Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Lightning Knight posted:

This is a lot of :effort: and I have a full time job while Ard is in the wrong time zone. So if PPJ, who has the most free time of the three of us, wants to try and keep up with this, then he can, but I don't think I can be bothered.

To clarify, I tend to change thread titles from my phone, which is relatively easy, but editing the OP on the phone is a pain.

Could we then instead get a post in the thread by the person who made the change and what the new title is, considering how much easier it is to make a new post on mobile instead of editing an old (and massive) one? I also have an interest in keeping track of the thread's titles and I'd vastly appreciate a little more structure and visibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Terror Sweat posted:

The man kills more people with drones than Obama, kidnaps children, embezzles your taxes straight to his properties, golfs 5 days of the week and is a senile old rapist.

Why was Russia on the tv 16 hours a day

Because Republicans don't give a poo poo about any of that and most Trump-opposed media was hoping that Boomers would at least have held on to the Cold War's anti-Russian sentiment.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Eli's style has the unique property of causing me something very similar to physical pain every time I see his art.

It's something that I have an immense amount of respect for, given the subject matter that he uses his powers on.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Lurdiak posted:

Can someone explain to me why all the dumbass centrists keep talking about Bernie's tax returns.

Are they just unable to criticize Bernie without using the arguments they use against Trump?

Because a lot of really dumb people think that liberal folks like Bernie because he's "one of them" (aka poor) and that revealing him to be reasonably well-off will destroy his popularity.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

VH4Ever posted:

REALLY. REALLY now. Uh.....proof, please?

He greets reporters with "No collusion, no collusion". I'd say it's hosed up his brain-meats pretty good.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

VH4Ever posted:

He didn't exactly start out with the best brain, you know.

Oh, sure - the brainworms have been there for a while, no doubt about it. But thinking more about it, I'm pretty sure "excessive paranoia that fueled the White House Turnover Rate" has not been so great for optics. How many AGs and DOJ folks has he gone through because he's terrified of the investigation?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mummy Xzibit posted:

ITT we post what we're going to be doing rather than :f5:-ing all day.

I'm working on the Crackdown mod for Payday 2 and I'm currently overhauling Perk Decks. I just renamed every card in Tag Team to be references to the Gamers Rise Up meme because I hate myself and everyone around me.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

luxury handset posted:

it would gently caress over much of the united states but texas more than most

as to whether it would turn texas blue, that depends on the average american voter's ability to process cause and effect, so no

most things turn blue when you choke them to death

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Prester Jane posted:

Lesser-evilism is a slippery slope that always ends in fascism- because it makes true resistance to fascism impossible.

It's true that lesser-evilism really sucks. It should, by its very nature - it comes into play when there aren't any good options.

When I was young and in school, I was very much a perfectionist and I always got solid 100s on the things that I turned in. The problem was that I was also easily distracted and forgetful, so I often failed to turn things in, and so I had about 30% of any given class's assignments as a 0. After my family figured out what was wrong, my dad sat me down and explained to me that anything is better than a zero. It doesn't matter if it's two days late and I got a 50 and therefore an F - anything is better than a zero.

And so the same applies to politics: anything is better than the worst option, even if it too is a bad option.

I agree with you that we should always be fighting for perfect options and ideals, but sometimes we can't. Sometimes we have to pick between breaking a finger and breaking an arm, and holding out for nothing getting broken can wind up breaking everything.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Koalas March posted:

Call me petty or bitter and poo poo but I wish we could have had longer discussions about the white nationalist burning black churches than the one in a different country only people privileged enough to travel could see.

Like yeah it sucks and it's a great loss but drat. One was an actual terrorist attack and one was a giant gently caress up. Maybe it is because I know I can never leave the country but I love art and it sucks but I feel so loving disconnected from that and the fact one thing gets a couple tweets and "gently caress that guy" mentioned and ones is pages and pages of people gawking and weeping for humanity makes me feel like I'm in the twilight zone

Please understand that I ask this with the absolute best of intention and that I'm not trying to be a piece of poo poo in any way:

What more do you want us to say about Holden Matthews?

Pretty much everyone has already gone over how he's a garbage person, that it's awful that it happened, it's surprising that his dad turned him over being a cop. It's a story that came out after everything had already happened and pretty much the only updates that we've gotten so far are his sentencing and the charges possibly being upgraded to a hate crime (all of which are good news, but there's not much more to say about them other than "good, I hope he stews", which doesn't make for great thread content).

