Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Thanks to this thread, I found this amazing randomizer, and it's given me some gems.

It's created my favorite ability ever, which is HeaBlas. It is Heal Force followed by Blaster. I heal them for a gigantic amount of HP and then hit them with instant death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Confirming that the Vargas fight can be a real pain in the rear end depending on what your Sabin stand in rolled.

Ask me about fighting Vargas with a Runic Berserker. (I think it only actually took around 3 attempts for the rng to go my way, but still.)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Since Draco Edward had Tools and Figaro Castle sold a bioblaster I had it easy. Banon Dual Casting Gray magic or stabbing with a knife helped very little compared to the compound effects of poison.

Its not FFX levels of lethal, but FFVI poison isn't something you want to leave in battle for long.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

My Sabin turned out to be a fat baby named Berry, and his randomized command was Cokatri. Cokatrice is a pretty great attack, but for some inexplicable reason it has a roulette effect applied to it. So, uh, the first time I used it, Berry beaned himself in the face with a big bird and killed himself. Vargas went home happy in that alternate universe, I suppose.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'll have an update sometime this week, I'm very tired today. After all, I have to at least make it to Kefka@Narshe to beat that other LP!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

We did it, everyone. Now we can talk to the leader of the Returners and finally get rid of the Empire!

First we gotta do some menuing tho.

The Rage menu itself isn't any different besides the randomized monster names. Hitting 'A' with this special ROM gives us a lot more info! The top part tells us the level and HP of the monster and any auto-statuses and immunities the monster has. The Nautee is immune to Blind and Sleep which are handy.

The bottom part shows which two skills your Rager will use; in vanilla all Rages have Battle and whatever special move was programmed for the monster. Here those two abilities will often include Battle but not always. The Nautee does have Battle, as well as its Special Attack available to the rage. We can also see that it absorbs Wind/Fire, nullifies Ice and is weak to Poison.

The Nautee isn't actually that great of a Rage. A regular Battle command and an ability that turns the enemy invisible isn't very impressive; remember that the Vanish + Doom/X-Zone exploit is fixed.

Coex Ana has some differences. It still has Battle but does not have the monster's Special Attack, as indicated by it not being under Rage Skills and also greyed out under Special. Love Token is very strong.

code:
Love Token - Makes one target cover for the user. Unblockable and affected by the Silence status.
Love Token is normally used by Goddess, a final dungeon boss, and a handful of other enemies that only show up in the special GBA-only dungeons. "So what, it's just True Knight" you might be thinking. Well, stop that because you're wrong. The character that gets hit with Love Token will take ALL physical attacks aimed at that character, until Death Do You Part. There's a video I can't find where someone uses it on Kefka and also I think Berzerks him somehow. Kefka keeps attacking himself until he dies.

Giveng and Encrut have a couple more things to show off. Giveng reveals how ridiculous some of the immunities can get, including Magitek. Magitek Armor is actually a status given to your characters, in the intro and in Cyan's Dream. Immunity to it means you just have access to your normal battle commands available. There are exploits you can do to get Magitek status outside of those areas. I will not be doing these exploits but here is abyssonym explaining how it works (minor editing for clarity):

quote:

I've done it before but you kind of have to plan out an entire playthrough around getting Leo into the WoR then entering Cyan's dream with five characters. You then change your party order in a specific way during the Magitek sequence. The game sets/heals Magitek status on only the "first 3" (disclaimer: might not be the first 3) characters, so if you move them around then someone won't get that status removed. So you leave Cyan's dream with one character who has Magitek status, then you can use Leap Frogs + Rippler to transfer that to someone else (ideally Terra) and Tek Missile Kefka in the face.

Encrut has Near Death and Interceptor status. I did some testing earlier; Interceptor status on a monster does nothing and using Rippler to transfer it to another character also does nothing. You CAN transfer Interceptor from a character to a monster if that monster uses Rippler, then use your own Rippler to get Interceptor on another character. I don't know of a way to clone the status in a way that works so you'll only ever have one dog. Being in Near Death status will also never trigger a Desperation Attack while Raging as no monsters have the Fight command. You can also see that the Encrut doesn't even have a Battle command. Taiga will choose between casting Slow and using their Special attack, which is just Battle at 3x the damage. The highest it can theoretically go is x9 but I've only personally seen x6.5.

Anyway, where were we?

Oh right. We're here to collect tribute.

First, I sell this lovely stick I found in a box. That lets me stock up on Tonics, Potions and some Tents. I feel much safer.

Now we go looting! This Mithril Pike has some good damage but Reverse Cures is not a good thing to have unless you're planning for it. That's the same effect you normally get from the Relic Ring; it basically turns your character undead. All healing spells do damage, casting most varieties of Doom will fully heal them, and any absorbtion spells (Drain, Lifeshaver, etc.) cast on that person will reverse. It can be useful but you need to have a reason to use it normally.

Pardon me, Your Highness.

+1 Speed is alright but that Defense is 10 lower than vanilla.

Lower defenses :effort:

I also pick up:

Buckler x2
Fenix Down
Tent
Head Band
Blossom

What a lovely haul.

Her Highness tries to Dragon Warrior our rear end but we stick to our guns of saying no, an- HEY

https://i.imgur.com/5GivsNr.gifv

This is bullshit!

All is forgiven, Princess Banon. Look at those stat increases! Sure it has 36 less defense than vanilla but +6 to Speed/Magic Power and +7 to Vigor is huge when I don't have any Espers yet.

In case it isn't clear, Banon gave us the BehemothSuit instead of a Genji Glove.

Banon herself ain't really bringing the cows home. The Magic Power is OK but she's stuck with the Biggs/Wedge Magitek abilities. At least she has Heal Force! She's also a lefty and I'm very glad she's carrying that Guardian and Memento Ring. Assuming it still has the vanilla ability of Instant Death immunity.

I've heard of water bears but this is ridiculous. The Undiesi is the bear, Snuch is the ...crawfish? And Hend is every nightmare about killer robots.

code:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Snuch (Level 12)
/---------------------------------\
| HP: 125 | ATK:    5 | SPD:   27 |
| MP: 108 | DEF:  114 | HIT:  105 |
| XP:  45 | MPOW:   7 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:  73 | MDEF: 156 | MBLK:   0 |
\---------------------------------/
NULLIFY: fire;  WEAK: bolt
IMMUNE: death
AUTO: shell
OTHER: can't escape
SPECIAL "D Anchor": near death
RAGE: Battle, D Anchor
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, D Anchor, D Anchor
STEAL: Green Cherry, Antidote
DROPS: Potion
MORPH (50%): Bolt Edge, Full Moon, Peace Ring, X-Potion

Undiesi (Level 11)
| HP: 151 | ATK:   14 | SPD:   33 |
| MP:  11 | DEF:   54 | HIT:  110 |
| XP:  74 | MPOW:  11 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 126 | MDEF: 159 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: bolt, water;  WEAK: fire
IMMUNE: condemned, shell, sleep
AUTO: imp, slow
OTHER: ambusher, difficult to run
SPECIAL "NeedleHand": damage + near death
SKILLS: Escape
RAGE: Battle, NeedleHand
CONTROL: Battle, Escape, Escape, NeedleHand
STEAL: Cotton Robe, Shuriken
DROPS: Kung Fu Suit
MORPH (12%): Chocobo Suit, Hero Ring, Jewel Ring, Tempest

Hend (Level 12)
| HP: 413 | ATK:   29 | SPD:   48 |
| MP:  71 | DEF:   70 | HIT:  121 |
| XP: 464 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 289 | MDEF: 190 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: ice, wind;  WEAK: water
IMMUNE: imp, vanish
AUTO: float, runic, shell
SPECIAL "Head": attack x3
SKILLS: Ice, Slow 2
RAGE: Slow 2, Battle
CONTROL: Battle, Ice, Lullaby, Slow 2
STEAL: Soft, Shuriken
DROPS: Plumed Hat, Soft
MORPH (6%): Air Lancet, Debilitator, Hardened, Imp Halberd

Undiesi and Snuch are fine, Hend has some neat stuff. Attack x3 again with a pretty good ATK, and auto-Runic. This functions in the same way as Celes' normal command. Any spell or command that is affected by Runic will automatically be absorbed as MP. If you encounter a badass magic-throwing enemy but they have auto-Runic, it's an easy win for you. I once had Atma Weapon on the Floating Continent with it.

https://i.imgur.com/7Xwmy3i.gifv

But what is this? They took MP DAMAGE? This is a quirk of the Runic system. Any creature (including Celes in vanilla) that absorbs an element, if they use Runic, will instead take MP damage from that element. This game is weird.

