Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://observer.com/2017/05/john-oliver-property-tax-scam-trump/

gas this trash thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

this is just as dumb as the gotcha bullshit that these not-funny comedians specialize in, but lol all the same

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
it is reasonably decent to throw in front of your liberal friends to maybe get them to process some information provided the episode isn't about american electoral politics or foreign policy, in which case it is absolute trash garbage.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bushiz posted:

it is reasonably decent to throw in front of your liberal friends to maybe get them to process some information provided the episode isn't about american electoral politics or foreign policy, in which case it is absolute trash garbage.
i suppose there are worse sources of information, but the problem is that they're lectures with pop culture references thrown in and therefore boring as gently caress. there is nothing funny about LWT

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i think having people at the top of the left wing funnel is good and necessary, op

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

show sucks poo poo op

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
welcome to the succ show

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

thanks for letting us know Jared Kushners take.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

As a queer person it makes me so wonderfully and incredibly happy to know that John Oliver’s Marlon Bundo book has sold so many copies they have to do a second printing. I am in awe of how many people want to tell Pence to gently caress off with his anti-LGBTQ+ rhetoric/history and donate to LGBTQ+ charities. It sounds silly but I almost cried seeing the support. I want to believe that the children whose parents/caretakers are buying this book for them won’t have to grow up as confused and lost as so many of us did. I hope they read this book about a little gay bunny and learn to love their friends who will someday come out to them and love themselves if they discover they are queer. I hope that all the queer adults who bought it will finally have a book they should’ve had when they were kids about love and acceptance. I hope we keep putting this kind of love and kindness and protection of the queer community out into the world

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a.lo posted:

As a queer person it makes me so wonderfully and incredibly happy to know that John Oliver’s Marlon Bundo book has sold so many copies they have to do a second printing. I am in awe of how many people want to tell Pence to gently caress off with his anti-LGBTQ+ rhetoric/history and donate to LGBTQ+ charities. It sounds silly but I almost cried seeing the support. I want to believe that the children whose parents/caretakers are buying this book for them won’t have to grow up as confused and lost as so many of us did. I hope they read this book about a little gay bunny and learn to love their friends who will someday come out to them and love themselves if they discover they are queer. I hope that all the queer adults who bought it will finally have a book they should’ve had when they were kids about love and acceptance. I hope we keep putting this kind of love and kindness and protection of the queer community out into the world
fuckin christ, if J/O is your idea of a social justice savior then you need your head checked

yes, i know this is (probably) a quote from somewhere else, so i'm just saying that in general

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
i think it's funny but do not use it as a source of information. there are plenty of other places to get The Right Left comedy, and I consume those as well

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Welp the new episode is up on HBO now! Let's see if it's as bad by leftist standards as you say it is!

(Yes, if it's about foreign policy or the primary you can count on the parent company to gently caress this up. In the end I bet John Oliver has much less control over what airs than he'd like. He's just one comedian out of hundreds of people working on the project, including lots of influence from corporate folks who probably are not a positive impact on what the message is)

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
First words out of his mouth as this new episode opens, is referring to the New Zealand shooter as a white supremacist

edit: Called Frasier Anning a huge loving rear end in a top hat for referring to Muslims as terrorists

These are not takes that you get on mainstream television often folks, they should be but that's where we're at right now

The left may not claim him as one of their own but he's the closest thing we've got and we ought to give the non-bad episodes credit where it's due

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 05:49 on Mar 18, 2019

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

get that OUT of my face posted:

fuckin christ, if J/O is your idea of a social justice savior then you need your head checked

yes, i know this is (probably) a quote from somewhere else, so i'm just saying that in general

that person is praising support for oliver's book, not for oliver himself. it is not unreasonable to feel happy about a showing of support for an issue that is important to you.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

op doesn't have a good reading of the room in regards to cspam

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

that person is praising support for oliver's book, not for oliver himself. it is not unreasonable to feel happy about a showing of support for an issue that is important to you.

CSPAM is just in a bad mood today. The 20 most pissed off people happened to be logged on today and almost nobody else. I think the NZ shooting scared the more cheerful people away from news for a few days, which if so isn't a bad outcome because we need those types to maintain their positivity.

