Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So there are matches everyone knows are bangers. Flair/Steamboat. Hart/Austin. Gargano/Almas. Okada/Omega. Those are worth discussing, but this is not the thread for those. This is the thread for those underrated gems that most people don't talk about or may not know about. Unexpected surprises, matches that get overshadowed by others on a show, good matches on a bad show, or even genuinely good matches that for whatever reason don't get enough rep.

:siren:THE RULES:siren:*

1. THIS IS A POSITIVE THREAD. So basically, don't be a dick. Particularly, if someone makes a contribution that isn't really your speed, don't come in and just be like 'DUDE THAT SUCKED". If someone liked it and you didn't, fine. But I want this thread to be an oasis of good vibes and like, a 3 star match you thought was fun is fine too. There's no need to overthink submissions. Conversely though, don't be a troll and like, posting an all time great match everyone's heard of or Jenna/Sharmell or whatever. That's not what this thread is for. Also please tell us why you like it! Whether it be background for the feud leading to the match that adds to it that someone unaware might not understand, favorite spots, whatever.
2. ALL PROMOTIONS WELCOME. WWE, WCW, ECW, NJPW, ROH, PWG, TNA, AAA, CMLL, CHIKARA, CZW, territory stuff, some indy almost no one's heard of (RIP MSW), it's all welcome. Post 'em if ya got em, baby. However, matches readily available on some sorta streaming platform are preferred. Paywall is fine enough, but like, it's gonna be pretty hard for anyone to enjoy some awesome match you have on an indy DVD from like 2004 in your house or something. Streaming platform doesn't matter, though. WWE Network, NJPW World, Honor Club, GWN, YouTube, whatever.
3. IF IT'S POSTED ON SAY, YOUTUBE, LINK THAT poo poo, FAM. I mean, same goes for anywhere honestly. So like if you wanted to post a direct link to a Network or NJPWW match, aces! That's helpful! But if it's in a curated streaming platform it should be easy enough to find, yeah? However, please put in parentheses what service it's on if it's not obvious. Like, anything WWE, WCW, ECW is pretty obviously gonna be on the Network for example, but some others might not be so obvious.
4. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T ARGUE TO MINUTE DETAIL ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT A MATCH BELONGS. This is kind an extension of rule 1 but like, if someone shares something in the thread, they liked it and wanted to share it with us, that's cool and we should appreciate that if nothing else. And they don't need to be like, super obscure or something. It could be the goddamn main event of a PPV as long as you feel like it's a lowkey banger.
5. BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER. If someone posted a rec you liked, let them know! Discuss stuff you thought was bitchin' in the matches! Keep the matches coming and the conversation flowing!

*not actually like, probationable rules unless J-Ru says so, though he's welcome to weigh in and enforce them if he likes. Otherwise please honor them out of respect for ya boi Foochs I guess.

I'll get the ball rolling with a couple recommendations!

Bray Wyatt vs. Ryback, WWE Payback 2015

So when I sat down to watch this PPV, I didn't remember this feud at all, and given the players and the placement on the card I expected literally nothing. But it's a really fun, low-midcard, more or less hoss-off. The general premise of the feud is that Bray is in the throes of his New Face Of Fear gimmick and Ryback is both hungry and without trepidation, I guess because he read The Secret one time. This match is a pretty cool reminder that Bray can be REALLY good, the crowd is crazy hot for both guys, Ryback more than holds his own, and there's...ACTUAL PSYCHOLOGY?! WHAT? Fun spots abound in this one. No idea why the guys went so balls-out for this nothing match but good on them!

Dean Ambrose vs. Triple H for the WWE Championship, WWE Roadblock, March 2016

The fallout from this match (read: WrestleMania) sucked rear end, but drat this match is fun. This was the last major flirt with Ambrose as Top Guy before it actually happened a few months later (LEAVE THE MEMORIES ALONE~) and it shows. Dean is CRAZY over, but actually, so's Trips. HHH gives Dean a LOT, and to this day I maintain it's the best of the three HHH vs. Shield Bro singles matches by a comfortable margin. It's honestly especially impressive when you consider how much the crowd buys into a couple of the false finishes (one in particular) given how much of a foregone conclusion the result was.