A water battle means a new dance!

code:
Sand Storm - Deals strong Wind-elemental damage to all targets. It's Spell Power is 45 and it ignores split damage.
Megazerk - Inflicts Berserk status on all targets. It is unblockable, but it is vulnerable to Runic, and affected by the Silence status.
7-Flush - Deals non-elemental magic damage to all enemies. Spell power is 84.
Cave In - Reduces one target's HP by 3/4 of its current amount and causes Sap. It is unblockable, but it will fail on targets immune to Death.
It's not great. 7-Flush is the Gems/Diamonds result from vanilla Slots and while it does decent damage, you have a low chance of getting it.

My what nice teeth you have!

Not that they'll do you any good, you delicious little morsel.

code:
Ultros (Level 13)
/----------------------------------\
| HP: 3139 | ATK:   16 | SPD:   42 |
| MP:  722 | DEF:   43 | HIT:  109 |
| XP:    0 | MPOW:   3 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:    0 | MDEF: 146 | MBLK:   0 |
\----------------------------------/
NULLIFY: water;  WEAK: fire, bolt
VULNERABLE: blind, float, haste, image, protect, reflect, regen, shell, slow, stop, vanish
SPECIAL "Hands Role": damage + blind
SKILLS: Tentacle
STEAL:
DROPS:
Yet another boss that absorbs Water, how exciting. About as exciting as the rest of his stats!

The opening salvo of some water and Megazerk heal him and do nothing, respectively.

Princess Banon lays down the law with her Fire Beam.

This time around, Ultros is basically no threat, unless you jump in the water with him like an idiot, as Taiga does.

We made it, everyone! Let's see what our monkey friend has going on.

I mean...sometimes you gotta eat on the go. Might as well take all your beef jerky with you. The Chain Saw and Dried Meats are maxing out Mog's defenses due to non-equipment being weird when equipped. Dried Meat heals 150 HP, which the game is interpreting as 150 Defense instead because of the way it reads item stats.

Next time, we follow Taiga to his doom.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 6, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I mean...sometimes you gotta eat on the go. Might as well take all your beef jerky with you. The Chain Saw and Dried Meats are maxing out Mog's defenses due to non-equipment being weird when equipped. Dried Meat heals 150 HP, which the game is interpreting as 150 Defense instead because of the way it reads item stats.

Looks like Mog has things figured out!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hello again and welcome to Final Fantasy Beyond Chaos EX: Where The Rules Are Made Up And The Strategies Don't Matter. Today we're going through Taiga's scenario and meeting new friends along the way.

New friends like Goku here! He's a real spud, he'll be there for you when you're feeling fried, when your heart is sliced up, and he'll help you hash things out.

His dog is cool too.

Befitting his namesake, our bespeckled friend has a high Vigor and decent Speed/Magic Power. Peep that natural Evade of 35%; that's with Goku completely naked as is natural.

?-Geo is a call back to the Geomancer of old.

code:
??? times, use a random geomancer-type Dance move.
Equal chance of any of the following:
  Antlion, Cave In, El Nino, Elf Fire, Harvester, Land Slide, Plasma, Rage, Sand Storm, Snare, Snowball, Sonic Boom, Specter, Sun Bath, Surge, Wind Slash 

I've already covered a lot of these spells so I won't be writing them all out again. Suffice to say, they do damage, instant kill, heal or do percentage damage in various ways. The "?" means Goku will use one of these skills when you use the commmand. After the first command, there is a 50% chance another one will fire, then 25%, then 12.5%, etc. The theoretical limit is sixteen but good luck getting higher than four or five uses.

The merchant has some good items. I don't really need any of it right now but I do buy a pair of Sprint Shoes. The randomizer gives you auto-run status, rendering the Sprint Shoes useless. This is because using a relic spot to save time is annoying. Instead, the Sprint Shoes are programmed to teach someone a lower level spell. Here I get Fire which is useful! Fire can be used to remove Frozen status without doing a ton of damage.

See ya dawg.

code:
Eclea (Level 9)
| HP: 160 | ATK:   14 | SPD:   32 |
| MP: 114 | DEF:  110 | HIT:  117 |
| XP: 110 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 160 | MDEF: 178 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: ice, wind, earth;  WEAK: bolt
IMMUNE: imp, sleep
AUTO: float
SPECIAL "Bide Moldy": attack x1.5
RAGE: Blizzard, Bide Moldy
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Bide Moldy, Bide Moldy
STEAL: Dried Meat, Tonic
DROPS: Plumed Hat
MORPH (12%): FakeMustache, Gold Lance, Mithril Vest, X-Potion
Sometimes monsters just don't have anything going for them, you know?

code:
Kiel (Level 15)
| HP: 513 | ATK:   14 | SPD:   36 |
| MP:  71 | DEF:  105 | HIT:  116 |
| XP: 162 | MPOW:  12 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 559 | MDEF: 170 | MBLK:   0 |
WEAK: ice
IMMUNE: Nothing
SPECIAL "Chill Imp": blind
SKILLS: Lode Stone, Shimsham
RAGE: Battle, Chill Imp
CONTROL: Battle, Chill Imp, Lode Stone, Shimsham
STEAL: Ninja Gear, Eyedrop
DROPS:
MORPH (99%): Amulet, Enhancer, Magical Brsh, Tack Star

Tabba (Level 16)
| HP: 360 | ATK:   14 | SPD:   44 |
| MP:  23 | DEF:  127 | HIT:  117 |
| XP: 178 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 186 | MDEF: 159 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: bolt, earth;  WEAK: pearl
IMMUNE: imp
SPECIAL "Cosmic Rib": blind
RAGE: Battle, Cosmic Rib
CONTROL: Battle, Cosmic Rib, Cosmic Rib, Cosmic Rib
STEAL: Inviz Edge, Potion
DROPS: Cotton Robe
MORPH (75%): Cards, Dragon Claw, Mirage Vest, Ogre Nix
Other times you find badass things like a T-rex (Tabba) out on patrol with its bulldog buddies (Kiel).

Bulldogs that can throw radioactive boulders at will.

code:
Cushka (Level 11)
| HP: 219 | ATK:   19 | SPD:   35 |
| MP: 103 | DEF:  103 | HIT:  109 |
| XP: 173 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 160 | MDEF: 156 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: fire
OTHER: humanoid
SPECIAL "Jab Rest": damage + slow
RAGE: Battle, Jab Rest
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Jab Rest, Jab Rest
STEAL: Ninja Star, Shuriken
DROPS: Antidote
MORPH (50%): Blizzard, FakeMustache, Falchion, Sniper
This is a really weird place to reenact The Sound of Music.

These poor dogs have to be hot out in this tiny desert.

Secret of Mana: The Wind Never Ceases - Secret of Mana had such good music.

None of that matters cuz we got ourselves a badass over here. Some terrible godawful speed but those commands! Bolt 3 is Bolt 3, MindQua is Mind Blast + Quasar.

code:
Mind Blast - Inflicts Blind, Zombie, Poison, Imp, Petrify, Doom, Silence, Berserk, Confuse, Sap, Sleep, Slow, or Stop on four random targets. Its Hit Rate is 110 and affected by the Silence status.
Quasar - Deals non-elemental damage on all enemies. Ignores defense. It has a Spell Power of 57.
Quasar is a Lore. Mind Blast is used by both Atma Weapons as well as the Kaiser Dragon, a boss in the GBA extra dungeons. The Mind Blast is usually whatever as Quasar will kill a lot of the enemies that are vulnerable to those statuses but sometimes it works fine.

