Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Admiral Joeslop posted:

http://www.ff6wc.com/

Someone made/is working on an open world randomizer for FF6! Looks like it's a similar vein to Career Day and Free Enterprise.

Interesting! I should probably give that a try sometime. Hopefully I don't get distracted and wind up dropping it, though...

I especially like the ability to switch between the WoB and WoR. I don't really like points of no return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

CptWedgie posted:

Interesting! I should probably give that a try sometime. Hopefully I don't get distracted and wind up dropping it, though...

I especially like the ability to switch between the WoB and WoR. I don't really like points of no return.

I had a lot of fun with it this weekend. Looking forward to updates and learning the routing and such. Might even get me into Free Enterprise and Career Day!

Also I'll probably do an update for this game soon, I GUESS.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Free Enterprise is really a lot of fun, I’m glad there’s a FE-type randomizer for FF6 now.

I like randomizers, though after reading this LP I imagine I’d probably be bashing my head against quite a few random encounters.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

http://www.ff6wc.com/

Someone made/is working on an open world randomizer for FF6! Looks like it's a similar vein to Career Day and Free Enterprise.

Got me a seed that started me off with Celes. Looting the chests in Narshe gave me Diamond Armor, Illumina, and a Paladin Shield. :black101:

I picked Sabin over a Gem Box, and went to Figaro Castle, where the chest above the trone room gave me Atma Weapon. :getin:

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 28, 2020

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I made a thread for it because i love making slow moving threads.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912619

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fanatics Tower is the worst dungeon in Beyond Chaos. I kept putting it off and putting it off until finally today I sat down and dove in. And you know? It was as bad as I expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OjB0abkWnE
Final Fantasy X - Seymour's Ambition

These cultists are so stupid they didn't even close the gap left when we snagged our party member. And those staircases? That's literally the entire dungeon, just going up, up and up.

There's also a naming convention going on here, everything goes from L.10 to L.90. There's a general progression to the higher numbers as you climb up, and these little ones are fairly weak.

Here's my general strategy: Quake the hell out of everything. It's not perfect, as Scar doesn't have any Earth nullifying gear so needs to wear a Cherub Down (because no one in this party knows Float) and elemental damage is a problem if I find something that absorbs it. Naru has the Economizer for 1 MP Quakes, and Rein can Mimic it for free. MP healing items are expensive and I don't have a lot.

Some are more dangerous than others.

At least, for the people that don't absorb the elements.

Can I gush about the sprite work some more? Because these are great sprites, even the little green gimp.

And then there's this thing. I don't know why they show up here but they'll also be somewhere in the final dungeon. A couple Quakes take care of it.

Starting to get a little more painful now. L.40 Floats so I have to reflect some Flares instead.

Oh no!

No biggie. I don't THINK encountering a dragon in a chest counts towards killing all eight, so we'll revisit this one in the Final Dungeon.

Getting harder but still nothing that goes through my Wall Rings.

I like these, when they're alone, even with the Earth absorption.

code:
SKILLS: Bolt 3, Cave In, Cure 3, Flare, Imp, Life 3, Pearl, Poison, Quick, Rflect
They generally stick to Cure 3, Life 3 and Reflect. They're also vulnerable to Doom so I just used that and Mimicked it until it worked.

No free heals for me, with these Wall Rings. They're smart enough to target my party instead of themselves.

Normally the White Dragon is here, who is a total pushover. You know how is also a pushover? THIS GUY.

code:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gold Drgn (Level 62)
/-----------------------------------\
| HP: 46690 | ATK:   14 | SPD:  120 |
| MP:  6317 | DEF:  141 | HIT:  147 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  19 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 188 | MBLK:   0 |
\-----------------------------------/
NULLIFY: bolt;  WEAK: water
VULNERABLE: berserk, blind, regen, shell, vanish
OTHER: can't escape, dies at MP zero
SPECIAL "Octo Iron": attack x4
SKILLS: Bolt, Bolt 2, Bolt 3, Giga Volt, Ice, Rflect, Slow 2
STEAL: Nutkin Suit, Czarina Gown
DROPS:
Honestly, this fight is very boring. None of its spells can hit me and its attack stat is too low to worry about.

Quake hurts it bad.

Absorbs lightning but has paltry power behind it, so very little healing.

The worst thing it does is put up Reflect so I have to bounce Flares off when I use them.

Five dragons down, three to go!

And here we have it, the bane of Fanatics Tower and perma death runs everywhere. Most people just skip this place entirely, since Moogle Charms don't really work in this location.

code:
L.90 Magic (Level 90)
| HP: 13536 | ATK:   13 | SPD:   60 |
| MP: 13014 | DEF:  227 | HIT:  153 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  18 | EVD:  198 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 145 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: wind, pearl, earth, water
IMMUNE: condemned, death, imp, mute, near death, petrify, sleep
AUTO: reflect
OTHER: can't escape, dies at MP zero, humanoid
SPECIAL "Sharp Rush": damage + confuse (unblockable)
SKILLS: Cave In, Flare, Life 3, Merton, Meteor, Stop
STEAL: Stout Spear, Ether
DROPS: Forged
Immune to Death, Mute, Sleep.

Quake does nothing.

For reasons I don't know, it only casts Life 3 on my party instead of itself. This is good because:

The only way to survive Meteor is to have high HP. It ignores defense and has real good power behind it.

All the L.XX monsters have "Can't Escape" flags.

This, in fact, isn't even the worst thing!

Everyone but Scar absorbs Fire/Wind though unfortunately so does the monster.

Finally we reach the top, and find the vanilla treasure waiting for us. I won't complain TOO much, as double casting magic can be good.

No, please, I just want to leave, you can have the stupid relic!

MagiMaster is renamed L.255Magic, I guess to fit in with the theme of the tower. He's usually not too bad, if you have a way to dodge Ultima. Watch the fight HERE.

code:
L.255Magic (Level 99)
| HP: 65535 | ATK:    1 | SPD:  160 |
| MP: 65534 | DEF:  252 | HIT:  118 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  45 | EVD:  155 |
| GP: 37753 | MDEF: 157 | MBLK:   0 |
VULNERABLE: poison, shell
AUTO: floating, shell
OTHER: can't escape, dies at MP zero, humanoid
SPECIAL "Shock Psy": imp (unblockable)
SKILLS: Bio, Bolt 2, Bolt 3, Fire 3, Fire Beam, Flare, Ice 3, Mute, Ultima, WallChange
STEAL: BehemothSuit, Red Cap
DROPS: Atma Weapon, Graedus

Wall Rings are still a must; his Flare is hitting for half damage after being Reflected.

He's also got auto Float on. Not that it would matter too much, as he uses WallChange whenever an elemental attack hits.

"Fire Beam? That thing you have at the beginning of the game? Pfft, that's weak."

