Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

SickZip posted:

The other way around. There were posters being paid to push products here over a decade ago. You're nuts if you think some of the leading posters arent social media experts working for pay

GWS owns for this because posters will be like "what's a good blender for making smoothies or whatever?" and Certain Individuals drop a referral link to a commercial vitamix and rack up that store credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Has pillowpants posted at all since the report has been published? Or glowing fish? It's very important for my purposes which is pointing to my two year old posts predicting this outcome with 100% accuracy and saying "i told you so"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Booourns posted:

People can focus on both of those things

No they can't, that's not what "focus" means

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Mnoba posted:

our system of justice is pretty simple it's either guilty or not guilty, since they didn't recommend any prosecution that makes him not guilty

in order to be found "not guilty" a charge must first be levied in court.

this poo poo didn't even get THAT far. it was an investigation that found nothing with enough meat to pursue beyond "you made cops' jobs harder to do"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I mean its a very strange fixation you have on the formulation "not guilty" as a self-contained shibboleth when it is in fact a phrase that has a context and meaning. Ultimately we're agreeing, its just odd to wave around "not guilty" when there was no constructed case to be guilty of. Words mean things: "focus" has a meaning where you focus upon an object to the exclusion of others, and "not guilty" has a meaning where an investigation determines you are to be accused of wrongdoing and in the subsequent trial you are exonerated. This is not a trivial difference, IMO.

For instance, if "being a fuckup failchild" were a crime a lot of people whose allegiances were spread across both parties would be going to jail, and the public would generally celebrate. But it's not. And to the degree that is the observable case I reckon the end-goal of putative ~~Russian Interference~~ was generally exactly this, that our corrupt system be deployed against itself in ways that our media is structurally unable to describe and thus the public is unable to reckon with except in limited venues like D&D.

which brings me again to: have glowing fish, pillowpants, and i'm sure jeffersonclay has an alt by now, posted lately. where are they. show yourselves you loving cowards.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 21, 2019

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
*holds up egg* This is your brain.

BrandorKP posted:

These symbols are vague and that is the space where the fight for defining them is. Let's get specfic, a good example is freedom: There is freedom in the libertarian sense. Freedom in the "liberal" but not libertarian sense. Freedom in the Christian sense. Freedom to vs freedom from. The symbol has all these possible meanings. Some of these meaning are "fundamentally incompatible with a decent and fair society" some are not. The question is which do we try to make real with the actions of our lives.

Or to go: well gently caress this freedom thing I'm not going to participate in that symbol. Then the problem there is we just end up playing the same game with a different set of symbols.
It's not about preserving, it's about interpretation and then the living of the interpretation. Doing those things then changes other people!

I've written about in the climate thread but in my field there are multiple models of the same thing for different audiences. It's not this class understands and this one doesn't. It's this model is in this language and only people who speak that language understand that model. It must be translated. And the communication must flow in both directions, it has to be a conversation. Without the conversation you get one side doing what your saying here and the other side with real complaints being ignored and rightly becoming increasingly angry.

The absence of that conversation is one of the things that allows "conspiracy theories" and harmful cult like myths to propogate.

*smashes frying pan on egg* This is your brain without materialist dialectics.

Any questions?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Brandor, I really don't want to put your back up here, but: What if this outcome was entirely predictable many years ago not through hermeneutic exegesis of hitherto common nouns, but actually looking at material relations and making empirical observations upon them?

What if--and I truly don't mean to sound insane here--what if some people on a forum were trying to tell you about this process *for literal years, now?*

Your point about language is good! it's also kinda quaint in the year 2019 though; Chomsky is whom Chomsky is mostly on the basis of originally talking about those linguistic models, and the rest is... well... historical materialism. Because when you start talking about abstracts in a serious way other than spinning your wheels, you start grinding into observable realities which can be observed, measured, and yes: predicted to within a confidence interval.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG1Ima2FiMM
https://twitter.com/MollyWolly8/status/1028687465891147776

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 28, 2019

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

absolutely, 100% unironically (not implying you're being ironic)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

BrandorKP posted:

