with full arm tattoos?!

only if they have at least one old-timey anchor in it

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

this poo poo confuses me. like why did she go? it looks like all she did was whine and arrogantly dictate to China that they’re Doing Something Wrong, and they ought to stop, and openly saying that it’s for our benefit and at their expense. like I have very low expectations of our ability to conduct diplomacy but this seems so insanely stupid. like, what does she think she accomplished here??

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

having one of the main physical embodiments of your military might sunk would absolutely bother people in power lol

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

It would be pretty wild to see a US SecDef hold a press conference to say “That looked awful for Israel. Just terrible. Lucky for them Iran was pulling its punches”

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Cookies and warm milk all around for the dedicated sailors of the USS Soy. job well done

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

submarine ownership is a lot of responsibility. it’s not for everyone, honestly if you think about it, we’re doing them a favor

lol

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

I’m glad the Canadian army guy has to melt his brain on inane Econ 101 horseshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

for a couple weeks right when COVID hit it was hard to get paper towels, at least where I am, and people were losing their poo poo. the ports were all hosed up for months. everything being just-in-time meant things were randomly out of stock and you didn’t know when they’d be back. people legitimately didn’t know how to function under the mildest of deprivation and that was when everyone wanted stuff to start flowing again.

the consequences of an actual war with China, hot or trade, would be unfathomable for a lot of people.