Not so fast, friend.

code:
Changes the elemental strengths and weaknesses to one target. It gives the user one element to absorb, one to be weak to, and nullifies the rest. It is unblockable.
Basically elemental damage roulette. You can't rely on elements unless you want to Scan every round.

Sometimes you get lucky! The poison damage increases every turn, maxing out at 8x damage after eight turns. This means if L.255 happens to be weak to Poison when it ticks, he takes decent damage.

One more Flare and it's toast, doesn't even get a regular boss animation.

Probably because of this!

You WILL die to this, even at level 99 I'm sure. You need to drain its MP to below 80, have Life 3, or be in the air with Palidor when it dies. Palidor is doable but you have to make extra sure it'll die after 1-3 characters land, since you can only use Palidor once a battle as an Esper.

Merton strats! Get a party of Paladin Shield users and heal yourself. Except only Ukyo can equip this Esper. "LV - 1" as a level up bonus means you'll actually go DOWN a level instead of up. You'll also lose a handful of random stats (I believe) but this would allow you to re-level again, with more Esper bonuses. Entirely too much work but it's an option. I believe this was in the vanilla game but dummied out.

WE'RE NOT DONE YET!

I'm back for blood!

code:
Red Dragon (Level 67)
| HP: 57484 | ATK:   14 | SPD:  123 |
| MP:  2488 | DEF:  154 | HIT:  191 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  17 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 202 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: fire, earth, water;  WEAK: pearl
VULNERABLE: confuse, image, poison, protect, reflect, shell, slow, vanish
AUTO: imp
OTHER: can't escape
SPECIAL "Bloop": reflect break? (unblockable)
SKILLS: Bolt 3, Fire 2, Fire 3, Fire Ball, Flare, Flare Star, L.4 Flare, S. Cross, Whump
LORE: L.4 Flare
STEAL: Strato
DROPS: Heal Rod, Wing Edge

And didn't plan very well! I forgot which dragon was here and didn't feel like starting the fight over, it's fine.

God drat that hurts, real glad it doesn't use it very often.

About here is where I realize I don't have any Life magic.

Fenix Downs and near useless X-fights it is!

My initial plan is to make it weak against elements I have, the strongest of which is Quake or Ice 3.

I can see this is going to be a problem.

Rein has no trouble at all, though.

At this point I say "gently caress it" and don't bother reviving those two. Rein and Ukyo got this!

Flare Star? Nah.

A chainsaw to the face? Yeah, that's the ticket.

Two dragons to go, both of which are in Kefka's Tower!

WE'RE STILL NOT DONE YET!

For those of you not in the know, this is Gau's (Red XIII/Sakura, to the left) father. He tossed Gau onto the Veldt when he was born because he's lost his mind.

This makes Sakura sad, and Videl wants to help.

First, dining and etiquette lessons. Ukyo just down there taking a nap while Rein and Sahara are conspicuously absent. Probably because they're technically "optional" characters.

Sakura's terrible secrets are revealed when they're taken to get some nice clothes.

Sakura's really a boy! Are they wearing a red dog thing costume, or was it magic all along? Who knows!

Surely this blathering old man will appreciate the son he doesn't know he has now that said son is wearing a suit.

He doesn't give two shits.

Videl threatens to evacuate the old man's bowels by force but Sakura stops him.

Sakura knows this man will never be a true father to him. It's kinda depressing and doesn't give a lot of closure.

------------------------------------------------------------

ALL TREASURES
Relic Ring
24,500 GP
24,600 GP
Magus Rod
Gem Box
Pearl Lance
Blizzard Orb

Magus Rod trades for an Aegis Shield, and ValiantKnife for an Offering. However, with Ragnarok, I can in theory go about getting the items I'm missing, like some Ribbons. Might not though, it's a lot of work. We'll see!

Next update will be part of the Final Dungeon. I haven't decided how I'm going to do it yet; either two or three updates. Two for the dungeon and bosses, and a final update for the last fight, probably. That'll give me a nice even 30 updates, as well. I'll try not to make anyone wait for weeks and weeks for that final update though.

Please VOTE for which TWO characters we will be LEAVING BEHIND.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Which ones would be best for it? The final dungeon encounters I got were mean as hell

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

Which ones would be best for it? The final dungeon encounters I got were mean as hell

Honestly, Sakura is probably the worst one of the bunch. Everyone else has SOMETHING going for them, even if it's just Kaoru having access to Ultima to give it to Rein.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Leave out Sakura and... *rolls dice* Videl, I guess.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I, too, vote you leave Sakura behind. Uh, also drop, uh... Naru. Yeah, sure, Naru.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Ditch Sakura, yeah; I feel merciful (relatively). As for the other one... player's choice.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

CptWedgie posted:

Ditch Sakura, yeah; I feel merciful (relatively). As for the other one... player's choice.

Going with this. You've earned leaving Sakura and Player's Choice behind.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Echoing the votes for Sakura and player's choice.

Thanks for this LP btw, I love randomizer hacks for classic games and this is the first time I've seen one for FF6.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

liquidypoo posted:

I, too, vote you leave Sakura behind. Uh, also drop, uh... Naru. Yeah, sure, Naru.

I vote for this too

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Limiting espers in Brave New World was one thing, limiting randomizing espers is just cruel. So many people could enjoy that -1 level bonus (HP still goes up even on level down).

The only thing I can say is I hope Kefka's stats are randomized, because if its like ours it'll suck to deal with a hasted 255 speed jackass.

Players choice for who gets benched.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I chose to limit Espers cuz I'm not a coward :colbert:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Braver man than me.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
I vote Ukyo and Naru to be left behind

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This final fight is a real pain, y'know?

I should have at least the first part of the dungeon up sometime this week.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It really is. A lot of it is just a beef gate too. "ye must have at least X amount of HP to survive"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This final fight is a real pain, y'know?

I was hoping that they actually randomized stats, but I'm guessing that they decided "Kefka just will always have max speed, reraise and autohaste" like what liquidy and I dealt with.

The fact that you've been silent so long made me realize "no, no its going to be that or worse"

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

FeyerbrandX posted:

I was hoping that they actually randomized stats, but I'm guessing that they decided "Kefka just will always have max speed, reraise and autohaste" like what liquidy and I dealt with.

The fact that you've been silent so long made me realize "no, no its going to be that or worse"

I HAVE seen some vaguely reasonable Kefkas in other seed's text files.

Not this one.

That's not even getting into the randomness of the other tiers and who I start with.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I sprained my ankle real bad at work and my computer is in the basement! I'm still hoping to get an update out this weekend but we'll see if I'm able.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kefka's time on this world will be no more.

Naru is sad that they won't be joining us, and Serena is sad for reasons they can't understand.