Share yours! Discuss! Let's post, watch, and talk about some good rasslin'!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That Ambrose/HHH match was great, but I seriously, legitimately 100% have no memory of the Ryback/Bray feud :stare:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what a great OP, with some good recommendations to start us off. i don't remember any matches after they happen, and am looking forward to frolicking in the secret garden of matches that people post. how about Batista and rey mysterio against jerishow from hell in a cell 2009. Now that's a good one, and i do not prefer The big show. But I did that time. here's the video of it that i could find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxDU02MOhmk

I hope everyone likes that and I hope there is a lot more to come

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

what a great OP, with some good recommendations to start us off. i don't remember any matches after they happen, and am looking forward to frolicking in the secret garden of matches that people post. how about Batista and rey mysterio against jerishow from hell in a cell 2009. Now that's a good one, and i do not prefer The big show. But I did that time. here's the video of it that i could find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxDU02MOhmk

I hope everyone likes that and I hope there is a lot more to come

I appreciate the soul of Cavauro in this post. :)

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Dean Ambrose vs. Triple H for the WWE Championship, WWE Roadblock, March 2016

The fallout from this match (read: WrestleMania) sucked rear end, but drat this match is fun. This was the last major flirt with Ambrose as Top Guy before it actually happened a few months later (LEAVE THE MEMORIES ALONE~) and it shows. Dean is CRAZY over, but actually, so's Trips. HHH gives Dean a LOT, and to this day I maintain it's the best of the three HHH vs. Shield Bro singles matches by a comfortable margin. It's honestly especially impressive when you consider how much the crowd buys into a couple of the false finishes (one in particular) given how much of a foregone conclusion the result was.
If I was, for some god forsaken reason, given one of those WWE Superstar Picks lists, this would definitely be on it. I love this match.

I've also repeated this and nobody cares but gently caress it: Ambrose should've won and made it a fatal four way at WM. Ambrose/Lesnar and HHH/Reigns were already set in stone. The four of them in one match would've been bananas/incredible.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

No Irish Need Imply posted:

If I was, for some god forsaken reason, given one of those WWE Superstar Picks lists, this would definitely be on it. I love this match.

I've also repeated this and nobody cares but gently caress it: Ambrose should've won and made it a fatal four way at WM. Ambrose/Lesnar and HHH/Reigns were already set in stone. The four of them in one match would've been bananas/incredible.

God knows I agree with you there dude. That match would have been the greatest panic looked clusterfuck probably of all time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:rip: JeriShow, too beautiful for this world.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

:rip: JeriShow, too beautiful for this world.

IT'S THE BIG SHOW

.....and Jericho!/

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Do you remember bash at the beach 1998 of wcw? it had that match where basketball players teamed up with wrestlers and karl malone did a diamond cutter. it had a big cruiserweight match as well featuring the cruiserweight title being defended in a pretty good feud. that feud was Chris Jericho against Rey Mysterio, two of the best wrestlers that ever lived, from the top 5,000 wrestlers. rey had won the championship that night in a pretty quick sprint.

but another Match on that card, the only best match on that whole card, was called juventud guerrera versus billy kidman. neither of them had the cruiserweight title, and billy kidman was a jobber during this time and kept scratching his body due to the drugs and so on. He was in Raven's Throng. i hope this match is on the WWE network. i don't have it and i cannot find the full match elsewhere. Ooh yeah

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

The Horsemen vs Barry Windham and the Hollywood Blondes. July 3, 1993. WCW Saturday Night

