Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm not reading this topic because I want to avoid any potential surprises and spoilers but holy poo poo this game is incredible and I love it. I didn't expect it to be so deep and have fun puzzles to work out that make me feel smart while tickling my nostalgia and making me genuinely laugh so hard. A huge congratulations to everyone involved in making this game and it absolutely deserves discussion in any Game of the Year debates because I've never seen a concept nailed so perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm going to murder the man responsible for the Granny's Cream jingle

Please get it out of my loving head

Also gently caress Gooper but I ain't banning those responsible for posting him. They can think they're making a stand but they're printing me hypnocoins

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm at the archive so I think I've reached the end of the game - 12 hours in - and holy poo poo what a ride.

Even crazier is the fact (endgame mechanic) you can go back and forth between the game's "eras" and a lot of the content I only found midway through the game is present in the early version too, with its own era-appropiate updates. I love how simple the archive tool makes it to follow throughlines. There's a bunch of software I couldn't have possibly thought to look for as well and now I can rip songs from all the different websites! Nice!.

Also (endgame story) seeing Zane, Tiffany and Roddy in the list of causalities was heartbreaking :smith:

Honestly if the game had DLC which were just more zones and unlisted pages to read through I'd buy it right away. I loving loved the entire ride through and finding weird stuff is such a treat.

Wish it was easier to rip graphics off pages to use on my Hypnospace desktop though. gently caress I wanted a dragon to adopt

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 17, 2019

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm so happy Hypnospace's songs are on Spotify but Alexa can't figure out how to play Granny Cream's Hot Butter Ice Cream

I do not want Hot Butter by the band Ice Cream, you loving idiot, no

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I want people to make so many Hypnopages we effectively have a nearly infinite alternate history internet

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just got the credits after spending far too long spinning my wheels it never occured to me to search for leakypipes, I just assumed it was software with a missing download link - duuurr and in total clocked 20 hours. I did spend a fair few being stuck on the archives but only because I was going off in strange directions, but a lot of it was genuinely just having fun looking for things and loving about with programs, stickers and desktops. I have some 70% of pages archived so there's still plenty to see out there, I'm sure - wish it would give some hint to the tags that I should type in so I don't need to look up a list though. Maybe a few letters.

Otherwise I loved the experience and can't wait to see what people do with the workshop support. As I said previously this game just nails the concept and all of the pages were a pleasure to read. I'd turn my second monitor off and just browse Hypnospace in the dark and it was like being a kid again. Fantastic job.

I'm not sure if I'm misremembering but I think it was mentioned that Cyberworldz is supposed to be in 3d? I'd love to see another Hypnospace style game but this time exploring a simulated 3d chatroom/social hub kind of software like Active Worlds or an early version of Second Life, primitive late 90's/early 2000's graphics present and correct. Like the Zones in Hypnospace you could have themed areas with inhabitants who show up from time to time that you could monitor the chatlogs of, and as time goes on the company who runs it could introduce new software updates that shits up the core functionality or harsh moderators/restrictions for paid and unpaid users so you could see how it impacts the societies that form within it. You could be an invisible observer, similar to Hypnospace's Enforcers, to avoid the whole "There are people here but I can't interact with them" thing.

Yeah I know I could just boot up Second Life and see for myself what a wreckage it is now (And I have, those empty lots are pure nostalgia hurting juice) but I grew so attached to the characters of Hypnospace that I think a concept like this where you'd see logs from people who had visited the zones and could maybe play back their actions would be really neat. I think a lot of it is seeing those animations in the tutorial videos you're given - that immediately gave me Active World vibes and I was actually kind of suspecting the game would go that direction. More than anything I just want to explore some bizarre janky 3d worlds circa 99.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just considered an alternate route that could've been taken that might have (endgame spoilers) prevented Tiff from dying. On her "HSPD look here" page you get some examples of Corey and Zane harassing her on the chat program - what if you could correctly flag those as harassment, but since it's technically her account you're raising violations against, you could then flag her and get her banned? True, it's up to other members to actually ban her for the content that's been provided so they'd be more inclined to ban Corey & Zane again, but they might consider it healthy to give her a "time out" too - potentially saving her in the process. Mindcrash would still have taken out other people in the process with Tim going down for their deaths, but at least he wouldn't be tortured with Tiff's death. As a teenager I used to participate in Corey's level of bullshit and it broke my heart I couldn't do anything about those horrible chatlogs knowing how it makes people feel.