In fact, Mind Blast killed this guy without Quasar even going off!

code:
Leader (Level 12)
| HP: 446 | ATK:   21 | SPD:   39 |
| MP:  20 | DEF:    5 | HIT:  111 |
| XP:   0 | MPOW:  11 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:  65 | MDEF: 114 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: bio, pearl;  WEAK: fire
AUTO: protect
OTHER: can't escape, humanoid
SPECIAL "MysticHoly": attack x1.5
STEAL: Power Sash, Ashura
DROPS: Black Belt
MORPH (75%): Beads, Fixed Dice, Hyper Wrist, Sneak Ring

I hit the chest then completely forgot to actually grab the treasure because I'm a dummy. Luckily, it was only another Magus Hat so I didn't miss anything spectacular.

I talked to a guard to see who I'm up against. We've seen the Giveng before but Got Plet is new.

code:
Got Plet (Level 11)
| HP: 114 | ATK:   14 | SPD:   31 |
| MP:  15 | DEF:   85 | HIT:  107 |
| GP:  42 | MDEF: 157 | MBLK:   0 |
WEAK: bio
IMMUNE: blind, sleep
SPECIAL "Volt Spit": stop
RAGE: Battle, Volt Spit
CONTROL: Battle, Volt Spit, Volt Spit, Volt Spit
STEAL: Soft, Shuriken
DROPS: Eyedrop
MORPH (25%): Amulet, Enhancer, Magical Brsh, Tack Star
They don't give anything good at all!

Kefka looks like he has a butt helmet.

Entirely vanilla MithrilGlove. The other chest had a Fenix Down.

The last chest here had these little fellas in it. Fuelyne is the big beefy one, Oleo Awa is the round red rotund one.

code:
Fuelyne (Level 18)
| HP: 663 | ATK:   13 | SPD:   32 |
| MP: 176 | DEF:  155 | HIT:  118 |
| XP:  96 | MPOW:   3 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 282 | MDEF: 156 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: wind, pearl;  WEAK: fire
IMMUNE: condemned, confuse, death, imp, mute, near death, petrify, sleep
AUTO: protect
SPECIAL "Flap": seizure
SKILLS: Fire Ball
RAGE: Fire Ball, Flap
CONTROL: Battle, Fire Ball, Flap, Flap
STEAL: Sleeping Bag, Antidote
DROPS:

Oleo Awa (Level 15)
| HP: 391 | ATK:   13 | SPD:   36 |
| MP:  42 | DEF:   89 | HIT:  118 |
| XP:  88 | MPOW:  12 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 139 | MDEF: 165 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: fire, ice, wind
IMMUNE: berserk, condemned, death, imp, near death, petrify, sleep
AUTO: haste
SPECIAL "Surf Spray": damage + hp drain
SKILLS: Flash Rain, Stone
RAGE: Stone, Surf Spray
LORE: Stone
CONTROL: Battle, Flash Rain, Stone, Surf Spray
STEAL: Chocobo Brsh, Green Cherry
DROPS: MithrilGlove
MORPH (99%): BehemothSuit, Gold Hairpin, Hyper Wrist, Moogle Suit
They have a good amount of HP and Fireball is dangerous but I pulled through.

code:
Sedup Bad (Level 10)
| HP: 303 | ATK:   30 | SPD:   35 |
| MP: 104 | DEF:  102 | HIT:  119 |
| XP: 168 | MPOW:  12 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 132 | MDEF: 146 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: fire, earth;  WEAK: bolt
IMMUNE: image
AUTO: float, haste, morph, shell
SPECIAL "Belch Run": damage + seizure
RAGE: Battle, Belch Run
CONTROL: Battle, Belch Run, Belch Run, Belch Run
STEAL: Soft, Antidote
DROPS: Plumed Hat
MORPH (75%): AutoCrossbow, Beret, Head Band, Pearl Rod
These are Kefka's elite troops? The Mary Poppins rejects have decent attack but nothing decent to use with it.

Hey. I know these guards aren't very good but I can't advance the story if I don't help you.

code:
Grunt (Level 12)
| HP: 113 | ATK:   13 | SPD:   36 |
| MP:  12 | DEF:   51 | HIT:  107 |
| GP:  60 | MDEF: 153 | MBLK:   0 |
SPECIAL "Dead Noise": damage + mp drain
STEAL: Leather Hat, Shuriken
DROPS: Antidote
MORPH (12%): BehemothSuit, Gold Hairpin, Hyper Wrist, Moogle Suit
Cadet (Level 13)
| HP: 445 | ATK:   13 | SPD:   34 |
| MP:  55 | DEF:   87 | HIT:  120 |
| XP:   0 | MPOW:  12 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 193 | MDEF: 152 | MBLK:   0 |
WEAK: bio
IMMUNE: imp, magitek
AUTO: casting, haste, poison
SPECIAL "GP Hidden": attack x1.5
STEAL: Antidote
DROPS: Antidote, Tonic
MORPH (6%): AutoCrossbow, Beret, Head Band, Pearl Rod
It amuses me when enemies are immune to Magitek status.

https://i.imgur.com/Vv4Fppl.mp4

Goku does not give a single gently caress about any of them. The rest of the fights in the base go about like this.

God dammit not these assholes again!

code:
Rehe (Level 11)
| HP: 123 | ATK:   11 | SPD:   27 |
| MP:  40 | DEF:   57 | HIT:  113 |
| XP:  93 | MPOW:  12 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:  87 | MDEF: 132 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: bio, pearl
AUTO: interceptor
SPECIAL "Smoke": slow
RAGE: Battle, Smoke
CONTROL: Battle, Smoke, Smoke, Smoke
STEAL: Tonic, Tonic
DROPS: Echo Screen
MORPH (12%): Assassin, Blizzard Orb, Chocobo Suit, Flail
More harmless rabbits. Rabbits so hungry that they're reduced to eating rotten cabbage.

The different palette really works for the Phantom Forest.

https://i.imgur.com/efME9bQ.gifv

This is Love Token in action, the one I explained in a previous update. That poor bird is now forever cursed to take physical attacks that are aimed at Taiga until one or the other die.

https://i.imgur.com/PJXTqfp.mp4

This is Mind Blast + Quasar. Get used to that animation if you watch the boss fight videos. The skill is a staple for a while.

This place is seriously pretty. I'm amazed they only reuse it for some of Shadow's dreams and in the ending.

Next time, we enter a spooky train.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
God, I'm insanely jealous of your luck with some of those skills.

For comparison, my Cyan had Fight, Jump, W-BioBla and Natural Magic (A bunch of grey magic, no cure or damage spells). Also, worse stats than vanilla Cyan across the board, including speed and magic. W Bio-bla is BioBlaster used twice, so it was cool that the rage over his family/country being poisoned turned him into some kind of living poison elemental. And somehow he was the most useful character I had for most of the world of balance. Jump and fight are beyond useless, because he has Gau's equipment options. That is to say, he can equip only the Imp Halberd as a weapon.

Shadow had Fight, Steal, R-Miss, and Magic (So cannot use items) but no natural magic. I can't figure out what R-miss stands for, my best guess is "Missile", although almost none of the abilities are even projectiles, let alone missiles or explosions. It has Meteo as an option, but not a frequent one, from what I can tell. His equipment seems to be daggers and staves, the latter of which there were none by this point.

And Sabin had Fight, CARBUNKLE, Magic, and Item, no natural magic. Also weak-sauce claws and daggers for weaponry.