In looking at this thread and typing various wrestlers' names into youtube, I remembered how much I liked the Hollywood Blondes as a tag team and was wondering what a search for them would turn up and I got this. The interactions between Flair, Pillman, Austin and Double A are fantastic and so intense that I wonder if this match was part of a bigger feud between the Horsemen and the Blondes. Windham and Roma are good in their roles as well. Just a great knockdown, drag out 3 on 3 fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RS46MjU8hw

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

I'm not sure if this match is sufficiently underrated for this thread but it is good.
Bret "The Hitman" Hart vs The 1-2-3 Kid, RAW, July 11, 1994
I'd started watching wrestling about a month before this and this very good match blew my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_tO49Yu93s

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Back when we had the Random PPV Thread I pulled up TLC 2010, and on that show I got to see John Morrison vs Shaemus in a Ladder Match. It's really quite incredible and I recommend anyone with the network check it out.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I'm sure I've recommended it before, but Shinsuke Nakamura vs Kazushi Sakuraba from Wrestle Kingdom 7 was an incredible match that unfortunately got overshadowed by an even greater main event (Tanahashi vs Okada 3) directly afterwards. It has a great story behind it, both real and kayfabe, and doesn't overstay it's welcome, only running about 15 minutes. It's a great reminder how good Nakamura can be, dragging a broken down Sakuraba through his first singles match in over a decade. I love it so much.

https://rutube.ru/video/aa2b3a69f35fd97a42c1f89355ab930f/
The match is also available on youtube through NJPW's Thai page, but it's overdubbed. This one has the orginal commentary.

Another match I don't think gets the love it deserves is Zack Sabre Jr vs Chris Hero from PWG Mystery Vortex 3. Indie bully Hero takes on vicious fucker ZSJ before he started learning how to be a proper prick from Suzuki. It's on highspots, highly recommend it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

Back when we had the Random PPV Thread I pulled up TLC 2010, and on that show I got to see John Morrison vs Shaemus in a Ladder Match. It's really quite incredible and I recommend anyone with the network check it out.

The best part of these matches was that Morrison somehow read the script wrong and assumed HE was supposed to the Hoss, and it ruled.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MRT showed this a few months ago and god drat it's still surreal to me: Fly Star vs. Toxin in Mexa Wrestling. These two beat the absolute batshit out of one-another.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

So, I was very late to the ROH party. I got out of wrestling altogether in 2003 and didn't climb back in until 2009 and then only with WWE. When Sinclair purchased ROH, they had regular TV where I live and I happened to catch it one night in 2012 and got really into the product. I started attending a lot of ROH house shows in 2013. I raved about them when they happened but it wasn't exactly easy to see them back then if you weren't there, so I'm going to pinpoint a few matches that are available on Honor Club that I figure most people haven't seen but are actually quite good.

Michael Elgin vs. ACH - ROH Dragon's Reign

Elgin had just started coming into his own and ACH was still pretty new but already had good hype by this point. Right before intermission, they pulled out a loving awesome 20 minute match. The crowd was going bonkers shortly into the match. Plenty of back-and-forth action and the two of them worked together so well. To this day, I still think this is the best singles match ACH has ever had. It's put together really well and is expertly booked in that Elgin still got to look like a monster but ACH also gained a ton from it. Every time the match seemed like it was about to end, it heated back up. This was a legit MOTYC for 2013 for me.

Cedric Alexander vs. Davey Richards - ROH Live and Let Die

The Cedric Alexander break out party. He was obviously good but still had some green moments and hadn't really been more than a low card guy at this point. This was in 2013 so Davey still gave a poo poo and could seriously go. They put on a match that, while not as good as the one above, was still really fun and the first true showcase of what Cedric could do.

ACH vs. Davey Richards - ROH The Golden Dream

By this point in 2013, ACH was having stellar matches with everyone but was constantly losing. There was a lot of hype in the crowd that this might be one that he finally wins. The match starts kind of slow but it heats up a good deal by the end and the crowd is super into it and super into ACH.