I divide our forces thusly:

Zepeli
Kaoru
Fuuko
Sahara

Scar
Serena
Homura
Videl

Rein
Wei
Popuko
Ukyo

It spreads power out fairly well and concentrates most of the useful magic onto Rein, from those that can't even use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ2GAhT4INE
Final Fantasy VII - Judgment Day

The initial areas of this dungeon aren't changed much. Most of the enemies have five digit HP, like Hegi here with 12,110. Various weaknesses and resistance, attacks, the usual. Nothing I can't handle!

Some of them we've seen before, in Cyan's Dream or the Ancient Castle.

And this is the reason the Beginner's House is full of random garbage. The final dungeon is randomized! Some doors lead to new areas, some bring you back to the first door in this area, others don't work at all. It's just a matter of choosing a direction and remembering. Or writing things down if you're smart. The spotlights stay on, too!

This is also why I didn't collect any of the treasure in the outside portions of South Figaro, as they could have potentially shown up in this dungeon and been even higher rated loot.

Nepher has 38,185 HP and a bunch of immunities, including Death. It's fine though, as their stats are middling and it just takes a little bit of effort to power through.

And what a prize for winning! Fixed Dice are utterly broken in that they can roll insane damage if you're lucky. This link to the Wiki has further explanations, which may or may not be mostly correct. Putting these on Fuuko, with the Offering, means Fuuko will routinely do thousands of damage per turn. While it sucks that only Fuuko can use them, I do have Merit Awards that will let anyone equip them at the cost of a Relic slot.

Resoms begin the fight with Auto Imp. Poor things.

The broken Magitek tubes are actually in vanilla, since Kefka's Tower is some mish mash amalgam of junk from around the world that he pieced together. Fanatics Tower is definitely NOT supposed to be part of it.

Both of these monsters have less than 4k HP, they're basically nothing.

The game wasn't really designed with a randomized final dungeon in mind, for reasons I can't even begin to fathom.

It doesn't know what to do with characters that start in a spot like this so they just get put on top.

I've fought these Diass Sup somewhere before and with four of them, they're just obnoxious enough that I hate them. The Raftov are the only other formation on this map and they're almost as annoying, with LifeShaver and Atomic Ray.

Hark! A dragon!

Aww lookit the little fella! I bet it melts real good.

code:
Ice Dragon (Level 74)
| HP: 48994 | ATK:   19 | SPD:  119 |
| MP: 17698 | DEF:  143 | HIT:  175 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  18 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 201 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: ice;  WEAK: fire
VULNERABLE: berserk, confuse, float, mute, poison, protect, reflect, regen, shell, vanish
AUTO: near death
SPECIAL "Dust Drive": attack x2
SKILLS: Absolute 0, Love Token, N. Cross, Surge
STEAL: Merit Award
DROPS: Economizer, Economizer
Ice Dragon didn't really get randomized very much, except for the addition of Love Token.

Frozen is a really annoying status effect unless you have a handy source of low power fire.

Doesn't nullify wind, so Serena puts in their best effort and does.. one Aero with ?-Aero. Good work.

Videl is my best source of free healing, with Pearl Wind and Wild Bear being the most common dances in Wood Rag.

1300~ damage is OK, Scar can do better than that.

Ice Dragon can do better than Scar, too! Stupid robot is a real glass cannon.

Much better.

If this fight had actually been any trouble, I could've re-tooled to absorb Ice.

Instead, it dies and mocks me with a really good relic that I can't use.

The Opera House would've been much improved with a light show. You can also see at the top there, the map used for the rat sequence when you're trying to stop Ultros. I didn't know it was on the same map as this until now.

This is uh..the cave before the Ancient Castle, I believe.

Still nothing majorly bad yet!

Gosh, another dragon already? Let's get to it!

Wei to go!

Did somebody say "Merton Strats"?

Oh. I guess no one did.

Slots though, everyone loves slots!

Now if you're thinking "why didn't you just have Ukyo attack instead of wasting so many turns trying to get a fire/wind weakness?" then you'd be correct. I'm a bit single minded when I have a plan.

For now, Rein just lays it on with Flare, refilling their MP with Osmose when needed.

See? Merton Strats!

Finally, our last Esper has arrived.

That's..actually pretty good! Zepeli has decent magic power and can make good use of Quick.

:supaburn:

Occinch also appears on the Floating Continent, with the expected power level. However there is a formation that is in, I think, the Magitek Factory, with those hanging dudes at the top. Or it might be the one in the Narshe caves when you fail the security trap. Either way, it tends to mess up some of the sprites on screen like that poor Occinch. The Dega Vel were in Owzer's Mansion too; they still just target each other with Exploder and die immediately.

Almost 22k HP, Doom, Bolt 3, and a Death special attack. Nasty but their stats don't really back it up.

I kinda wish there was some kind of closure with the Returners; the last time you see them is at Vector, shocked by the Esper attack.

The first batch are also found in the Floating Continent, Collapsing House, and Rhine is just here. They all have less than 1400 HP.

Krocuteet is in a similar situation but the other two monsters are loving terrible. Voyag Lif has 47k HP but luckily is vulnerable to Death and Gravity. Dwele Hei is immune to all useful statuses and has 65,535 HP. It takes FOREVER to kill them; I hated it in Cyan's Dream and hate it slightly more here. Luckily, I only encountered one pack.

For those in the know, this is a glitch spot. You can use a party switching exploit to move past that conveyor belt. It's constantly moving downward and normally can't be stopped until you beat a certain boss. This exploit is used by speed runners to skip one of the bosses. In Beyond Chaos, that door leads somewhere different.

BC sends you to a random room, with one piece of treasure in it. These have all been designed by BC community members, mostly people that have completed the game on Permadeath. They range from insanely good to jokes. Are we going to get something to counteract all the extremely bad things I've gotten this run?

No, no we are not going to get anything useful. This seed is extremely cursed.

I mean, it's OK. Death/zombie/petrify protection is pretty good, and Condemned will just miss once it counts down.

Hey I can't remember if we've actually fought Presenter! Well, "fight" is a bit of an overstatement at this point.

Pompla McN is a weird name.

The toilets don't work and there is a big piece of poo poo on the floor of one of them. Typical.

In a previous life, I couldn't beat Atma with the party I had. Lucky for us, we have a different seed for the actual update. You can watch the fight here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl7SuNK-aZ0
Chrono Trigger - World Revolution

Atma is a really cool sprite. It sometimes glows and the gears inside the back will spin.

code:
Atma (Level 83)
| HP: 65535 | ATK:   76 | SPD:  191 |
| MP: 65534 | DEF:  162 | HIT:  255 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  36 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 135 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: fire, ice, bolt, bio, wind, pearl, earth, water
VULNERABLE: mute, near death, seizure, shell
AUTO: interceptor, near death, regen, shell
SPECIAL "Sound Odor": death
SKILLS: CleanSweep, Fire 3, Flare, HyperDrive, Ice 3, Meteor, N. Cross, Quake, R.Polarity, S. Cross, Ultima
LORE: CleanSweep
STEAL: Soul Sabre, Guardian
DROPS: Soul Sabre, Soul Sabre

Flare would hurt a whole hell of a lot, I'm glad it missed.

