Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Sanguinia posted:

I really wonder if there's some tiny sliver of a chance Mitch loses his seat. The last I heard the Democrat was ahead in the polls for KY-Gov.

As of February, only 33% of Kentucky voters approved of him. But, it's Kentucky and he's probably got more money than everyone else in the state combined along with no scruples at all, so I imagine he's much safer than the numbers would indicate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Welome new white house press secretary Dana Loesch

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

EngineerJoe posted:

They can bond over making GBS threads their pants

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
anyone got a good resource for someone looking to expand their political knowledge beyond "I feel intuitively that this particular policy would be good". something that breaks down pros and cons would be good, it can even be a book. she's already 27...

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/JerryFalwellJr/status/1143613031450103813

Man, did I pick the wrong decade to convert to atheism

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

EngineerJoe posted:

I would not put that past him. :sigh:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/JoeCrowleyNY/status/1143577524322152448

Soo soo sweet.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

bobjr posted:

They can bond over making GBS threads their pants

I thought that was Loomer

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ershalim posted:

As of February, only 33% of Kentucky voters approved of him. But, it's Kentucky and he's probably got more money than everyone else in the state combined along with no scruples at all, so I imagine he's much safer than the numbers would indicate.

If I recall correctly McConnell has an odd tendency to poll really badly but suddenly surge just in time to get a decisive win thanks to his opponents being swift boated or otherwise deluged with a flood of negative bullshit ads from various pacs.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
So that Tiffany Caban lady won, congratulations Queens :)

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Also wayfair is getting slammed in their app reviews lol.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Relin posted:

anyone got a good resource for someone looking to expand their political knowledge beyond "I feel intuitively that this particular policy would be good". something that breaks down pros and cons would be good, it can even be a book. she's already 27...

https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1848/communist-manifesto/

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Jealous Cow posted:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1143698312555618307

Democrats pass bill funding concentration camps.

Cool cool

I've been thinking about this a lot today and I'm hoping someone with more experience with this stuff can let me know if my thinking makes sense. Let me know if this comes off as trolling and I'll shut the gently caress up and read more.

The obvious right wing argument I can see is this: "So you don't want companies to supply beds, toothpaste, soap, or medicine to the camps, but you are also passing funding for these camps. What the gently caress are they going to do with the funding if no one will sell to them? Aren't you just making matters worse for these kids you pretend to care about." (I'm sure it would be more stupidly presented)

My thoughts are: making a profit off concentration camps is obviously reprehensible, which is one reason private prisons should be abolished entirely. The solution is to not run a loving concentration camp.

And even Democrats will say, "But Trump will just keep running them, so you're just multiplying the suffering of innocent kids and families." I'm not quite sure what to think at this point. First, I get it, but that's just means we'll yield to the monsters as long as they promise to keep being monsters. Not a recipe for change. But what if they really do just keep being monsters. Is it just that the status quo is unacceptable and the only way to change it is to boycott the suppliers, show up at the camps day after day, confront the evil and complacent politicians at every opportunity, and try to force change, even if it increases the suffering in the camps for the short term.

That MLK quote someone posted 1000 pages ago yesterday about how you can't just play along, work within the system, and wait until the time is right to fight for your rights resonates pretty strongly with me. He put his life on the line to force change rather than playing along which I'm really not sure I'm capable of, but sitting at my keyboard urging boycotts of suppliers, or driving 40 miles to the nearest camp to participate in an organized (though not authorized) protest which I certainly can do seems like I'm offloading the suffering from me onto the folks in the camps.

As to actually getting supplies, my guess is that if they are actually low on soap, pampers, whatever, that they would be able to get them despite public boycotts especially if they were loving government-run rather than private, but I'm sure we will hear that if Democrats blocked funding we'd hear endlessly about how "those lefties who claim to care about the kids won't actually pass our Republican "Soap and Medicine for Infants" bill". I just don't know how much to care about that kind of argument, since they'll make some disingenuous argument regardless.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if you dont want regressives doing the eco fasim, then convince stupid non regressives that atoms are good and let atoms be the base load and build so many atom plants that energy abundance or even excess becomes a thing.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004
Don't touch the poop. Levitate the poop.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Loud D-S-A chants over Caban's speech.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Malachi Constant posted:

I've been thinking about this a lot today and I'm hoping someone with more experience with this stuff can let me know if my thinking makes sense. Let me know if this comes off as trolling and I'll shut the gently caress up and read more.