So on the Phantom train (which rolled poison immunity), I could heal only with Sabin using dried meats on people, and my damage source was very, very weak physical attacks, MAYBE getting a lucky Meteo (didn't happen in the try I actually won), and Interceptor. I only won because characters retain their desperation attacks, and Cyan took a break from being completely useless by using Backblade.
~~~~~~~~~~~

My best character has X-magic, no natural spells, and I have yet to find a single Esper he can equip. :negative:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

R-Miss is a collection of spells that have low accuracy. I don't know what's in it off the top of my head but the text file that was generated with your rom will tell you.

I've got some real stinkers coming up, don't you worry about that!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The seed I'm running is quite rude, but not impossible.

First came the Lete river. It has the flying magitek armors who if they're feeling kind would oneshot someone with a bolt beam. If they weren't kind they'd party wipe with a flash rain.
The returner base didn't have any phoenix downs so I had a very fun time. Then Ultros came up, thankfully Cid/Banon had enough health to survive "Y....you scare me!" It burned me single potion to recover though. I Thankfully the bioblaster did its work and managed to kill him between a second "you scare me!" text popped up but before he actually attacked.

The Tunnel Armor was another rear end. Luckily I picked up a Rage Ring with fire absorption and got a good roll of R-Rand which put up Carbuncle to reflect his poo poo back. Because neither of them would survive 2 spells.

Finally, I found out that Shadow is my dancer. I also found out that one of his dances contains Spiraler :smith:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I streamed some Permadeath last night. Very first seed had a very rude enemy in the Narshe clock and I died immediately. Second seed got me all the way to Zozo; I killed one MiaB then got another one that could only kill me with Ice Beam and I didn't have enough Fenix Downs to keep up.

The highlight was going through the Narshe caves with Banon and him eating a Fire Wall that left him at one hitpoint.

Fricassee
Nov 29, 2004
Thank you for posting this thread! I haven’t played FFVI in awhile and this piqued my interest, so I downloaded and started my own seed last night, same options that OP chose. Right now, I’m about to start Mount Koltz with:

Terra (Fight, Jump, Natural Magic with no spells)

Locke (Fight, GP Rain, Slot) - Slot is semi-useful, three diamonds procs Star Prism instakill, three airships summons Terrato. Lagomoprh now summons Unicorn.

Edgar (Fight, Blitz, Phantasm) - Phantasm seems pretty worthless as a command and right now AuraBolt seems to be healing enemies more often than not, so pummel is it for now.

It’s been tough to say the least. The only healing I have access to at the moment is Dried Meat from South Figaro, and gear pickups have been underwhelming. But the challenge of even making it through the Figaro Cave without wiping has made for a fun run, definitely enjoying this and excited to see what broken options come with future characters.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Phantasm is actually pretty good. It's unblockable, won't end until the creature is dead, and has no element so will never heal anyone.

It might take a while to kill something but it's free damage!

Is Terra a Natural Mage or does she just have the Magic command? Not everyone that has Magic also has Natural Magic.

Fricassee
Nov 29, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Phantasm is actually pretty good. It's unblockable, won't end until the creature is dead, and has no element so will never heal anyone.

It might take a while to kill something but it's free damage!

Is Terra a Natural Mage or does she just have the Magic command? Not everyone that has Magic also has Natural Magic.

Up until this point, my team was fighting to stay alive through dungeons due to lack of healing options and no real heavy damage output. Once I have a heartier team I might play around more with phantasm. And that’s a good question, I’m not sure. There’s no spells learned yet, so I don’t know.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fricassee posted:

Up until this point, my team was fighting to stay alive through dungeons due to lack of healing options and no real heavy damage output. Once I have a heartier team I might play around more with phantasm. And that’s a good question, I’m not sure. There’s no spells learned yet, so I don’t know.

If they don't have any spells already, they probably don't have Natural Magic. Or they just may not have any spells yet; I don't know if they always start with two spells or have to be a certain level.

The text file will tell you if you aren't avoiding looking.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 OST: Kingdom Of Tantal (Day) - Never played any of the Xenoblade games. Music seems cool.

Hello friends! Today we're going to cry some tears onto a Train. Or will we?

Look at that carpet!

https://i.imgur.com/C21CTol.gif

Look at those moves!

We run into some new enemies, unsurprisingly. Bientioc is the katana dude, Revel is the wrench dude, Kre is the soldier dude.

code:
Bientioc (Level 11)
| HP: 167 | ATK:   13 | SPD:   28 |
| MP:  28 | DEF:   58 | HIT:  109 |
| XP:  54 | MPOW:  11 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:  57 | MDEF: 166 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: fire, bio;  WEAK: pearl
IMMUNE: condemned, death, haste, image, mute, petrify, seizure, sleep, stop
AUTO: cover, protect
SPECIAL "Re Iron": attack x1.5
RAGE: Launcher, Re Iron
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Escape, Re Iron
STEAL: Inviz Edge

Revel (Level 11)
| HP: 256 | ATK:   19 | SPD:   41 |
| MP: 108 | DEF:  105 | HIT:  118 |
| XP: 180 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 191 | MDEF: 157 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: bolt, earth
IMMUNE: berserk, confuse, poison, protect, slow
AUTO: shell
OTHER: dies at MP zero, humanoid
SPECIAL "GrassyVice": attack x2.5
RAGE: Battle, GrassyVice
CONTROL: Battle, GrassyVice, GrassyVice, GrassyVice
STEAL: Cotton Robe, Shuriken
MORPH (12%): Fenix Down, Soft, TortoiseShld, Wall Ring

Kre (Level 12)
| HP: 240 | ATK:   10 | SPD:   30 |
| MP:  85 | DEF:  104 | HIT:  107 |
| XP:  56 | MPOW:  11 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 147 | MDEF: 162 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: earth, water;  WEAK: fire
IMMUNE: blind, death, haste, mute, petrify, protect, regen, seizure, shell
AUTO: slow
SPECIAL "Direct Red": attack x2
SKILLS: Entwine
RAGE: Entwine, Direct Red
CONTROL: Battle, Direct Red, Entwine, Entwine
STEAL: Plumed Hat, Shuriken
Bientioc is neat in that it has Cover and Protect status, taking half damage from physical attacks and also taking those attacks for any Near Death allies. The Revel also has "Dies at MP zero" which would also be neat if it didn't have such low HP.

Magus that hair color does not suit you at all. Within the files, this character is replaced by Strago once we get him; that's why ????? is identified as Strago. They don't share anything otherwise.

That equipment isn't too bad. Mirage Vest will start our friend in Image status, to avoid a couple physical attacks. Its stats are abyssmal; a Magic Power of 24 isn't going to do much good for 3xWater. Someone having Throw can also be a problem. It means that somewhere out in the world, there are monsters with their own Throw command and it WILL kill you.

The vendor doesn't really have anything impressive.

Magus doing his best Dr. Strange impersonation!

Impressive that she can dance on top of a moving train. The tiny coral Darnautns are just weird.

code:
Gucc (Level 12)
| HP: 178 | ATK:   10 | SPD:   32 |
| MP:  55 | DEF:   93 | HIT:  113 |
| XP:  35 | MPOW:   1 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:  82 | MDEF: 155 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: fire;  WEAK: ice, water
IMMUNE: haste, image, mute, protect, regen
SPECIAL "Hole": imp
SKILLS: Exploder
RAGE: Confusion, Hole
LORE: Exploder
CONTROL: Battle, Confusion, Exploder, Hole
STEAL: Inviz Edge, Kung Fu Suit
DROPS: Striker
MORPH (25%): Chocobo Suit, Hero Ring, Jewel Ring, Tempest

Darnautn (Level 13)
| HP: 364 | ATK:   15 | SPD:   27 |
| MP: 172 | DEF:   80 | HIT:  122 |