Not so lucky on the Fire 3. Scar eats poo poo.

Atma absorbs Wind so Serena has to go into Rage mode, picking one with Meteor. It's alright.

Did anyone look closely at the stat block? Did you notice something really cool? I did! Mute lasts until the creature dies or something removes it, like Remedy or an Echo Screen.

HyperDrive isn't a spell!

CleanSweep, Fire 3, Flare, Ice 3, Meteor, N. Cross, Quake, S. Cross, are all spells though.

So is Ultima! Hah!

Toilet save points are just as good as regular ones.

If I actually needed any more, these monsters drop Genji Armors.

God dammit, this is one of the worst boss fights to just randomly show up in BC.

The game gets weirded out too, as the background graphics flip out. The SNES can only handle so many colors at once.

Less annoying than the first time but still unwanted.

Very cool sprite, bit of a waste on something easy.

I almost missed this fight in the video, it went so fast.

code:
Vice (Level 50)
/----------------------------------\
| HP:  348 | ATK:   46 | SPD:  108 |
| MP:   37 | DEF:  111 | HIT:  139 |
| XP:  949 | MPOW:  16 | EVD:   69 |
| GP: 1816 | MDEF: 227 | MBLK:   0 |
\----------------------------------/
NULLIFY: ice, bio
IMMUNE: imp
SPECIAL "GammaWheel": vanish
SKILLS: Fallen One, Flare Star, N. Cross, S. Cross
RAGE: Flare Star, GammaWheel
STEAL:
DROPS:
MORPH (6%): Air Lancet, Mystery Veil, Poison Claw, Water Edge
Holy poo poo, Fallen One! No thank you! That's an attack that Final Kefka uses, reducing everyone to 1 HP.

Rein is entirely oblivious to a giant blob falling from the ceiling. However, *I* noticed!

code:
Inferno (Level 67)
| HP: 53913 | ATK:   17 | SPD:   70 |
| MP: 21017 | DEF:  189 | HIT:  116 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  16 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 147 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: fire, ice, wind
VULNERABLE: petrify, regen, slow
AUTO: floating
SPECIAL "Bad Choke": attack x3
SKILLS: Bolt 2, Bolt 3, Cokatrice, Elf Fire, Giga Volt, Meteor, Rflect, Shock Wave
STEAL: Sky Render
DROPS:
Striker (Level 67)
| HP: 18790 | ATK:   20 | SPD:   48 |
| MP:  4137 | DEF:  116 | HIT:  177 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  12 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 214 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: ice;  WEAK: fire
IMMUNE: berserk, blind, confuse, image, imp, magitek, mute, poison, seizure, sleep, vanish, zombie
SPECIAL "Zombite": petrify
SKILLS: Shrapnel
STEAL: Excalibur
DROPS: Ice Shld
MORPH (3%): Falchion, Gold Armor, Pearl Rod, Tent
Rough (Level 69)
| HP: 15793 | ATK:   23 | SPD:   51 |
| MP:  1580 | DEF:  102 | HIT:  166 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 222 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: bolt, pearl;  WEAK: fire
IMMUNE: berserk, blind, confuse, image, imp, magitek, mute, poison, seizure, sleep, vanish, zombie
SPECIAL "BrineDread": damage + petrify
STEAL: TortoiseShld
DROPS:
MORPH (75%): Beads, Crystal Helm, Gale Hairpin, Titanium

Same general idea as the boss fight in the mine cart ride portion of the Magitek Facility. Kill the arms, and the main body is probably going to do something nasty like Meteor.

Shrapnel can be dangerous if I don't pay attention to my health.

Most of the regular attacks, not so much.

Merton Strats, my fav- DAMMIT.

Neither of us are getting what we want. Cokatrice will inflict Petrify.

I fear no elements.

I don't know why but that claw gets the boss death animation instead of the main body. Inferno never used Meteor, and I didn't notice that I could just Petrify it. I could've fished for Petrify from Mind Blast if I was really desperate.

That's half the bosses of the dungeon down already, not counting the final fight!

ALL TREASURES
Imp Halberd
Cat Hood
Scimitar
Force Armor
Tao Robe
Excalibur
Ribbon
Marvel Shoes
Magus Rod
Coin Toss

An extra pair of Marvel Shoes is nice, a Ribbon is really good. Could've used a Cat Hood when I was grinding for GP but now I don't really need it. I have GP Rain on Wei but most things have too much defense to make it useful.

Next time, we'll finish up the dungeon and the rest of the bosses, and the final update will be the last battle and ending. My body is ready!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm really interested to see how you can take the final boss with those HP totals, because I'm decently sure he's programmed with attacks you just need to tank through.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

congrats on making the best out of this situation. I can't believe the bonus area only available by swap glitching up the conveyor is able to be random trash though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Here's a little taste of tier 1:

code:
SPECIAL "Dirk Bomb": damage + dance (unblockable)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

that sounds like it could be any level of inconvenience. Damage plus healing, damage plus instant death which I'm sure that's a death counter or something so it's just an extra chufty gently caress you like calmness.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Getting ID protection isn't a big issue. Fighting while your guys to lose 3/4 of their health due to unblockable damage is.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I am curious what items can pop up and what their descriptions are in that room, for some reason.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

I am curious what items can pop up and what their descriptions are in that room, for some reason.

There is a text file included but all the items are listed like this:

I don't know how to find those codes either, I'll see what I can dig up.

Edit: Found a source, thanks to Cecil. Need to go through and edit it though, it doesn't show up very well here.

Edit edit:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eYi9VwaAUHI26hMjeQkQNp0FSQwn5dWiTbJlVxwZmoQ/edit?usp=sharing

There we go.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 9, 2020

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ending spoilers, kinda!

Zepeli is full of surprises.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Welcome one and all, to the penultimate update!

Last time, if you recall, we killed a palette swap boss in a factory section.

Oh no! A monster in a box!

Oh no, the little brother of Atma, that thing we killed. Whatever horrors will it inflict upon us?

code:
AtmaWeapon (Level 37)
| HP: 36416 | ATK:   65 | SPD:   94 |
| MP:  5728 | DEF:  158 | HIT:  137 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:   6 | EVD:   30 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 110 | MBLK:  12 |
NULLIFY: ice, water
IMMUNE: berserk, condemned, confuse, death, imp, mute, near death, petrify, poison, sleep, stop, zombie
AUTO: float
SPECIAL "Silencing": damage + imp
SKILLS: Blaze, Fire 2, Flare, Flare Star, Mind Blast, Quake, Quartr, Rasp
STEAL: Blizzard Orb, Memento Ring
DROPS: Tao Robe, Relic Ring
Reasonably terrifying, especially that HP total, if we were fighting it on the Floating Continent.