Cedric Alexander & Caprice Coleman vs. Red Dragon - ROH Pursuit Night 2

Cedric and Caprice had been having a really fun string of matches but hadn't really done anything significant, almost entirely on Cedric's back. This match was built on them asking for the title shot by saying this would be their last one if they couldn't win it. Red Dragon was at their peak tag team powers here and Cedric and Caprice laid everything on the line. They pulled out every stop imaginable and worked it like they knew it might be the last match they had as a team. The crowd was super hot for this, every one of the four guys were on their A-game and it resulted in a really fantastic match that is criminally underseen.

Cedric Alexander vs. Michael Elgin - ROH Flyin High

Cedric's best ROH match. It's along the lines of the ACH-Elgin match. These guys worked their asses off for a really hot crowd. Total action, lots of nearfalls. Just a really tremendously fun match that shows off what both men are capable of at their best.

Chris Hero vs. AJ Styles - ROH Flyin High

Hero had recently been released from WWE and was returning home for his first big match in Dayton in quite a while. Styles was just turning into the NJPW champ level wrestler he is now. They worked a really hard hitting back and forth match that the crowd loved. The hometown hardcore fans were big into Hero and I remember there being lots of young kids who were big into Styles from TNA. Tremendous work here from both guys.

Cedric Alexander vs. Adam Cole - ROH TV Taping Wheeling

Another tremendous effort from Cedric. I wouldn't say it was as good as the other Cedric stuff listed here but they still had a phenomenal match with lots of nearfalls that got the crowd super hot. At this point, Cedric's potential was obvious to the fans and they really wanted to see him pushed farther but ROH never pulled the trigger. It's a shame because he could've been a huge babyface star for them and this match shows why.

AJ Styles vs. Matt Sydal - ROH TV Taping Wheeling

This was the reason most of these people were at the show. It was the first time ROH ran Wheeling and there were a ton of first time ROH attendees there. People knew Styles from TNA and Sydal from his time in WWE. This match is in the final hour of a four-hour TV taping and I remember it didn't even start until around 11 p.m. The crowd was fairly dead at that point but these two worked very hard and got everyone on their feet and going nuts by the end.

Jay Lethal vs. Hanson - ROH Survival of the Fittest 2014 Night 1

Lethal was TV champ and was just kicking off the best period of his career IMO. Hanson was still pretty new and to this point hadn't really had a big breakout performance. That changed here. Hanson had the best singles match I've ever seen him have and showed his full arsenal for the crowd. Tremendously entertaining match.

Matt Sydal vs. ACH - ROH Survival of the Fittest 2014 Night 1

This match is everything you would expect a match between ACH and Matt Sydal to be. Really awesome, entertaining match

ROH wasn't as hot during this period as it had been, but in retrospect it was a really loving great time for the company with a ton of good matches a lot of people don't know about so hopefully everyone enjoys these!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I forgot Hero is a Dayton native, that's awesome.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

BIg Show v. Braun Strowman on a RAW that one time

that poo poo was great my dude!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

That DICK! posted:

BIg Show v. Braun Strowman on a RAW that one time

that poo poo was great my dude!

Can you say specifically what Raw? I think I know what Raw you're talking about and I know finding specific weekly TV can be a pain but it'd be helpful. :)

It was the one with the huge ending spot, right?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
This probably is too high profile for this, but I really loved Cena vs. Punk on Raw where they had a crazy main event match with a WM spot on the line and Punk threw out a goddamn piledriver. It got a lot of love at the time, but I think it isn't super remembered since it wasn't for a title and it was on Raw and not a PPV. I'd also consider it unexpectedly good since although Punk and Cena had great chemistry so if you just see those names in a match you expect it to be good, it was a Raw match and you don't expect to see a 4*-ish match on any Raw, and they also gave it like all kinds of time so it really was a PPV quality match which you don't often get on Raw.