It's a mistake to not recognize that I am also talking about something that is material. Let's use the freedom example. In the fourties and fifties you have Birchers and Libertarians giving talks in lovely hotel convention spaces. Then on the radio. They intersect with and write for the segregationists (and religious right)and later the southern strategy republicans. Eventually people like Roger Ailes come out of this and shape television networks. Others like the Kochs also start those think tanks, university programs, and social programs. On the other side freedom is very much materially present in the civil rights movement (are we not yet free?) and similiar real physical things happen. I'm real. You're real. We are having a conversation about how we live our lives. That conversation isn't just a hermeneutic exegesis of hitherto common nouns. It's about material relations. It's an observable phenomena. But it hasn't been easily measurable. That creates a particular type of error. An example is the behaviorists not talking about love because it wasn't easily measurable. Ignoring the observable but hard to measure can be grave error with serious consequences.

But right now it's becoming measurable and even experimentable on.

Though I appreciate you've got poo poo to do IRL other than fall into a hole full of depressing research into ultimately useless yet accurate facts it would hearten me somewhat in this admittedly narrow context if you advanced beyond rhetoric and displayed some enthusiasm for putting this purported attitude into practice. It wastes a few brain cycles as you'll inevitably process a regrettable Zizek Phase, but on the upside you won't freak out over the compromise of republican democracy just because the shabbiest and most halfassed entries into the new griftmarkets happen to be another overseas franchise.

quote:

At the end of the day where am I sitting? Usually (and currently) down on the waterfront with labor on the piers and on the ships. I have made my choice and I would be somewhere else if I believed something else.

America is starving to death on "belief." Do. IMHO.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

fast cars loose anus posted:

I will never stop laughing if the end result of the Russia nonsense is people going "don't vote for Bernie he's Putin's candidate!"

This was always going to be the end result of the Russia nonsense.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
hot take: trump and obama are janus faces of the same persona, in that people ascribe grand ideologies to folk who're in actual material fact abject cowards terrified to admit they don't really know why they even wanted this job in the first place

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
proposed conspiracy: its actually really simple to determine that the USA is crusin' for a brusin' with uninflected data but everyone reading that data is stupid as gently caress and--at best--reading chat threads on discussion forums to tell them their opinions so they get juxtapositions like this

and are earnestly confused why folk want to exfoliate democrats with a cheese grater and trepanate conservatives with a flagpole.

but this does not happen because stories as simple as this paradoxically do not make for good clickbait outside insular forums so instead we get to re-litigate how obama was nominally and categorically worse than trump on immigration until we all loving die by climate.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
YOu really think the FBI would do that? Just go out in the world and tell lies?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

mountaincat posted:

Later, the FBI re-examined the evidence or gathered new evidence and determined no crime had occurred. This explains why the suicide letter did not mention it.

aka The Simplest Explanation lmao

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
to be clear: the FBI was absolutely digging for dirt and imploring MLK to kill himself before he was killed by a white nationalist (fascinating coincidence, that)

but this

mountaincat posted:

If the FBI had real evidence of a rape, they would have mentioned it in the suicide letter.
If the FBI had fake evidence, they would not have mentioned it because it would have weakened the credibility of the letter.
The FBI did not mention any form of sexual assault in the suicide letter. This suggests any evidence they might have had was fake.

is dumb as hell.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
if someone created a new political party called The International Association for the Advancement of Pussy Eaters it'd win in all 50 states, and the territories. how far we've cum.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The FBI had sockpuppets posting on 8chan

The hashed ID on one of their accounts was 8f812

It spent most of its time trying to get 8channers riled up about motherfucking russiagate

it did not work.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 17, 2019

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Somfin posted:

Yeah the report is being suppressed and concealed for no reason

It's free to read online yet still became a bestselling book. There are redactions, and the FBI is the agency who did them.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

BrandorKP posted:

Seperate from that discussion, what's the narrative devolping in the news. I haven't really been able to read or listen today, other than the one article this morning that came from. Cause what happens now will probably define the way the story is perceived.

People pretty much saw what they wanted to see, or at least as much as they could with the Republican panel saying whatever they drat well felt like and Mueller saying "read the report" like a mantra every time he was prompted for a sound bite. Pelosi is not even actively whipping the caucus anymore, saying she won't support impeachment for all the old reasons but if members need to then at some point they're going to have to go back to their districts and face the public and actually try to win an election next year.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Somfin posted:

It's just awful convenient to be able to say "you can't cite him, because he's inherently and completely untrustworthy" and also say "it must be true, because the inherently and completely untrustworthy guy said it."