We are not on the Floating Continent.

Cool sprite, useless stats. I could steal a Kung Fu Suit or a Tonic!

Night time in Thamasa, until a battle occurs. Gotta watch out for these Kubrs, they have a strong special attack.

code:
SPECIAL "Gun Butt": mute

We've fought the Vaune at some point in a treasure chest but Teh Fea is new. They have 35,300 HP which goes quickly enough but is still obnoxious to chew through. Low Loyo has an Attack x5 with an attack stat of 41 so they're not dangerous but kinda hurt.

This stupid room was a dead end. Toffles are terrible to fight but Oat Tro basically melts AND uses Sneeze so who cares?

Success! Switch one of three flipped.

Just tiny rooms from everywhere, all over the place.

Oh no!

Oh, actual, loving, no!

You piece of poo poo dragon!

Not even Love Token can save me!

I didn't heal myself up when I opened it the first time. Second time was the charm.

Each of these little bastards has 45,344 HP. I run when I can.

Doom will be the death of us all.

code:
Doom (Level 93)
| HP: 65535 | ATK:  225 | SPD:  101 |
| MP: 17841 | DEF:  212 | HIT:  186 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  33 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 221 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: fire, ice, bio, wind
VULNERABLE: blind, float, haste, image, protect, reflect, regen, shell, slow, vanish
AUTO: reraise
SPECIAL "Fury Jet": damage + petrify (unblockable)
SKILLS: Antlion, Flare, Merton, N. Cross, Overcast, Targetting
STEAL: Safety Bit
DROPS: Ice Shld, Ice Shld
You'll note that this thing was also in the Fanatics Tower. Luckily, I didn't encounter it.

Wall Rings are very important for some fights. A fact I learned after my first attempt.

That ain't gonna cut it, Zepeli.

Fuuko, however, is rolling the dice of pain.

Nnnnnargh!

Peep those damage rolls. Not everyone had fire or wind protection.

We've seen this attack before and it sucks. The person hit with it gets a countdown, like Condemned but shorter, and when they die from ANYTHING they get turned into a zombie. I don't think there's a way to prevent this; there is also a bug involving zombie protection that means you can't heal them afterwards so you gotta be careful.

Targetting is basically a free turn that I'm very grateful for.

Things get pretty dire at points, it's a long fight.

Funnily enough, Phoenix revives people but their sprites don't pop back up until all the casting is done. Which means their dead corpse can still block attacks like Acid Rain.

I summoned Crusader just to see what it would do. It's worse than Quake, good job Zepeli.

This is not an easy fight. I probably should've started over with some gear changes but I'm stubborn.

At one point, zombie Kaoru jumped onto my only living character and I thought that was it but they only did 29 damage and didn't proc Ultima. Hooray!

Sometimes, life just isn't fair.

God what a slog. I hope that's the worst we face!

Someone should do a remake of Home Alone but call the kid Kelvie. That would be more interesting than the monster.

The heal bucket does not, in fact, offer a free heal.

I hope everyone likes boss battles!

code:
Goddess (Level 84)
| HP: 65535 | ATK:   17 | SPD:  158 |
| MP: 42177 | DEF:  177 | HIT:  255 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  43 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 228 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: ice, bolt, bio, wind, pearl
VULNERABLE: haste, protect, reflect, regen
AUTO: casting, protect, reflect, regen
SPECIAL "V Shed": attack x1.5
SKILLS: Bolt 3, Charm, Flash Rain, Goner, Ice 3, Ice Beam, Slow 2, Water Edge
STEAL: Cursed Shld, Moogle Charm
DROPS: Ice Shld, Exp. Egg
Wait, wait a minute. What's that? SKILLS: Goner. Oh my god why?

No no no no no!

Goner does NOT gently caress around. It has the highest spell power in the game at 220, is unblockable, and non-elemental. You CANNOT survive it without enough HP to do so. Only Kefka has it in vanilla. Maaaaaaybe with enough magic defense you could live.

My best hope is just that she doesn't use it at all, really. Serena says it all here.

Fixed Dice are broken.

Quake still isn't good enough.

GrandTrain is much higher in power but also costs way more MP.

Broken as hell!

Oh cool, that thing I don't need which bets for an Excalibur! Thanks!

I don't know if South Figaro is guaranteed to show up in the Final Dungeon but if it does, the treasures in the barrels are upgraded even further. That's why I always leave them until now. You'll see at the end with the list of treasure.

Like the ProtoArmor in the Magitek Facility, Prometheus isn't randomized and will normally appear in Kefka's Tower. I'm not sure why. I also just noticed that I forgot to mark which one is which but I believe Whizo is the floating robot. Topsarm is a real badass sprite!

We already fought this guy in the Collapsing House but here we are again. 10,690 HP is average for this dungeon so :effort:.

Beep boop, I'm a lovely boss!

code:
Guardian (Level 67)
| HP: 65535 | ATK:   18 | SPD:  137 |
| MP:  8412 | DEF:  193 | HIT:  133 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  40 | EVD:    0 |
NULLIFY: ice, earth;  WEAK: bolt
VULNERABLE: reflect, zombie
AUTO: morph, vanish
SPECIAL "EvilZinger": attack x1.5
SKILLS: Atomic Ray, Diffuser, Entwine, Flare, Flare Star, Launcher, Meteo, Missile, Shock Wave, Stone, Tek Laser, TekBarrier, Tentacle, WaveCannon
LORE: Stone
STEAL: Magus Rod, Gold Hairpin
DROPS: Fixed Dice, Fixed Dice

I'm sure that somewhere, in the millions of possible seeds, there exists a Guardian fight that sucks.

This is not one.

I didn't need to do this.

But it's fun!

Poor bot can't catch a break.

You can try to fight a form of it in Vector when you go there in the World of Balance. It's specifically designed to immediately kill you and be unkillable. I haven't actually tried with any broken attacks but I'm sure nothing would happen.

This fight, however, Wei actually killed it with Zombie from Mind Blast! A robot that can become a zombie, what a world we live in.

Lime green? Slimer will have words for this boss.

code:
Poltrgeist (Level 82)
| HP: 65535 | ATK:   37 | SPD:  169 |
| MP: 38976 | DEF:  236 | HIT:  255 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  38 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 222 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: fire, wind;  WEAK: bio
VULNERABLE: blind, haste
AUTO: casting, cover, haste, morph, near death, vanish
SPECIAL "RazorSpear": damage + shell
SKILLS: Blaster, Flare, Flare Star, Magnitude8, Shrapnel, Stop, Tentacle, X-Zone
STEAL: Red Jacket
DROPS: Tiger Fangs, Scimitar

Oof. I really hope it doesn't multi target that attacks.

