Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
Helsing, can you give an example of particularly bad reporting in this regard (preferably mainstream, for example a Rachel Maddow piece, and maybe not older than a year)? This is an honest request, I would like to have something to compare to what will eventually be publicly known to callibrate my worldview so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
Helsing, Ytlaya, do you agree with Taibbi's and Greenwald's recent takes on Barr and the Mueller report? In particular the framing and not so much whether what they say is technically correct in some narrow sense.

Also thank you both for your replies before. They have been helpful and I will come back to them once I am more free.

[EDIT]: The opinion piece you quoted above is bonkers Helsing, but that was your point right?

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
Given that some of the most incriminating information concerning Russian involvement comes from Durch sources, I don't really buy that it's all just a conspiracy driven by American warmongers. Yes, the sources are anonymous iirc but something like this being made up completely strikes me as unlikely.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

Mercrom posted:

"There is some truth to it" is not a valid defense though. If Israeli conspiracies got the same treatment as Russian conspiracies it would actually be worse than the status quo.
I am not sure I get what you are wanting to say (valid defense of what? what do you mean by status quo in this instance? what Israeli conspiracies?) but "there is some truth to it" in this case means it is very likely that Russian groups hacked the emails and these groups were very likely connected to state intelligence agencies.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

The way you phrase this is kind of misleading, since, as far as I'm aware, the statement by Dutch sources is literally the only source outside of US intelligence claims. I'm inclined to think it is likely that the IRA was working with the Russian government, but there isn't actually any hard evidence of this - just pretty persuasive circumstantial evidence. And it's not like the Dutch are friendly with Russia, so that evidence isn't exactly unassailable.

And the most noteworthy part of this, in my opinion, is that these claims existed (and were widely believed/trusted) for many months prior to the Dutch source. During this time there wasn't any evidence outside of the claims of US intelligence agencies. This willingness on the part of many liberals to completely blindly trust the claims of US intelligence agencies is far more concerning to me than anything Russia may have done. And, even now, it is very strange and concerning to see people attacking others for expressing skepticism towards things that still have no actual direct evidence supporting them.

Basically, the way the media and public have dealt with this story is far more alarming to me than the story itself.
I am not sure why you think it's misleading. I am not implying that there are other sources outside of US based security companies and intelligence agencies. In these matters that there even is another source is almost a miracle. Normally there would be no way to get any kind of independent confirmation. Thus to construct your reality, you need some kind of way to make do with what you have (and let me point out that the standard of being "unassailable" is silly and being assailable because of a possible agenda of the Dutch state against Russia due to them not being "friendly" is an extremely shoddy analysis).

Let me give you a couple of questions that I believe are useful when deciding on the veracity of claims by intelligence agencies:
1. Is there any outside pressure on the agencies? (This was obvious for the Iraq war. Not apparent in this case, Obama seemed hands-off, well and Trump...)
2. Why would the intelligence agencies lie about this? (Connected to 1. in the Iraq war. Incredibly vague in this case. Because they hate Russia? Because they want war? Pure jingoism?)
3. Is there some effort to use this for something concrete? (Connected to 1. and 2., obvious in the Iraq case, completely unclear here.)
4. How are the reactions in other countries? (This is the big one Americans tend to forget about the Iraq war. Countries like Germany and France had a very critical overall reaction in the run-up to the war. No major dissent (by allies) in this case.)
5. Does whatever is claimed itself make sense? (Can be debated for the Iraq war, but generally yes in this case.)

There is a difference between blindly trusting and making reasonable conclusions in situations of imperfect information (that you update when necessary). Now, it is perfectly possible that many "liberals" did not reach a conclusion in a reasonable way but rather through blind trust in authority or hatred of Russia or whatever and you are right to be worried about this (see the Iraq war). However, as far as I am concerned, it was possible to reasonably believe that Russia was behind this relatively early and has since then only become more reasonable. We will likely disagree on this and that is fine.

One last point, the agnostic position of simply not believing anything is not neutral. If Russia was indeed behind this, such a viewpoint would likely play directly into their hand. Additionally, I think you find yourself in a situation where even if the predictions of people you aggressively doubted turn out to be true, you still think they were wrong for making the prediction at the time. This can be correct but if you have been wrong for a couple of times in this way (say for example Assads poison gas, Skripal, MH17 and so on) you need the flexibility to reevaluate your premises.