Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Given the amount of thread diversions for netflix shows of the week thought it would make sense to crank a seperate thread for reviews and discussions

Post shows or movies you are watching on Netflix.

For a history show I would recommend The Great Game on Netflix presented by Rory Stewart since covers all the various British mis-adventures from the Great Game area and also the Soviet Invasion in 80s.

The presenter was also crazy enough to walk across Afghanistan in 2002 and the show features on-location shooting for all the areas associated with the story being told.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80095867

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i used that vid last month to put my dad to sleep when he visited against my wishes, hth

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i recommend One of Us. it's a documentary about three people who have been exiled from three different Hasidic Jewish communities, two in Brooklyn and one in upstate NY. even if you know about how these communities function, it's worth watching

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

i recommend One of Us. it's a documentary about three people who have been exiled from three different Hasidic Jewish communities, two in Brooklyn and one in upstate NY. even if you know about how these communities function, it's worth watching

I hear it's like trying to leave the mafia and how they always try to hijack public funding for their anime wall scroll schools.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

etalian posted:

I hear it's like trying to leave the mafia and how they always try to hijack public funding for their anime wall scroll schools.
pretty much

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
love death and robots is pretty neat, the last episode is a real fuckin glory to the Soviet Union banger

the last order, I think it’s called? dunno.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

etalian posted:

i'll correct myself here. it's kind of like leaving the mafia, except instead of hunting you down and killing you, they completely isolate you from their community, which is a kind of death in and of itself. it's amazing how sheltered they are and how good they are at keeping people ignorant of the outside world

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

love death and robots is pretty neat, the last episode is a real fuckin glory to the Soviet Union banger

the last order, I think it’s called? dunno.

The Secret War, I enjoyed the series but people are right about it being hit & miss in terms of quality.

Short stories are pretty challenging format especially since a majority of episodes are under 15 minutes.

Best episodes if I had to pick 5:
-Sonnie
-Beyond the Aquila Rift
-Good Hunting
-Zima Blue
-The Secret War

Awesome visually but story not so much
-Fish Night
-The Witness

etalian has issued a correction as of 20:45 on Mar 17, 2019

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
My wife has been making fun of me for watching Marie Kondo’s show. Really I just love throwing poo poo away and our basement is full of junk from her childhood home that does not spark joy and I wish I could toss.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I really gotta give a strong recommendation for Hitler's Circle of Evil - it's all about the fuhrer's top-level commanders and confidantes and all the internecine politicking and personal goals and plots they carried out. It plots the entire arc of the third reich from its incarnation in the beer halls to the fall of Berlin and it's a really fascinating glimpse into just how insanely hosed up and self-sabotaging the whole nazi leadership was, with a lot of disturbing parallels to the modern day

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Lorena on Amazon Prime is a pretty good 4-part doc on the Bobbitt affair. I had forgotten a lot of the details and didn't know much about John Bobbitt's various atrocities post-trial. It was a crazy time, the OJ trial and the Clinton blowjob were happening contemporaneously to one of the two trials. It's not an Errol Morris quality documentary but it's watchable.

I'm rewatching the last season of Bosch because they have a new season coming out in a month, it focuses largely on police brutality and political corruption in LA so it counts as C-SPAM material goddammit. The show is a pretty typical detective genre entry but it's way, way better than it has any right to be.

edit: forgot to mention that Netflix and Hulu both have good docs on the Fyre Festival fiasco and that poo poo was off the hook so watch whichever you have access to or both if you can. If you haven't seen this clip, it's an all-timer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frdn9iO1mUM

Filthy Hans has issued a correction as of 16:10 on Mar 18, 2019

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Buck Wildman posted:

I really gotta give a strong recommendation for Hitler's Circle of Evil - it's all about the fuhrer's top-level commanders and confidantes and all the internecine politicking and personal goals and plots they carried out. It plots the entire arc of the third reich from its incarnation in the beer halls to the fall of Berlin and it's a really fascinating glimpse into just how insanely hosed up and self-sabotaging the whole nazi leadership was, with a lot of disturbing parallels to the modern day

Yeah it's hard not to think of the incompetence, brown nosing and outright backstabbing seen in everyone's favorite Trump Administration.

Also how similar to Hitler Trump enjoyed this incredibly dysfunctional work culture since it made him the center of attention and power.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

etalian posted:

Yeah it's hard not to think of the incompetence, brown nosing and outright backstabbing seen in everyone's favorite Trump Administration.

Also how similar to Hitler Trump enjoyed this incredibly dysfunctional work culture since it made him the center of attention and power.

my favorite moment in the whole thing was near the end when they all made this near lethal trip to throw a birthday party for Hitler, in a bombed out hotel in Berlin, while the city was under bombardment by the allies

all these people who p much mutually loath each other silently standing in the rumbling hotel with champagne glasses trying desperately to pretend they're having a normal one so the big man will be happy

it's a really good watch and a top recommendation if you have Netflix

VVVVVVVVV yeah my brother and I watched that and it's also really good

Buck Wildman has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Mar 18, 2019

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

kinda out of left field but i saw some movie I never heard of on Amazon called Embrace of the Serpent the other night and it was one of the best movies ive ever seen. basically about the colonization of the Amazon in the early 20th century through the perspective of one guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ff7TcnqHUc

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The new HBO Theranos documentary is fuckin' mandatory viewing, it's completely loving nuts

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

The new HBO Theranos documentary is fuckin' mandatory viewing, it's completely loving nuts

Drops voice a few octaves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtDaP18OGfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i just watched the jojo series on netflix, would recommend