Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i agree with glen, i also thought they would get carter page. lamo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

seems like papadopoulos was an israeli agent. kinda interesting i guess, maybe people knew that

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1119043322490892290

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

glowing-fish posted:

But they ignore the context of what happened, which was that in a country where rich and connected people often avoid justice, Jeffrey Epstein got caught. This is an important point, and only by ignoring the context of what was going on with Epstein, and what his arrest and (hopefully successful) prosecution mean.

lmao are you ever right about anything

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

to paraphrase donald trump, i hope the russians hack and release some poo poo!! cause americans sure aren't getting to the bottom of this

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Volkerball posted:

Obviously 34 wasn't enough so how many arrests/guilty pleas does it take for an investigation to not "fall through?" 50? 100? Sounds like this investigation is going to have to reap some serious fruit to meet up to your high standards of legitimacy.

are you satisfied? cause if you're satisfied i'm satisfied. lets not talk about it again! we dont even have to talk about the difference between indictments and arrests or whatever, thats just going to be tedious.

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 11, 2019

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

if he killed himself, well, the state let him do it. so why'd they let him do it

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Helsing posted:

the entire scandal happened in the shadow of a war between various forms of media trying to shape the future of their industry.

thats a good way of putting it

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

he's really good at getting people to talk about him. in this case that take is just terrible though, one of the worst tweets ive ever seen

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

it's a complete non sequitur response to people protesting fash in their communities though. it really comes off like he has no idea what he's talking about

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

porfiria posted:

Based on listening to Greenwald a little bit recently, he's talked about how Bolsanaro won in Brazil because people (including many of Greenwald's own gay/poor/brown friends) were so disillusioned by the reigning neoliberal order that in their desperation they turned to the one guy who was promising Change.

I can't speak to how accurate that is for the Brazilian situation, but I think it's pretty clear he's extending that view to the USA--that the Nazi Chuds are just the inevitable, and perhaps genuinely desperate and downtrodden, fruit of the evil soil of neoliberalism. I think that's a pretty blinkered view in a lot of ways; for the most part Trump's people are the same old middle class GOP assholes who voted for Romney and Bush. And I wouldn't call those racist scumbags the "least powerful" constituency; they're all part of the same system that's, you know, putting people in concentration camps.

In any event I can hardly blame someone for getting more worked up over the dudes talking about wanting to murder them than Google having contracts with the DOD or whatever the gently caress Glenn's on about. Greenwald's major problem from what I can tell is he has no real broader political philosophy so he just kind of goes off on his particular bugbears; those bugbears are valid targets but his dumb rear end contrarianism causes him to then dismiss anything he's not currently mad at.

yeah dont get me wrong i totally understand the connection between usa imperialism and fascism both global and domestic, its the rest of the tweet and the context of it that bothers me

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

that's over-instrumentalizing him imo

he's not so important or heroic that he's above reproach for saying stupid poo poo

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i agree with him most of the time, it just sucks that you can't say he said something stupid without having to like, discuss imperialism in the abstract a bunch. i know all that poo poo already

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

so is this a coup

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

lol i definitely thought the epstein thing was gonna have some long term consequences for a lot of things, including lets say, bill clinton's legacy. im such a rube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

incidentally times sure have changed around here though. i think even this forum agrees bill clinton is a likely rapist but back in the day I got proped in CSPAM! for trying to discuss it