| XP:  87 | MPOW:   6 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 393 | MDEF: 155 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: wind;  WEAK: bolt
OTHER: difficult to run
SPECIAL "Change": attack x5
SKILLS: Aqua Rake
RAGE: Aqua Rake, Change
LORE: Aqua Rake
CONTROL: Aqua Rake, Aqua Rake, Battle, Change
STEAL: LeatherArmor
DROPS: Water Edge
MORPH (3%): Flash, Magical Brsh, Relic Ring, Sniper
Gucc is dangerous; she can Imp someone, and explode for a pretty decent amount of damage. I'm lucky there's only one. The Darnautn is no slouch either; attack x5 and Aqua Rake are very painful. Darnautn, however, is an amazing Rage to get!

code:
Ahema (Level 13)
| HP: 305 | ATK:   17 | SPD:   29 |
| MP:  64 | DEF:  105 | HIT:  124 |
| XP:  84 | MPOW:  11 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:  81 | MDEF: 138 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: bio;  WEAK: water
IMMUNE: condemned, image, magitek, mute, near death, reflect, regen, sleep, slow
AUTO: imp
SPECIAL "Moon Vital": poison
RAGE: Battle, Moon Vital
CONTROL: Battle, Moon Vital, Moon Vital, Moon Vital
STEAL:
DROPS: Smoke Bomb, Eyedrop
MORPH (99%): Crystal, Crystal Helm, Cursed Ring, Stunner
These poor fools start off in Imp status. They can't do much of anything. Being weak to water is a mercy.

code:
Siegfried (Level 7)
| HP: 109 | ATK:    1 | SPD:   32 |
| MP:   5 | DEF:   51 | HIT:  105 |
| XP:   0 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:   0 | MDEF: 154 | MBLK:   0 |
VULNERABLE: float, haste, protect, reflect, regen, shell, slow, stop
OTHER: can't escape, undead
SPECIAL "RompPotion": damage + near death
STEAL: Hair Band
DROPS: Dried Meat, Echo Screen
Siegfried died as he lived; an NES looking sprite with a gun and monocolor scheme, fading away to nothingness.

code:
Enamosagro (Level 15)
| HP: 461 | ATK:   14 | SPD:   36 |
| MP: 130 | DEF:  121 | HIT:  124 |
| XP: 212 | MPOW:  11 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 434 | MDEF: 155 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: fire, ice;  WEAK: pearl
IMMUNE: berserk, mute, sleep, zombie
AUTO: imp, reflect, regen
OTHER: undead
SPECIAL "Wrath Slay": poison
SKILLS: Life 3
RAGE: Battle, Wrath Slay
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Life 3, Wrath Slay
STEAL: Kung Fu Suit, Soft
MORPH (99%): Bolt Edge, Cursed Ring, Diamond Shld, ThunderBlade
Another poor bastard doomed to a life of being an Imp. With that amount of HP and Life 3 as a skill he could be pretty obnoxious. Instead he does basically nothing.

Finally, some treasure! What did we get?

The Tiara is OK. Slight defense differences, -1 Stamina that won't change much. The Hawkeye is garbage. Less attack, -10% Evade.

code:
When attacking, it has a 50% chance of dealing 300% damage to floating targets, or 150% damage to non-floating targets when the weapon is thrown.
Not particularly worth it.

code:
GhostTrain (Level 14)
| HP: 2261 | ATK:   10 | SPD:   32 |
| MP:  402 | DEF:   30 | HIT:  118 |
| XP:    0 | MPOW:   5 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:    0 | MDEF: 211 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: bio;  WEAK: fire, bolt, pearl
VULNERABLE: condemned, float, haste, image, poison, regen, vanish
AUTO: casting
OTHER: can't escape, undead
SPECIAL "Sphere Pep": attack x2
SKILLS: Acid Rain, Evil Toot, Sand Storm
STEAL: True Knight
DROPS: True Knight, Tent

Our dog immediately takes out 1/3 of the Train's HP. Good dog.

Less good is when it finally does another attack. It hurts most of the party.

I could have just used a Revivify on the Train, as it is Undead. That's the usual tactic in Permadeath and Speed runs, since that will immediately kill it. As you can see, I didn't even need it.

Out in the world we have another dancing lady in the form of Cushka (detailed in a previous update), her pet Magroader the Tooto Loy, and two backups named Eclea (also previously). They're so ashamed of lacking dance skills that they hide behind the battle UI.

code:
Tooto Loy (Level 7)
| HP: 129 | ATK:   13 | SPD:   33 |
| MP:   0 | DEF:   47 | HIT:  102 |
| XP:  37 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:  79 | MDEF: 161 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: fire, wind, water;  WEAK: bio
IMMUNE: poison
AUTO: casting
SPECIAL "Type Zing": attack x1.5
RAGE: TekBarrier, Battle
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Battle, Type Zing
STEAL: Kodachi, Buckler
DROPS: Eyedrop
MORPH (99%): Air Anchor, Cure Ring, Mithril Shld, Tao Robe
Times are hard in the dancing community.

Strip down, Goku. We're going over a waterfall and you're not taking a bunch of my stuff with you!

code:
Piranha (Level 9)
/--------------------------------\
| HP: 10 | ATK:   15 | SPD:   30 |
| MP: 67 | DEF:  106 | HIT:  108 |
| XP:  0 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:  0 | MDEF: 154 | MBLK:   0 |
\--------------------------------/
NULLIFY: fire, wind;  WEAK: bolt
IMMUNE: death, haste, imp, near death, petrify, poison, regen, stop, zombie
AUTO: float, interceptor, reflect
SPECIAL "DisarmingI": attack x1.5
STEAL:
DROPS: Leather Hat

Rizopas (Level 13)
| HP: 851 | ATK:   16 | SPD:   50 |
| MP:  45 | DEF:  122 | HIT:  112 |
| XP:   0 | MPOW:   3 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:   0 | MDEF: 188 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: water;  WEAK: bolt
IMMUNE: berserk, condemned, confuse, death, imp, magitek, mute, petrify, poison, reflect, vanish, zombie
AUTO: haste, interceptor
SPECIAL "Ink N": mute
SKILLS: El Nino, Mega Volt, Mute
STEAL: Air Lancet, Air Lancet
DROPS: Cards, Tent
Not too bad. The Piranhas having Reflect would be a problem if they didn't have 10 HP. The gimmick of the battle is that Piranhas constantly respawn until 45 seconds or so have gone by. Then the Rizopas appears. It can be fairly dangerous if you don't have a way to kill it fast. I do, with Bolt 3.

Secret of Mana: Fond Memories - Don't you agree that Secret of Mana has good music?

Oh hello. Normally you have to find Gau on the Veldt and feed him some Dried Meat. Since the randomizer can't guarantee you'll have Dried Meat available, the randomizer just puts Gau in your party automatically. Our Gau is....Gau in a suit.

We found a Ninja Star user! They're so much better than Shurikens. Rudol himself is potentially not very impressive. Magic is great, depending on what Espers he can use. Morph and Sonic Boom, less so.

code:
Reduces one enemy's HP by 5/8 of its max HP, inflicts Sap and is unblockable, but fails on targets immune to Death.
Useful when it works but most bosses or dangerous enemies will be immune to Death. Rudol will spend a lot of time on the Airship.

I don't understand the Optimize option a lot of the time. It put that Iron Armor on instead of the Silk Robe.

With that, we conclude today's adventure. Until next time!

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 21, 2019

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

maybe in case of ties in defense stats the game defaults to the one that shows up earliest in the equipment tables?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

FeyerbrandX posted:

maybe in case of ties in defense stats the game defaults to the one that shows up earliest in the equipment tables?

That could be. I actually forgot that Optimize just goes by Defense and Attack.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
234 Battle Power and Morph should put him light-years ahead of anyone you have in damage aside from that nutty "50% chance to use x5 damage physical" Rage.

Fight is secretly the best skill in Final Fantasy VI and it's not particularly close.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

234 Battle Power and Morph should put him light-years ahead of anyone you have in damage aside from that nutty "50% chance to use x5 damage physical" Rage.

Fight is secretly the best skill in Final Fantasy VI and it's not particularly close.

Without something like Genji Glove/Offering or a way to ignore Defenses, I tend not to use Fight unless I have no other damaging commands :shrug:

There should be an update sometime this coming week, I've been busy at work! ...and play.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 16, 2019

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

So I decided to join in on the :bandwagon: and started a randomizer run of my own.

Some highlights include 2 Genji Gloves just leaving Narshe cave, Terra having Mug, Locke having Mimic, combining those three things to make four steal attempts every round, and an enemy in the Figaro desert that has EXP Egg as a common steal but come in groups of three and spam Pearl.