I'd maintain that it's underdiscussed since it was so drat good it should be brought up more often when people say Cena didn't put on great matches or that Raw is always terrible, but yeah this definitely isn't pulling a match from obscurity here since people heaped praise on it and I think lots of you will have heard about it or seen it already.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NowonSA posted:

This probably is too high profile for this, but I really loved Cena vs. Punk on Raw where they had a crazy main event match with a WM spot on the line and Punk threw out a goddamn piledriver. It got a lot of love at the time, but I think it isn't super remembered since it wasn't for a title and it was on Raw and not a PPV. I'd also consider it unexpectedly good since although Punk and Cena had great chemistry so if you just see those names in a match you expect it to be good, it was a Raw match and you don't expect to see a 4*-ish match on any Raw, and they also gave it like all kinds of time so it really was a PPV quality match which you don't often get on Raw.

I'd maintain that it's underdiscussed since it was so drat good it should be brought up more often when people say Cena didn't put on great matches or that Raw is always terrible, but yeah this definitely isn't pulling a match from obscurity here since people heaped praise on it and I think lots of you will have heard about it or seen it already.

Nah, that definitely fits this thread. It's a great match everyone agrees is great but it also often gets overshadowed by the MITB match and almost never gets discussed. :) Which Raw was that? Probably February or March 2013 something I think?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Daniel Bryan vs Batista from RAW May 3rd, 2010.

This is only a 5 minute match, and Bryan loses because this was when NXT was a lovely gameshow where he lost everything and we were constantly reminded that he was a loser who couldn't win a match if his life depended on it.

But this was a match I absolutely loved at the time and, rewatching it, it's still pretty fun. Batista was in full world-beater mode, having just lost to Cena in that Last Man Standing Match with the duct tape finish. Daniel Bryan was a stupid dumb loser and we were dumb for liking him or hoping he won.

And within 10 seconds of the match starting Bryan counters the Batista Bomb into a pin and then puts Batista into an ankle lock.

The whole match is a lot of back and forth stuff, Bryan keeps countering moves and withstanding everything Batista can throw at him. I was not a fan of Batista at the time, but he does a really good job of selling this mix of outright shock, anger, and pain at the fact that he can't put Bryan down. It's a fun match from an era where not a lot of good wrestling was happening.

And actually, looking up the results from this show? This was the second longest match on the card. The longest match? John Morrison vs Ted Dibiase Jr went 5:08. The main event was under 3 minutes long.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There was a RAW episode that, as I recall, Benoit and Jericho did what was pretty much just a cold match. I think it was a "we're both faces but gently caress it" thing, and I believe Jericho (or maybe JR) said it was mainly a "spirit of competition" thing, I remember that phrase.

But basically they went out there on just a random episode and put on a kickass match out of nowhere that I believe Jericho won on a very smooth reversal of one of Benoit's holds. I have not been able to find this, understandably, but I remember it being a great little match.

E: I haven't seen any WWE stuff in a while so maybe memories of this are still fresh, but I recall back when Kofi was still very new, he had a phenomenal series with Randy Orton that covered a couple RAW episodes and maybe a PPV or two. Kofi was starting to drop his happy-go-lucky character a bit and he and Orton just tore the house down a few times. Kofi hit a leg drop out of the stands at one point.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 12, 2019

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

Daniel Bryan vs Batista from RAW May 3rd, 2010.

This is only a 5 minute match, and Bryan loses because this was when NXT was a lovely gameshow where he lost everything and we were constantly reminded that he was a loser who couldn't win a match if his life depended on it.

But this was a match I absolutely loved at the time and, rewatching it, it's still pretty fun. Batista was in full world-beater mode, having just lost to Cena in that Last Man Standing Match with the duct tape finish. Daniel Bryan was a stupid dumb loser and we were dumb for liking him or hoping he won.

And within 10 seconds of the match starting Bryan counters the Batista Bomb into a pin and then puts Batista into an ankle lock.

The whole match is a lot of back and forth stuff, Bryan keeps countering moves and withstanding everything Batista can throw at him. I was not a fan of Batista at the time, but he does a really good job of selling this mix of outright shock, anger, and pain at the fact that he can't put Bryan down. It's a fun match from an era where not a lot of good wrestling was happening.

