Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The paw patrol is about the evils of private enterprise, yet the author complains the team is led by a police (government) dog.

Later the author complains that no one is a heroic government employee.

I don't even know.

Maybe you'd know if you actually read the review.

quote:

As for the show’s relationship to society and government, Adventure Bay seems to have no municipal services or social safety net. There is no public fire department, police force, or health care system. Instead, the residents rely on a Blackwater-style private enterprise that offers policing, firefighting, medical, trash and recycling services, and assorted search and rescue services

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Pacho posted:

I understand "show, don't tell" from a scriptwriting perspective, but from a literary perspective it doesn't really make that much sense because everything is "tell" unless we are talking about a writter being overly descriptive or lacking nuance which seems like generic bad writer problems. Also, I think extracting emotional labour from the reader is kinda the point of literature, isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBhR4QcBtE

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

nankeen posted:

fantasy, science fiction, horror, magical realism, "young adult", all of these terms are just insulting and unnecessary attempts to define the indefinable, and from now on i will make it my mission that if i hear any man invoke these terms, i will slay him

Death to the author

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Disillusionist posted:

I'm reading the old thread in its entirety for fun and I'm actually learning a lot. For instance, I read The Way of Kings a few years ago and enjoyed it for the most part. The aspects I didn't like were: weird eyebrow people, major characters having similar names (I know Gavilar, Kalladin and Dalinar are characters but gently caress me if I remember who is who), the ~magic system~ and spren poo poo, and a few others. I did genuinely like how different it seemed from other "fantasy" literature in a lot of aspects, though. The setting reminded me of Morrowind to an extent because things were just different somewhat.

Thing is, I've since learned that there's very little original in WOK other than the particulars of the worldbuilding. And I've since learned the flaws of autist-level worldbuilding as represented in WOK. Now I no longer feel compelled to read the rest of the series because I am certain Sanderson isn't going to make up for all the schlock with more battles involving the use of dozens of ladders to scale massive chasms on the battlefield (seriously, it's the only element I can recall two years later that I enjoyed as unique, and even the purpose for the chasm-battlefield is contrived).

As an aspiring writer, the advice I see most often is Always Be Reading. However, I almost feel like if I want to write SF/F (god help me), I should mostly ignore the genre and read other poo poo. It seems like so much of fantasy lit is aping people who were aping Tolkien, and I, fortunately, have read very little SFF to date (which is probably why WOK seemed different to me). I feel like if I read a bunch of SFF just so I could say that I've "read the genre," the tropes and crutches of other authors like Sanderson et al will poison the well, so to speak. Is that fair?

I would definitely say read at least some non-genre fiction even if you want to write genre fiction. There are also better and worse bad writers. I'd say Sanderson is pretty far down the bad writer path.

Personally, I'd recommend Leguin, Abercrombie, Martin, Gaiman, Pratchett and Mieville. If you like sci-fi then Watts, Hamilton, Reynolds, Robinson, Banks, Simmons, Gibson and Stross are the ones I'd say are the better half of genre fiction, though none of them are flawless.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Fell Fire posted:

I wish I knew more about that era. I might write something up anyway, when I have some free time. That's an interesting book that misses by being about all of the uninteresting parts.

Does anyone actually want a critical look at Dune?

It's kind of a sacred cow, so it could be quite interesting to see. For all its strengths I would say Dune is a deeply flawed novel.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

chernobyl kinsman posted:

herbert's prose should be banned under the geneva conventions

his ellipses, not mine

One thing about Dune and it's sequels that always struck me... I mean the prose is not great... but who reads fantasy... for prose. But the characters just ... sort of lecture each other. I mean... they're obviously talking to the reader... but it's just weird.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Lex Neville posted:

wait thats not only published but also a genre classic? care to post what comes after?

People say the quality falls off. After the first book. Falls off. After.

Though I actually like Dune.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It didn't, actually.

They might never have been used, but I've seen one. It may have been a fake real one, but even so, it was a real fake one.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Finicums Wake posted:

if i'm reading fiction, of any sort, i expect the author to at least seem like they're interested language, as that's the medium they're working in. i realize that genre fiction emphasizes different things than literary fiction, and that the prose style isn't really the point of the former. like i'm not going into sci-fi with the expectation of reading nabakov, or anything close to it.

i get the impression that many authors who write genre fiction are doing so for reasons other than the fact that they like writing. i suspect that if they had unlimited resources at their disposal, they'd rather tell their story, explore their world, etc. in an entirely different way. maybe i'm wrong. but it's hard for me to figure out why someone dedicating so much time to writing ends up with the kinds of prose i see in many science fiction books.