I may or may not have died several times trying to steal one and survive running away.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ah, the smell of a lovely backwoods country town surrounded by all the bastards of the world that want to kill me. I feel right at home. PS, the Veldt music is just the Mt. Koltz/Mt. Zozo theme.

Nothing that blows me away in the shops. Those Beads and White Cape would be nice but I can't afford them.

We're here to support Are Troops.

...after I check this clock.

Funnily, this is what you normally get from doing the soldier's thing. Entirely vanilla.

This is a cool time saver that was implemented into the hack. Instead of going back and forth 5 times, you can just tell this guy to do it all at once. What does our good deed get us?

Same thing the vanilla clock would have! This and the Tintinabar amused me to no end.

GOD DAMMIT

Gau is already feeling the PTSD from those "Can't Run, Back Attack, Blizzard" assholes.

(He gave me a Tonic)

Final Fantasy III: The Forbidden Land Eureka - I can't emphasize enough how much effort emberling on the Discord puts into these randomized songs. She recreates them from the source material to fit the format that FF6 uses, which is very limited. Every song that isn't originally from an SNES game has been completely remade for the randomizer.

Into the river we go, sharing one diving helmet between us. Don't worry about the details.

code:
Hosel (Level 8)
| HP: 465 | ATK:   66 | SPD:   44 |
| MP: 164 | DEF:  114 | HIT:  104 |
| XP:   0 | MPOW:   9 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 365 | MDEF: 144 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: earth, water;  WEAK: pearl
IMMUNE: float, imp, poison, reflect, shell, sleep, stop
AUTO: haste, slow
SPECIAL "Peep Frost": near death
RAGE: Battle, Peep Frost
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Battle, Peep Frost
STEAL: Bolt Edge, Revivify
DROPS: Inviz Edge
MORPH (75%): Bolt Edge, Full Moon, Peace Ring, X-Potion
Today I learned that centipedes can swim and my life feels worse off knowing this fact.

code:
Inhei (Level 14)
| HP: 384 | ATK:   13 | SPD:   33 |
| MP:  32 | DEF:   96 | HIT:  109 |
| XP: 162 | MPOW:  11 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 221 | MDEF: 163 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: bio, water
AUTO: blind
OTHER: undead
SPECIAL "StoredSnow": confuse
SKILLS: Giga Volt
RAGE: Giga Volt, Battle
CONTROL: Battle, Giga Volt, Stop, StoredSnow
STEAL: Antidote
DROPS: Cotton Robe, Echo Screen
MORPH (75%): Amulet, Enhancer, Magical Brsh, Tack Star

Vesaw (Level 13)
| HP: 292 | ATK:   14 | SPD:   26 |
| MP:   0 | DEF:   42 | HIT:  111 |
| XP: 119 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 143 | MDEF: 149 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: earth;  WEAK: fire, ice
IMMUNE: reflect, seizure, sleep, slow, stop, vanish
AUTO: blind, near death, shell
OTHER: ambusher
SPECIAL "Ray Sour": attack x3
RAGE: Mega Volt, Ray Sour
CONTROL: Battle, Ray Sour, Ray Sour, Ray Sour
STEAL:
DROPS: Inviz Edge, Cotton Robe
MORPH (50%): Crystal Helm, Dark Hood, Gauntlet, Red Jacket
Giga Volt (from the skeletal dragon named Inhei) on a pincer attack sucks. A lot. Luckily my crew is rolling deep in the power club and murders them.

This is pretty nice so early. Little bit of extra attack and vigor over vanilla, and the ability to attack a fire weakness if needed.

The other cave gives us the polar opposite (:haw:) in an Ice Rod. Not really worth using with the Fight command but breaking it for a multi target Ice 2 is a great backup plan.

Don't worry Taiga, I've been there too. You'll bounce back.

Not much going on in the regular shops.

However the Relic Shop is half priced! I pick up a White Cape that turns out to be pretty good! Everything but the Auto Shell is vanilla but those immunities and 33% less damage from Magic is wonderful.

We're leaving before they find the pile of vomit Taiga left on the docks.

Let's see what our sorry soaking wet raft riders are up to.

WHAT DOES EVERYBODY WANT

Hi are you interested in buying some knives? They're the highest of quality.

The only good way to deal with door-to-door MLM scammers.

You can't get into the Beginner's Hall in the World of Balance. There's a reason; it'll be a long while before we can get in there and show it off.

I love the Vanish status effect.

code:
Neogen Sed (Level 12)
| HP: 161 | ATK:   12 | SPD:   30 |
| MP:  23 | DEF:   96 | HIT:  114 |
| XP: 113 | MPOW:  12 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 135 | MDEF: 155 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: pearl
IMMUNE: berserk, near death
SPECIAL "Rapid Mega": berserk
RAGE: Battle, Rapid Mega
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Rapid Mega, Rapid Mega
STEAL: Eyedrop
DROPS: Shuriken
MORPH (99%): Sniper Sight, Stout Spear, Tack Star, White Cape

Lynce (Level 11)
| HP: 208 | ATK:   13 | SPD:   34 |
| MP:  29 | DEF:   57 | HIT:  102 |
| XP: 149 | MPOW:  12 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 126 | MDEF: 146 | MBLK:   0 |
WEAK: pearl
IMMUNE: mute, vanish
AUTO: stop
OTHER: humanoid, undead
SPECIAL "Plot Sweet": damage + near death
RAGE: Battle, Plot Sweet
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Battle, Plot Sweet
STEAL: Tonic, Leather Hat
DROPS: Echo Screen
MORPH (3%): Beads, Fixed Dice, Hyper Wrist, Sneak Ring
These rude flowers inflict Berserk and make the fights take longer while everyone auto attacks. They couldn't even call themselves a seed! :argh:

code:
Tiena (Level 12)
| HP: 500 | ATK:   11 | SPD:   37 |
| MP:  11 | DEF:  105 | HIT:  117 |
| XP:   0 | MPOW:  12 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:  83 | MDEF: 157 | MBLK:   0 |
IMMUNE: berserk, blind, imp, mute, petrify, poison, sleep, zombie
AUTO: seizure
SPECIAL "Card Rise": blind
RAGE: Battle, Card Rise
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Card Rise, Card Rise
STEAL: LeatherArmor, Tonic
DROPS: Hair Band
MORPH (50%): BehemothSuit, Blizzard, Chain Saw, Marvel Shoes
Here's what you get if you screw up the Narshe Defense System. Decent amount of HP and Blind is obnoxious. Check out those gnarly teeth though! I kill them and don't intentionally set off the system again.

Arvis, we're home!

Alright you know the rules in this house, everyone strip down.

Bit of a short update. The next one will also be kinda short. I want the Kefka at Narshe fight to be the end of an update but it would definitely be too short with just that section. Next time will be Celes/Locke and we'll fight a clown!

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 20, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Have there been any major 'gently caress you' moments thus far?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

Have there been any major 'gently caress you' moments thus far?

Besides those jerkoffs that cast Blizzard, not yet. The really hard and frustrating boss fights are later on. I could probably release an uncut video of all the attempts at certain bosses and it would be over an hour.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You can't get into the Beginner's Hall in the World of Balance. There's a reason; it'll be a long while before we can get in there and show it off.

Really, eh? My seed let me in, but I picked and chose different options than you, and I have a very good guess which option causes that. And I'm perfectly fine with that... assuming I ever finish it, my team so far is just... meh.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

FeyerbrandX posted:

Really, eh? My seed let me in, but I picked and chose different options than you, and I have a very good guess which option causes that. And I'm perfectly fine with that... assuming I ever finish it, my team so far is just... meh.

The answer lies within the ROM creation picture in the OP. If anyone wants to spoiler their guess as to why the room is closed and the reasoning for it, go ahead. You won't get a prize besides maybe a firm handshake at Gencon if you go.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