And actually, looking up the results from this show? This was the second longest match on the card. The longest match? John Morrison vs Ted Dibiase Jr went 5:08. The main event was under 3 minutes long.

He also wrestled Jericho on NXT around this same time, when Jericho was holding the Big Gold Belt, and same thing happens. Basically, while the office hated Bryan, wrestlers knew him and had a TON of respect for him, so even when he was booked for a squash, they'd give him a bunch and let him shine.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Raven vs Kaz Hayashi 3/20/99

Surprisingly good but short match from WCWSN. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9jvNV9I9Rk

Wrath & Mortis vs Glacier and Ernest Miller, Bash at the Beachttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U1ij9fRIKIh '97

The only match with Miller in it I've ever seen that wasn't dogshit.

Drake Younger vs Sami Callihan, Guerilla Warfare Match, winner gets a title shot at Adam Cole's PWG World Championship (Bay Bay) the following night. ASW 9, Night 1.

My favorite PWG match ever, and the match that made me a Drake Younger fan. These two absolutely go balls out. I don't have a link because people are generally nice enough to not pirate PWG. I firmly believe this match got the crowd so behind Drake and Sami that putting the title on either one of them would have been just fine with Reseda. The subsequent title defence (also Guerilla Warfare) is insane.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 12, 2019

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

uh...

E: i'm trying to decide if you posted this mistakenly, or meant it and are doing this as an intentional burial on Cat, in which case, well fuckin' done.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

A Fancy Hat posted:

The gimmick for that episode was a beat the clock challenge for a title shot or something so that's the reason for most of the matches being so short. I think Batista actually pitched having Bryan beat him in that match. Or at least he's claimed that in an interview.

Anyway, here's my contribution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie9KH0QYLWI

It's just a dumb Superstars match between Zack Ryder (still a heel) and Santino but I find myself watching it like two or three times a year because it's just a straight up indy comedy match in WWE with the announcers and ref (Nunzio I think?) completely playing it up and I love it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DJExile posted:

uh...

E: i'm trying to decide if you posted this mistakenly, or meant it and are doing this as an intentional burial on Cat, in which case, well fuckin' done.

Might have posted the wrong match. I remember a tag match between the 4 that I really liked.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

hi, let’s talk about NJPW’s supposed ‘dark age’, because it loving ruled

Yuji Nagata vs. Kazunari Murakami, NJPW Triathlon Survivor 2002 Day 13, December 10th 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOIc8qn1r0Y

Yuji Nagata is one of the greatest wrestlers of all time. Kazunari Murakami is an intimidating motherfucker with an aggressive style that wrestlers such as Shibata would build on beautifully. This match loving rules.

Kazuyuki Fujita vs. Katsuyori Shibata, NJPW Summer Struggle 2004 Day 10, July 12th 2004

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3dd3v

Speaking of which, here’s Shibata. We all know that he‘s incredible. Kazuyuki Fujita is also incredible here. This match is stiff as gently caress and it loving rules.

Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Jun Akiyama, NJPW G1 Climax 2003 Final, August 17th 2003

https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00278_1_1

But the main reason why it’s bad to dismiss early 2000s NJPW as objectively bad is b/c it’s easy to ignore matches like this G1 final between two GOAT wrestlers by virtue of its era and location, even though it would be remembered as an all time classic if it took place in NOAH. Akiyama loving rules, Tenzan loving rules, early 2000s NJPW just loving rules.

(btw ‘Inoki was a fascist’ and ‘Inokiism was bad for business’ are both legitimate indictments of early 2000s NJPW from a business perspective, but from an artistic perspective there are so many brilliant matches from that era that are ripe for rediscovery and haven’t aged a bit)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Why is that show called Triathlon Survivor?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Why is that show called Triathlon Survivor?