I think it's some of this, but it's also somewhat the writers they are looking to emulate aren't particularly good writers. The authors who are big in the genre, many of them are not particularly good writers. tolkien is okay, Jordan is wordy, I've heard Rowling is just awful, Martin is ok. There's some that are better but... I think some of it is genre writers are emulating and looking up to the wrong writers.

my bony fealty posted:

I would guess it's somewhat because the standards are lower for publishing. There's probably loads of lovely prose lit fic written too that never sees the light of day because lit fic readers ostensibly are looking for good prose as a key component of the books they buy where genre readers mostly are not. So genre authors have far less impetus to improve as writers if their goal is to achieve commercial success.

Is self-published lit fic is a thing?

I think to some degree the fans don't want to think too much or deconstruct good writing. And once that becomes the standard, even if the fans do want it, publishers are probably looking for stuff that isn't too far from what's considered good. If mediocre writers are what's good, then I could easily see your writing being to "good" for genre fiction. Compare Leguin and Rowling, or Martin and Mieville, or Tad Williams and Robert Jordan.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Ultimately a healthy publishing industry requires that a very large number of writers who are just okay or thoroughly mediocre be able to make a good living as authors.

Why?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Popeston posted:

I found this thread after searching the forum for The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O because despite having read it 2 years ago I sometimes remember it and get irrationally angry. So I'm pretty new to the thread and mostly skimming but I've seen Name of the Wind come up a few times and I'm wondering what people didn't like about it.

I read it on a plane journey so I didn't think all that much about it but it seemed okay. Like I get it's a flashback of the Greatest Dude Ever that dwells a lot on how great he is but I found it engaging enough. It's not amazing but I've read a lot of worse books. Which admittedly is a low bar but there's a lot of super poo poo books.

There is a Rothfuss thread if you want to explore the depths of people dislike of him: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836768

By genre standards, they are above average books. That being said, the writing is pretty insufferable. The fans are definitely insufferable. And Rothfuss himself is incredibly insufferable. He's actually written very little, in the grand scheme of things, but somehow he's coasting on these two and a half books for over a decade. And for some reason people just love him. If he was humble and just a writing teacher or whatever and people didn't insist on how great the books are, I think he would attract less ire.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Is this guy literally burning books? It's such a weird thing to say to me, like book burning has some pretty bad connotations. Though anyone who immediately devours three volumes of Malazan to me is pretty suspect. I found those entirely unreadable and gave up after a few chapters.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

A human heart posted:

It's funny when guys on these forums who read bad contemporary science fiction pretend that it's somehow way better than the bad science fiction of the past.

Some of it is better. The hard sci-fi is more scientific, some of it written by actual scientists/ex scientists now for example. I think it's a bit less preachy too, a lot of older sci-fi I remember these scenes where characters basically philosophize at each other in a way that didn't do too much to further the plot or characters.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Srice posted:

I was making a joke about the notion that better science = better writing.

I don't really understand why you're reading speculative fiction if you don't value the speculative part of it. Masochism? If you just want good prose you're almost guaranteed to do better with mainstream fictional works. Part of why I read Sci-Fi is I enjoy the contemplation of the human condition under different conditions than the ones we operate under now. If your only criterion is how good the prose is, then it just boggles my mind you're reading genre fiction at all.

Thranguy posted:

Would Moby Dick still have been a great work of Melville had gotten fundamental aspects of the whaling experience dead wrong?

Probably if you know stuff about whales and you're reading it and there are glaring problems it takes you out of the work, and thus makes it "less good".

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Is that real? These are books that've been translated in 75 languages?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

I am looking forward to seeing the return to those biting and well reasoned critiques that made this thread great.

Sorry, BotL was banned.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

nankeen posted:

the botl ban was legitimately ridiculous but i do get that people were getting angry enough to start a mass off-site exodus in protest of having their favourite media randomly slandered by a cantankerous finn. the fact they were that angry is totally unreasonable and not botl's fault, but it was still an issue. oh who am i kidding i'm a fraud. i'm outside the finnish embassy as we speak. i' mdressed as a holy fool and i haven't stopped drinking since the day i was born. i'll kill you all! i'll burn this whole drat kingdom to the ground

That's not what the ban was "really" about.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

nankeen posted:

can anybody give me a single concrete example of botl's creeping/stalking/harassment crimes that's not "he was mean to the action figure goon in two different threads"

It hardly seems worth relitigating. I don't think there's a supreme QCS court we can appeal to.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One of the really amazing things to me about litrpgs is that people could, theoretically, just write gamebooks

like then the reader could actually play the game and it might even be fun

I spent a whole weekend working through https://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Books just a few years ago

but no they have to even take the joy of actually playing a game away from the reader, all that's left is the empty fantasy of succeeding at a game instead

i mean they're writing out the game rules and everything just print a character sheet on the first page folks!

