Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Flesnolk posted:

You can’t blame literally everything on “capitalism exists”.

Name one thing I can't blame on capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

So besides Roland Barthes what works should someone with no formal training in literature be looking at in order to develop some understanding about literature criticism?

Plato's Republic

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The Anatomy of Criticism is real good for the bit on the "anatomy" or Menippean satire (I think it's the fourth essay), even if it only marginally develops most of Bakhtin's ideas on the subject. e: To be clear, the rest of the book struck me as mystical reactionary nonsense, but the specific section I'm talking about helped me a lot once upon a time.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 22, 2019

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh yeah I find his analyses fascinating but unfortunatit's all framed in a doomed and foolish endeavor to materialize the ethereal

The literary theory I find most sensible is often just a more eloquent or idiomatic restatement of a few already famous Romantic works: Biographia Literaria, Knocking at the Gate, the Preface to the Lyrical Ballads, the bit of The Genius of Christianity on the vague des passions. For a biased but mostly correct critical foundation, I've always felt you could do worse than read those, Locke's theory of consciousness, the Philosophical Investigations, and The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction before chasing whatever thread you like.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Sampatrick posted:

The first book is like notoriously worse than every other book in the series fwiw

Give me reasons to believe this.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

The Ninth Layer posted:

The first book was originally a film script that was adapted into a novel and was written about ten years before the rest of the series.

What qualities of the respective texts make one better than the other? "Book A is better than Book B because Book A was written 10 years after Book B" doesn't make sense.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Sampatrick posted:

Getting mad about capitalized nouns is honestly the dumbest poo poo. There's some reasonable things to critique, like the prose being poo poo, but getting mad about pronouns is just dumb.

(1) Capitalization is obviously part of prose style. Capitalizing certain words changes their inflection. It is annoying to trip over stupidly capitalized words once or twice every sentence.

(2) Capitalizing Special Nouns is one of the most common and easily identifiable habits of bad SF/F writers, so people who (justifiably) don't want to waste a lot of time criticizing a lovely book that is lovely in exactly the same ways as many other books are lovely can just point to the dumb capitalization and say "get a load of this poo poo."

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Now, there's no hard-and-fast rule against weird capitalization. You just have to show you know what the gently caress you're doing, e.g. Olga Tokarczuk in Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I may have walked into a death of the author fight accidentally in another forum and oh no I forget that there are people who still reject it

link it, coward

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

is always a true statement regardless of the content of the blank

Yes, it's called original sin.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
should just permaban Mel now and get it over with

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

consistently holding minority opinions in children's media threads

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The paw patrol is about the evils of private enterprise, yet the author complains the team is led by a police (government) dog.

Later the author complains that no one is a heroic government employee.

I don't even know.

A coherent liberal refutation of fascism is impossible.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Just what the Book Barn was missing: a thread for video games.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Ccs posted:

If we’re talking economics of an industry it should be obvious why you can’t rely on a few geniuses producing the only works people want to buy. There’d be no bookstores or other outlets for distribution because the product would be so rare.

Well, no. In this hypothetical scenario, the obvious distribution centers would be libraries.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Am I to understand that unpasteurized breast milk would age more gracefully?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

A human heart posted:

RA Lafferty and Stanislaw Lem are cool.

Not quite on the same order as Lem or Le Guin—and I've never read Lafferty—but so are Connie Willis and Margaret Atwood.

e: Oh, and Vonnegut, obviously.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 30, 2019

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

pseudanonymous posted:

Some of it is better. The hard sci-fi is more scientific, some of it written by actual scientists/ex scientists now for example. I think it's a bit less preachy too, a lot of older sci-fi I remember these scenes where characters basically philosophize at each other in a way that didn't do too much to further the plot or characters.

the gently caress

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Thranguy posted:

Would Moby Dick still have been a great work of Melville had gotten fundamental aspects of the whaling experience dead wrong?

Maybe, but it definitely would have sucked if Melville wrote like just about anybody in the list above (Gaiman, Hamilton...).

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

my bony fealty posted:

It's a TV show but

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Took you five months after BotL's perma to muster the courage to come into this thread and rank LitRPGs

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

ENOUGH.

If I see more botl chat I lock this. This is not the jihad to free Botl thread, this is for criticism of fantasy and sci fi.

