Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Football Cards of a Failed League: Topps 2019 Alliance of American Football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Play posted:

My shirt got here but its made for a dude with like 100 lbs on me.

What's his name?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Colostomy Bag posted:

lol, what size is it?

Extra large. I'm 6'3" but I didn't realize it would be in fat person sizes

General Dog posted:

What's his name?

Cletus, probably. Or whatever your name is

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Play posted:

Extra large. I'm 6'3" but I didn't realize it would be in fat person sizes

This is america bro

Play
Apr 25, 2006

sharknado slashfic posted:

This is america bro

I know. And Dick's Sporting Goods to boot. My girlfriend already made fun of me for being a dumbass though,, no need for more

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Oh my god, YES. I will fill a binder with a complete set and will sell it 30 years from now to fund my retirement

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/frntofficesport/status/1118584049491152897

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Apparently the AAF tried to merge with the XFL back in November, and only had enough money when they started for one week of play

one week.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Low Desert Punk posted:

Apparently the AAF tried to merge with the XFL back in November, and only had enough money when they started for one week of play

one week.

lmao my god this whole thing was a catastrophe. here's an article that has some more info: https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2019/04/08/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/AAF.aspx

quote:

Before the AAF’s season began, Alex Fairly, a highly-sought-after insurance consultant in sports who declined to work with the league, said he “got an exact amount of capital that they had, and it was an outstandingly low number. It wasn’t five percent of what they needed, it wasn’t even close.” Fairly declined to cite the specific figure.

quote:

Asked why he declined to work with the AAF, Fairly said, “Number one, we did not think they had enough time to get ready. Vince announced in February 2018 he was going to play in 2020, and we had been involved in those conversations. … The AAF guys came in after that time, so less time than Vince, and they were kind of beating the XFL to the punch if you will.

“It’s a daunting task to pull this off and we just simply did not think they had time. … there were a lot of indications in those conversations that they were scrambling around and everyone’s hair was on fire.”

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Ebersol and Polian should go to jail, but at least they'll be in courthouses for the rest of their lives

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

What's crazy is the people in charge put no time into planning (and had no money to do it with) but the workers and techs in the trenches who helped put out the product, and the players themselves, actually added up to some pretty decent football

If you can get all those entertaining weeks out of literally having no money or cohesive managerial direction, imagine what you could get with a spring league that had some forethought and investment

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

sweet thursday posted:

What's crazy is the people in charge put no time into planning (and had no money to do it with) but the workers and techs in the trenches who helped put out the product, and the players themselves, actually added up to some pretty decent football

If you can get all those entertaining weeks out of literally having no money or cohesive managerial direction, imagine what you could get with a spring league that had some forethought and investment

The XFL was announced before the AAF and isn't starting play until later, so maybe?

But then again, the main reason the nuXFL seems to exist is because Vince McMahon thinks there's a market for football where the players aren't allowed to kneel during the national anthem.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pakled posted:

But then again, the main reason the nuXFL seems to exist is because Vince McMahon thinks there's a market for football where the players aren't allowed to kneel during the national anthem.

There is, it's called college football.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

General Dog posted:

There is, it's called college football.

also the NFL

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

GD_American posted:

Ebersol and Polian should go to jail, but at least they'll be in courthouses for the rest of their lives

Seriously. Ebersol went on every sports show talking about how they had enough money for years. The desperation to lure more investors to their money pit using national tv, what a scumbag.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

:( Forgeon...

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Wait, didn't they have a few pre-season games too? Did no one get paid for those? Why did they even have a pre-season when they only had enough money for one week?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

syzpid posted:

Wait, didn't they have a few pre-season games too? Did no one get paid for those? Why did they even have a pre-season when they only had enough money for one week?

I think there was just one week of closed-gate scrimmages

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I don't know if the NFL needs as much a "minor league" as a competitor. (ala USFL, XFL) to move things forward and implement more changes that the game needs right now.

Minor leagues have indeed been tried. The WLAF/NFL Europe had some moderate success but really struggled all things considered.

I am intrigued about perhaps not "forcing" five star football players into universities and allowing them the option of perhaps going to some sort of "junior league" though. I find the process of recruiting in the year 2019 sickening. "signing day" is a loving joke.