Folks, enjoy something that's well produced and OFTEN lines up with your goals. Just enjoy something.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I hope John Oliver gets shot to death sooner rather than later OP

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Ok here it is, main segment is starting. Topic of tonight's is "public shaming", the effects of internet dogpiling, and a soundbyte of "some people online are just looking for an excuse to be angry".

Giving a disappointed look now at this room I "misread"

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
how can it be last week AND tonight? huh? time doesnt fucki nwork that way m8

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i liked lwt at the start, because they focused on international stories, their thing about tobacco sales in developing countries was crazy neat, nobody else in that pundit/variety circle did stuff like that

post-escalator lwt has been nothing but that really weird/sad liberal thing where they're all desperately laughing through their own psychosis and like everything from jokes to content is centered around being therapeutic for everyone traumatized by Orange Man Being President so obviously its liberalishness is on display and it turns out john oliver is a succ moron but hey

i still liked their international segments a whole lot, covering stories that are just like totally ignored by our domestic media

but being interesting and funny is a pre-donnie luxury i guess

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Dumb Lowtax posted:

CSPAM is just in a bad mood today. The 20 most pissed off people happened to be logged on today and almost nobody else. I think the NZ shooting scared the more cheerful people away from news for a few days, which if so isn't a bad outcome because we need those types to maintain their positivity.

Folks, enjoy something that's well produced and OFTEN lines up with your goals. Just enjoy something.

No.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

basic hitler posted:

i liked lwt at the start, because they focused on international stories, their thing about tobacco sales in developing countries was crazy neat, nobody else in that pundit/variety circle did stuff like that

post-escalator lwt has been nothing but that really weird/sad liberal thing where they're all desperately laughing through their own psychosis and like everything from jokes to content is centered around being therapeutic for everyone traumatized by Orange Man Being President so obviously its liberalishness is on display and it turns out john oliver is a succ moron but hey

i still liked their international segments a whole lot, covering stories that are just like totally ignored by our domestic media

Almost 100% of those segments I posted where he promoted leftist causes are post-escalator or even very recent

His main segments are almost never on Trump, and instead serve to direct people's attention away from the 24 hour news cycle horseshit onto something else that needs more serious long-term attention

Big Poop
Jan 12, 2019

by R. Guyovich

GalacticAcid posted:

I hope John Oliver gets shot to death sooner rather than later OP

Very normal post

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
What’s wrong with a little optimism

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
This show right now: "internet pile-ons can destroy people's lives"

*looks around the room*

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
wow, deep

Dec 26, 2012

basic hitler posted:

this is how i felt initially and then i realized at the end of every "good" episode there was rarely if ever anything suggesting that there was anything that anyone could do about every problem mentioned and the attempts at humor got worse and worse

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
john oliver was at least self aware of the nonmattering of calling out trump scandal n+1 like this is the one and he's totally done for now, so it's got that over every other liberal media

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Here's a segment on a lady that got dogpiled so bad she had to change her identity

Looking into my options for that too

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

01011001 posted:

this is how i felt initially and then i realized at the end of every "good" episode there was rarely if ever anything suggesting that there was anything that anyone could do about every problem mentioned and the attempts at humor got worse and worse

Centrists/liberals will always do whatever makes it seem like things can never be any way besides what they are right now, nothing can ever change, other examples around the world be damned. This show isn't great at breaking from that, but if an episode makes you mad enough you'll go to other sources to find your own solutions.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
last cuck tonight with johnny trigger warning

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://twitter.com/LastWeekTonight/status/704161912246898688

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
if tonights show provoked righteous anger please remember to call your elected representatives to beg for mercy, and never, ever act to challenge the legitimacy of the system ok tune in next week bye!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
He just told Jay Leno to go gently caress himself after airing a few damning clips of him

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

has he made donald drumpf again yet

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

make dolam trumbo again

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

man has clearly been plagiarising the other cspam trump thread lowtax fuckin sue this goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Dumb Lowtax posted:

He just told Jay Leno to go gently caress himself after airing a few damning clips of him
this is embarrassing