The only option I can see that could conceivably need to block it off is randomize final dungeon, being the only one that would affect the map itself. Meaning most likely they're using the beginner hall data to add more space/content to the final dungeon via a door or teleport?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Welp. I just generated a new seed and my Gau has a Battle/Ultima combo command. :stare: This is gonna be fun.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Now you just need an esper with a +2 magic power on level up bonus. :ohno:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Jade Rider posted:

Welp. I just generated a new seed and my Gau has a Battle/Ultima combo command. :stare: This is gonna be fun.

You fool! Civilization kicked him out for a reason.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Jade Rider posted:

BATTLE and Ultima?

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Jade Rider posted:

Anyone familiar with the randomizer know anything about the rules for these new commands? I'm curious what the potential pool for them is. I could look through the randomizer source code to find out but as a SW dev in real life I don't want to have to deal with code in my downtime.

Great LP!

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

sudonim posted:

I could look through the randomizer source code to find out but as a SW dev in real life I don't want to have to deal with code in my downtime.

Curiosity overcame my reluctance for more code even after a day of rooting around undocumented C APIs for a Qualcomm-branded Android Bluetooth stack, so I looked through the randomizer git repo. I mean it's python, how bad can it be????

Boy that was a lot of code. Using cloc I counted over 16 thousand lines of python, about 6 thousand being the main randomizer source file itself.

Seems that the randomizer algorithmically pulls the available base skills for randomizatin from the ROM every time it runs. There are a LOT of functions with hardcoded hexidecimal values used to group skills by various criteria (element, all-targetable, etc), which must have taken a lot of painful bookkeeping to put together. Ultimately, there is no explicit list of skills used for randomizer fodder, and we won't get one unless one of us modifies the source to produce one (unless I missed something, entirely possible).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The only mini update I have now lists the skills in the game that you can't normally get. Everything else is fair game, from one use, to double use to "?" which is one to sixteen uses in a row.

CecilBot - Named for the expert on the Discord, this is the bot everyone uses in their Twitch channel to look things up. It can tell you boss stats (assuming you didn't randomize them) as well as what every skill does. The download version contains all the information in regular .txt files. The formatting is a little weird but they're readable.

For example, the list of all the random skills (SPOILERS BEWARE): https://pastebin.com/h3gBdikm. The % listed after each skill is the chance you have of casting a spell or skill that has a good chance of killing or otherwise incapacitating you.

Everything else in the game can be rolled. On the stream earlier I checked the text file after I died and someone had 5xDoom. Then the last seed I did, Ultros used X-zone on Banon. :shepface:

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

For example, the list of all the random skills (SPOILERS BEWARE): https://pastebin.com/h3gBdikm. The % listed after each skill is the chance you have of casting a spell or skill that has a good chance of killing or otherwise incapacitating you.
This is an interesting list. What I'm most curious about, though, is what sort of stuff is fair game for the creation of oddball commands like "FlaPearl" and "3xWater" and the logic used to stitch them together. BUT I get the feeling I'm not gonna find out without a helpful expert or another source code dive.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

sudonim posted:

This is an interesting list. What I'm most curious about, though, is what sort of stuff is fair game for the creation of oddball commands like "FlaPearl" and "3xWater" and the logic used to stitch them together. BUT I get the feeling I'm not gonna find out without a helpful expert or another source code dive.

As far as I'm aware, you can get a combo of any two legal skills and the 3x modifier is also just random chance. If you're looking for a helpful expert, I linked the Discord in the OP. Someone there can probably tell you more if they're available.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

my guess is that they checked the code that runs when x-fight, or x-magic, or the dragon horn are executed, and just replaced whatever part of the code that said (fight)x8, ((ultima)(ultima)), or (jump)[random(1,4)] and just tossed random commands into the parenthesis. Except in the case of the R- commands they bumped up the rng roll from up to 4 to up to 8.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hello friends! Today we're going to rescue a prisoner and beat up a clown.

We start by witnessing WuFei getting comfortable with himself and how he dresses. Shine on, WuFei!

Unfortunately it doesn't last long as I don't get a prompt to keep the clothes on. :sadwave:

I'm surprised they let her keep her cape on while being held prisoner.

Uh..I guess being chained to a wall enables some kind of shape changing ability?

Hey. Hey, everyone. Do you want to break the game even more wide open? All you need to do is have Ragnarok as a regular command!

I'm sure you've noticed the "Morph (%):" entries on most of the monsters before. As I mentioned earlier, those are the four items that are possible to get from using Ragnarok, with the % being the chance of the skill actually going off. Each item has an equal chance to drop if the skill goes off. This can (and will) lead to some very nice items.

R-Miss is..OK. Meteo can do decent damage and if the enemy is vulnerable to the Instant Death/Confusion stuff it can help. Unfortunately it's just more RNG on top of RNG.

code:
Use a random skill with low accuracy.

(4/16 chance each)  Virite
  (3/16 chance each)  Disaster
  (2/16 chance each)  Meteo
  (1/16 chance each)  Blaster, Confusion, Cyclonic, Dread, Schiller, Stone, X-Zone

Virite - Deals Poison-elemental damage and inflicts Poison on all targets. Its Spell Power is 20 and its Hit Rate is 80. Damage is inverted against Undead targets. It is affected by the Silence status.
Disaster - Inflicts Blind, Imp, Doom, Silence, Confuse, and Float to one or all targets. Its Hit Rate is 62, it is vulnerable to Runic, and affected by the Silence status.
Meteo - Deals non-elemental magic damage to all targets. Its Spell Power is 60 and its Hit Rate is 80. It ignores defense and split damage. It is affected by the Silence status.
Blaster - Inflicts Death to one or all targets. Its Hit Rate is 70, but always hits a stopped target and it fails on targets immune to Death. It is vulnerable to Runic and affected by the Silence status.
Confusion (Dummied) - Inflicts Confuse to all targets. Its Hit Rate is 68 and affected by the Silence status.
Cyclonic - Reduces all targets' HP to 1/16 that of their current total. Its Hit Rate is 75, and it fails on targets immune to Death. It is affected by the Silence status.
Dread - Inflicts Petrify to one target. Its Hit Rate is 75 and affected by the Silence status.
Schiller - Inflicts Blind on all targets. Its Hit Rate is 80 and affected by the Silence status.
X-Zone and Stone are a Black Magic and Lore spell, respectively.

code:
MORPH (99%): Sniper Sight, Stout Spear, Tack Star, White Cape
Here is what the Fenrip has, as a reminder. The game tells you what item you will get before you find out if it actually hits.

Since I have a 99% chance of it going off, I snag myself a Stout Spear!

It's not spectacular but just a good upgrade.

Nice little upgrade for anyone that can wear it.

code:
Fla Syl (Level 6)
/--------------------------------\
| HP: 71 | ATK:   21 | SPD:   31 |
| MP: 10 | DEF:  113 | HIT:  106 |
| XP: 54 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 56 | MDEF: 148 | MBLK:   0 |
\--------------------------------/
NULLIFY: bolt;  WEAK: water
IMMUNE: mute
AUTO: regen
SPECIAL "Gulf Land": attack x1.5
RAGE: TekBarrier, Battle
CONTROL: Battle, Gulf Land, Gulf Land, Gulf Land
STEAL: Potion
DROPS: Goggles
MORPH (3%): Bolt Edge, Full Moon, Peace Ring, X-Potion
The Fla Syl (soldier) is new here and with that 3% chance of Ragnarok working I decide just to kill them. The Encrut is a different matter:

code:
MORPH (75%): Air Anchor, Charm Bangle, Dice, Tack Star
All good items!