It feels like Joe Johnson from St. Xaviers Prep Academy in Texas would probably much prefer to get paid like his baseball, hockey (and formally basketball) counterparts than really gently caress around at the University of Georgia.

I think it would also eliminate these dumb rear end booster scandals that are prevalent as well. Suddenly BIG CRAZY BILL'S car dealership cash isn't as sweet when you could go play for "Team Oklahoma" and get paid a decent wage before going to get drafted by the Dolphins.

problem is it feels like a bit of a high wire act to pull off. But I really feel it's needed at this point.

I say this by the way? As someone who loves College Athletics and enjoys attending games.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
honestly we just need a proper league pyramid system with team promotion/relegation and enough levels to accommodate all skill levels and pay grades, so NFL-quality players can play against players of similar quality and get paid big bucks, and decent players can play against other decent players and get paid decent bucks, and at the lower levels you get leagues that are a part-time job paying part-time job money for people who are talented enough to play decent football but not talented enough to make a career out of it.

and since that will literally never happen, why don't we just go completely ridiculous with it, we should integrate school sports programs into the pyramid. every high school football team that wins a state championship gets promoted up to the NAIA, the 50 worst NAIA teams become high school teams. every NCAA national champion gets promoted up to the NFL and the Browns get relegated to being that college's new football team.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 22, 2019

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Relegation will never take hold at any level of any American sport. Not high school, not minor league, not major league. If it isn't baked into the sports ownership model from the creation of the sport, it's not going to work.

I know the inherent Europhilia in every soccer nut makes them pine for it (or in the case of that annoying dipshit on Deadspin that hates the MLS, argue nothing works without it), and I understand. It's a cool model. It adds some real financial consequence to on-field success/failure, and it gets even more attractive to fans as you see franchises sit on profit sharing with low payrolls and act as free riders.

But nobody, not the local asphalt magnate who ponied up 1.5 mil for a AA team, nor the Big 4 team owner with 9 figures invested, would dare risk their investment like that. It's too close to gambling. And you'd get some ridiculous demographic/team mismatches in short order (think Green Bay having an NFL team, only 100x worse). Can you picture AFC Mobile, a team with a record attendance of 851, somehow winning their way over several seasons into MLS broadcasts on ESPN? What about poo poo-sucking franchises like the Jets, falling to the level of hosting Fresno's football team in week 4 of the JMLAFL before taking a three game barnstorming swing through Montana, Nebraska and Utah?

It's as achievable as getting money out of politics. It's just annoying when it comes up at this point, even as a gag recommendation.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i decided to become a fan of the first aaf team to lose in the first aaf playoffs. but it turned out that of all the football i enjoyed from countless exactly three different teams, the whole league was the cincinnati bengals all along. fare well again marvin.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

GD_American posted:

It's as achievable as getting money out of politics. It's just annoying when it comes up at this point, even as a gag recommendation.

I think basketball is about the only sort of thing I could see this remotely being achieved. There's enough random arenas that you could do it with. (Tulsa, Kansas City, Seattle, Cincinnati, Vancouver, etc). But even then? The talent would feel somewhat watered down at that point.

I think "Junior Leagues" for 16-21 years or so would be the better direction. Allowing them to get paid in the short term and remove that concern out of the equation. Perhaps the NCAA would "play nice" with eligibility concerns for those that don't look like they're close to making it to the pros, allow them immediate eligibility, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHJZCZIJcC0

Because frankly? Why are we doing this sort of stuff? Is there anybody that benefits from this whole thing outside of universities being able to get donations, and ESPN shilling the hell out for this.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

GD_American posted:

What about poo poo-sucking franchises like the Jets, falling to the level of hosting Fresno's football team in week 4 of the JMLAFL before taking a three game barnstorming swing through Montana, Nebraska and Utah?

of course it's a pipe dream but this makes me want it so bad

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

GD_American posted:

rder (think Green Bay having an NFL team, only 100x worse). Can you picture AFC Mobile, a team with a record attendance of 851, somehow winning their way over several seasons into MLS broadcasts on ESPN? What about poo poo-sucking franchises like the Jets, falling to the level of hosting Fresno's football team in week 4 of the JMLAFL before taking a three game barnstorming swing through Montana, Nebraska and Utah?

