Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Deformed Church posted:

I'm 110% sure they're all thick as pigshit because if you were trying to murder someone and get away with it you'd very obviously go for the person who's special skill is solving (but not preventing) murders, and none of them have done it.

maybe they all liked him too much to kill him.

except for kiyo, of course, who didn't like him enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

wologar posted:

The smartest person in the room is obviously Himiko because how the hell is she still alive.

Magic.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

NeverHelm posted:

I read a fanfic with this exact premise. Shuichi sacrifices himself to save Kaede in the first trial, and Monokuma just rolls with it. Kaede develops a serious grudge against the mastermind for killing Shuichi. She goes after them much more actively than he does, since she already knows they don't really give a poo poo about the rules (believing, of course, that she was the killer).

I saw that one, too. Didn't get very far in it, but maybe once I'm done with the main story I'll have a bit more time.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

wologar posted:

The smartest person in the room is obviously Himiko because how the hell is she still alive.

Himiko is like that person on Survivor who gets carried all the way to the end because they're useless and nobody likes them, so nobody sees them as a threat and gets rid of them.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

curiousCat posted:

Highly disagree -- the most important information here between the two of them is that Kokichi doesn't brush Gonta off.

Did you forget about trial 4? Kokichi didn't pay attention to Gonta enough to notice that he had no memory of the virtual world, while Shuichi did.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

McGavin posted:

Himiko is like that person on Survivor who gets carried all the way to the end because they're useless and nobody likes them, so nobody sees them as a threat and gets rid of them.

lol you watch Survivor

I hereby nominate this guy as the Himiko of this thread.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NeverHelm posted:

I read a fanfic with this exact premise. Shuichi sacrifices himself to save Kaede in the first trial, and Monokuma just rolls with it. Kaede develops a serious grudge against the mastermind for killing Shuichi. She goes after them much more actively than he does, since she already knows they don't really give a poo poo about the rules (believing, of course, that she was the killer).

For anyone curious, here's the spoilered kill order for that fanfic past Ch1 (nothing that spoils beyond what this LP has reached so far):

Ch2: Kiyo kills Kirumi.
Ch3: Angie kills Gonta. The mastermind kills Himiko using the first come first served rule.
Ch4: Miu kills Keebo instead of her intended target Kokichi.
Ch5: Kokichi sets things up similarly to canon, but with him and Maki instead. Kokichi is outed as the killer.
Ch6: Maki is revealed to have faked her death and sets things up to broadcast Monokuma's failure. She gets trapped and unable to physically make it to the trial, and Kaito stays behind as they presumably get killed offscreen for breaking the rules. Kaede, Ryoma, Tenko and Tsumugi enter the final trial.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

What is this story everyone is talking about?

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

NeverHelm posted:

Can I please get a link to this fanfic? It sounds like it'd be an entertaining read.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

What is this story everyone is talking about?

Talow posted:

Can I please get a link to this fanfic? It sounds like it'd be an entertaining read.

It's called I'd Trade My Life for Yours. Caveat #1: It was written before DRV3 was localized, so there are honorifics everywhere and people's speech patterns and tics aren't quite like we know them. Caveat #2: Expect spoilers for what we haven't seen yet in the game, and I don't know what point they start coming. I'll be done with the main story by mid-December; it's up to you if you can wait to read this until then.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Kokichi rules because you can call him a "paranoid clown" and it's 100% accurate to the lore.

Me and my buddy marathoned the 3 DR games in a row with zero prior knowledge and this was our favorite game and our favorite final 5. We hated Tsumigi, but her being evil af meant that there wasn't anyone explicitly deadweight like the other two games. Himiko might appear to fill that role, but she has na actual character arc, is pleasant to be around, and actually does things.

Seriously though, RIP Kokichi, the kid was smart as a whip and was way more interesting (and just more fun) Nagito or Byakuya

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Thank you for the link. I'll opt to just bookmark it and read it after the LP is done.

As for the actual LP itself, I can't say I was expecting the accusation and closing argument in the 9th to last trial video. Unfortunately, Junko Enoshima was 100% just "And there's the accusation I was waiting for" :sigh:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Talow posted:

Thank you for the link. I'll opt to just bookmark it and read it after the LP is done.