I love that shields take on the colors of the spell they block.

Hey, look at this dummy that didn't put Wall Rings on again!

Magnitude8 is a WoB Zozo tier spell. Even if I didn't null Earth it wouldn't do much.

Things get dicey.

Eventual Merton strats cure all ails, however. I got very lucky that I didn't see X-zone or a lot of Shrapnel.

That's just rude, Rein. Wait a minute, I just noticed that Rein's sprite is a different color in battle. That's..weird as hell.

Cecil from the Discord posted:

I think one of the seeds I have in progress has that occur. I suspect it has to do with the randomized WoR recruitment locations. Either a WoR-only character being initialized in a WoB character location, or vice versa, if I had to theorize.

I don't know why we do a dance after beating just this one boss.

You may have noticed that I skipped a lot of shots of the dungeon, particularly the parts that aren't changed. Honestly they aren't all that interesting besides showing where I've ended up. I don't think anyone cares to see how I navigated the room with three switches.

ALL TREASURES
23,000 GP
Minerva
Heal Rod x2
Wing Edge
Aegis Shield x2
Muscle Belt
Minerva
Thunder Shield
Stunner
Force Armor
Fixed Dice

I now have three Fixed Dice, and at least two Merit Awards. This turns some of my more useless characters into powerhouses!

Next time is the final update and it's a doozy. The final battle video alone is 40 minutes, and it took me AT LEAST a dozen tries.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I am surprised as hell you managed to get through bosses like Goddess with those HP totals.

Also god I hate 40k+ HP encounters. even with ultima spam they can take ages to burn down.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Which of those treasures came from the South Figaro barrels and stuff? Definitely an improvement, either way.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Which of those treasures came from the South Figaro barrels and stuff? Definitely an improvement, either way.

I know for sure one of the Aegis Shields did. Maybe also a Minerva and Force Armor? I got a Fixed Dice from a drop and another one from a chest elsewhere at some point. Shame I had to wait so long! I don't know if I just missed the Moogle Charms or they were in chests that I couldn't access.

FINAL DUNGEON
*Enemy 040: Storm Drgn x1
*Enemy 084: Poltrgeist x1
*Enemy 126: Ice Dragon x1
*Enemy 200: Dirt Drgn x1
*Enemy 225: Nur Sly x1, Resom x1, Saab Wayso x1
*Treasure 021: Heal Rod
*Treasure 023: Fixed Dice
*Treasure 024: Minerva
*Treasure 026: Stunner
*Treasure 028: Moogle Suit
*Treasure 029: Rainbow Brsh
*Treasure 037: Minerva
*Treasure 038: Fixed Dice
*Treasure 083: 24600 GP
*Treasure 085: Fixed Dice
*Treasure 086: Dragon Horn
*Treasure 098: Force Armor
*Treasure 104: Rising Sun
*Treasure 105: Sky Render
*Treasure 124: TortoiseShld
*Treasure 127: Magus Rod
*Treasure 128: Atma Weapon
*Treasure 129: Cat Hood
*Treasure 170: Offering
*Treasure 191: Moogle Charm
*Treasure 193: Moogle Charm
*Treasure 195: Dragon Claw
*Treasure 196: 23600 GP
*Treasure 198: Snow Muffler
*Treasure 199: Magus Rod
*Treasure 201: Nutkin Suit
*Treasure 213: Stunner
*Treasure 225: Nutkin Suit
*Treasure 230: Muscle Belt
*Treasure 235: Coin Toss
*Treasure 235: Rage Ring
*Treasure 251: Cat Hood
Enemy 220: AtmaWeapon x1
Enemy 224: Red Dragon x1
Enemy 268: L.255Magic x1
Enemy 272: Wrai x3
Treasure 178: Excalibur
Treasure 214: Imp Halberd
Treasure 215: Fixed Dice
Treasure 216: Ribbon
Treasure 217: Merit Award
Treasure 218: Thunder Shld
Treasure 219: Hardened
Treasure 221: Tao Robe
Treasure 222: Scimitar
Treasure 223: Aegis Shld
Treasure 226: 23000 GP
Treasure 241: Fixed Dice
Treasure 242: SwordBreaker
Treasure 259: Marvel Shoes
Treasure 260: Cat Hood
Treasure 261: Merit Award
Treasure 262: Tiger Fangs
Treasure 263: Drainer
Treasure 264: Ice Shld
Treasure 265: Megalixir
Treasure 266: Graedus
Treasure 267: Hardened
Treasure 269: Guardian
Treasure 270: TortoiseShld
Treasure 271: Force Armor
Treasure 273: Aegis Shld
Treasure 274: Minerva
Treasure 275: Wing Edge
Treasure 276: Heal Rod
Treasure 277: Stunner
Treasure 278: Force Armor

According to the treasure guide on the Discord, both Moogle Charms should be in the Cave on the Veldt section of the Final Dungeon but I don't remember going there. I can't even find the chests that are supposed to have MagiMaster and some others. I'll edit if I find out what the deal is.

Edit:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Today, we fight for our world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OjB0abkWnE
Final Fantasy X - Seymour's Ambition

No matter the cost.

Reckoning approaches. Do we have the strength to make it Kefka's?

The fiend reveals himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmn_xy9Vl60
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Song of Storms/Windmill Hut

God dammit BC you are too good for this world.

Look how adoorable Kefka is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cH6xD49Amw

Scar and Ukyo get tossed around a bit while everyone else stands around silently.

Zepeli tries to reason with Kefka, and Kefka murders more people in response.

There is no reasoning. There is only violence.

Final Fantasy IV has a final fight against a single boss. Final Fantasy V has two fights; a single boss then a four piece boss. Final Fantasy VI has four separate boss fights with ten total targets. Beyond Chaos makes that eleven targets; we'll get into that later.

Overall, it's the most badass fight in an RPG.