I see the jihad to free botl as a step toward bringing criticism of genre back to the thread

You might as well lock the thread anyway, if it's not jihadchat it's literally just ranking litRPGs

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

derp posted:

“I have known her longer, my smile said. True, you have been inside the circle of her arms, tasted her mouth, felt the warmth of her, and that is something I have never had. But there is a part of her that is only for me. You cannot touch it, no matter how hard you might try. And after she has left you I will still be here, making her laugh. My light shining in her. I will still be here long after she has forgotten your name.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

is this real

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I think the culture of the forums in general is overly prickly and terse but man, I hang out in other places and then I come back here and it's like woah

If you quit saying offensively stupid things, you might find people's reactions less prickly

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

This wrong and backwards. Rand is the real deal, the rest are twisted legends vaguely based on him, confused with the names and deeds of his companions, and then subjected to the motivated artistic gloss of those in our era who are currently interpreting them.

Rand’s big, it’s the legends that got small.

then why are all the legends way better

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Genre books also tend to be idea poor, as in, the author has several ideas that they stretch out over hundreds of pages. That makes it even funnier because you observe the worthless little man squirm to come up with a few unoriginal ideas and beam with pride for having done so instead of, I don’t know, learning how to write?
If you take a good genre author like Lem, you will see he can produce a lot more ideas than the norm. I already wrote about Lem’s Fiasco in this thread as an example of this - he comes up with hundreds of original speculative ideas lesser authors would kill to be able to claim as their own, and dismisses them in the same paragraph as meaningless musings of people trying to avoid the inescapable reality of the universe’s lack of meaning. Lem, of course, is not the only good genre authors, but I wouldn’t say there were more than a handful, and I’ve read a lot of genre fiction.

I love how playful Lem is about devising and trashing ideas within a few pages or sentences. He never lets the good ideas overstay their welcome, either. Sections of The Cyberiad made me think he could have named it If on a winter's night a robot and it would have made perfect sense.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

WTF, Worm doesn't treat Nazi's as sympathetic and black people as subhuman at all. imo, someone who willingly reads tens of millions of words they consider to be absolute trash isn't really someone i would trust to provide a coherent opinion of the work or anything else really

Strong start, but please provide at least two supporting points for this claim as well as a concluding sentence. Remember to use transition words to signal new points.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

chernobyl kinsman posted:

please do not try to own fantasy lit by even ironically comparing the holy gral and excalbur to "phat loot", we are not TVTropers

im earnestly begging you not to do this

lmao

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

PeterWeller posted:

Listen man, I wrote a MA thesis on Harry Potter,

lol

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I'm gonna spend a bunch of money and 1-2 years of my life studying boy wizards, and if you think that's dumb that just proves you're a reactionary stemlord like my DAD

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

PeterWeller posted:

I wrote that thesis at a conservative Catholic university where The Canon is still held dear, and an undergrad is lucky if they get to read something written in the last hundred years.

I went to one of those for undergrad. I had a great time, but I'd never recommend it to anyone.

e: out of a graduating class of ~15 in the English dept, someone did a thesis on harry potter every year. I never heard about any pushback. It's not remotely subversive in a conservative religious American context and maybe somebody might write something interesting about why that is

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 10, 2019

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

PeterWeller posted:

I wasn't suggesting it was subversive, just pointing out that I wrote it at a school that wasn't basing any of its English curriculum on market forces.

Oh, I see what you mean

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

weird to hear "in-depth analysis of genre fiction is bad" in this, the in-depth analysis of genre fiction thread

A careful analysis of the last two pages reveals that PeterWeller didn't post analysis of anything

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

quote:

coerced coupling with

I'll write more later because I respect the effort but lol

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
re: Jemisin
I’m addressing the arguments as presented because I have not (will not) read the books.

1. Genre; or, Actually, it’s science fantasy

First of all, ‘speculative fiction’ is a much broader term than I think most posters ITT realize. It has come to encompass practically any fiction that has supernatural or ahistorical elements. Arguing over whether Jemisin’s crap is speculative fiction is pointless; it obviously is. The real bone of contention is whether or not it’s fantasy.

