Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Helsing posted:

It's particularly grating because there is an extremely simply solution to this problem: all elections should be done on paper ballots, hand counted in public view, with registered scrutineers and other observers present, and all ballots physically preserved for the event of a recount. Provided you have a workable civil society, it's a more or less unhackable system (at a larger scale, though obviously individual ballot boxes can be stuffed if your civil society is sufficiently corrupt or dysfunctional) with centuries of best practices built in and yet amidst all the concern trolling about Russian election hacking I've yet to see a single major elite media figure or politician even mention that issue let alone advocate for it. Which really ought to tell you that the concern here isn't that Russians are hacking election machines and changing voting outcomes (though I guarantee you the editor was well aware that many people would read the headline and interpret it htat way, and that indeed that false impression was almost certainly a feature and not a bug) is not particularly genuine. As a general rule of thumb when people only want to talk about the problem and won't even mention the obvious solution that ought to be a red flag that their real agenda is something else.

I mean, Democrats are at least trying to get election security laws passed, even if they aren't using your specific proposal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottHech/status/1160180926334324737

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1160214214004367365

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/btboxbaum/status/1160311163537776640

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/CZEdwards/status/1160297568837832704

You’ll notice I’ve been posting a lot of tweets without my own commentary; that’s because I don’t know what to think at the moment. This thread makes some important points, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Owling Howl posted:

Man accostumed to billionaire lifestyle imprisoned on charges of pedophilia, rape and sex trafficking reported to be in good spirits.

Yeah, under the circumstances it’s probably more evidence in favor of him being suicidal than against it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/nyregion/jeffrey-epstein-jail-officers.html

This is just incompetent enough to be plausible.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Basically she's an intelligence asset and, most likely, so is the reporter involved.

Looking very likely that the CIA or Mossad killed Epstein. Motives say CIA, MO says Mossad.

Not sure if this is a joke or not.

Acosta's claim that Epstein "belonged to intelligence" strikes me as an rear end-covering lie. Given the sheer weirdness of the case, I suppose I could buy a US intelligence agency actually being involved somehow. But Mossad?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

They were all involved.

Robert Maxwell was literally a Mossad super-spy.

Just looked him up, and wow:

Wikipedia posted:

A hint of Maxwell's service to the Israeli state was provided by John Loftus and Mark Aarons, who described Maxwell's contacts with Czechoslovak Communist leaders in 1948 as crucial to the Czechoslovak decision to arm Israel in the 1948 Arab–Israeli War. Czechoslovak military assistance was both unique and crucial for the fledgling state as it battled for its existence. It was Maxwell's covert help in smuggling aircraft parts into Israel that led to the country having air superiority during their 1948 War of Independence.

The British Foreign Office suspected that Maxwell was a secret agent of a foreign government, possibly a double agent or a triple agent, and "a thoroughly bad character and almost certainly financed by Russia." He had known links to the British Secret Intelligence Service (MI6), to the KGB, and to the Israeli intelligence service Mossad.

Crazier and crazier.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zas posted:

lol i definitely thought the epstein thing was gonna have some long term consequences for a lot of things, including lets say, bill clinton's legacy. im such a rube

Don’t count long term consequences out yet; the FBI has just started an investigation into Prince Andrew, along with all the other ongoing Epstein-related investigations and court cases. Of course, we can’t ignore the possibility of basically all the rich/famous people involved getting off scot-free either. It’s too early to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Helsing posted:

There are the Miami Herald articles by Julie Brown which arguably did the most to push Epstein into the public eye but they are fairly narrowly focused. There are various profiles of Epstein from before his arrest but a number of authors like Vicki Ward have come forward and said that their reporting was heavily censored or suppressed. Most of the specific details such as the available flight logs, court scans of documents like the indictment of his jail guards, reports about screaming in his cell, reports about his first 'suicide attempt', reports that the cameras watching his cell block were broken, etc. all mostly just came out in the NYT, Wapo, etc. There are websites out there that aggregate those daily stories but I'm not aware of anyone who has actually tried to put it all together into a coherent narrative, and for the most part there hasn't been any follow up on the initial reports.

As it stands quite a bit of the reporting on Epstein has actually originated with the right wing press. The Daily Mail and the New York Post have seemingly been among the most proactive investigators of this story, take that how you will.

The short answer would be no, there's no single reliable and comprehensive source and everyone reporting on it seems to have their own agenda whether they're saying he killed himself or was murdered.

Agreed that there’s no single article from a reliable source that explains the whole thing comprehensively. This article covers several of the specific points that The Scientist asked about, though: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/jeffrey-epstein-lolita-express-bill-clinton-flight-logs-1448367%3famp=1

Edit: Specifically: Yes, Clinton flew on the Lolita Express, although the press hadn't named it the Lolita Express yet. Yes, Trump was buddies with Epstein, saying in 2002, “I’ve known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy. He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it — Jeffrey enjoys his social life.” And yes, there are flight logs, available here: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1507315-epstein-flight-manifests.html

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 11, 2020