Watch Tier 1 here

code:
Short Arm (Level 94)
| HP: 34408 | ATK:  128 | SPD:   63 |
| MP: 18646 | DEF:  164 | HIT:  243 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  17 | EVD:   17 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 175 | MBLK:   0 |
WEAK: water
VULNERABLE: berserk, float, haste, mute, protect, reflect, regen, seizure, shell, slow
SPECIAL "Song Dark": attack x1.5

Long Arm (Level 93)
| HP: 60913 | ATK:   87 | SPD:   71 |
| MP: 21305 | DEF:  166 | HIT:  184 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  82 | EVD:    7 |
WEAK: wind
VULNERABLE: berserk, death, float, haste, petrify, protect, reflect, regen, shell
SPECIAL "WakeUp": damage + hp drain
SKILLS: Shimsham, Shock Wave
STEAL: Charm Bangle
DROPS: Tao Robe
MORPH (3%): Forged, Gaia Gear, Gale Hairpin, Hawk Eye

Face (Level 83)
| HP: 52602 | ATK:  128 | SPD:   96 |
| MP: 24688 | DEF:  197 | HIT:  182 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  16 | EVD:   23 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 197 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: earth;  WEAK: fire
VULNERABLE: protect, reflect, regen, shell
OTHER: can't escape, humanoid
SKILLS: Blow Fish, Dread, Giga Volt, Haste, Quake, Safe, Surge
LORE: Blow Fish
STEAL: Tintinabar, Safety Bit
The general strategy is to check if Long Arm has Death protection, then kill Face after Long Arm. Save Short Arm for last because Face counters with a heavy spell if it dies last. In this case it is Quake but it could be something like Merton! Short Arm also only has physical attacks so if you have Vanish, you can buff up and Vanish while killing any characters you don't want to bring with you to the next tier.

Ukyo has pretty good defense so they're not worried about regular attacks.

Long Arm is ID vulnerable! Demi/Quartr reduce enemy HP by a percentage and don't work if they're immune to Death.

The next time Long Arm does anything, it will die afterward. I think it gets pulled off the body by the airship, which is hardcore.

Zepeli is much less equipped to deal with physical attacks. I need to keep them alive to provide Quick to Rein.

So far, it's not too bad.

Chainsaw does more damage than Drill but has a chance of trying to use Death instead of damage, which won't work on Face.

I don't have Ultima here but Meteor is acceptable. Generally you don't want to use MT attacks because you want to kill one boss at a time.

code:
Hmm I wonder what this does..

Exactly what is says, actually. Whoever gets hit with it will use a random Dance on their next turn, and will continue until killed or until they Stumble. The only way to Stumble is to try and use a different Dance than one that is already going.

Dance sucks here but GrandTrain is better than Meteor.

Rein, notably, is wearing a Ribbon but not any ID protection. They're immune to all statuses but can still be killed outright.

This is the easiest way to stop their dancing.

I found a reasonably easy encounter in the tower that dropped Megalixirs. It's now or never, hoarding be damned.

"This is fine, Face will die long before Short Arm since they have similar HP totals*"

*they did not

I wanted Scar to die to get someone better. I did NOT want Zepeli to die to Quake.

In the end, it seems to have worked out OK!

Watch Tier 2 here

code:
Hit (Level 88)
| HP: 59180 | ATK:   14 | SPD:   53 |
| MP: 14081 | DEF:  151 | HIT:  222 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  16 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 197 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: fire, earth
VULNERABLE: berserk
AUTO: reflect, regen
SPECIAL "Rush Dirk": death
STEAL: Imp Halberd, Relic Ring

Tiger (Level 80)
| HP: 65535 | ATK:   17 | SPD:   38 |
| MP: 21643 | DEF:  172 | HIT:  184 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  13 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 204 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: ice, bio, water;  WEAK: bolt
VULNERABLE: float, image, protect, reflect
AUTO: casting, protect
SPECIAL "Sport Zap": death (unblockable)
SKILLS: Flare Star, N. Cross, S. Cross
STEAL: Coronet, Tao Robe

Tools (Level 82)
| HP: 40183 | ATK:   28 | SPD:   62 |
| MP: 15972 | DEF:  135 | HIT:  151 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  17 | EVD:    0 |
NULLIFY: bio;  WEAK: bolt
VULNERABLE: condemned
AUTO: haste, reflect
SPECIAL "Nice Aqua": death
SKILLS: Absolute 0, Blaze, Delta Hit, Diffuser, Grav Bomb, Shimsham, Tek Laser, Wombat
STEAL: Charm Bangle

Magic (Level 91)
| HP: 65535 | ATK:    1 | SPD:   89 |
| MP: 19741 | DEF:  200 | HIT:  169 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  15 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 126 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: bolt, bio
VULNERABLE: death
AUTO: float, floating, shell
SPECIAL "Flap Role": damage + reraise (unblockable)
SKILLS: Bolt 2, Bolt 3, Dispel, Drain, Fire 3, Flare, Haste, Haste2, Life 3, Mute, Pearl, Poison, Quartr, Raid, Rasp
STEAL: Relic Ring
DROPS: Relic Ring
MORPH (75%): Cursed Ring, Elixir, Fire Rod, Tack Star
Much like Tier 1, some of this Tier is vulnerable to death. You want to try and Mute Magic if possible, and Death Tools. You should also check Magic for Death, as mine is vulnerable here. Tools is only vulnerable to Condemned but in all my attempts I never got it to stick. I think the problem is that being vulnerable to Condemned doesn't automatically make you vulnerable to Death. After those two you want to kill Tiger, as when Hit dies, they do ten physical attacks to the group that can be easily avoided with Vanish, same as Short Arm.

Rein don't care.

Let me know if you can figure out how to block a world encompassing ice block with a shield.

Goodbye, Magic. We hardly knew you.

Kaoru is my hero, they brought Ultima for Rein :allears:

Being Frozen isn't a big problem because:

A world ending firestorm will warm you right up!

Popuko is mad.

Oh no not that spell from the very beginning of the game!

Another reasonably easy Tier so far. I think I only died once to Tier 1/2 in all my attempts, due to bad rolls.

code:
Deals an amount of damage to all targets equal to the level of one random target times 80 divided by the number of targets. It is Fire-elemental, unblockable, ignores defense and Split Damage. It is affected by the Silence status.
Flare Star CAN be dangerous. Not here.

Since I'm an idiot, I did things out of order at first. Vanish means you always get hit by a spell targeted at you, and you lose Vanish status but you cannot be hit by physical attacks.

I use my time wisely, buffing everyone up. I think this is probably the best party I can get, since Zepeli is already dead.

Ultima does NOT gently caress around.

Rush Dirk will straight kill someone if it hits. I make sure it doesn't.

Yes, everyone is supposed to resemble Kefka. It's a whole thing.

Watch Tier 3 here

code:
Girl (Level 78)
| HP: 15161 | ATK:  127 | SPD:  101 |
| MP: 21400 | DEF:  202 | HIT:  156 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  18 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 200 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: fire, ice, bolt, bio, wind, pearl, earth, water
VULNERABLE: Nothing
AUTO: near death, reflect
SPECIAL "StringCast": damage + confuse
SKILLS: Life 2, Pearl Wind
LORE: Pearl Wind
STEAL: Merit Award

Sleep (Level 77)
| HP: 65535 | ATK:   91 | SPD:   59 |
| MP: 15767 | DEF:  158 | HIT:  186 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  11 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 175 | MBLK:   0 |
VULNERABLE: float, reflect, regen
AUTO: float, reraise
SPECIAL "Take Orb": damage + frozen (unblockable)
SKILLS: Condemned, Merton, Meteo, TekMissile, Train, W Wind
LORE: Condemned
STEAL:
DROPS: Moogle Charm
If you're going in totally blind, this Tier can be a real problem. Girl absorbs all eight elements and casts Pearl Wind and Life 2. You absolutely need to kill Girl first unless you're some kind of masochist. Sleep will counter with Meteo and also does several obnoxious attacks so you don't want to dilly dally on them either.