As for the actual LP itself, I can't say I was expecting the accusation and closing argument in the 9th to last trial video. Unfortunately, Junko Enoshima was 100% just "And there's the accusation I was waiting for" :sigh:

Well, we know the mastermind, but we have yet to unravel exactly what is going on or why it's going on. Literally everything the kids haven't directly experienced is suspect now that we know the flashback lights are phonies

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

VIDEO: The Eighth-to-Last Trial Video

Even if nobody was waiting, even if it makes you go, "What, again?"...

Junko Enoshima...the 53rd?

Tsumugi...wh-what's the matter? Aren't you...Tsumugi Shirogane?

Our friend who survived with us?

Cuz I'm just a character! Y'know, a lie!

A flurry of props obscures the mastermind whenever she switches between Tsumugi and Junko.

Sorry to all her fans out there. If any of you even exist, that is.

A-A lie...?

Puhuhu... Calling her your friend... Oh, it's laughable, really.

A-Are you serious!? You're the mastermind behind this?

But, why? That face and that voice! It's just like...

Junko Enoshima!

No, that's not possible... Junko Enoshima is dead!

But...why did you call yourself "the 53rd"?

As history repeats itself, so does Junko Enoshima...

Nyeh...?

So...you're just a freak pretending to be Junko Enoshima, huh!?

No, a perfect reproduction!

Perfect reproductions are exactly the same as the original.

Her logic is impossible to follow, much like the real Junko Enoshima's...

Oh, don't say mean things like that... Besides, killing me never ends the game.

It never ends the game? What do you mean?

Wait! If force is necessary, it should wait until after we see what she—

No need, Keebo. Because this class trial is *over*.

What? It's already over? But I just showed up!

You killed Kaede, and Monokuma covered it up with a false narrative!

Oh that, right. Yeah, I definitely messed that up. Sorry about that...

So? Is that all you have to say?

The viewers won't accept that kind of apology! You gotta stop the killing game!

Eh? The viewers?

Umm... It seems like you're on the wrong track, so let me explain...

That was...about the time the meteorite impacts started intensifying...

Did she just start some big story on her own...?

I knew of Hope's Peak Academy's Gofer Project, and my inner Junko told me...

Crushing the Gofer Project, humanity's last hope, would be the perfect despair.

I forced those selected as humanity's last hope to play my killing game.

And then I took the name "Tsumugi Shirogane" and sneaked in among them.

Did...Kokichi know about this? Wasn't he a Remnant of Despair?

He was your comrade, right?

It's like, you don't need a remote after you've thrown out the TV, right?

The Remnants of Despair are just a bunch of despair fanboys and fangirls.

But I...am despair itself...

A god wouldn't be comrades with one of their believers, right?

Then Kokichi didn't know your true identity either...

To the end, he had no idea the object of his worship was right under his nose.

I-I don't care about your story! Tell us about the people watching!

There's nobody watching.

Huh?

We were the last 16 people alive, y'know? Who could be watching? Humanity is gone.

No, you're lying... If this isn't being shown to anyone, why care so much about rules?

That was just a part of my perfect reproduction.

Your what?

I just perfectly reproduced my own killing game is all. Just like the old Junko!

You just wanted to recreate the past killing game... That's it?

Yup, that's it.

There are no survivors of humanity. Things are just as you recalled...

Maybe we all remember that there's no one left out there...

But how do we know our memories are real?

Huh? What do you mean by that? You think your memories are wrong?

There's something that's been bothering me about our memories...

The Complete History of Hope's Peak Academy?

Nothing would indicate this book is a prop. I believe the information here is accurate.

But there's a lot written in here that differs from our memories.

...What is different?

To know that for certain, I'll need everyone's help.

We just need to talk about what we remember from Hope's Peak? Okay...

Um... So it started with The Biggest, Most Awful, Most Tragic Event in Human History.

KEEBO: It would not be hyperbole to say that event brought despair to all mankind.

Yeah! It was me!

JUNKO: But my real identity was the Ultimate Despair! In order to cover the world in despair, I put my plans—

Huh? I detect no discrepancy in my memory banks...

Yes, everything we just said is just like we remember it...

I'll determine exactly why later... For now, I need to identify the discrepancy.

So you gotta play "Spot the Difference"!

The Biggest, Most Awful, Most Tragic Event in Human History...