Same reason why WWE held a PPV called Great Balls Of Fire: it sounded cool at the time, I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

e: nah but iirc it was the name for the Tag League at the time? Idk, might be a bad literal translation, like ‘Raising An Army’ is in AJPW.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 12, 2019

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
"Nongnongdongfongbong" is one character too long. : (

Venomous posted:

hi, let’s talk about NJPW’s supposed ‘dark age’, because it loving ruled

Yuji Nagata vs. Kazunari Murakami, NJPW Triathlon Survivor 2002 Day 13, December 10th 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOIc8qn1r0Y

Yuji Nagata is one of the greatest wrestlers of all time. Kazunari Murakami is an intimidating motherfucker with an aggressive style that wrestlers such as Shibata would build on beautifully. This match loving rules.

Kazuyuki Fujita vs. Katsuyori Shibata, NJPW Summer Struggle 2004 Day 10, July 12th 2004

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3dd3v

Speaking of which, here’s Shibata. We all know that he‘s incredible. Kazuyuki Fujita is also incredible here. This match is stiff as gently caress and it loving rules.

Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Jun Akiyama, NJPW G1 Climax 2003 Final, August 17th 2003

https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00278_1_1

But the main reason why it’s bad to dismiss early 2000s NJPW as objectively bad is b/c it’s easy to ignore matches like this G1 final between two GOAT wrestlers by virtue of its era and location, even though it would be remembered as an all time classic if it took place in NOAH. Akiyama loving rules, Tenzan loving rules, early 2000s NJPW just loving rules.

(btw ‘Inoki was a fascist’ and ‘Inokiism was bad for business’ are both legitimate indictments of early 2000s NJPW from a business perspective, but from an artistic perspective there are so many brilliant matches from that era that are ripe for rediscovery and haven’t aged a bit)

drat right. The early 00s had a lot of great matches that newer fans aren't aware of and seem hesitant to check out because that era is perceived quite negatively. G1 Climax 2003 in particular still stands out as one of the finest G1 tournaments ever.

Jun Akiyama vs. Osamu Nishimura, NJPW G1 Climax 2003

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4xofsw

Akiyama was an invading wrestler from NOAH with an impressive moveset filled with dangerous head drops. Nishimura was a NJPW loyalist who wrestled a much more technical style, preferring stretches and roll-ups over slams and throws. Even without knowing much about these two guys, you can just take a look at them and immediately figure out who's the underdog. I remember one of the old match review sites giving this a *************7/8 but only half-jokingly.

Yuji Nagata vs. Yutaka Yoshie, NJPW G1 Climax 2003

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4xoew4

Everyone knows Nagata because he's still an active part of the NJPW roster but who the gently caress is Yutaka Yoshie? No one really cared about the latter even when he was an NJPW regular as he was mostly in undercard matches. Nagata was pretty much still the company ace then so he was always going to be a huge obstacle for a low-ranked guy like Yoshie. But the thing about Yoshie is that he's fat and he knows how to use that to his advantage. To the fans, it was more than believable that the bulky undercarder could upset the company ace.

nongdongfongbong fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 12, 2019

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Ric Flair vs Disco Inferno, WCW Thunder, March 11, 1999 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWvZrS-7ISY
This random-rear end match a B-Show tricked me for years in to thinking Disco Inferno could actually be a good wrestler if he wanted to.
For Disco Inferno this was the best match of his career. For Ric Flair, it was Tuesday... or possibly late Monday Night. I forget if WCW had started taping Thunder after Nitro by this point.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So I'm a huge fan of Simulated Wrestling. Between the various Video Game Wrestling federations and other simulated fights, the AI has a way to make matches interesting, at the very least.

Now, there is one storyline that I feel is really heads and shoulders above the rest with regards to Simulated Wrestling.

That feud, of course, is Shinsuke Nakamura vs The Brian Kendrick from the newLegacyInc WWE 2k18 Universe Mode.

https://youtu.be/NbfF69obWl4

It's the first match here. Their bullshitting and joking about the two characters in the story played into the match, and the match itself helped sell their story. The feud, started from a random opening match on the first Tuesday show, led to a storyline that lasted through the entire lifetime of the nL 2k18 Universe mode ending in the Main Event of WrestleMania for the US title.