I remember something vaguely like this from the 80's / early 90's where you would make a character on page one and use dice. It was basically: choose your own adventure meets D&D for people with no-one to play with.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Kerbtree posted:

Are you thinking of the Fighting Fantasy books? Warlock of Firetop Mountain ring any bells?

I remember literally nothing about it, except my parents bought me the D&D boxed set and then also bought me some book that was basically: play D&D by yourself.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Neurosis posted:

I cannot imagine anything more creatively restrictive than writing to this. 'Well, I had this grand arc planned for this character, but his speechcraft wasn't high enough to pass the skill check, so I had to do something boring.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1F4OduqrtQ

Vote 2, big time.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

The_White_Crane posted:

No her big thing is to create a setting where people have magic superpowers that lead to them sometimes wiping out entire towns completely by accident, then portraying them as unfairly repressed and trying to make them a metaphor for the treatment of black people in the U.S.

Is she the one that I heard about a while ago, writing about the people who cause earthquakes or whatever and shockingly, the culture they grow up in is somewhat concerned about people who are like walking bombs? And that's uh.. the same as what was done to slaves? I thought that sounded extremely stupid.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Why do people keep trying to do this (badly) when X-Men exists and already did it (badly)?

It sells I guess? I think it's some weird thing where it's like "well we want to deal with the issues of misogyny or racism in a way that makes the people who are the victims represented, but we also want to empower them and not just make them victims" .... so let's give them insane superpowers yet somehow they are still oppressed! It sort of made sense in the X-men. It's weird that people don't understand that people like Maya Angelou and many others have been writing about the effects of slavery and misogyny for many years without needing to resort to "they can cause earthquakes and are therefore an actual danger" in order to empower the characters they write about.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

lol y'all just can't help yourselves from saying a woman of color's chosen method of exploring her heritage and oppression is invalid can you

Oh is she a PoC, I guess that means her work can't be critically analyzed in any way shape or form.

Please update the op to note that we can only discuss the genre fiction of white males.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Cacto posted:

You gotta get out more. There’s thousands of years of totally legitimate real art by some of the most famous artists featuring dragons, demons, super powered people or whatever. Even old literature is packed full of supernatural themes. You can go down the rabbit hole of whether modern fantasy or sci fi is like what came out back in the day in its portrayal of the supernatural, but the inclusion of weird poo poo doesn’t force someone to write poorly.

This is true, but in the modern era, it certainly seems to often excuse poor writing. I think when people talk about sci-fi and fantasy they don't think of the Eddas or the Iliad or what have you ancient literature. Or even less historic stuff like The Picture of Dorian Gray or writers like Marquez.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I love Pratchett but this is a both good and bad criticism. Good because Pratchett is a bit too enamoured by the idea of "democracy is stupid, what we really need is a dictator who actually cares", and bad because there's never a popular uprising against Vetenari, it's always disgruntled elites

It's a loving stupid criticism. Discworld isn't some pro-fascist track, it's a series of comedy novels and part of the joke is there is an actual effective dictator. It's like reading 1984 and saying Orwell was an authoritarian. It's doubly stupid because the thread is about people like Marion Zimmer Bradley who divvied up her children with her husband so they could choose which child would be endlessly raped by whom.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Nah it's not even convincing people anything it's like

Man I get mad at dumb stuff too but like

Man that's a mean wedgie

Is all your posting this bad? You're kind of impressive in a Rothfussesque kind of way if so.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So there is a clear correlation between sexual assault and slavery, and you can't really discuss slavery accurately without the fact that much of slavery's evil comes in the form of legalized rape.

I wonder if this is 100% accurate, slavery has existed throughout most of human history, has the sexual assault aspect always been so prevalent? We tend to immediately associate it with what went on in the Antebellum South, but, while I'm not defending slavery, it hasn't always been as awful as what went on in America. In Rome slaves themselves were paid wages and owned property, and slaves were so cheap that slaves owned other slaves.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

It is precisely because of the modern reckoning with sexual assault and the trauma it inflicts that authors reach for it as a way to show how evil their villains are. It is a convenient shorthand to avoid studying human nature or reading good fiction. Why bother portraying a utopian ideology that can justify any horror, or researching mental illness, or coming up with a foil to the hero when all you need to do is describe where the bad man put his penis?