All of these scenarios own though? I don't even watch soccer and I know these scenarios own

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Spaced God posted:

All of these scenarios own though? I don't even watch soccer and I know these scenarios own

it sounds great until jerry jones gets the rules changed to abolish the draft and have euro soccer rules but worse for player movement.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Legends hat and shirt arrived and boys they look good

Jersey in the mail from china

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

GD_American posted:

What about poo poo-sucking franchises like the Jets, falling to the level of hosting Fresno's football team in week 4 of the JMLAFL before taking a three game barnstorming swing through Montana, Nebraska and Utah?

This sentence confuses me, because you make it sound like that wouldn't be hilarious and awesome.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

It would be hilarious and awesome for everyone except the person who owns the Jets, which is the point I was making. That's the only person that matters.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/KennethMFarrow/status/1120835730782195712

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

hahahahaha holy poo poo. Best 30 for 30 ever

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Abolishing the draft would own though.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Abolishing the draft would own though.

Nah the draft is fun as hell. Plus it's how we keep Yankees-style dynasties from happening (or try to do so).

It's definitely not fair to the player though. I've always found it extremely ironic that a priority undrafted free agent is actually in a much better situation than a guy drafted in the last round. They get to choose which team they want to sign with AND they negotiate payment which often exceeds that of the draft picks.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1123362304224051200

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

One weird trick Dave Ramsey doesn't want you to know

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Long read from SI on AAF.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/30/alliance-american-football-aaf-collapse-charlie-ebersol-tom-dundon

The company was run like a Silicon Valley startup that had access to unlimited VC funds even though it very much did not and promised tech it couldn't deliver.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

From that SI aritical, this is the first detailed explanation I've seen of what this magical app Dundon was apparently so excited about actually entailed

quote:

About that tech. Last July, half a year before a snap of football was played, a small number of early-hire employees hopped on a video conference call to preview an artist’s rendering of the technology their outfit hoped to develop. First they were shown a smartphone, which in this demo displayed a Steelers game shot from a low SkyCam angle, playing out on a large video tile in the center. Flanking that were four smaller tiles, each showing the same action, zoomed in on an individual player. Touching a player’s tile brought up a display at the bottom of the screen where you could view his energy bar, showing his level of fatigue, or engage in a variety of gambling-type activities. Probabilities for the upcoming play popped up, and the user could wager “points”—an effort, at least initially, to distance the project from actual gambling—on, say, whether the Steelers would run or pass, or in which direction.

It was an aspirational look at a still-developing product, but the intent was clear: Pair mountains of historical football data with machine learning to create predictive analytics the likes of which the sporting world had never seen. How likely is Mike Tomlin to pass on second-and-10 out of 11 personnel against nickel D? Then feed that data to viewers instantly and ask, How much do you want to bet on it? One employee who saw the presentation remembers thinking, If fans can gamble on this, you’re pretty much printing money. This is the golden ticket.

Edit: actually the article claims Dundon didn't seem that interested in it, in which case I guess he was actually dumber than we thought?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 1, 2019

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

quote:

But withdrawals from Fowler’s various foreign and domestic banks were suddenly,and without a full explanation to the Alliance’s board, held up around Christmas.

That explanation would come months later. The Department of Justice announced on April 30 that Fowler had been charged with bank fraud and operating an unlicensed money-transmitting business. (Fowler had a detention hearing scheduled for May 2 in Arizona; an Israeli alleged co-conspirator remains at large.)

Reggie Fowler loving sucks lmao

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Long read from SI on AAF.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/30/alliance-american-football-aaf-collapse-charlie-ebersol-tom-dundon

The company was run like a Silicon Valley startup that had access to unlimited VC funds even though it very much did not and promised tech it couldn't deliver.

I love when some enigmatic jackass starts a new company with no vision, realistic concept or money, but lies his way to VC funding and then it's all the workers that get hosed at the end when the cash taps turn off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
apparently the AAF was paying the networks to air the games, and it looked like none of the networks were planing to pay for the games, which is why Dundon shut it down.

I sort of can't believe that? With as well as the AAF games were doing ratings wise, and how desperate networks seem to be for live sports, they weren't willing to pay anything for the AAF?