That even originated at Hope's Peak Academy...

The cause of all that despair...

A student of Hope's Peak Academy...

I did everything in my power...

Something about that statement doesn't match with the history... Was the "Ultimate Despair" really just one person...?

We won't forget about Mukuro that easily.

To put it simply, there's more to Ultimate Despair than Junko Enoshima.

This is the first time I've heard about this. Wasn't Junko the Ultimate Despair?

...That's what I recall as well. That label should only apply to her.

Coincidence? Misremembered?

No, It's no coincidence. I know there's a difference in those memories.

Ugh, does it even matter? I'm bored already.

...Just shut up.

So, let's continue where we left off.

Junko resorted to different tactics to cover the world with despair.

HIMIKO: They were locked up and forced into the killing game by the Ultimate Despair.

JUNKO: When I, the one who started it all, died, events were set in motion...

TSUMUGI: And the world began to move towards restoration.

But the worst-case scenario was avoided! Yay, a happy ending!

Not yet. There are more points that conflict with the history. I'll point those out next.

The Biggest, Most Awful, Most Tragic Event in Human History happened...

and forced into the killing game.

are only now reaching their climax.

But for now, we've avoided the worst of it.

It's different from our memories after all... What's the contradiction?

Of course it would be the statement that gets covered up by an indestructible obstacle if you aren't quick enough.

It was the class themselves. They shut themselves in.

Shut themselves in?

Why would they shut themselves in?

During The Tragedy, the 78th class...

...trapped themselves inside Hope's Peak Academy, for protection.

So our memory of the 78th class being trapped by the Ultimate DeSpair...

Are you saying...our memories are wrong?

There's no need to worry about it. Your memories are all correct.

What you've been saying isn't consistent! First you said it was just "coincidence."

Huh? Is that so?

...Let's just move on. I want to talk about one more thing from our memories.

What about Hope's Peak Academy?

There's no doubt that the 16 of us were students at Hope's Peak Academy.

We heard it had been rebuilt, and was accepting applications for talented students again...

And so, we gathered at the brand-new Hope's Peak Academy.

But there's no doubt we were students of the new school.

But why? Why are our memories so different?

Hope's Peak Academy was rebuilt...

And with that...

When we found out...

we came to the new Hope's Peak Academy.

Which is why we were all in different classes.

But we're all the same!

...Why? Why are our memories different? What is going on here...?

"Recruitment" isn't the quite the right word here, NISA. Thankfully we have enough context to infer what this is supposed to say.

The academy did not take applications. All of their students were scouted.

Scouted!? I've never heard that!

I wasn't scouted. I applied to Hope's Peak Academy on my own!

Me too. I *chose* to come to Hope's Peak.

Are you saying we're remembering it wrong?

Maybe so, but I'm not getting all of this from just the book...

Solitair fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 2, 2023

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh snap!

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
Amanda Miller was always really good as (previously about half of) Junko, but she's on a whole other level in this game.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

... we're not done yet.

Leamonde
Aug 2, 2012

Level 1 Thief posted:

Amanda Miller was always really good as (previously about half of) Junko, but she's on a whole other level in this game.

Commenting that all my lamenting of "oh no, not again" was immediately washed away by the dulcet tones of Crazy.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Level 1 Thief posted:

her performance in this is game is stellar

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

I really like how the X over Kokichi's face is drawn so that it looks like a check mark. Definitely captures his spirit. :allears:

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Bloody Emissary posted:

I really like how the X over Kokichi's face is drawn so that it looks like a check mark. Definitely captures his spirit. :allears:

You may already be aware of this, but, for anyone who's interested, a tick means 'no' or 'wrong' in Japanese. Definitely appropriate for Kokichi!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Level 1 Thief posted:

My favorite DR voice actor will always be Miyuki Sawashiro, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tj1S1nN47g

Well, that and/or Jacksthemouse...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpaNOL0amv4&t=416s

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Not gonna lie, I binged the end of the game after the last update. :v:

I can't help but notice something, though.

The artwork for Junko's new poses varies greatly in quality and it's really jarring to notice.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The artwork for Junko's new poses varies greatly in quality and it's really jarring to notice.

The first one isn't a new pose, though. I'm 95% sure it's a straight rip from the first game, except for the little V3 lines in the eyes.

