Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

So, I was very late to the ROH party. I got out of wrestling altogether in 2003 and didn't climb back in until 2009 and then only with WWE. When Sinclair purchased ROH, they had regular TV where I live and I happened to catch it one night in 2012 and got really into the product. I started attending a lot of ROH house shows in 2013. I raved about them when they happened but it wasn't exactly easy to see them back then if you weren't there, so I'm going to pinpoint a few matches that are available on Honor Club that I figure most people haven't seen but are actually quite good.

Michael Elgin vs. ACH - ROH Dragon's Reign

Elgin had just started coming into his own and ACH was still pretty new but already had good hype by this point. Right before intermission, they pulled out a loving awesome 20 minute match. The crowd was going bonkers shortly into the match. Plenty of back-and-forth action and the two of them worked together so well. To this day, I still think this is the best singles match ACH has ever had. It's put together really well and is expertly booked in that Elgin still got to look like a monster but ACH also gained a ton from it. Every time the match seemed like it was about to end, it heated back up. This was a legit MOTYC for 2013 for me.

Cedric Alexander vs. Davey Richards - ROH Live and Let Die

The Cedric Alexander break out party. He was obviously good but still had some green moments and hadn't really been more than a low card guy at this point. This was in 2013 so Davey still gave a poo poo and could seriously go. They put on a match that, while not as good as the one above, was still really fun and the first true showcase of what Cedric could do.

ACH vs. Davey Richards - ROH The Golden Dream

By this point in 2013, ACH was having stellar matches with everyone but was constantly losing. There was a lot of hype in the crowd that this might be one that he finally wins. The match starts kind of slow but it heats up a good deal by the end and the crowd is super into it and super into ACH.

Cedric Alexander & Caprice Coleman vs. Red Dragon - ROH Pursuit Night 2

Cedric and Caprice had been having a really fun string of matches but hadn't really done anything significant, almost entirely on Cedric's back. This match was built on them asking for the title shot by saying this would be their last one if they couldn't win it. Red Dragon was at their peak tag team powers here and Cedric and Caprice laid everything on the line. They pulled out every stop imaginable and worked it like they knew it might be the last match they had as a team. The crowd was super hot for this, every one of the four guys were on their A-game and it resulted in a really fantastic match that is criminally underseen.

Cedric Alexander vs. Michael Elgin - ROH Flyin High

Cedric's best ROH match. It's along the lines of the ACH-Elgin match. These guys worked their asses off for a really hot crowd. Total action, lots of nearfalls. Just a really tremendously fun match that shows off what both men are capable of at their best.

Chris Hero vs. AJ Styles - ROH Flyin High

Hero had recently been released from WWE and was returning home for his first big match in Dayton in quite a while. Styles was just turning into the NJPW champ level wrestler he is now. They worked a really hard hitting back and forth match that the crowd loved. The hometown hardcore fans were big into Hero and I remember there being lots of young kids who were big into Styles from TNA. Tremendous work here from both guys.

Cedric Alexander vs. Adam Cole - ROH TV Taping Wheeling

Another tremendous effort from Cedric. I wouldn't say it was as good as the other Cedric stuff listed here but they still had a phenomenal match with lots of nearfalls that got the crowd super hot. At this point, Cedric's potential was obvious to the fans and they really wanted to see him pushed farther but ROH never pulled the trigger. It's a shame because he could've been a huge babyface star for them and this match shows why.

AJ Styles vs. Matt Sydal - ROH TV Taping Wheeling

This was the reason most of these people were at the show. It was the first time ROH ran Wheeling and there were a ton of first time ROH attendees there. People knew Styles from TNA and Sydal from his time in WWE. This match is in the final hour of a four-hour TV taping and I remember it didn't even start until around 11 p.m. The crowd was fairly dead at that point but these two worked very hard and got everyone on their feet and going nuts by the end.

Jay Lethal vs. Hanson - ROH Survival of the Fittest 2014 Night 1

Lethal was TV champ and was just kicking off the best period of his career IMO. Hanson was still pretty new and to this point hadn't really had a big breakout performance. That changed here. Hanson had the best singles match I've ever seen him have and showed his full arsenal for the crowd. Tremendously entertaining match.

Matt Sydal vs. ACH - ROH Survival of the Fittest 2014 Night 1

This match is everything you would expect a match between ACH and Matt Sydal to be. Really awesome, entertaining match

ROH wasn't as hot during this period as it had been, but in retrospect it was a really loving great time for the company with a ton of good matches a lot of people don't know about so hopefully everyone enjoys these!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Threemendous III ladder match is loving bananas