The untrustworthy guy isn't saying it.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Somfin posted:

I'm mostly interested in it because Trump decided to swing the big hammer and prevent it from being released.

IT IS FREE FOR DOWNLOAD AND STILL THE BESTSELLING NONFICTION BOOK OF 2019

Somfin posted:

And you'll recall I'm mostly bringing this up because someone decided to mock me for saying it was suppressed when this is about as explicit as suppression gets.

NO, SUPPRESSION GETS A LOT MORE EXPLICIT THAN THIS. OFTEN SUPPRESSION ACTUALLY SUPPRESSES, TOO.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Somfin posted:

The unredacted version. Thought that would be clear from context, but, y'know. Whatever. Have fun with the thread.

The special counsel signed off on the drat redactions! They've enumerated the four general categories of redaction! Its not like they found the loving crimes and then hid the crimes so the public wouldn't get mad!

I swear to god like NYT op-editors claim someone being chippy on twitter makes them nazis, seeing the incredible bullshit that masquerades as thought in the liberal mind is giving me that push into a full on Maoism with American characteristics. I'm running out of solutions that aren't struggle sessions and reeducation through labor.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Two of the categories are sentences relating to ongoing investigation, and grand jury proceedings. Such as: the poo poo Chelsea Manning is still being jailed for, indefinitely, without trial. Her fines are up to $1000 a day behind this boomer microwaved cold war monkeyshow.

We're 17 House turncoats away from Ted Cruz sailing a bill that outright criminalizes dissent through congress and the SCOTUS and voter suppression, intraparty quashing of grassroots candidates, and gerrymandering are tacitly expected where they are not outright the law of the land thanks to court precedents. Russia threw up some incredibly low effort spam and phished a few passwords but the actual structural threats to democracy--much like our invariably nazi-adjacent mass shooters--are entirely domestic.

You don't want thought. You don't give a gently caress about struggle. Yall don't even much care for politics as a study that I can discern. I am mystified what that kind of person even gets out of a forum like this.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

tylersayten posted:

The sad but amusing part is how we warned liberals that the republicans (who have been embracing neofascism openly for three years now)

Are you a zoomer or do you seriously not remember what it was like after 9-11?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Definitely want to chat up the narcissistic and dissociated nutcase who talks about politics like an MMO and doesn't even have the courage to autoban.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the house. the senate. the base. he needed to lose two for anything to come of this.

1.did he lose the senate, and did he lose his base.
2. did anything come of it.

or would you prefer to whine about how people who told you you were full of poo poo probably liked the khmer rouge.

https://twitter.com/HenryKrinkIe/status/1140626314585657344

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
This is probably the best place for Epstein Brain. Pizzagate was not true, but it was real.

https://twitter.com/ColdCasePat/status/1159480997852983296

https://twitter.com/ColdCasePat/status/1159481022406365185

that account is some qanon poo poo, and you're not seriously telling me trump isn't also a kid fiddler considering his epstein ties, but mark epstein is definitely a relation who is definitely running a nonprofit which is definitely chaired by a who's-who of the DNC.

If this all actually gets investigated it's going to be a UK style slow reveal that the entire political class are pedophiles covering for each other.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

an investigation into trump and epstein clearing trump of sex crimes but making bill clinton perp walk for kid loving would be the quintessence of DemocratTM energy

VitalSigns posted:

P sure it's not "guilt by association" if you know the guy is a predator and suck up to him anyway. That's just you elevating a predator.