Also I feel no mercy with banning Sherri. You're playing with that goofy dude's heart, you're clearly older than you make yourself out to be while taking him for a ride and if you can make money being a psychic online you can do it in real life :colbert:. I'm sorry for breaking his heart but it's better this way.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It's bottles of liquid nitrogen with flavoring

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Interestingly enough it's also a quirk of the game that HypnOS will run slower if you try to do too much with it - music player tends to give it a real headache. Maybe try running less in the game as well in case you're also simulating slowdown in top of real slowdown.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Wow I didn't realise the slowdown was actually unintentional. Did you add the Restart button purely because of it? In a way if it ever gets fixed I'd like an option to simulate if

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Yeah but the whole thing about it basically stopping you from actually sleeping while using it, which is widely considered in the medical field as Really Fuckin Bad, is several levels worse than most "didn't take off" services and is probably cause for all sleeptime tech to be shuttered down immediately in the public eyes and then worked on behind the scenes by the goverment and stuff

Geocities and Angelfire caused brain rot through content alone so maybe it's not so different v:shobon:v

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

BattleMaster posted:

lore question:

Was Zane's girlfriend real and sharing his headband (hence why they have the same headband ID), or was she made up by him?

Made up. Corey does the same thing as well to reflect that both of them are as bad as each other - I think Corey spoofs his though but I can't recall. They both go after Tiff so I bet the "breakups" were to backpedal on their lies so they couldn't get called out.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 6, 2019

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Hypnospace is a slow burn but the only things you need to have a love for to enjoy it are

1) Nostalgia or curiosity about 1999's internet and how people used to approach it
2) Puzzles that range from initially straightforward to various degrees of deductive thought and attention to detail in the endgame
3) Enough time to sit down and read, because the game is 9/10ths reading and the last 1/10th is enjoying a poo poo-ton of bespoke and often hilarious tunes

There's a poo poo-ton of fluff to read that has nothing to do with the core story but it's full of charm, wonderfully written and there's a whole lot of overlap between a cast of characters you probably never expected to see. Giantbomb's quicklook is a great video for it and I was already sold before I saw it, watching it definitely solidified the choice to buy it for me. For the price and assuming you check all the "This is my poo poo" boxes, you get a ton of content and I haven't even found it all. Over twenty hours exploring Hypnospace and I'd shell out for more DLC that adds more zones and puzzles in a heartbeat.

If you only have like four hours or so a week to play it I'd still say it's worth a look over since it's casual as hell with no timer and very little penalty for failure, but it's still more of a game than Gone Home if you want to compare it to that. There's genuine deduction to do and you need to have an appreciation for the games logic to get by.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

nooooothing left for meeeeeee, it's the ultimate jone(?)

Ultimate joke or ultimate doom I think

https://genius.com/Seepage-nothing-left-for-me-lyrics is probably the closest one I've seen

Hypnodevs please release the actual lyrics to this Very Important Song :colbert:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Gonna make a Hypnospace page demanding a demo of the newest SquisherZ game

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
What they should really focus on is making SquisherZ stickers so I can put them everywhere

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Stickman posted:

Dt[[eeseraeaAceawszsaradZxwRdt=srzstur4.8.4//wSaazsstsehvi r=f

GearHeadGreg helped me get my Hypnospace page running great if you're having trouble with the creator!! I have pictures of all my family and cats on my page (though you could say that the cats are my family! haha!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Hey woah what's the Hypnospace thread doing on the front pa

The_Doctor posted:

The future of Hypnospace... is soon.

Tune in to Hypnospace Next on April 5, to discover what's next for the Hypnospace universe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufMl2DlWX7w

OHHHHHHH MY

I am disgustingly excited. Played through HS three times and I've got them to thank for following Hot Dad and Dan Warren (Barnaby's Chair). I'll basically buy anything following it from this point on