Critics and sceptics of the ‘speculative fiction’ label will say it’s more or less a marketing gimmick, that a ‘work of speculative fiction’ is superficially more respectable than a sci-fi, fantasy, or horror novel. In many cases I think they’re wrong. It seems strange to put Slaughterhouse-Five in the same genre as Echopraxia, not because one clearly has more literary merit than the other, but because Slaughterhouse-Five is not obviously similar to a hundred other books with the sci-fi label. Echopraxia, on the other hand, hews closely to conventions established by its predecessors in the genre. It makes sense to call Slaughterhouse-Five speculative fiction to avoid the Procrustean effort of cramming that expansive, ambitious, idiosyncratic novel into such a rigidly defined box.

The Fifth Season, by either Wallet’s or GEK’s description, is conventional fantasy. Wallet points out that its opening is just The Hobbit with a nuanced conception of race. Anything that can be described succinctly as ‘The Hobbit, but ___’ is fantasy by definition. That the invented magic system uses terms with Greek or Latin etymology doesn’t make the novel science fiction, it just sounds science-y because Descartes and Newton and Linnaeus wrote in Latin. Nor does Jemisin’s conscious attempt to engage with real-world issues locate her fiction outside of the genre she chooses to write in. Vonnegut demonstrates the distinction easily with Breakfast of Champions. Kilgore Trout is a science fiction writer whose stories are inventive within genre conventions: a traveller happens upon a planet inhabited only by automobiles, who is in the midst of an environmental catastrophe caused by their own emissions; or a traveller happens upon a planet where the value of works of art is assigned at random by a government official; etc.

quote:

Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.

Then you realize that Vonnegut has been writing the entire novel as if it is a science fiction set in the unchanged American Midwest. He alienates the reader from their own world by describing it as you might a fictional world inhabited by aliens with strange customs:

quote:

loving was how babies were made

quote:

The women all had big minds because they were big animals, but they didn't use them for this reason: unusual ideas could make enemies and the women, if they were going to achieve any sort of comfort and safety, needed all the friends they could get. So, in the interest of survival they trained themselves to be agreeing machines. All their minds had to do was to discover what other people were thinking and then they thought it too

And so on.

All this to say that Jemisin is working within the well-established conventions of the fantasy genre, and there is no need to apply the broad label of ‘speculative fiction’ to The Fifth Season, a novel where a reluctant hero with secret magical powers in a peaceful village in a world that experiences cyclical cataclysm has a family member killed and sets out break the cycle and save humanity. In 2020, after wheel of time and thomas covenant and snyder supermans and avengers umpteen, The Fifth Season is perhaps an even more conventional instance of the genre than The Hobbit, which after all kept the stakes somewhere below apocalyptic.

Incidentally, you should all read Breakfast of Champions and then maybe we can quit having the same stupid argument.

2. Race; or, The Magical Negro

While I was writing this, TheGreatEvilKing responded pretty thoroughly, and Wallet didn’t even substantially address his main objection to the racism allegory: that orogenes are, in fact, extremely dangerous. They have the potential to instantly and even involuntarily kill an entire town. You can only claim that this novel is relevant to real-world racism if Jemisin’s thesis is that the Jews really were responsible for spreading the Black Death. [e: gently caress you, GEK, why do you post so fast]

The gun analogy is just dumb. Unlike skin colour, gun ownership is not a hereditary trait, much less a racial signifier. Again, GEK addressed this.

You, Wallet, write off this severe disconnect as a pedantic quibble:

Wallet posted:

You know this is speculative fiction, right? You seem to think that the only way for an author to explore something is to precisely reproduce it. Like The Left Hand of Darkness can't be saying anything meaningful about gender because them weird aliens can get pregnant and get other people pregnant. What a bunch of nonsense!

This is an obvious deflection. You can’t claim simultaneously that (1) it’s genre so it’s not fair to engage with it as a coherent reflection of the real world, and (2) :

Wallet posted:

You have to look past the oily sheen of genre if you want to actually engage with it.

Ursula Le Guin’s work, unlike Jemisin’s, stands up to surface-level analysis and doesn’t need anybody to apologize for it being genre. GEK has the facts of the novel right, he analysed them as Jemisin herself asked her audience to — as having something to say about real life racism. You’re the one avoiding engagement here.