Looks like the artist's gotten a little more into using solid outlines since then. :v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Small nitpick, but I feel like you should have a screenshot of her flipping back to Tsumugi earlier in the LP, because if you're not watching the video it's not really clear that's what's happening.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Come on Tsumugi, do another one. Don't be a boring one hit wonder, cosplay everyone! Give us suichi the 42nd!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Solitair posted:

That even originated at Hope's Peak Academy...

Missing 't' in event.

Solitair posted:

So our memory of the 78th class being trapped by the Ultimate DeSpair...

Weird intercaps.

---

God, I love how much this game leans into the "it's always gotta be Junko!!" angle, it's so perfect, especially with our history of Danganronpa on SA.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 1, 2020

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

God, I love how much this game leans into the "it's always gotta be Junko!!" angle, it's so perfect, especially with our history of Danganronpa on SA.

Especially how the person pushing hardest against it is inside the game itself and practically screaming "THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE" so that you can't actually do it as a player/reader

Tsumugi: haha Danganronpa machine go junkojunkojunkojunkojunko

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Solitair posted:

"Recruitment" isn't the quite the right word here, NISA. Thankfully we have enough context to infer what this is supposed to say.

God, this pisses me off so much.

(this post probbaly won't be as interesting to many of you as it is to me, fair warning, you already know my conclusion but I'm just expounding on localisation a little, and venting)

When the SHSL patch was kicking off, I worked on making a style guide for our script - most of which was already in pretty good shape since orenronen's LP was a great starting point - that was mostly obsessing over little technical details, because ultimately that's what a style guide is for. We never got deep enough into final final final final polishing checks for me to find this out for certain but I suspect some of the things I insisted upon might have seemed slightly obsessive to my fellow team-members, because these were quite granular things I was concerned with.

One of the things I was categorically insistent on was:

"Fedule back in [checks notes posted:

2013, oh god I'm old"]
Weak Points should be written as decisive statements in and of themselves. The text between the tags should comprise a complete proposition that can be objected to.
EG, instead of "Without doubt it was <CLT 9>the mastermind who killed her<CLT>"
Use "There is no doubt. <CLT 9>The mastermind killed her<CLT>."

(this is the kind of change you can make easily if you don't have to also manage a dub! I think this one would have been fine to dub but having a dub for specifically the trial scenes would impose a hell of a lot more restrictions!)

Basically, I was going to be absolutely maddeningly thorough about reviewing every single weak point that appears during a Nonstop Debate to make sure that taken on its own (ie, reading only the yellow text) it would put forward the exact atomic proposition that would then be refuted if you shot it and that your evidence must refute.

(we can infer that for DR2 and v3 if it came to it I would require the same to be true of agreement points, but for the exact proposition you agree with and that your evidence must corroborate)

The example I gave above was the kind of "error", as it were, I would expect to be contending with, the kind of "error" I would imagine to be typical of a broadly competent but maybe slightly rushed localisation, where, with a little interpretation, most readers would easily understand that "the mastermind who killed her" is alleging an identity between "the mastermind" and "the killer" rather than "the mastermind who killed her and not one of the other masterminds who didn't kill her", which is something you should worry about as an author because it's basically the authorial equivalent of defensively coding against edge cases.

It turns out, though, that this isn't even relevant, because what we actually got here in v3 is even worse. It's not just a minor imprecision that would only bother obsessive editors and the tiny portion of readers who might take the wrong meaning, it actually precisely expresses the wrong meaning, and creates an extra logical step for the player where they have to figure out what the script meant to say. This is the opposite of what K1-B0 actually believes, and taken as read you "refute" it by presenting evidence that alleges the same thing. It's an absurd error. Any review, even a loose one by someone not obsessing over technicalities and referring to terms like "atomic proposition", should have caught this.

The hilarious part is, that at purely the very technical structural level I was thinking of in my advice, this statement by K1-B0 is actually perfectly parsed, which is to say, the word "resume" is not part of the yellow text, because the thing you're refuting is the academy's procedure in general, not the suggestion that it resumed. I haven't been checking but I don't think this assement holds up all the time in any of the official localisations. Maybe I'll check. That sounds fun, right, because I'm normal.

I think this actually bothers me a little more than the way they use "consent" to mean "concur".

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Fedule posted:

God, this pisses me off so much.

