Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Hoo boy. I actually kinda liked Kiyo before I got to this part. It's pretty neat that you are arguing on the same side as a self-confessed killer though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
100 friends huh? I guess you can't escape social media anywhere, not even in a locked-down school with murderous robot bears.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Soo... Yeah. That just happened.

In other news: Kaito is coughing blood!

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

I really like Kiyo's events, they are both educational and provide good insight into his character. The revelations during the last trial would not be so far out if you had seen these events first - especially if you also saw Kaede's version, and heard about how he wants to "find friends for his sister". It takes on a whole other meaning when you consider that he wanted to kill her after they got out. Kiyo is not a good person by any sane person's standards.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Oh man, I completely forgot about that segment with Rantaro at the beginning of the chapter. It really seems like some stuff is missing there, but it's certainly good fodder for speculation...

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Maki does look a lot like an anime character. I bet Tsumugi would get a kick out of that story if she heard it.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Quackles posted:

AU version where Shuichi is the first killer, and Kaede remains the protagonist for the rest of the game.

I read a fanfic with this exact premise. Shuichi sacrifices himself to save Kaede in the first trial, and Monokuma just rolls with it. Kaede develops a serious grudge against the mastermind for killing Shuichi. She goes after them much more actively than he does, since she already knows they don't really give a poo poo about the rules (believing, of course, that she was the killer).

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Fedule posted:

Localization talk

I remember being really confused by this weak point myself. I knew exactly the point I was supposed to make but none of the weak points really seemed to fit. English is my second language, so the difference between "recruitment" and "scouting" was somewhat murky in my mind. I went with it since it was the only one that made sense in context, but I've always thought it was a bit unclear. What, were they worried it would be too obvious if he said "taking applications for new students"? I don't know what the original Japanese was, though. For all I know it's just as weird (but I doubt it).

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Welcome to the endgame, ladies and gentlemen. Where the veil is lifted and you can see the truth behind the lies. This one's a doozy.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Agree on the amazing edit. I was wondering if you'd do something like that.

On my playthrough, I had gotten spoiled on the mastermind's identity but none of this fourth-wall stuff. I was really worried that the finale would become boring, since I knew "the big twist". Fortunately, it didn't live up to those expectations.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Speaking of which...

Solitair posted:

Chapter 1, Part 5: The Words That Maketh Murder

When a series lasts for several seasons, eventually it'll run out of material. My memory has been awful lately. I wonder if it's cuz of how long the series has been going. Wait...what season are we on again? What material have we shown so far? Geez, I don't remember. Maybe it's cuz they've released so many at this point. Oh well! Anyway, we need new material for the Monokuma Theater! Please send your manuscripts, along with a 1,000 dollar application fee! If your entry is selected, you will receive a 100 dollar gift card! What a generous prize! Don't miss this opportunity! Send your applications today!

I don't know why you guys are so surprised by this twist. Monokuma told us about it way back in chapter one.

NeverHelm fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 3, 2020

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

On the subject of foreshadowing, it seems Tsumugi let the mask slip a bit every now and then...

Solitair posted:

Prologue Part 2: Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself

If you have the time, try looking through the thread after the LP ends and see if you can spot them all!

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

How long has this show been running in "real life"? How long does it take to produce one season? The actual killing game takes place over a couple weeks or so. And there's lots of prework to be done, building the sets, writing the plot, all that stuff. Not to mention finding new participants.

Let's assume the stuff this world shares with ours (everything up to and including the DR3 anime) came out in the same timeline, everything after that is similar to this game, and that the remaining 49 seasons are on a very fast 4-seasons-a-year production pipeline. In that case, the series is 6 + 12.25 = 18.25 years old. And that's the lower end. It's probably much more than that.

No wonder the villains keep going on about how it will never end.

EDIT: So the real mastermind? :capitalism:

NeverHelm fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 6, 2020

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Exactly. It's clearly been going on for decades.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

That was her acting out the Junko "character". This is the "real" Tsumugi talking, I imagine. Or maybe she's just being contrarian.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

They totally knew what they were doing, the self-awareness shown in this chapter is amazing. The Kaede twist in chapter one was like a punch in the gut for me. I felt personally "betrayed" by Spike Chunsoft for their misleading marketing, but I had gotten over it at this point. Then I realized that was completely intentional. Amazing.

And now for something completely different: The demo for this game has a decidedly different feel after playing through the main game. I can't recall any other game I've played where the demo has narrative relevance. I encourage people to take a look at it, it's not very long.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Hey, its back! It's nice to get an opportunity to see more Kaede and Rantaro, this time from Shuichi's perspective. It does kinda suck that you have to replay chapter 1 a bunch of times to see all of Kaede's FTEs, though.

On the subject of the DRV3 postgame, for those who aren't aware the other major postgame mode, Talent Development Plan, is being expanded into it's own spinoff game as part of the new anniversary collection. It looks fairly meaty (and full of fanservice, which is also true for the original).

NeverHelm fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Great LP Solitair! It's been a long ride. I can totally understand not wanting to do Talent Development Plan, given the circumstances. If you want to show every dialogue, you have to go through the board game mode many times... It would probably feel like a chore at that point. It's really only meant to be played a few times with your favourite characters. Even though the characters' events overlap a bit, you'd probably still have to play a couple dozen runs at least.

There are definitely a few gems in there, but I'm not entirely sure if it's worth putting yourself through all that. I'm sure someone's compiled them all into a youtube video or something, if someone's really curious.