To be clear: Mark Epstein's association is that he owns one of the penthouses where his brother received incoming slaves while chairing a shockingly geographically vague childrens' services NGO of no particular specialization beyond operating in remote areas, which was named after a Lewis Carroll reference. Mark Epstein also owns a lot of property some of which I might assume are entirely free of sexual servitude. None of this proves anything. There's a lot of proximity, but there's no basis for a solid conclusion and its true we should restrain ourselves from overstating the case. Stop me if you've heard this one before.

quote:

But now. Right now. With depositions coming out today showing that Eyes Wide Shut: Lolita Edition has reached the highest echelons of power around the world for DECADES.

https://twitter.com/JeffreyGuterman/status/1159898512366166016

ONLY NOW. Do the very same amateur Serious Russia Investigators reassert (rightly!) the burden of proof. I guess actual IRL child slavery just isn't as romantic and exciting as sugarplum dreams of kompromat and the Most Electable Candidate Ever being cheated out of her legacy by the perfidious Slavic Conspired Active Measure that really wasn't.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
now now, perhaps Mark is uniquely incurious as to what his brother's up to and there could be any possible number of explanations for two brothers who can pick and choose anywhere in NYC to house slaves for one of them to settle on literally 66th street hahahaha im fuckin' dying here.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 10, 2019

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Oh man and Kushner's big swingin' investment is 666 fifth ave. THE PIECES ALL FIT; ITS JUST SATAN ALL THE WAY DOWN

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

What am I supposed to get out of this? It’s just straight up guilt by association conspiracy nonsense.

A sense of shame over how now that the Russiagate hobby horse has completely fallen through in the precise ways that skeptics have been hollering about for years you have entirely palate-swapped your discourse to Reasoned Skepticism about a slave trade that pretty much everyone at every level was aware of and abided, even though a lot of them are Democrats, and even though unlike the Mueller probe this looks like its seriously going places.

I know I won't get you into any garment rending repentance but a reasonable observer can look at you and say "hrm, this guy appears to be full of poo poo" and that contents me because D&D has never really been about the participants.

Here's a graphic description of matt groening's feet as garnered by a sex slave, i hope it burns your eyes out :waycool:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

what, there's a 200 unit apartment building that Mark's real estate company owns. Jeffrey leased a poo poo ton of units in that building that mixed legit usage with underaged sex trafficking claiming it was for modeling.

yeah man sometimes random poo poo "just happens" between brothers as they say btw you should read these depositions because "modeling" and "massage" was code for loving and literally everyone from the epsteins to ehud barak to the creator of the simpsons knew it and if you're looking for receipts then here, here is literally receipts when orders are accepted by phone.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

Pizza-gate is “real”->the Russian interference story was a hoax->Bernie would have won.

jesus, you are truly a diseased individual. Okay, so

1. No.

2. Where the gently caress was this skepticism for the last three years lmfao like for serious, do you require a written admission of Having Done Crimes from literally all parties involved? Because we actually have something very much like that, because these people were not expecting to have to hide their actions. If this same standard of proof was applied agnostically we could've saved a lot of loving time these last couple years! Much like Trump's primary defense to a collusion accusation was that neither him nor anyone in his employ had the cognitive capacity to collude with foreign powers, so too will a lot of democratic bundlers now have to claim they were just so inept and aloof and out of the social loop they were not aware of connections that reporters would casually joke about in archived, clearnet emails.

3. For literal years--actual, factual years--we could not discuss allegations of possible Russian interference in the Democratic primary without risking accusations of dreaded "Primary chat". We could not talk about elections-as-such but only Russian-interference-as-such because clearly the proof of that was overwhelming--its lack of consequence notwithstanding--that it was the truly gruesome stain on what was otherwise a pristine process. So now we're out of it. We're into 2020 chat now, and now that evidence is coming out about a ring of sexual slavery which implicates former and current presidents, PMs, aristocrats, entertainment personalities, people at the highest rungs of power on the left and the right in the USA, Spain, the UK, Israel, and on and on and on and on, NOW YOU REALLY WANNA GO BACK TO 2016. Now. Of all times! You're bursting at the seams to talk about the 2016 primaries right now!

Man... that's.... really *convenient!*

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Condiv posted:

also, is "jeffrey epstein scandal == pizzagate" an actual thing to you ogmius? do you think the women coming forward claiming they were sex slaves are lying?

honestly, the only people who should be truly relieved by this turn of events are the proprietors of Comet Pizza Ping Pong. this really clears the entire matter up in their favor, if nobody elses' lol

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

The thing that’s similar to pizzagate is trying to make the guilt stick to prominent establishment republicans on extremely shadowy ties to Russia in a kind of wish fulfillment fantasy.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
A camera "malfunction" and the first ever "suicide" at MCC oh my god that's blatant.

