Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
im john oliver please don't be mean to my show it's popular and better than bill maher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I feel kinda bad since dumb lowtax put effort into the OP so I leave this thread in peace, to those who enjoy the program

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

GalacticAcid posted:

I feel kinda bad since dumb lowtax put effort into the OP so I leave this thread in peace, to those who enjoy the program

Thanks it's page four now

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
And nobody watched the episode

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Comedy that tries to simultaneously "inform you" and ends up being a bunch of essays with really lovely jokes thrown in to justify its genre really seems bad to me. Old Daily Show seemed to at least be laughing at the news, but John Oliver just seemed to take that formula to the wrong end, which was actually accepting that people should get their news from comedy programs. It just ends up diluting the message, because news is about exactness, and comedy relies on broadness.

What I'm saying is, Eric Andre is probably more educational than John Oliver.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
what we need is a bill nye the science (of marxist-leninism) guy

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
i meant that as a joke but now that i sit with it a minute im unsure if i was not, on some level, earnest

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Dumb Lowtax posted:

i'll watch it in the morning over breakfast with my wife like we usually do on monday

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
john oliver's show is pretty good at times while lovely other times dnd just takes the dude too seriously

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Typo posted:

john oliver's show is pretty good at times while lovely other times dnd just takes the dude too seriously

:agreed: He's good when he stays off of foreign policy and doesn't do the Drumpf thing, which he thankfully hasn't since 2016.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

john oliver is weak his cum dribbles like water from his piss slit

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
john oliver is okay-ish

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

:thunk:

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/satirized-consumption

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The very first episode they had fareed zakhara on to talk about how cool Modhi and the BJP are and jon never once brought up the massacre. I watched that and decided to stop.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
I hope John Oliver gets an incurable parasite that eats him from the inside out any day now.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

this guy seems to be a liberal, op

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Mordekai posted:

I hope John Oliver gets an incurable parasite that eats him from the inside out any day now.

this testing-the-boundaries poo poo is really stupid and i don't know why people over the age of 6 do it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
His wife is hot i think

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

R. Guyovich posted:

this testing-the-boundaries poo poo is really stupid and i don't know why people over the age of 6 do it.

I just really really really despise John Oliver. A non-rational instinctive antipathy towards his face, voice and demeanor. It is 100 % sincere posting on my part.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Also featured this episode: An unreserved statement that Jussie Smollett is to be believed

Remind me again what's the centrist / lib take on believing Smollett or even publicizing corrections to something

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah it's a good ep

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
John Oliver has an imperfect record but he is putting left wing ideas on the air on new unheard of topics every week moreso than any other TV personality.

And keep in mind that he's beholden to a big company and doesn't have total freedom over his show, yet still brings as many important but unknown left wing causes to light

He's putting many of YOUR causes on the air when no one else is

If this is how you all bitch and moan any time one of our useful allies happens to become popular and successful, holding them to a standard of perfection and visible poverty or else they get the leftist circular firing squad, then I can kind of kind of understand why we are lacking for real leaders and public figures

Maybe don't do that

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I like the show and think it's more good than bad but I will not die with you in this foxhole

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dumb Lowtax posted:

John Oliver has an imperfect record but he is putting left wing ideas on the air on new unheard of topics every week moreso than any other TV personality.

And keep in mind that he's beholden to a big company and doesn't have total freedom over his show, yet still brings as many important but unknown left wing causes to light

He's putting many of YOUR causes on the air when no one else is

If this is how you all bitch and moan any time one of our useful allies happens to become popular and successful, holding them to a standard of perfection or else they get the leftist circular firing squad, then I can kind of kind of understand why we are lacking for real leaders and public figures

Maybe don't do that

Your definition of left wing is wrong if John Oliver is putting out left wing ideas. Left offer Hilary Clinton doesn't mean left wing.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

forkboy84 posted:

Your definition of left wing is wrong if John Oliver is putting out left wing ideas. Left offer Hilary Clinton doesn't mean left wing.

Then let's just say that he's putting good causes on the air that you and everyone here agrees with, whether they've seen it or not

And they're farther left than other TV people.

How's that?

No, he is not really leftist nor is he someone who openly states our institutions need to be destroyed and are failing people en masse. He is part of a team with HBO, a vast company owned by AT&T and no that is not an idea that they will put on the air. Instead he focuses on individual injustices that no one else campaigns about fixing. And coming to the defense of wronged individuals when no one else will.

That may not be left but it isn't bad either.

edit: The reason I posted this in CSPAM is I was hoping to find some genuine critiques (with effort) of what's not leftest about this show while otherwise joking about and enjoying a mostly enjoyable show. That would have been a fine thing to exist without pages of hateful drive by making GBS threads, but CSPAM cannot let themselves enjoy anything. I'm glad we got a couple of the former efforts but drat some of you need to find better things to do

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 14:11 on Mar 18, 2019

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dumb Lowtax posted:

If this is how you all bitch and moan any time one of our useful allies happens to become popular and successful, holding them to a standard of perfection and visible poverty or else they get the leftist circular firing squad, then I can kind of kind of understand why we are lacking for real leaders and public figures

Maybe don't do that

gently caress this and gently caress you and gently caress John Oliver

Zero calls to action, just make a joke about Janice again and make everyone forget that there was an actual problem being discussed.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

drumpf

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

If John Oliver was deported I would feel a little bad

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Prav posted:

this guy seems to be a liberal, op

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

His show ain't perfect but it's entertaining and sheds light on stuff far more people should know about

Welp that's my controversial opinion thanks for readin

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

It's a television show. And one that I enjoy usually. That's all it is and all it should be.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Screamy posh man needs to stop with the half measure where you just sing a dirty song and instead go full commie

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
John Oliver had a story about creditors where he bought up & forgave debt but refused to even mention largescale government debt forgiveness as a strategy despite namechecking groups who support it.

The show's whatever but this thread sucks rear end.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

John Oliver had a story about creditors where he bought up & forgave debt but refused to even mention largescale government debt forgiveness as a strategy despite namechecking groups who support it.

The show's whatever but this thread sucks rear end.

Yeah, I'm kind of mixed (if not outright negative) about stuff like this show because it brings up serious issues but in a weird way that omits any possibility of addressing them. It's like it's trying to preemptively address issues the actual left might address in a way that isn't threatening to the status quo.

edit: also, it's always funny when folks like the OP are confronted with the fact that others on the left disagree with them and react by lashing out and blaming them for purity testing and what have you

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
good research staff, god awful comedy writers

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

John Oliver sold out as soon as he left The Bugle

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

John Oliver doesn’t spend his hour screaming Full Communism Now at the camera so therefore he is bad let me post a few Breitbart links discussing further reasons why he is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva

bird with big dick posted:

John Oliver doesn’t spend his hour screaming Full Communism Now at the camera so therefore he is bad