There's a lot more I can post in this threaf when I have time to actually browse the matches I'd link here but I wanted to start with my favorite.

Expect a bunch of Momo and Hazuki in the near future.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

IcePhoenix posted:

The gimmick for that episode was a beat the clock challenge for a title shot or something so that's the reason for most of the matches being so short. I think Batista actually pitched having Bryan beat him in that match. Or at least he's claimed that in an interview.

It's just a dumb Superstars match between Zack Ryder (still a heel) and Santino but I find myself watching it like two or three times a year because it's just a straight up indy comedy match in WWE with the announcers and ref (Nunzio I think?) completely playing it up and I love it.

That was a fun little match. I wish someone had properly stepped into Santino's shoes as a full comedy wrestler, the closest we've seen recently would probably be Heath Slater and the New Day but even they don't quite fully commit to it like Santino did.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NowonSA posted:

That was a fun little match. I wish someone had properly stepped into Santino's shoes as a full comedy wrestler, the closest we've seen recently would probably be Heath Slater and the New Day but even they don't quite fully commit to it like Santino did.

Toru Yano is what you need in your life.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

also, if we're talking

SamuraiFoochs posted:

matches that get overshadowed by others on a show,
we kinda have to talk about

Devil Masami vs. Chigusa Nagayo, AJW Summer Night Festival In Budokan, August 22nd 1985

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x33blle

So everyone knows about Jaguar Yokota vs. Lioness Asuka from this show, mainly because it was the first women's match to receive a ***** from Meltzer. This, however, is the match that came before it. It rules just as hard and receives only a fraction of the discussion as the main event, mainly because Meltzer didn't actually rate it.

Devil Masami is an absolute rear end in a top hat, but she's been working for the past seven years and she's a fine wrestler. Chigusa's been working for five years, and she's just as great as Masami at this point, so she wants a shot at Masami's All Pacific Title. Now, Chigusa is incredibly over as a babyface here, and she's the clear underdog against the bigger and more physically dominant Masami. As such, Chigusa is able to power through Masami's brutal assault, and she embodies the whole fighting spirit thing really drat well. Needs to be seen imo.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 13, 2019

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm so thankful for this match to come back into my life.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Here's another overshadowed one that's not necessarily good but just very odd and forgotten: Luke Harper and Bray Wyatt vs Brock Lesnar at Roadblock 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcHnsfb1nWM

This match is really bizarre in its existence. That year, Dean Ambrose would go on to face Brock at Wrestlemania despite him fighting Triple H in the main of the very show (and discussed by Foochs here!) Yet on the same show, we have a relic of some older booking that would have Bray fight Brock instead. That angle was dropped due to injury if my memory serves, rendering a lot of the build from the Royal Rumble and this match sort of irrelevant and ignored.

Initially advertised as Harper vs Lesnar, then Wyatt vs Lesnar, this match ended up a handicap match... where Bray jumps off the apron immediately and doesn't do a drat thing. This has to be due to injury, because the match itself is structured in a completely insane fashion. It starts with Brock going strong, only for Luke to catch him with a suicide dive and continue with what I'd say is "way too much loving offense on Brock loving Lesnar." Harper's in control for a large part of the match, and commentary seems halfway between baffled and surprised and scrambling to sell Luke being actually good enough to do this as "the most dangerous member of the Wyatts."

The ending goes as you'd expect, though, but the choice of handicap match here is real weird because it makes Bray look like a loving moron for not tagging in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Don Frye & Masahiro Chono vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Yuji Nagata. NJPW Pro-Wrestlers be Strongest, 10 September 2004.

Since we're talking 2000s New Japan. Don Frye is so underrated, I think he could've been an all-time great if he dedicated himself to pro wrestling early.

https://youtu.be/naLN4C9MRF0