I'm honestly not really sure what your point/question is. You understand the republicans are disingenuous, you know the democrat response will be inadequate, and you point to MLK risking himself to bust up the system. That's... accurate? If you're worried about hurting people in the camps by boycotting the camps, then you need to be aware that that's the point of taking a hostage. Like, using the immigrants against other immigrants is part of the point, but using them against political enemies is also entirely intentional.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

cr0y posted:

Also wayfair is getting slammed in their app reviews lol.

And they’re getting wrecked on fabebook.

Lol just lol

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

SpeakSlow posted:

Don't touch the poop. Levitate the poop.

wingardiam levideucea

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Laughed pretty hard at this silly joke then laughed some more at betos dumb rear end

https://twitter.com/BassoonJokes/status/1143599346757357569?s=19

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Pretty, pretty good days work, thread.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
man it sure would be nice if even a single news article gave a link to or the name/number of the house border money bill

:argh:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

GreyjoyBastard posted:

man it sure would be nice if even a single news article gave a link to or the name/number of the house border money bill

:argh:

It infuriates me that articles don't do this especially since it's all online now.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Ershalim posted:

I'm honestly not really sure what your point/question is. You understand the republicans are disingenuous, you know the democrat response will be inadequate, and you point to MLK risking himself to bust up the system. That's... accurate? If you're worried about hurting people in the camps by boycotting the camps, then you need to be aware that that's the point of taking a hostage. Like, using the immigrants against other immigrants is part of the point, but using them against political enemies is also entirely intentional.

Yeah, I guess maybe its how to explain this quickly or something (if my reasoning makes sense)? It's just the quick "Oh you wanna help the kids but not pay for their beds? Liberal loony!" thing.

Edit: hell yeah, Caban.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

So that Tiffany Caban lady won, congratulations Queens :)

genuinely major win, congrats any Queens goons itt

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Malachi Constant posted:

The obvious right wing argument I can see is this: "So you don't want companies to supply beds, toothpaste, soap, or medicine to the camps, but you are also passing funding for these camps. What the gently caress are they going to do with the funding if no one will sell to them? Aren't you just making matters worse for these kids you pretend to care about." (I'm sure it would be more stupidly presented)

My thoughts are: making a profit off concentration camps is obviously reprehensible, which is one reason private prisons should be abolished entirely. The solution is to not run a loving concentration camp.

And even Democrats will say, "But Trump will just keep running them, so you're just multiplying the suffering of innocent kids and families." I'm not quite sure what to think at this point. First, I get it, but that's just means we'll yield to the monsters as long as they promise to keep being monsters. Not a recipe for change. But what if they really do just keep being monsters. Is it just that the status quo is unacceptable and the only way to change it is to boycott the suppliers, show up at the camps day after day, confront the evil and complacent politicians at every opportunity, and try to force change, even if it increases the suffering in the camps for the short term.

That MLK quote someone posted 1000 pages ago yesterday about how you can't just play along, work within the system, and wait until the time is right to fight for your rights resonates pretty strongly with me. He put his life on the line to force change rather than playing along which I'm really not sure I'm capable of, but sitting at my keyboard urging boycotts of suppliers, or driving 40 miles to the nearest camp to participate in an organized (though not authorized) protest which I certainly can do seems like I'm offloading the suffering from me onto the folks in the camps.

As to actually getting supplies, my guess is that if they are actually low on soap, pampers, whatever, that they would be able to get them despite public boycotts especially if they were loving government-run rather than private, but I'm sure we will hear that if Democrats blocked funding we'd hear endlessly about how "those lefties who claim to care about the kids won't actually pass our Republican "Soap and Medicine for Infants" bill". I just don't know how much to care about that kind of argument, since they'll make some disingenuous argument regardless.

Look I hear you, and I understand how you thinking about this. I empathize completely with the internal dilemma you're facing here.

As someone who has spent their life confronting this particular form of madness, and has fought it both directky and indirectly many times, I can tell you I have personally found that the only way that consistently works is to charge ahead and confront the bastards- and you don't give one kind of poo poo about what they say or do in response. Because their response is actually irrelevant.

The goal we pursue is to close child concentration camps. This is a just goal, and this kind of fight changes the rules. Of course they will intentionally hurt the children if they encounter resistance- abusers always increase their abuse if they are confronted about their abuse. You can't let that stop you unfortunately, because if left to their own devices the abusers will just escalate until they inevitably kill their victims anyways.