This is like Lee Harvey Oswald getting shot and the news media being like "woah... that guy just choked to death! Some suspect foul play"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Volkerball posted:

Obviously 34 wasn't enough so how many arrests/guilty pleas does it take for an investigation to not "fall through?" 50? 100? Sounds like this investigation is going to have to reap some serious fruit to meet up to your high standards of legitimacy.

I don't really care about indictment quantum, I care about what any of it means going forward. It means nothing, so it was nothing.

Volkerball posted:

A number of people broke laws through this process, and while a lot of them are Russians in Russia and likely won't end up serving any time, a number were in America and are facing charges for not registering as foreign lobbyists. And a bunch of dipshit advisers with 0 ethics getting pegged for loving up along the way while trying to cover their asses is a nice cherry on top. I'm satisfied in the investigation, but I'm pretty bummed about how broke brain Americans handled it. It was a perfect opportunity to discuss the effects of foreign money and influence in subverting American democracy these days, from Russia to Israel to the UAE, and how to start countering such things and combat the effects of lobbying in general post-citizens united. But as with everything in this shithole, it just became another outlet for tribal warfare between a bunch of partisan morons who are just smart enough to argue past one another, but not nearly smart enough to think for themselves, who turned the whole thing into a useless, detached slapfight. And it's looking quite likely the epstein investigation is heading for the same fate.

Reading absolutely zero subtext into this whatsoever, I agree with this generally. poo poo happened, there was an investigation, a few fall guys fell. I've been saying as much would happen as far back as December 2016.

Unfortunately, the reporting (and to a far lesser but SA-specific extent, the posting) was what it was, and:

quote:

Anyone saying that the Trump administration for sure collaborated with the Russian government was going out on a limb to say the least given there was no direct proof from the get go, but every other aspect of the investigation was proven true.

I mean, yeah. Except for the minor detail of the key pillar of the case, and all those glowing fishes and pillows pants who look dumb as hell now, the case mostly panned out as it should've. A pity nobody will learn anything from it but: oh well.

Anyway, a slave trader and bipartisan bundler who built a temple to Poseidon was taken off suicide watch and then killed himself during a camera malfunction. It's all probably just a coincidence though. He just wanted the easy way out, bing bong so simple

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:rolleyes:

I'm agnostic on [committed suicide / was pushed to commit suicide / was killed] [by the guards because they didn't like him / on the orders of [god loving knows who]], and am disinclined to accept anything short of a really thorough investigation as 100% true for sure.

Nah man, we've got America's best and brightest on it, we've got *briefly wikis US DoJ*

Oh no. Oh god no... OH GOD NO!

BrandorKP posted:

It doesn't matter if he killed himself or was killed.

That it really kind of doesn't is why it's so perfect for this particular thread.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

well then i guess that leads to an obvious conclusion of where i'm going to arrive at, doesn't it

Quite! Cowardly noncommittal whinging at nothing in particular.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Helsing posted:

What's really funny is that the same crew of posters who kept insisting that the Russiagate investigation would totally facilitate a larger discussion about elite corruption and entanglement with foreign intelligence agencies are suddenly extremely eager to downplay one of the most explosive scandals in American history, a scandal that actually does threaten to blow the lid off some of the kinds of actions that the Russiagaters were supposedly hyper concerned and vigilant about.

It certainly raises questions about priorities. Even if Epstein was merely allowed to kill himself - either intentionally or out of institutional incompetence - that would be almost incidental to the larger scandal that - big surprise - they have no real interest in.

I would have a greater chill about it if the dividing lines were not so ruler loving straight. The demographics aren't 100% exact, but they're much closer than they're far apart and the transparency of the bullshit is infuriating.

After a suspicious cell transfer and during a camera malfunction he had no way of knowing it was going on, a guy with information that could bring down 400 of the fortune 500 and considerable Mossad connections (and presumably CIA connections foremost) tied a length of something we don't know what it is to a doorknob that doesn't exist in SHU units and sat down so hard he broke his neck in three places. Also trust the exact three-letter agencies tangential to this event when they say the parts they redacted out of the Mueller report are the really big proof of Russian interference and we need to get really excited about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeQUlr4Xc3s&t=6s