Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mnoba posted:

Just the fact that texts between two of the main investigators admit "there is no big" and "my gut says there is nothing" and that Mueller didn't make Trump sit down should have been enough for most sane people.

The case was always about obstruction most likely, from early 2017 on, so you try dragging Trump's kids into it or you stage elaborate predawn raids on acquaintances with media ready hoping to set him off.

I mean, the biggest tell was Pelosi weeks ago dropping off impeachment out of nowhere lmao.

Sorry to inform you that there are no "tells" giving you secret insight

everyone is just incompetent and clueless or obsessed with political spin. It's not deeper than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

tylersayten posted:

The right-wing media machine in this country has been pushing white nationalism into the Republican Party since the Civil Rights Movement in the 60s. They dominate the radio and TV with Fox, not to mention the explicit fascism produced by BreitBart News since 2007. Now they’re all over loving social media and YouTube. Blaming all this on Russia instead of what is really is: good ol’ homegrown American fascism enabled on a bipartisan basis, is much more convenient to literally only the media, military, and political establishments, primarily for embarrassment and survival reasons. It’s almost like Democrats lose when they can’t even look the Republican Party in the eye and call them what they are. In this case, fascists running on explicit white nationalism.

But it’s originating from Russia -liberals

why not both.gif

tankies

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

You are using the logic of "if X made a non-zero contribution to something, you must assume that the contribution was meaningful and had some non-negligible effect." This is not even remotely logical (especially when there's a very clear and obvious explanation for the existence of right-wing politics in the US that doesn't require Russian involvement). The burden of proof is on you and others to prove the significance of Russia's efforts.

I have read the entire thread. There is no possible evidence that would convince some of the posters in this thread of anything, because it has become an article of faith that acknowledging anything about Russian involvement is a tacit defense of Hillary Clinton's campaign, the mainstream media, and anything else that these posters hate even more than they hate Trump.

And I've seen at least one person catch a temp ban for trying to do it. So no thanks.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

GoluboiOgon posted:

now russiagate has rotted liberal brains so badly that they cheer on as the arms control work of decades is thrown out the window.

I'll bite. Exactly which "liberals" have applauded Trump's pull-out of the INF treaty?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

GoluboiOgon posted:

i was actually talking to one of people involved in negotiating the new START treaty a few weeks ago (they know a family member tangentially). i was kind of dismayed at how thoroughly they believed in the russiagate stuff, and how little they cared about the US backing out of the IMF treaty.

here's a quote from a former democratic candidate CNN interviewed in their story about the withdrawl:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/02/politics/nuclear-treaty-inf-us-withdraws-russia/index.html

perhaps 'applauded' was too strong, but a lot of the liberal press adopted this tone of 'dangerous, but necessary for national security.'

General Wesley loving Clark? That's all you go? The guy who said "I would have been a Republican if Karl Rove had returned my phone calls" Wesley Clarke?

And no, the liberal press did not "adopt a tone of 'dangerous, but necessary for national security." I've done some googling, and as far as I can tell that is entirely in your imagination.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

GoluboiOgon posted:

this is from the council for foreign relations magazine. pretty representative organ of the liberal national security people. if you're saying that those are the worst wing of the democratic party, then yes, but they still have a lot of influence.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/china/2019-08-29/good-riddance-inf-treaty

"Exiting the INF Treaty is no panacea, but it opens much-needed possibilities for Washington to reset the military balance with Beijing in its favor. Washington should use this opportunity to develop and deploy its own missiles to counter the Chinese threat—or risk being steamrolled in a future confrontation."

Andrew Erickson is not a liberal and he is not the liberal press. He is a China hawk who works for the Naval War College. And the Council on Foreign Relations magazine posts articles across the range - I found quite a few bemoaning the demise of the INF treaty.

It appears that your definition of "the liberal press" is really "two conservatives that I found after googling for a long time." Maybe you can point us to a liberal Heritage Foundation article next.

And your underlying claim that "now russiagate has rotted liberal brains so badly that they cheer on as the arms control work of decades is thrown out the window" is complete nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Just like everyone else in DnD, I don't want to play Helsing games anymore. There's a good reason this thread is dead as a doornail - discussing anything with you is pointless.

I asked someone else a question about something he said, and his inability to support his claim has become pretty apparent.