You confront evil directly, vocally, publicly, remorselessly, and unrepentantly. That's the only way you can deal with evil like this. And make no mistake, this is true evil we are facing. This is what real, human evil is. This is what it looks like, this is how it hurts people, and it doesn't stop until it's stopped by an external force.

It sucks real bad that all those children are under the power of such monsters, and it sucks even worse that once the monsters know we care enough about the kids to fight them- that they'll use that caring as their first and foremost weapon against us.

They will try to weaponize our human empathy as their first response to true resistance. They will try to hold us all emotionally hostage and shift responsibility for their abuse on to the people speaking up against the abuse. This is how the game works, their is only one winning countermove: don't play the game. Under no circumstances participate in any form of the game. Keep attacking and exposing their Injustice is, relentlessly, publicly, remorselessly, and unrepentantly. That's the only way you can deal with evil like this.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 26, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Someone told him.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1143709133234954241?s=19

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I can't find a good breakdown of the provisions the bill even has. It's facing a White House veto and the progressives fought it, too. It also had 3 republicans sign on, apparently. But I don't know what it is.

Malachi Constant posted:

Yeah, I guess maybe its how to explain this quickly or something (if my reasoning makes sense)? It's just the quick "Oh you wanna help the kids but not pay for their beds? Liberal loony!" thing.

It would depend on who you were talking to, I guess. But if you want to explain it as succinctly as possible, it's "republicans are fascist and will lie and trample everyone to gain and maintain as much power as possible."

e: PJ's advice is really good, here.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
until i can find the stupid thing i'm withholding most judgement - the four most prominent Justice Dems voted against it, three republicans voted for it, i don't hate most of the things i see mentioned in article summaries, but

just give me the bill to read dammit

edit:

https://twitter.com/RepRashida/status/1142479573151571968

https://twitter.com/AyannaPressley/status/1142571988931792896

https://twitter.com/Ilhan/status/1143690584139456512

(clearly aoc reads the thread: https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1143386604356231169 )

i don't see any tweets from aoc about the spending bill, clearly her vote was kneejerk and uninformed because she did not post on birdsite about it

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 26, 2019

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Razor Jacksuit posted:

This is seriously an important thing - for anyone who can - to do. We even have a thread for it in Ask/Tell: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785900&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
Of course fostering is a huge responsibility and a lot of work, and emotionally draining, and etc., but the system absolutely needs more loving homes.

Having said all that, I don't know how foster placement works for refugee children or whether there is any crossover with "standard" public and private foster care agencies.
This seems like it might be a good place to start:
https://www.acf.hhs.gov/orr/programs/urm/about

Thank you for the resources. I'm trying to read as much as I can to get a handle on the process and all that comes with it. Raising a kid that isn't mine scares the poo poo out of me, but it feels like the only thing I can do personally to make some sort of positive contribution instead of just bitching on a dead gay comedy forum.

It's something my wife and I always wanted to do when our kids were older, With everything going on we are seeing how we can make it possible in our current situation.

I'll post more info as I get more through it if people are interested.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

:siren: I have an important announcement to make :siren:

Robert Evans of Behind The Bastards watched and enjoyed our insane feral-pig-killing goon

"and it was just this lunatic out in the middle of nowhere, [hunting hogs with drones]"

(BTB is a Very Good Podcast and everyone who can handle it should listen to it)

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 26, 2019

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Relin posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Utopia-Realists-Build-Ideal-World/dp/0316471917

quote:

Universal basic income. A 15-hour workweek. Open borders. Does it sound too good to be true? One of Europe's leading young thinkers shows how we can build an ideal world today.

"A more politically radical Malcolm Gladwell." --New York Times

quote:

Every progressive milestone of civilization-from the end of slavery to the beginning of democracy-was once considered a utopian fantasy. Bregman's book, both challenging and bracing, demonstrates that new utopian ideas, like the elimination of poverty and the creation of the fifteen-hour workweek, can become a reality in our lifetime. Being unrealistic and unreasonable can in fact make the impossible inevitable, and it is the only way to build the ideal world.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Doctor Butts posted:

I don't see conservatives coming around to climate change. At all.

"How's that climate change working out for ya?" I say as my refrigerator dispenses some ice into my cup.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Prester Jane posted:

It sucks real bad that all those children are under the power of such monsters, and it sucks even worse that once the monsters know we care enough about the kids to fight them- that they'll use that caring as their first and foremost weapon against us.

Yeah. Exactly this.