Obnoxious like this. Poor Rein.

MT spells are a bit of a fool's errand here but Girl only has 15k HP so it isn't actually as bad as you might think. I do over half their HP in two castings of Ultima.

Pearl Wind recovers HP equal to the caster's current HP. It'll max out at 9,999 which still isn't great.

Ukyo ain't scared.

Popuko is entirely done with this poo poo.

So close!

Meteo has a low chance of hitting but it really hurts when it does.

So does TekMissile but at least it only targets one person.

Sleep has Reraise because why not?

Train is unblockable and puts Blind/Silence on all targets. Annoying as hell and the entire reason I put a Ribbon on Rein. I don't care if the rest of them are Blind/Silenced because I don't need to attack or cast spells with them.

Finally, the tenth out of our eleven bosses!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCHLrls0P1Y
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom - Battle 3

Watch the Final Fight here

code:
Wild Cat (Level 71)
| HP: 65535 | ATK:  121 | SPD:   89 |
| MP: 65534 | DEF:  166 | HIT:  255 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  14 | EVD:   86 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 160 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: bio, pearl, water
VULNERABLE: float, regen
AUTO: float, reraise
SPECIAL "Fore Super": attack x4
SKILLS: Bolt 3, Fallen One, Fire 3, HyperDrive, Ice 3, Train
STEAL: Graedus
I....actually no idea why Abyssonym added this in. Let's just roll with it. This fight is MOSTLY used to buff yourself up and get ready for Final Kefka. If you time things right, you can kill it right after it uses Fallen One which will make Final Kefka come in at a part of his script that is a bit easier.

First things first, gotta unfreeze Ukyo. Not like I'm gonna use this Flame Shield for anything else.

I love you, Kaoru and Rein.

DANGER! DANGER! Fallen One suuuuuucks. Unless you get it on a Dance or Slots..

At least the regular attack isn't too bad.

Neither is the special, unless it targets Rein.

Reraise, because nothing in this randomizer is ever easy.

Top everyone up, as Wild Cat here now has 8,192 HP.

Popuko from downtown!

Surprise, motherfucker!

Timestamped to Kefka's entrance

code:
Kefka (Level 91)
| HP: 65535 | ATK:  255 | SPD:  230 |
| MP: 65534 | DEF:  190 | HIT:  255 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  28 | EVD:   79 |
NULLIFY: ice, bio, pearl, water
VULNERABLE: regen
AUTO: casting, floating, haste, interceptor, regen
SPECIAL "Eyes": attack x9
SKILLS: Drain, Fallen One, Goner, HyperDrive, Meteor, Revenger, Train, Ultima
STEAL: Tiger Fangs
I've seen some really easy Kefkas, including one that had half this much HP. This is not an easy Kefka. This is a damage race, and a fast one. Kefka WILL kill everyone in one shot with Goner/Meteor/Ultima if he gets the chance. I didn't grind out 4-5k worth of HP. Should I have? Maybe but that's boring.

Kefka will counter most things, either with an attack or HyperDrive. This happens even if you're in the middle of a Quick+X Magic combo, so the best strategy is to use a defensive spell last so he won't counter. Once Kefka enters Goner phase, he's not supposed to counter attack anymore so you need to go all in. Remember to spend as much time as needed in Menus (if playing on Wait mode) to let animations play out. Done right, you gain some extra time while denying the same to Kefka.

Kefka comes out swinging. He's rude as hell.

This is his regular attack but with NINE TIMES damage. That's just under half of Popuko's HP if they were at full. Rein would be gibbed instantly.

I'll need roughly 8 Ultimas, if I do nothing else, to kill Kefka before he kills me. Rein can do two in a turn if he doesn't get countered to death. Luckily, sometimes Kefka will only use a regular attack.

I forgot I had Safe and Shell on, so Rein doesn't take as much damage as I thought.

When Kefka's head appears, we're in Goner phase. The screen shakes, and at any moment he will cast Goner.

That's when we go in as hard as we can.

Kefka doesn't let up either, because gently caress me.

code:
Revenger is an enemy ability used by Kefka during the final battle. It removes Vanish, Image, Regen, Haste, Protect, Shell, Reflect, Life 3 and Float from all targets, and is unblockable.
Yeah, sure, why not?

Life sucks, then you die.

Kefka laughs at our misfortune, going into Goner phase again?

Go Kaoru! Show that overgrown angel that it's his time to die!

Ukyo didn't deserve this fate :smith:

In the beginning, there was time. Time lead to clocks. Clocks lead to the end of all.

This was my 15-16th attempt. Look at how down to the wire it came.

Naru and Sakura join us, leaving literally no one flying the airship. C'mon, I gave you one job!

Zepeli goes into Esper form, their body being torn apart from the inside as Magic itself begins dying.

Our Magicite turns to dust as the Life Force inside each one is lost. The Warring Triad gave Magic to this world and with their death, Magic goes too.

Hope is not lost while our friends live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZHeWJ_OvLo

I will not be documenting the ending. Please watch it in video form. It's a drat good ending. Zepeli has one final surprise for everyone.

It took me just three days shy of a year to start and finish this LP. There were weeks when I just didn't want to do anything, and weeks where I wanted to do three updates. It was a lot more work than I thought it would be, and a lot more learning as well.

I want to thank all of you for sticking through to the end, accepting my mistakes and learning as we go, and always believing in me (I assume.)

I also want to thank the members of the Beyond Chaos Community for always answering my questions and being supportive of everyone that likes this randomizer. You might say they are Beyond Cool.

I don't know what the future holds for me in the LP world. Maybe I'll do another one someday, I've got plenty of ideas. For now, I just want to relax a bit without this LP dangling in the back of my mind.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That Hyperdrive counter was the reason I was surprised you went in this with those HP totals. That thing always fucks me up.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

That Hyperdrive counter was the reason I was surprised you went in this with those HP totals. That thing always fucks me up.

HyperDrive didn't worry me as much, since it's single target. The rest of his MT stuff was going to kill me no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Thanks for this, it was fun! (even if I could never keep track of who was who or what names went to who or who could do what).

Like, were the character names randomized letters, or were they all references to obscure anime or something?

I assume all the monster names were completely randomly generated gibberish.