(extremely interesting post)

As a fan of the series, a localisation/language nerd and a mystery writer, I love this post and found it very interesting and insightful!!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Especially how the person pushing hardest against it is inside the game itself and practically screaming "THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE" so that you can't actually do it as a player/reader

It's great, just this keen awareness on the writers of how long the journey here has been.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bloody Emissary posted:

The first one isn't a new pose, though. I'm 95% sure it's a straight rip from the first game, except for the little V3 lines in the eyes.

Looks like the artist's gotten a little more into using solid outlines since then. :v:

Yeah, I was half-asleep at the time. I meant to say that the new art looks noticeably different from the old.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.

Fedule posted:

Localization talk

I remember being really confused by this weak point myself. I knew exactly the point I was supposed to make but none of the weak points really seemed to fit. English is my second language, so the difference between "recruitment" and "scouting" was somewhat murky in my mind. I went with it since it was the only one that made sense in context, but I've always thought it was a bit unclear. What, were they worried it would be too obvious if he said "taking applications for new students"? I don't know what the original Japanese was, though. For all I know it's just as weird (but I doubt it).

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Reveilled posted:

:emptyquote:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
There's plenty to criticize NISA's translation for but this is an extremely silly complaint. That's literally the exact definition of the word "recruit."

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/recruit (definition 10)

I can understand a non-native speaker having a problem with it (English has a ridiculous amount of words with multiple definitions) but native speakers should understand it. Otherwise, that's a problem with that person not fully understanding the word.

NISA's translation is fine here. It's an extremely unrealistic (and unfair) expectation to think that they should heavily scrutinize every word that they use and guess as to whether some people would have a problem understanding it. :colbert:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

...! posted:

There's plenty to criticize NISA's translation for but this is an extremely silly complaint. That's literally the exact definition of the word "recruit."

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/recruit (definition 13)

I can understand a non-native speaker having a problem with it (English has a ridiculous amount of words with multiple definitions) but native speakers should understand it. Otherwise, that's a problem with that person not fully understanding the word.

NISA's translation is fine here. It's an extremely unrealistic (and unfair) expectation to think that they should heavily scrutinize every word that they use and guess as to whether some people would have a problem understanding it. :colbert:

The problem isn't that taking applications doesn't meet the definition of "recruit", it's that scouting talent also meets the definition of "recruit" (definitions 9 through 11). In the debate we're supposed to be looking for the statement which is false. "Hope's Peak academy recruited students" is not a false statement in either narrative.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I definitely remembered that the process was scouting, not applications, and I was still a bit confused about which weak point was the real one here. To me, "recruit" implies the school going out of their way to scout, so I didn't think there was anything wrong with what Keebo said at first. It's not a huge deal, but it would have tripped me up if I was playing.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Reveilled posted:

The problem isn't that taking applications doesn't meet the definition of "recruit", it's that scouting talent also meets the definition of "recruit" (definitions 9 through 11). In the debate we're supposed to be looking for the statement which is false. "Hope's Peak academy recruited students" is not a false statement in either narrative.

:emptyquote:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Solitair posted:

A god wouldn't be comrades with one of their believers, right?

That's not the way Atua tells it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

VIDEO: The Seventh-to-Last Trial Video

The killing game we're in now is one that began with Hope's Peak Academy.

So this is the third game, after Hope's Peak and Jabberwock Island.

You're the Ultimate Survivor. You survived the last killing game.

Then...which killing game did Rantaro participate in?

I'm not entirely sure, but...it's clearly inconsistent, isn't it?

And the inconsistencies don't stop there. Kokichi's account is also suspect.

Kokichi's account is inconsistent, too?

We remember Kokichi as a Remnant of Despair... But I don't think that's true. He wasn't a Remnant of Despair.

He wasn't...a Remnant of Despair?

KEEBO: And Kokichi was their leader... If he was the one leading the Remnants of Despair...

So where's your proof he wasn't a Remnant of Despair?

The proof that Kokichi isn't a Remnant of Despair...

MONOKUMA: He caused mayhem the world over as the leader of the secret organization, D.I.C.E.

MONOKUMA: Anyway, Kokichi had ten loyal goons working for him. These goons were like friends and family... The most important people in his life...

And in addition to that, the group was only 10 people.