"What you don't want them to sleep in beds?" I don't want the camps to exist. There should be no beds because there should be no camps. gently caress them and their fake sympathy. gently caress them for torturing these kids, and extra double gently caress them for trying to make us feel like we're the ones who are hurting the kids they are literally torturing by demanding they close the loving camps instead of just making them slightly less loving horrid.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Prester Jane posted:

Look I hear you, and I understand how you thinking about this. I emphasized completely with the internal dilemma you're facing here.

As someone who has spent their life confronting this particular form of Madness, and has fought it both directly and indirectly many times, I can tell you I found the only way that consistently works is to charge ahead and confront the bastards- and you don't give one kind of poo poo about what they say or do a response. Because their response is actually irrelevant.

The goal we pursue is to close child concentration camps. This is a just goal, and this kind of fight changes the rules. Of course they will intentionally hurt the children if they encounter resistance- abusers always increase their abuse if they are confronted about their abuse. You can't let that stop you unfortunately, because if left to their own devices the abusers will just escalate until they inevitably kill their victims anyways.

You confront evil directly, vocally, publicly, remorselessly, and unrepentantly. That's the only way you can deal with evil like this. And make no mistake, this is true evil we are facing. This is what real, human evil is. This is what it looks like, this is how it hurts people, and it doesn't stop until it's stopped by an external force.

They will try to weaponize our human empathy as their first response to true resistance. They will try to hold us all emotionally hostage and shift responsibility for their abuse on to the people speaking up against the abuse. This is how the game works, their is only one winning countermove: don't play the game. Under no circumstances participate in any form of the game. Keep attacking and exposing their Injustice is, relentlessly, publicly, remorselessly, and unrepentantly. That's the only way you can deal with evil like this.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I've been reading more about this stuff and this thread for the last couple of years and I'm a slow learner, but what you say is how I've come to feel. My life attitude mostly has been "Be nice, don't be an rear end in a top hat. Help people if you can", probably because I grew up poor, but I'm also a white straight dude who did well in school. I think I'm coming to see that with these assholes it is not an abstract debate that can go on forever, it's about stopping those who will use any tool, philosophy, lying, propaganda, torture, psychological abuse, to do what they want to do. Which is to keep their money and power and to stamp on or kill anyone who seems to be suggesting that this is unjust.

Ershalim posted:

It would depend on who you were talking to, I guess. But if you want to explain it as succinctly as possible, it's "republicans are fascist and will lie and trample everyone to gain and maintain as much power as possible."

e: PJ's advice is really good, here.

And my mom would probably think I was just a brainwashed caricature if I just came out with that. But yeah, I get it. Fortunately (unfortunately) they're simplifying it for me every day. All I have to say is "There are thousands of children in cages. They are not keeping track of who is related to who. They are not washing them or giving them beds. This has been going on for years."

edit: I really really really don't understand why these fascists are like this. I'm sure I could learn the rules of why they act like that, but I just do not understand it.

Malachi Constant fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 26, 2019

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:siren: I have an important announcement to make :siren:

Robert Evans of Behind The Bastards watched and enjoyed our insane feral-pig-killing goon

"and it was just this lunatic out in the middle of nowhere, [hunting hogs with drones]"

(BTB is a Very Good Podcast and everyone who can handle it should listen to it)

:lol: which episode?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

C2C - 2.0 posted:

:lol: which episode?

listening to the current one on The Lesser Known Alex Jones, Mike Adams (part 1)

but pig-goon got an incidental shoutout

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

listening to the current one on The Lesser Known Alex Jones, Mike Adams (part 1)

I'll check it out at the gym tomorrow. That's great!

Caros
May 14, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Okay, I missed this bit of goon lore, but I am legit curious. So... the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Malachi Constant posted:

edit: I really really really don't understand why these fascists are like this. I'm sure I could learn the rules of why they act like that, but I just do not understand it.

As it so happens, I do have a conceptual framework that quite handily explains the bizarre behavior we are witnessing on display here. I don't link it in the thread very often and I don't advertise it very much on the forums anymore, but I'll risk dropping a link to my blog.

That'll provide a pretty thorough and well-thought-out / internally consistent description of the bizarre behaviors we see on display in the right-wing these days. (What I call the "Narratividt Framework") Pleasd approach it with an open mind and be prepared to kind of discard all your underlying assumptions about human behavior, those assumptions do not apply to these extremists, and you will never understand these extremists if you try to understand them from a position of reason or logic.