Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I mentioned this when it came up in the primary thread, but while this points to "bot-like activity", it doesn't actually say anything about who was running the bots. All it does is list which tweets got boosted - and every single one of them took off after being tweeted or retweeted by a black pro-Trump conservative celebrity figure who had close ties to the GOP. Russians aren't the only ones who know how to use bots to pump up tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

Was Epstein murdered by Hillary Clinton?

No.

I'm already seeing Twitter hot takes unironically saying Russia did it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Owling Howl posted:

Man accostumed to billionaire lifestyle imprisoned on charges of pedophilia, rape and sex trafficking reported to be in good spirits.

It's not like it was his first time going to jail for trafficking underage girls. And prison wasn't exactly hell for him the last time around, with the authorities bending over backward to give him every kind of special treatment they could think of.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Moving this out from the primary thread...

MinisterSinister posted:

I think that stems from the supposed connections to Trump's campaign that the Russians had (therefore being associated with Russia is shorthand for being associated with Trump), but it's also because those other influencers you listed have goals in mind that don't involve, y'know, the collapse of the American world order and the suffering of our nation. Israel wants US approval and support so it can keep doing... what it's doing in Palestine, and Saudi Arabia wants US support so that Iran doesn't escalate things with them further. Both nations have self-preservation as their main goal in their political involvement in the US, and that is debatably not as bad as what Russia wants.

Again, it is a fact that Russia interfered in the 2016 elections specifically with the intent of introducing damaging radicalism on both sides of the political spectrum. It doesn't take a genius to guess why. They hope that this increasing radicalism will drive the United States apart and cause us to lose our status as global superpower, creating a power vacuum that Russia can exploit to return to its former glory. I wouldn't be surprised if Putin dreams of a Second American Civil War.

Israel, Saudi Arabia, the Venezeulan opposition, and even China have a lot to lose if America falls apart. The only nations that might gain are Russia, Iran, North Korea, and maybe many Latin American countries. That is why Russian influence is considered worse than the others: their goal is harming America, not protecting themselves.

Well for future reference, if I do use a term like "asset", I am using it to mean this. Basically, "asset" can cover everything from "actual spy" to "useful idiot". So if I say Trump is a Russian asset, I don't literally mean Putin pays him, I just mean he is someone who is possibly being manipulated by/used by Russia or is doing things for their benefit, whether he realizes it or not.

The collapse of the so-called "American world order" will not cause significant suffering to the American people. It might cause significant suffering to American-owned international business interests which have depended on American imperialism to turn other countries into profit centers for US billionaires for more than a century, sure. But the only ill effect that the average American is likely to see from that is whatever trouble is caused as a result of the billionaire interests aggressively lobbying the government to make up for their losses by either utterly destroying the world or utterly destroying American labor law as we know it.

Putin doesn't need the US to fall apart, he just needs the US to stop trying to extend its sphere of influence right up to Russia's borders and beyond. Russia has little interest in utterly destroying the US, it just wants the US to be too tied up in domestic matters or isolationism to bother with political meddling in places that are far closer to Russian borders than to American borders. Harming the American empire is not the same as harming Americans. And frankly, if the American Empire literally collapses simply because Russia bought five or six digits worth of Facebook ads and leaked some emails, then we were clearly on the brink of destroying ourselves regardless of that tiny Russian contribution.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Helsing posted:

You're imagining that George "heck'uva job Brownie" Walker Bush would have responded to this crisis? For now I won't even bother arguing with you on that highly dubious assumption. Let us just consider some of the things Bush actually did. Even a conservative estimate of Bush's Iraq war adventure would be that hundreds of thousands of people died as a direct result of his decision to go to war. We can add to that the many millions of additional deaths from the political, social and economic dislocation and additional conflicts the invasion spawned. The entire region is still suffering from Bush's 2003 decision, and that is only one of Bush's foreign policy adventures.

Don't forget Hurricane Katrina, the previous poster child for bungled federal disaster response, run by a FEMA which had been stacked by incompetent political cronies and micromanaged by Dick Cheney.