One thing I find kind of aggravating about this use of rape as a motivator for characters in these pseudo-medieval worlds is the characters always have a very modern attitude towards sexual assault, but this modern or post-modern attitude is often mixed with some medieval attitudes (like about non-sexual violence) and there's little reason for some characters to be so enlightened.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

We never did get the full explanation of blight agriculture mechanics I was actually reading the books for.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

derp posted:

Vonnegut is good and thus should not be discussed in this thread

Such a goon thing to say. Criticism isn’t necessarily negative. The thread doesn’t do it much but we certainly could discuss things like why LeGuin and Vonnegut are good instead of just why Sanderson is trash. But to be fair laughing at awful stuff is in some ways more fun.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

It's bizarre to me that people are somehow not understanding that reading a book written by a Christian writer isn't going to somehow infect you with Christianity. Ditto for any other absurd or even not absurd ideology. If you read a book that's specifically meant to argue for that ideology, then yeah you might be more at risk. You could be tainted by reading Mein Kampf, or something really vile like the Bible. But looking at young A. Hitler's paintings isn't going to somehow cause you strap on jackboots.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Even this is ridiculous. If anything, you're just going to hate the book. A leftist's reaction to reading Atlas Shrugged isn't up to some roll of the dice; it's pretty clear how that's going to turn out.

I said more at risk. And I mean, yes, nobody is really at risk of being persuaded of anything by reading Atlas Shrugged, but I mean come on. It's possible to write more persuasively and better than that in defense of ideologies less absurd.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Lex Neville posted:

Interaction with any work of art does not inherently lead to any kind of internalisation of its or its creator's morals, to any extent. Your choice of words consistently implies that it does and it precludes you from grasping what everyone's been telling you.

Because he can't interact with our forum art without being infected with "not-stupid" so he has to stay morally pure, by refusing to even read it and just robotically responding with his cancel culture take on dead writers.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

I do think supporting a book like American Dirt by buying a copy supports a market for white people telling the stories of others, and often doing so very badly and clumsily. It would probably be better to commercially support a Mexican-American author telling those same stories because they would probably do a better job, and there is an ongoing problem in the world that has existed for some time where colonialist cultures (aka white people) get to tell the stories of other cultures and tell the people of those cultures who they are and what their story is.

I can't remember his name but there's a writer who has a whole career of like going to places and writing about the people there and he writes from a very white kind of anthropologist type who goes and observes the natives and acts like they are loving idiots and their behavior makes no sense. Yet somehow he's done very well financially his whole life. Oh, also he's just a bad writer.

But the actual act of reading it is almost entirely divorced from that. It's not like the bad writer white lady gets psychic power from you reading her work.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

If a brown person writes a thing and no white person reads it (in English) is it really even written?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

That is a pathetic fear to have. People with other ideas, no matter how horrible, are in fact people. The idea that you shouldn't even be able to understand where a fascist or racist or whoever is coming from, what brought them to where they are, is absolute horseshit. A lack of knowledge or empathy (to be clear, not sympathy) is not a point of pride.

This whole thing traces its philosophical roots back to insane ideas in places like Christianity where if you think about murdering someone it’s the same as murdering them. As well as injunctions for purity of essence and not to be corrupted by coming into contact with outsiders and others who might coincidentally expose you to some non cult ideas about the universe, or at least a different cult.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

porfiria posted:

Those Hitler paintings are utterly uninspired but evince some level of training or practice—clearly either the work of a studious child or a fascist.

Isnt this like a quote from why he got rejected from art school?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Maybe we're being unfair. There are obviously people who read extremely lovely, badly written "art" and are influenced by it. How many morons publicly prove they are morons by citing Atlas Shrugged as a major life influence? Maybe the goon in question knows he's a moron who lacks critical thinking skills, and he's rightfully protecting his impressionable mind from dangerous influences.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Heath posted:

Even ignoring the dig at the poster, you can judge Atlas Shrugged on its artistic merits apart from its politics, and it fails on that level - there's very little, if any, artistic merit to Atlas Shrugged even as simply a prose novel or a story. It's hard to give it credit as a piece of artistic expression when it has a 60 page speech that's effectively a political manifesto with the express purpose of persuading its audience.

Yes, that's why I said "art".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

derp posted:

How many fantasy novels can you count where the magic power depends on having a 'pure bloodline'

It’s more like what % don’t have this feature.