I pull these from a couple of battles. Fixed Dice are better than Dice but these are still good and give a bonus to Speed. The Charm Bangle is funny; it halves my encounter rate but also gives double XP like the Exp. Egg. Makes grinding that much more unappealing.

I also pick up some vanilla Goggles, a Heavy Shield, MithrilGlove, X-potion, vanilla Hyper Wrist, and some new goodies.

Eventually, someone will get a big damage boost from equipping a Tack Star. The Gold Hairpin is vanilla and that's perfectly fine. Halving MP costs is an amazing get at this stage. Murasame has an extra 15 attack. Gaia Gear is the next big drop; Earth absorb is the key to victory in Permadeath, and overall very nice at this stage. You never know when a monster is going to have Quake or Magnitude 8 even as a death counter.

code:
Dahle (Level 13)
| HP: 327 | ATK:   19 | SPD:   36 |
| MP:  60 | DEF:   80 | HIT:  116 |
| XP:  96 | MPOW:  12 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:  64 | MDEF: 144 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: ice, bolt;  WEAK: earth
SPECIAL "Pod Dance": attack x2.5
RAGE: Warp, Pod Dance
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Pod Dance, Pod Dance
STEAL: Inviz Edge, Kung Fu Suit
MORPH (12%): Cherub Down, Gaia Gear, Thief Glove, Trident

Gazet (Level 13)
| HP: 240 | ATK:    1 | SPD:   38 |
| MP: 142 | DEF:    0 | HIT:  108 |
| XP: 203 | MPOW:   9 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 149 | MDEF: 167 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: fire, bolt, wind;  WEAK: earth, water
IMMUNE: petrify, sleep
SPECIAL "SportClimb": near death
RAGE: Battle, SportClimb
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Escape, SportClimb
STEAL: Thunder Rod, Shuriken
DROPS: Shuriken, Shuriken
MORPH (99%): Assassin, Blizzard Orb, Chocobo Suit, Flail
Dangerous territory! Dahle is a discount evil goblin wizard, Gazet is a dog in armor that looks very uncomfortable. They're not as bad as I expected though; the Dahle even Morphed into that Gaia Gear I got!

code:
TunnelArmr (Level 16)
| HP: 1045 | ATK:   11 | SPD:   50 |
| MP: 1105 | DEF:   32 | HIT:  120 |
| XP:    0 | MPOW:  16 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:  250 | MDEF: 155 | MBLK:   0 |
WEAK: bolt, water
VULNERABLE: float, regen, shell
AUTO: interceptor
SPECIAL "Out Fusion": attack x2
SKILLS: Bolt, Ice, Tek Laser
STEAL: Remedy, Bandana
DROPS: Imp Halberd, Charm Bangle
DRILL, BABY, DRILL

A deadly boss in most BC runs, depending on your RNG. If your Locke/Celes have garbage commands or you don't have a Thunder Rod, your run may very well end here. Tek Laser really hurts but luckily for me, the only thing it does is a regular attack and a MT Ice. If it absorbed or nullified Pearl I would have been in danger.

Final Fantasy IX: Hunter's Chance - This is a good tune and I should really get around to playing 9 some day.

That brings us to this, the defense of Narshe and the Esper held within. Same rules as the Moogle fight at the beginning; waves of monsters slowly make their way up. If any of them touch Banon, that's a game over. Losing a fight isn't a game over, that team just appears on the save point and can fight some more.

My preferred method is to make one shitkicker team, then one OK and one good character in a party, and someone that can potentially hold their own in the last. This is just an insurance policy in case I miss one of the roaming monsters and they make it up to Banon.

The conga line method of defense is underrated.

code:
Hisspos (Level 13)
| HP: 397 | ATK:   26 | SPD:   36 |
| MP:  90 | DEF:   60 | HIT:  121 |
| XP: 157 | MPOW:  12 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 224 | MDEF: 186 | MBLK:   0 |
WEAK: fire
IMMUNE: magitek
AUTO: casting, float
SPECIAL "Icy": damage + condemned
SKILLS: Net
RAGE: Net, Battle
CONTROL: Battle, Icy, Net, Net
STEAL: Ashura
MORPH (99%): Air Anchor, Cure Ring, Mithril Shld, Tao Robe
I'd like to get an Air Anchor but I didn't spend the time with save states to guarantee one.

Cure Ring is acceptable, the Thief Glove is hot garbage. R-Miss isn't great to begin with and replacing it with Morph isn't much better. Pipimi isn't here to do damage, she's here to melt enemies into items.

I also pick these up. Trident is pretty vanilla but the Blizzard Orb has a bonus +5 Magic Power, once I find my berzerker.

code:
Hutur (Level 13)
| HP: 558 | ATK:   62 | SPD:   46 |
| MP: 175 | DEF:  165 | HIT:  104 |
| XP:  99 | MPOW:  11 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 130 | MDEF: 111 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: bolt, wind;  WEAK: water
IMMUNE: berserk, magitek, petrify, reflect, regen, shell
AUTO: morph, near death
SPECIAL "Crush Gold": attack x1.5
RAGE: Imp, Battle
CONTROL: Battle, Crush Gold, Escape, Imp
STEAL: Silk Robe, Plumed Hat
DROPS: Silk Robe
MORPH (99%): AutoCrossbow, Beret, Head Band, Pearl Rod
I love when enemies have the Escape skill, it makes my life easier.

Cherub Down is the other anti-Earth tech that makes PD runs hum. No need to absorb Earth if you can just avoid it! The Mithril Shld is slightly worse than vanilla but the Beret has a wonderful +50% MP rogue effect!

Enough looting, let's meet this dog on the battlefield.

code:
Onega (Level 14)
| HP: 1520 | ATK:   53 | SPD:   47 |
| MP:  191 | DEF:  134 | HIT:  113 |
| XP:  374 | MPOW:  11 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 1105 | MDEF: 160 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: fire, wind, pearl;  WEAK: bolt
IMMUNE: confuse, imp, zombie
SPECIAL "Grav Kitty": attack x3
SKILLS: Imp Song
RAGE: Imp Song, Battle
CONTROL: Battle, Grav Kitty, Grav Kitty, Imp Song
STEAL: Relic Ring, Tincture
DROPS: Tent
MORPH (25%): FakeMustache, Gold Lance, Mithril Vest, X-Potion
We're in for a bit of a slog here. It has decent HP and absorbs Pearl, as well as toting a x3 attack with plenty of power behind it.

Just kidding I turned him into a gag gift instead.

Now're talking. Vulnerability to Control is random as well. Some bosses can be controlled, and anything super dangerous that is vulnerable will no longer be super dangerous. NOW we're going to have an actual battle.

code:
Kefka (Level 18)
| HP: 3672 | ATK:   29 | SPD:   49 |
| MP: 3258 | DEF:   58 | HIT:  127 |
| XP:    0 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:   33 |
| GP:    0 | MDEF: 177 | MBLK:  37 |
NULLIFY: fire, bio
VULNERABLE: float, haste, protect, reflect, regen, shell, slow, stop
SPECIAL "Confusion": attack x1.5
SKILLS: Bolt, Escape, Ice 2, Muddle, Osmose, Slow
STEAL: DiamondArmor, Gold Helmet
DROPS: Gale Hairpin, Sniper Sight
Time to end this forever, Kefka.

Treasure of the Rudras: The Spirit Chaser - Kefka gets his own special music for this fight.

We start by flashing then throwing some snow balls. Kefka is not amused.

Virite has a pretty nice animation, even if it is just a Poison spell.

Mind Blast won't work on Kefka but throwing a bunch of asteroids at him certainly will.

This is Disaster, from Pipimi's R-Miss. None of the things it does will affect him though. Looks neat at least!

Ice 2 kinda hurts but not enough to be worried about yet.

As you can see, Kefka is a coward when faced with actual shitkickers. He drops me a vanilla Sniper Sight.

Go on now, git!

We're back to cutsene territory. Is the Esper OK?

OH GOD HELP

Saber is drawn to the creature. Something primal within them is stirring.

Tales of Phantasia: Biting Cold - Saber can't resist.

Saber approaches the frozen Esper. It feels like the Esper is calling to them..

This may have been a mistake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_XHnTsxWjo

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Shame you didn't get a Chocobo Suit. That'd be pretty fantastic for anyone who could equip it this early. Tao Robe would also be pretty good. Some of this stuff is equipment from quite a bit later in the game.

....I rolled two characters that had "Carbunkle" as a skill. :negative: Although, it ended up being really useful in about two fights, including, specifically, this Kefka one you just beat, where he was able to OHKO anyone available with Ice 2 on my file.

One of my two characters with "Carbunkle" was Banon, who also came equipped with an Imp Halberd. Nothing in the portion of the game I had him could use magic. I forget what his other skills were, but it amounted to him needing to defend every round. I attacked once with him to see what he added for damage, and it was 2. I have never seen 2 damage in this game before. It was truly a moment.