3. Slave narratives

GEK gave the slave narrative thing quite a bit more credit than it deserves. I’m going to go a bit farther than GEK and say that this whole paragraph is bizarre bordering on offensive:

Wallet posted:

Essun's journey, particularly with The Fifth Season and The Obelisk Gate, I read as a cogent reimagining of North American antebellum† slave narratives‡, engaging with the body of postmodern neo-slave narratives (some people call them liberatory narratives) from within the context of speculative fiction¶. The sex scenes after Essun has initially escaped bondage might seem like some weird wank fantasy aside (it involves some MMF threesomes) but Essun reclaiming her sexuality is an important part of her (at least attempting) to deal with her trauma, and I would argue that it's pretty salient to what the novels are doing. The idea that Essun has sexual agency at all is important, even while she's still suffering trauma§, in contrast to women like Harriet Jacobs who had to attempt to communicate that they had been sexually assaulted while societal standards precluded them from directly mentioning sex.

I’m not even quite sure how to respond to this, as the only concrete example you cite is Harriet Jacobs. And seeing Harriet Jacobs’ name invoked unironically so close to ‘MMF threesomes’ makes me see red but I’m trying, I’m really trying, not to just call you mean names. Instead, I’ll ask a couple of questions that, if answered, would allow people to make sense of this batshit paragraph.

You call Essun’s journey a ‘cogent reimagining of North American antebellum slave narratives, engaging with the body of postmodern neo-slave narratives (some people call them liberatory narratives) from within the context of speculative fiction’. Since you call it ‘cogent’, I imagine you have a number of specific narrative features in mind that Essun’s journey shares with a liberatory narratie such as, say, Kindred. Could you elaborate?

You contrast Harriet Jacobs, who was prohibited from directly describing sexual abuse she endured, and the character Essun, who, Jemisin writes, is raped in captivity and then has MMF threesomes afterward to reclaim/assert her sexual agency. Okay. I’m left wondering what you’re trying to say here. Are you arguing that it’s a reimagining of a slave narrative because, unlike Harriet Jacobs, Essun has great sex? Is that it? Is that the only difference, and we’re supposed to take the rest as just a story set in the fantasy South? I guess this is sort of the same as the last question.

Is your answer to both of those questions ‘You know this is speculative fiction, right?’

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 7, 2020

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

nankeen posted:

nowadays this thread is like an army that's lost its joan of arc

the trial of Jeanne d'Arc is one of the earliest examples of 'cancel culture'

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Disco Pope posted:

I’m finding the sci-fi/speculative fiction distinction discussion interesting and I’m a little surprised that the consensus seems to be that they’re basically synonymous.

I would say that if I’m discussing books with people, and if they’ve even heard of the term, I’ll get more recommendations along the Atwood/Ballard/Vonnegut/Ling Ma route than the Tolkien, Asimov, Gibson kind of route.

I typically thought about it as scientific vs philosophical or social speculation, but that doesn’t feel like a satisfying distinction.

This article does a pretty good job outlining the two main sides in the argument. I'm almost 100% with Le Guin here, in that I think Atwood and others' use of the term 'speculative fiction' is motivated mainly by fear of being consigned to a literary ghetto with Ernest Cline and GRRM. That fear is well grounded — if Barnes & Noble shelves The Blind Assassin between Bimbos From Neptune and the Halo 5 companion novel, it won't sell; the people browsing that section are looking for books like Bimbos From Neptune and the Halo 5 companion novel. That is a legitimate reason for an author to balk at the sci-fi label, but it shouldn't mean anything to us talking about it here.

Sci-fi authors, who after all need to eat, can quibble about how their books are marketed. We don't have to. We know that a genre label isn't a stamp of quality: mountains of forgettable trash gets published as 'literary fiction' every year, while respectable critics usually ignore even the best sci-fi. As the mass of readers, what we're really interested in is getting to read more good books. And we do that by taking even genre fiction seriously, by reading it critically and holding it to a high standard. This is what Le Guin is saying — that we should elevate sci-fi, not isolate it.

e: Where I disagree w/ Le Guin is what I posted in the first section of that screed about Jemisin. I think 'speculative fiction' works narrowly as an umbrella term.

e2:

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Name one thing I can't blame on capitalism.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Runcible Cat posted:

Pat Murphy's There and Back Again is The Hobbit, but rewritten as SF; the protagonist lives in a hollowed-out asteroid before going on a treasure hunt with a gang of clones and a dodgy cyborg adventurer. That's a terrible definition of fantasy.

okay