Notre Dame's fire, by comparison, is a disaster impacting what is arguably one of the most recognizable landmarks in the entire world and it's happening right now, in real time, as a developing story. There's still things to talk about and speculate on and hope for.

I get your frustration from the perspective of people glossing over domestic terrorism on a regular basis (especially if the terrorist in question is white), but I don't understand what more you want from the thread regarding that subject.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Koalas March posted:

- The impact in the community there
- The rise in hate crimes
- How to fight white nationalist indoctrination
- How to spot white nationalist indoctrination
- How to be a good allly to those affected communities

I think your bias is showing because you even asked "What more is there to talk about (the terrorist)?" Instead of focusing on the impacted people, you focused on the white arsonist...
I didn't focus on the arsonist because he was white, I focused on the arsonist because he's the one who did the bad thing and is therefore the core of the story. Please do not try to do that to me.

That said:

- We probably could have talked more about the impact it had on the community, you're absolutely right. However, I can also understand why that didn't happen - it feels pretty Thoughts And Prayers-y on the whole, especially when expressing disgust over what a terrorist did usually implies some level of concern and/or compassion for the afflicted community. I feel like it's hardly fair for you to chastise the thread for that, especially given that you are also a thread participant and nothing stopped you from bringing up that subject yourself.
- The rise in hate crimes is absolutely a discussion worth having, as evidenced by how it's definitely been a part of the thread's consciousness since everything going on with Smollett and even moreso with the recent poo poo flinging at Rep. Omar. Do you feel that the thread should be discussing more of the hate crimes that have happened or go into greater detail about the ones raised?
- Spotting and fighting white nationalist indoctrination is also a great discussion worth having, but I've got a feeling that the majority of the thread is pretty left-leaning and most posters here already know a pretty solid amount on that subject. If you feel that we don't, again: you are also a participant in this thread and there's nothing stopping you from drumming up a discussion about whatever you feel is relevant.
- The vast majority of the people who post here are not members of that community and/or are nowhere near that community, so I'm not sure what you expect us to do here short of posting the gofundme again (which I am more than happy to do as it is in desperate need of funds).

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Koalas March posted:

Like no, the core of the story should be about the impact it had on the community, that's kinda my point.
Oh, okay. See, the source of the confusion stems from you not actually saying that in the first place:

Koalas March posted:

Call me petty or bitter and poo poo but I wish we could have had longer discussions about the white nationalist burning black churches than the one in a different country only people privileged enough to travel could see.
This pretty clearly communicates that you wanted the thread to talk about "the white nationalist burning black churches", not "the impact a white nationalist burning black churches had on the black communities that those churches were in".

quote:

That's literally what I'm doing???
In a really weird and kind of awful way, yeah? Like don't get me wrong, I definitely understand wanting people to talk more about the issues that you care about. However, putting it as "I'm bitter that y'all are talking about Thing A instead of Thing B" is not a great way to accomplish that, especially when both things are important in their own ways.

Kith fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 16, 2019

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

KickerOfMice posted:

Sometimes, excruciatingly rarely, the internet does not make you stupid.

Dig in, fuckers.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/church-fires-st-landry-parishmacedonia-ministry

Already helped out, definitely looking forward to seeing it funded. $1,582,102 of $1.8M as of reading, which loving owns.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

On a completely different note, the Seventh District Baptist Church gofundme has achieved and surpassed its funding goal!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Superman is a violent Republican alien with a savior complex, and better than half of the poo poo he stops from destroying the Earth is his own goddamn fault.

Batman is just what happens when you have a billion dollars and PTSD at the same time

Edit for the rest of the team:

Wonder Woman is a magic Luddite with a FetLife account. Flash is a dumb cop. Cyborg is Zuck.

Who an I forgetting?

Aquaman, king of the entire goddamn ocean.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Whoever bought this, you hosed up. Redtext is supposed to insult and and embarrass the target whenever they post, not make them look metal as hell. :rock:

the fact that you don't feel embarrassed over wording that sounds like it's straight out of a justification for an ethnic cleansing says an awful lot about you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Telsa Cola posted:

For the record the burning cow poo poo thing is like not even low key racism and yall need to knock it the gently caress off.

Would you mind explaining how? I'm from the south and people talked about using cow chips to build bonfires and poo poo all the time, I never knew it had any kind of racist undertones.