You mean...he wasn't a Remnant of Despair? That's...not possible...

Come to think of it, we never actually heard it directly from him...

But it's still not possible!

Kokichi didn't tell us because he wasn't exposed to that Flashback Light.

Junko...?

Hope...? Despair...?

If they'd been exposed to it, maybe we'd know the truth...

...Maybe it's better that they weren't.

I think the people who were affected by that Flashback Light were wrong...

Nyeh? What do you mean?

So the Flashback Lights are the cause?

You found the classroom that makes all the Flashback Lights...right, Shuichi?

Yes, and I noticed something strange about it.

SHUICHI: However, some of the memories were inconsistent with each other. One might say "there are survivors," but another would say "there are no survivors." Bizarre, right?

We're supposed to remember the truth that we forgot, and there should only be one truth.

Huh!?

The Flashback Light isn't for recovering lost memories, is that what you're saying?

Then what was it for?

What was it for, huh? Huuuh?

What are the Flashback Lights used for... Why can you select different memories... And what does it mean if those memories contradict each other? If I put all the pieces together, it'll all make sense.

SHUICHI: They were memories to be implanted inside us. That's why the contents of those memories contradict each other.

Not real. They were all false memories.

Oh! What a horrible truth! If the memories from the Flashback Lights are lies...

Can you believe it? It's like everything that happened didn't matter at all.

Well, that *is* what it means.

...Huh?

The bigger they are, the more fun and shocking it is when they're revealed.

The memories from the Flashback Lights...were just lies?

It's just as Shuichi said—the Flashback Lights are not for recovering lost memories. They're tools for implanting new ones.

The brain gets confused and thinks the info it just received happened in the past.

W-We were just...confused?

Fake! Hm-hm! You guys don't have anything to do with Hope's Peak Academy!

None of us were ever students there. It was just a fake memory.

We're...not students from Hope's Peak?

Yup, that was all fake.

I didn't originally plan on giving you those memories, but... I was in a rush and overlooked all those inconsistencies, so you figured it all out...

So that's why Kokichi had to die?

Hmmm. Good job, Mr. Detective... You got it.

The only reason we thought Kokichi was a Remnant was because of the Flashback Lights.

That was a lie he invented himself.

He wanted to be the mastermind... He wanted us to believe it... That's why he lied.

...Huh?

Which meeeans...the mastermind who snuck Monokuma onto the Ark is...

Meeeee!!!

At the same time, having everyone remember Hope's Peak Academy...

You were using the Flashback Lights to control us!?

Then the reason I tried to kill Kokichi was...

But Maki wasn't the only one being controlled. You all were.

You all got so depressed, you couldn't even focus on the killing game.

Wait, then...to make us recover from that, you...

So you all could face despair.

You...controlled us with that fake memory!?

Well, it wasn't just that memory. It was all of 'em up till now.

JUNKO: Everything from the Flashback Lights was just motivation to move you forward.

You idiots kept getting jerked around by meaningless lies!

This class trial was like that too, wasn't it? Why was it you were so motivated to do it?

Hey, what was it you guys remembered from it, again?

JUNKO: You remembered that you had all been entrusted with the world's hope, right?

Even though Kaito and Kokichi were gone, and Keebo started to go berserk...

You were controlling our emotions? Even our resolve to defeat the mastermind?

This is a killing game. A death game where emotions run like blood.

A-All the memories...were fake? Then...what was everything till now?

We cycle through a bunch of art screens from the flashback light segments.

HIMIKO: If they were all fake memories, then...

Yeah, who knows? My plans for mankind's last killing game kinda just fell apart.

So figure out why on your own. This is a class trial, after all.

Hm?

...I don't know *who* you are.

Huh? What's not to understand?

I...

If this killing game is connected to Hope's Peak Academy, then I believe you. This is certainly the work of someone carrying on Junko Enoshima's will.

Hajime is voiced in English by Johnny Yong Bosch, who rose from humble beginnings as the second Black Ranger in Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers to become one of the most well-known voice actors of our time. Some of his most prominent roles include Jonathan Joestar in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood, Lelouch in Code Geass, Izaya Orihara in Durarara, Ichigo Kurosaki in Bleach, and Rantaro Amami in Danganronpa V3.

...What?

Solitair fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 2, 2023